DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mixars "Primo" a VCI 380 replacement?

577er 8:59 PM - 23 May, 2017
First controller that looks close the VCI 380. About damn time! If only it had those VCI platters.

www.google.com
dj_soo 3:19 AM - 24 May, 2017
This will likely be my next controller. The fact that it's DVS ready means it's basically a fully featured mixer as well. The Duo has been getting good reviews for sound and build so hopefully they keep it up for their products.
DJ Tecniq 12:21 AM - 29 August, 2017
Sad to say guys Mixars has no official ETA on the Primo and has canceled all backorders. Very disappointed as I had high hopes and have been dying for a 2 ch controller w/dvs...Roland 505 is still an option but I don't like the small pitch sliders. Damn shame
deejayfatcat 5:39 AM - 29 August, 2017
I know it's missing some of the functionality, but I'm having a great time with a denon mc4000. That Mixars looks really nice.
JDforKing 2:13 PM - 29 August, 2017
I'm thankful my vci 380 is still working well.
JDforKing 2:14 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:

I also have a pioneer ddj sx and an sx2, but i use my vci 380 for most mobiles
DTweed 6:52 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:

I have to replace my fader but if the Roland TR 505 is an option i might look into it. The 808 seems good. I like the platter feel but it seemed like a slight delay in the fader. hope this was just due to me not being a great scratcher vs. the machine sucking
Robejz 10:46 AM - 30 August, 2017
That's terrible news. I've been waiting since January for more info on the Primo, and now I'm starting to lose hope.

I can't get my 380 to work properly no matter what version of SDJ or OS I have on my Macbook and I'm sick of taking my turntables every time I take a mobile gig.

All I want is a 2 channel controller with some sort of jogwheel display to help with scratching/juggling, but I can't find a suitable alternative anywhere.
dj_soo 12:33 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Sad to say guys Mixars has no official ETA on the Primo and has canceled all backorders. Very disappointed as I had high hopes and have been dying for a 2 ch controller w/dvs...Roland 505 is still an option but I don't like the small pitch sliders. Damn shame

really? Where did you hear this from?
DJ Tecniq 1:19 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
really? Where did you hear this from?
Kevin from agiprodj he contacted them to find out the status on the controller cause I was about to preorder.
DJ Tecniq 1:20 AM - 31 August, 2017
And this was Mixars response when I asked about it through DM.

"Ciao Steven
Thanks for contacting us and your interest in Primo!
We don't have a release date or further infos yet, stay tuned!
Thanks again and have a great day!
Your Mixars Team
www.mixars.com
dj_soo 3:12 AM - 31 August, 2017
well that sucks - I was planning on getting it in the winter.

Guess that's more money that will go to the 72.
dj_soo 3:35 AM - 31 August, 2017
I wonder what the holdup is? I suppose I'd rather see them get it right instead of releasing it with a bunch of problems...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:09 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
That's terrible news. I've been waiting since January for more info on the Primo, and now I'm starting to lose hope.

I can't get my 380 to work properly no matter what version of SDJ or OS I have on my Macbook and I'm sick of taking my turntables every time I take a mobile gig.

All I want is a 2 channel controller with some sort of jogwheel display to help with scratching/juggling, but I can't find a suitable alternative anywhere.

The Denon MC 4000 is a pretty decent controller, maybe check into that one as well.

I've had one for awhile now and never had a problem yet. It is a solid little unit.
Robejz 11:30 AM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
And this was Mixars response when I asked about it through DM.

Thanks for contacting us and your interest in Primo!
We don't have a release date or further infos yet, stay tuned!
Thanks again and have a great day!
Your Mixars Team
www.mixars.com

i messaged them through Facebook yesterday and got the same response, word for word.

What do people think is a good replacement for the 380? If the Primo doesn't materialise I might go with a DDJ SR.
05spoof 1:21 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
What do people think is a good replacement for the 380? If the Primo doesn't materialise I might go with a DDJ SR.

505 probably...if cutting is your thing. There "might" be more latency on the SR when it comes to that. Maybe someone who has tried an SR/SX/SX2 and the 808 could chime in.
deejayfatcat 3:47 PM - 31 August, 2017
How about the reloop beatpad 2?
Gio Alex 3:53 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
How about the reloop beatpad 2?

Is it a standalone mixer as well?
deejayfatcat 4:12 PM - 31 August, 2017
No and in fact I just noticed it doesn't support sdj. One of the things I love about the mc4000 is that I can use it with my laptop with sdj, and my iPad or even iPhone in a pinch with djay.
DJ Tecniq 4:51 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
I wonder what the holdup is? I suppose I'd rather see them get it right instead of releasing it with a bunch of problems...
Who know the Quattro is expected to come October. The Primo at NAMM earlier this year was just a prototype I bet they haven't even built it yet. I think they just wanted to get something "flashy" out there to compete with other brands and what better way with a 2 ch controller w/DVS. Makes sense
DJ Tecniq 4:54 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
The Denon MC 4000 is a pretty decent controller, maybe check into that one as well.

I've had one for awhile now and never had a problem yet. It is a solid little unit.
I'm sure the Denon MC4000 is a pretty decent controller however it doesn't have the ability for DVS (to use t-tables or cdjs) which is why the Primo would of been a big seller.
DJ Tecniq 4:57 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
If the Primo doesn't materialise I might go with a DDJ SR.
I highly suggest reconsidering the DDJSR it is a very old outdated controller it came out like 5 yrs ago and I have also seen issues with the unit...my friend had one for about 6 months and his ch fader just went out. When it gets halfway the sound just cuts off damn thing still looks brand new. I'm sure you can get a new one recently built from a diff manufacture date that's what I always look for is when the product was manufactured.
DJ Tecniq 5:02 PM - 31 August, 2017
Something to consider besides the SR is the Roland 505 which is a 2 ch controller w/808 beatpad w/DVS support and has about the same size pitch faders as the SR. Hell I may even get it since the Primo is non existent.
dj_soo 5:38 PM - 31 August, 2017
SR platters feel like shit to me.

I'm just sick of decent quality controllers being huge and the portable ones being more or less beginner toys.

The 4000, doesn't have nearly the feature set I want and the 6000 is way too cramped and doesn't follow the standard SDJ design.

Primo was it for me. The 505 might be cool, but I really wanted those long throw pitch faders after dealing with the tiny VCI 380 pitch for so long.
DJ Tecniq 5:54 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Primo was it for me. The 505 might be cool, but I really wanted those long throw pitch faders after dealing with the tiny VCI 380 pitch for so long.
I have to agree with you. I have the SB2 and while it's a great lil controller the small pitch faders are a pain in the ass a lot of times it skips bpms so I'm constantly figgiting with it. It's not a full pitch slider which is very aggravating. Say I want to match up a beat to 100 bpm well the pitch will go to either 101 or 99 and I have to adjust the playing track. Never realized the difference of a full pitch fader till now. It makes finer adjustments for mixing purposes.
Logisticalstyles 5:56 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Say I want to match up a beat to 100 bpm well the pitch will go to either 101 or 99 and I have to adjust the playing track.

I don't have that issue with mine. I've been able to dial in the pitch without any issues.
DJ Tecniq 6:17 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Say I want to match up a beat to 100 bpm well the pitch will go to either 101 or 99 and I have to adjust the playing track.

I don't have that issue with mine. I've been able to dial in the pitch without any issues.
Wow really I was told because it's not a 50mm full pitch fader they cut corners. I can get the playing track to 100 bpm but the opposite deck to match it up doesn't always get to 100 bpm it will either go to 101 bpm or 99 bpm. Thought it was maybe cause of pitch n time.
DJ Tecniq 6:18 PM - 31 August, 2017
It doesn't happen for every song but quite a few times in constantly trying to match it up to the correct bpm.
Gio Alex 6:19 PM - 31 August, 2017
Quote:
It doesn't happen for every song but quite a few times in constantly trying to match it up to the correct bpm.

Do they have proper beat grid?
dj_soo 6:51 PM - 31 August, 2017
it's not terrible on the 380 and I can match fine, just be nice to have bigger faders after years of working with Vestax controllers. The 505 is also pretty big and I want something as close in size to my 380 as I can get.
Robejz 12:16 PM - 1 September, 2017
The SR is an old unit but I'm getting sick of waiting around. I was wondering about the possibility of a SR mk2 but I doubt Pioneer will bring out any more Serato controllers.
The 505 looks great, but I don't think I'll use the drums/ sequencer. For me that just adds more bulk to the unit for something I don't need. And the 303 looks more like a toy.
Maybe I'm expecting too much. But all I want is a small 2 channel controller with decent jogs. I could even forfeit DVS.
The Primo on show in January was definitely an empty box with pretty lights. I'm gutted there's been no development since then.
DJ Tecniq 12:22 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Does that matter? Cause I never beat grid my tracks anyways too much prep. Never had this problem with the SR it was usually spot on. It is very weird and a few times with the SB2 I'll slightly move the pitch fader but SDJ is behind on the adjustment of bpm numbers changing...like I gotta give it a push start.
Gio Alex 1:48 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does that matter? Cause I never beat grid my tracks anyways too much prep. Never had this problem with the SR it was usually spot on. It is very weird and a few times with the SB2 I'll slightly move the pitch fader but SDJ is behind on the adjustment of bpm numbers changing...like I gotta give it a push start.

It was mostly a guess, I'm not 100% sure on this. But I would imagine if it's a track with fluctuating tempo and there's no proper beatgrid then it would not help it stay with a locked tempo.
dj_soo 5:33 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
The SR is an old unit but I'm getting sick of waiting around. I was wondering about the possibility of a SR mk2 but I doubt Pioneer will bring out any more Serato controllers.
The 505 looks great, but I don't think I'll use the drums/ sequencer. For me that just adds more bulk to the unit for something I don't need. And the 303 looks more like a toy.
Maybe I'm expecting too much. But all I want is a small 2 channel controller with decent jogs. I could even forfeit DVS.
The Primo on show in January was definitely an empty box with pretty lights. I'm gutted there's been no development since then.

Me too, although I would also like dvs. I'm pretty pissed the primo isn't coming out this year - back at namm, they said it was supposed to come out in like may...
577er 5:55 PM - 1 September, 2017
It's beyond me that no one has bought the rights to make 380s under a different brand. That thing was perfect when it worked 😂. The only design fail (besides QC) are the pots that stick out so far.

The other weird thing is Mixars is part of RCF in someway so they are part of a massive mover in the audio world. If they can't get this thing to market it might be more to do with the math than the technology. Maybe $200 toys and $1500 professional (toys) are the only viable niches in the digital Dj market?
dj_soo 8:27 PM - 1 September, 2017
if they didn't want to release it, why bother displaying it so early on? One thing I do like about how Rane and Pioneer do it is they announce something and it's out to market within a year if not less.
DJ Tecniq 8:32 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
if they didn't want to release it, why bother displaying it so early on? One thing I do like about how Rane and Pioneer do it is they announce something and it's out to market within a year if not less.
My guess Mixars demo'ed the prototype at NAMM to just get something "flashy" to market. I guess they spent more time on the Quattro instead of the Primo. I just be one of the 1% that is tired of 4 ch controllers... a majority of us DJ's use 2 channels esp us mobile guys. I'm sure we'll see the Primo but it prob won't be till xmas.
DJ Tecniq 8:32 PM - 1 September, 2017
Must be*
DJ Tecniq 8:36 PM - 1 September, 2017
Here's what interesting. Idjnow used to have the Primo as advertised as "Expected august 2017" now it says "September 2017" they must of just changed that cause I've been watching it...🤔 www.idjnow.com
dj_soo 8:49 PM - 1 September, 2017
B&H have it listed as an October release
dj_soo 8:49 PM - 1 September, 2017
I checked with my local gear store and they have no release info while the later-announced Rane 72 already has a release date.
DJ Tecniq 8:58 PM - 1 September, 2017
Quote:
B&H have it listed as an October release
Yeah diff retail stores have all different dates it's starting to piss me off but I hope something else comes soon that is 2 ch w/DVS with full pitch sliders.
dj_soo 11:25 PM - 1 September, 2017
I just want tension adjustable jogs with an position marker and that just doesn't seem to be a priority for anyone these days.

A smaller, 2 channel version of the denon mc7000 would be pretty dope, but I doubt it'll happen. The 4000 is lacking in controls (having only 4 pad cues) while the 6000 doesnt follow the standard.
DJ Tecniq 12:21 AM - 2 September, 2017
Quote:
A smaller, 2 channel version of the denon mc7000 would be pretty dope, but I doubt it'll happen. The 4000 is lacking in controls (having only 4 pad cues) while the 6000 doesnt follow the standard.
I totally agree. I was really wanting the mc7000 but I really don't want 4 channels I'd rather have 2 for more room for my Technics. The 2 ch controller market is really limited.
DJ Tecniq 8:55 PM - 2 September, 2017
Hey guys here is an update from thedjhookup.com rep on the Primo.

"Here's the update from our manufacturer's rep

I have heard nothing about the Primo except our ETA was supposed to be in Sept, but the QUATTRO wasn’t supposed to make it this year. However I do not see any confirmed dates in my system, except for the MIXARS CUT (now 11/10/17), and More DUO MKII’s and TURN TABLES (09/05/17).

I've asked him to explicitly confirm with Primo ETA and he told me he's still waiting. Will update you accordingly."
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:39 AM - 7 September, 2017
Here's your next controller that's DVS ready, Watchm.youtube.com

Pioneer comes through yet again 👍🏾
Robejz 11:43 AM - 7 September, 2017
Well I wasn't expecting that. This could be the one. I'd still prefer some sort of jog wheel display but beggars can't be choosers.
DJ Tecniq 11:46 AM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
Here's your next controller that's DVS ready, Watchm.youtube.com

Pioneer comes through yet again 👍🏾
Yup already preordering this will be out end of this month. Pioneer is killing it Mixars gets left in the dust...they had their chance to be the first 2 ch controller w/DVS but they missed that mark...
Logisticalstyles 1:24 PM - 7 September, 2017
I've been wanting to upgrade from an SB2 to an SR but was worried about an SR2 coming out right after I bought it. I'm glad i waited.
Logisticalstyles 1:25 PM - 7 September, 2017
Quote:
I'd still prefer some sort of jog wheel display

yeah, I was a bit disappointed when I noticed there was none.
577er 2:31 PM - 7 September, 2017
Well ok then, mixars truly missed the window of opportunity on that one.

I like the look of this but it's just slightly larger than the SR so it might not fit in the same flight case.

If the mic input on this isn't garbage I'll probably stick a Shure SCM268 underneath it and see if I can get away without a post SR2 line mixer.
dj_soo 3:39 PM - 7 September, 2017
I hate the pioneer platters so I still want to try the sr2 before going that route,

But yea, mixers fucked up by not getting the primo out to the market before this got announced.
DJ Tecniq 5:42 PM - 7 September, 2017
As for right now the Roland DJ 505 & SR2 are the top choices for a 2 ch controller w/DVS. Or you can get a Numark NS6II. Mixars had so much time to put there's out after constant date changes. Too bad they had their chance.
dj_soo 6:28 PM - 7 September, 2017
Would still prefer the primo to either of those.

No jog indicators and small pitch sliders on both.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:36 PM - 7 September, 2017
Just got the 808,if the 505 is anything like it in terms sound and tight jog wheels I will strongly recommend it.

Hopefully they worked on the dead zone around the 0 on the pitch fader, and 505 is the usual layout too.
577er 6:37 PM - 1 February, 2019
B&H says the primo is “in stock”...

www.bhphotovideo.com

Who’s going to be the first to try it 😁
dj_soo 7:04 PM - 1 February, 2019
Someone in another primo thread already ordered one.

Really want to try out this controller...
JDfunky 11:54 PM - 29 April, 2019
Mixars have told me that there is no distributor in Australia where I live, so I think I am going to give up on the Primo to replace my Vestax (the right platter is doing some weird stuff, including making the right playing track speed up infinitely while playing) and go for the Denon MC4000 (I don't need DVS)