DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any advice for switching from Scratch Live to Serato DJ (need a new mixer)

djmils 12:32 AM - 23 May, 2017
To any who would like to give any advice on updating:

Have been out of the game for a few years, but ready to get back into it. Yes I have willfully been under a rock and haven't paid attention to any new/updates coming from Rane/Serato; until recently.

Used to roll with two Technics tables and a Rane TTM-57SL mixer, that I loved. Now realizing I cannot use this mixer because Scratch Live is no longer supported so I need to make some changes since my MacBook software is all up to date (don't really want to back track on operating systems).

Looking for any advice on gear to purchase to make the change; not sure if I want to pony up for the Rane TTM-57 MK II mixer or go with something else, since I really enjoyed the 57 SL edition. I guess the big question is if Serato/Rane are going to make any massive hardware changes again in the future, which would influence my decision.

Understand this topic was literally an issue 3 years ago...yes I am dated. But I'll take any advice people are willing to throw and find out what pieces of equipment to gravitate towards or avoid entirely. Plan on sticking with the vinyl tables and MacBook, just need a new mixer (don't need to mix more than two tables at a time on a mixer).

Thanks!

-Milly
goMatriks 5:37 AM - 23 May, 2017
Hi!
Why don't you just use the serato DJ-Software with your SL-Interface? Software 1.9.6 works fine. Just download and install it while your Interface is connected. Then you can also update your Firmware...
I have a Ecler HAK 380 mixer, no USB or such Thing. Use this with mit SL3-interface, macbook (2008) and Technics 1200's. Just came from switching from Scratch Live to SDJ.
In my opinion there is no Need of buying a new mixer ;-)

cheers
djmils 1:27 PM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:
Hi!
Why don't you just use the serato DJ-Software with your SL-Interface? Software 1.9.6 works fine. Just download and install it while your Interface is connected. Then you can also update your Firmware...
I have a Ecler HAK 380 mixer, no USB or such Thing. Use this with mit SL3-interface, macbook (2008) and Technics 1200's. Just came from switching from Scratch Live to SDJ.
In my opinion there is no Need of buying a new mixer ;-)

cheers

Thanks for the response. So just to make sure I understand exactly what you're saying. Set up my equipment as normal....plug in my TTM-57SL mixer (since that is where the Scratch Live comes from, I don't have the SL3 and SL4 interface), then download the Serato DJ software at the same time and it should update the firmware of the mixer and overwrite the Scratch Live software as well?

If I got that right, I thought the TTM-57SL would only support the Scratch Live software...hence the need for an upgrade. If I am wrong then I am stoked about it!

Thanks
goMatriks 1:38 PM - 23 May, 2017
Sorry didn't think about that if it will work without a separate Serato Interface... my fault.
The TT57SL will not work with SeratoDJ because the USB 1.1 is too slow
-> dj.rane.com

So you have to buy a newer mixer or a Serato / Denon Interface :-/
Mr. Goodkat 1:48 AM - 24 May, 2017
im looking at the mixars duo, they lowered the price to 699(from 999) in the u.s.
djmils 3:28 AM - 24 May, 2017
Quote:
im looking at the mixars duo, they lowered the price to 699(from 999) in the u.s.

Didn't even know these were a thing. Look pretty legit. Know anyone who's used them at all? And which retailer dropped the price for them?
dj_soo 4:30 AM - 24 May, 2017
never used it, but I hear good things about build and sound. Biggest complaint would be that the post fade effects don't work on the crossfader which is likely only an issue if you scratch.
Mr. Goodkat 5:55 AM - 24 May, 2017
havent known anyone either, but out of the few reviews from blogs or purchasers seem to be positive. It has xlr/1/4 inch/2 rca outs.

most of the online places have 30 day guarantees or some sort of return.

the little mixars primo is also interesting since it has dvs and a mixer that you can play thru without serato for 599.
pdidy 10:43 AM - 24 May, 2017
Considering you don't really NEED a new mixer for your style of play and you're happy with the rane 57......If I were you i'd simply partition my harddrive and set aside enough space for dj purposes, install yosemite and done. This now allows you keep your new macos sierra and dj with scratchlive & Yosemite on a dual boot system at no additional cost. Best of both worlds....
blackavenger 8:04 PM - 25 May, 2017
Quote:
.If I were you i'd simply partition my harddrive and set aside enough space for dj purposes, install yosemite and done.

I was going to suggest the exact same thing.
djmils 12:02 PM - 29 May, 2017
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I appreciate it.
IT'S MY BEAT 5:57 PM - 30 May, 2017
I recently saw a youtube video where this guy used an Akai AMX mixer in place of his old SL Box and was still able to use his existing mixer ........so basically he only had to purchase the AMX and still keep his same equipment (mixer) and it allowed him to use Serato DJ...I'm thinking the same logic can be used in your situation.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ BSOD 1:17 PM - 7 June, 2017
Switching to Serato DJ??? Get a DJM-900 mixer it is a very good one.
DJ Guayo 8:02 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Considering you don't really NEED a new mixer for your style of play and you're happy with the rane 57......If I were you i'd simply partition my harddrive and set aside enough space for dj purposes, install yosemite and done. This now allows you keep your new macos sierra and dj with scratchlive & Yosemite on a dual boot system at no additional cost. Best of both worlds....

How do you get a copy of Yosemite? Do you select it from the App Store?
pdidy 8:52 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

How do you get a copy of Yosemite? Do you select it from the App Store?

Yes App Store or get a copy from a friend.
Jvine 6:05 PM - 8 June, 2017
You can't get previous OS X in the app store. You have to go to an Apple store to have them "downgrade" you or order a disc/thumbdrive of whatever OS X off of eBay(wouldn't trust that)

Anyway, OP, I was in the same boat as you, but never took an extended period of time off. I was bouncing back and forth between SSL and SDJ. I'm a Rane junkie, and at one time I had a 56, 56s, 57sl, and a 61 also and SL1 and SL3, all at the same time.

I was bouncing back and forth between SDJ and SSL on my mid 2012 13" MBP. Maybe it's just resistance to change and the look of it, but I just never got comfortable with SDJ like I am/was with SSL. Plus, I had 3 freezes with SDJ in those few months, never had that problem with SSL(my fault, I'm sure).

I ended up fully reverting back to SSL. I have zero problems, and am very happy with the decision I made.
pdidy 7:07 PM - 8 June, 2017
Quote:
You can't get previous OS X in the app store.

If your Mac ran OS X Yosemite at any point in the past, you can re-download it from the Mac App Store. To do this, open up the App Store on your Mac, which can be found in the Applications folder. From there, click on the Purchased tab at the top and then find OS X Yosemite in the list.
Jvine 7:18 PM - 8 June, 2017
^ My Bad, I was thinking of my situation, where I was on Mountain Lion or something and El Capitan was the current version at the time I wanted to go to Yosemite. Sorry for the misinformation, OP.