DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Subwoofers...Yes or No?

DJGEE$ 6:19 PM - 27 May, 2017
Hello, I'm scheduled to DJ for an outdoor graduation party for about 50-100 people. Should I use subs along with tops or just use the tops alone? I've heard that subs will not be beneficial to use in an outdoor setting no matter how the subs are placed.
Hanginon 6:57 PM - 27 May, 2017
Quote:
I've heard that subs will not be beneficial to use in an outdoor setting no matter how the subs are placed.

Where did you hear that?
desmorider 7:48 PM - 27 May, 2017
Quote:
Hello, I'm scheduled to DJ for an outdoor graduation party for about 50-100 people. Should I use subs along with tops or just use the tops alone? I've heard that subs will not be beneficial to use in an outdoor setting no matter how the subs are placed.

Huh?
Don't take any further advice from the person that told you that.
DJGEE$ 10:30 PM - 27 May, 2017
They told me that bass is directional and that with all the open space, it has nothing to bounce off of. He said the best thing I could do in outdoor scenarios is to purchase woofers instead of subwoofers.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:36 PM - 27 May, 2017
Pretty sure bass is not directional
Hanginon 12:20 AM - 28 May, 2017
Quote:
They told me that bass is directional and that with all the open space, it has nothing to bounce off of. He said the best thing I could do in outdoor scenarios is to purchase woofers instead of subwoofers.

@desmorider is correct - you are dealing with someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

If you are smart enough to post here, you should be smart enough to do some research on the Internet. Start here -
eaw.com

Sitting a woofer (or subwoofer, silly frequency dependent semantics) on the ground is exactly the same as Half Sphere Radiation.
pdidy 12:35 AM - 28 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Huh?
Don't take any further advice from the person that told you that.

+1
Quote:

We can confirm your friend knows nothing of what he speaks....
Ulrich von Hurtem 5:04 PM - 28 May, 2017
There's no walls to reflect, and boost bass, so just give up? Forget that! The solution is bring more subs.

Actually, the answer is always Moar subs.
deezlee 1:28 AM - 29 May, 2017
Yes
DJ Fairground 2:43 PM - 30 May, 2017
Depending on how much area you're attempting to cover, two QSC k12.2s or similar mains would be plenty. It's a graduation party, not a concert. Subwoofers would give you a fuller sound and more low end bass. I did a charity event Saturday and the area was a few acres, but a majority of the 200 or so people were in an area the size of a basketball court. The K.2s at 50% volume were perfect. I was playing a majority of R&B and Pop.
Anomoly 3:37 AM - 31 May, 2017
For 50-100 people subs are not really needed. Unless you want to get a workout in before and after the gig. Or if you have some crappy tops and/or small tops 10" or smaller.
deezlee 3:42 AM - 31 May, 2017
Bring a sub
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:03 AM - 1 June, 2017
Inside with 50-100 people you can get away with no sub depending on size of room and type of speaker. Outside you should have the sub(s)
DJ Tecniq 6:41 AM - 1 June, 2017
If you want the kids to feel the bass by all means use a sub. 1 is ideal for 50-100 kids.
DJGEE$ 2:45 PM - 12 June, 2017
Thanx for the responses guys! One more question....Coupled or not?
Hanginon 3:50 PM - 12 June, 2017
If they are identical, coupled is better.
TjDaDj 4:59 PM - 12 June, 2017
I've used my sub for gigs outdoors and they give that extra oomph mate. Crowds loved it. Captures certain frequencies that can't be heard with regular speakers. Your biggest problem would be neighbors complaining (if you will be djing at night) bringing unwanted pigs in uniforms to shut ya down tbh
Hanginon 5:12 PM - 12 June, 2017
Do not confuse "good sound" with "loud sound". In fact, one of the real advantages of subs is you can have a deep, rich, full sound without having to crank the system.

It would also be a good idea to see if you can get a noise permit from the local city or town offices (it's usually free). Cops really don't like to get involved, but they have to when someone complains. You show them the noise permit, it gets the monkey off of their backs, everyone's happy except the complainer.