Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Relocate lost files does not work in Serato DJ

djkulo 1:02 PM - 9 May, 2017
Relocate Lost Files does not work in my Serato DJ.
I have already sent a Help Request Ticket to support and waiting for reply.

When I drop a Folder (where The missing files are located) in to the Relocate Lost Files box it starst a search and comes back with o files found.

Anyone else with this problem?

I contacted them the last time, last year 2016 in April and I was asked to use Serato Scratch Live 2.5.
For some reason my SSL keeps crashing and uninstalled it.

But I cannot Reinstall it again in my Mac Sierra OSX, Installation fails
JPLEM 6:33 PM - 15 May, 2017
I just had the same problem! I'm curious to know how to resolve this. I ended up having to move my files/folders back to where they originally were to "fix" the problem. Not the best solution. I contacted Serato help and still working with them to try and fix the issue. No luck so far...
Rave-olu-son 7:26 AM - 9 November, 2017
Same probleme..
Serato, Support
Chez P 2:26 AM - 10 November, 2017
@Rave-olu-son

Can you get in touch with Serato support about this issue? Please click the 'Open Help Request' button to the right of this message.

Cheers.
DJSEND!T 1:00 AM - 30 November, 2017
I have the same problem. I have 24,000 music files. I got a new computer. The user name changed on my new computer, meaning the file path has changed for every single file. Example:
user/ronnie/music = Old file path
user/ronni / music = New file path

I have tried to relocate the whole database. I have tried to relocate parts, one folder at time, roughly 200-3000 songs at one time. No matter what I do, Serato DJ crashes.

It's 2017, how come Serato DJ can't handle this operation? Why do I have to download Scratch Live to try to fix this ?

Also, suggestion, why does the root start at user, it should start at Music/etc.....
DJSEND!T 5:41 PM - 30 November, 2017
Thank you Scratch Live!! I used Scratch Live to relocate files. Everything working fine now.

Every legendary DJ I know, still uses Scratch Live because it is stable.

How is it that we are in 2017, and Serato DJ is not stable? I have had multiple crashes during big gigs and lost creditability and money due to Serato DJ. For the bigger gigs, I use Scratch Live because I am afraid of Serato DJ. It's not stable and the sound quality is not as good as Scratch Live. But as technology changes, Scratch Live no longer works with the new cool stuff. Ugh!!

Serato Team, please fix Relocate Lost Files function in Serato DJ. It doesn't work. Let me know how I can help.

Thx
SEND!T
charlee1985 7:05 PM - 30 November, 2017
I found out that if I select to show all songs and then drag and drop the folder to the relocate files, it works for me. Else it just finds moved files in the crate i am at
Lou Dog 7:35 AM - 4 December, 2017
Can't you just keep the same username as the old laptop? That way path would be the same
Lou Dog 7:41 AM - 4 December, 2017
Also like someone else said it does seem to work much better on SSL. Serato has even recommended it.

I have seen SSL "fail" on instillation but if you look in your applications it's actually in there and willl open
RiceCube 4:10 AM - 16 April, 2018
Can they just take the "Relocate Lost Files" code from SSL and replace the crappy code in SDJ? Makes no sense that the code in SSL 5+ years ago is better than SDJ today. The Relocate Lost Files feature never works for me in SDJ. I haven't tried installing SSL so I guess I'll give that a try. Wait, too late. Last night I already deleted all of the invalid entries so my old playlists are all destroyed. Oh well.
Dj ILLManik 10:51 PM - 22 September, 2018
Downgraded hoping this issue would work but still nothing can someone from serato get on this issue I’m getting sick of serato dj freezing when I hit the relocate button then having to force quit and restart losing any changes I made
xunfusion 7:08 AM - 10 November, 2018
Hey guys, I'm also having this issue, driving me crazy! I've tried relocating the lost files by dragging the exact folder where the files are located, and it doesn't work, serato cannot find these files. All I did was migrate my physical music files to an external drive and a lot of my serato playlist are ruined (tracks showing up as missing). Could not get Serato Live to install on Mac OSX High Sierra, not compatible. Any other fixes out there?? This seems like such a basic issue...
YZ 9:03 PM - 12 November, 2018
I've said it before, Serato really needs to re-design this dinosaur feature... it's by far the most time consuming, non-user friendly part of the app bar none. There are too many pre-steps and it needs some baked in scan intelligence. I have friends call me all the time asking for help too, it's a big enough problem to at least get the ball rolling. Re-write it.
DJOfFy 11:47 AM - 16 November, 2018
Quote:
Thank you Scratch Live!! I used Scratch Live to relocate files. Everything working fine now.

Every legendary DJ I know, still uses Scratch Live because it is stable.

How is it that we are in 2017, and Serato DJ is not stable? I have had multiple crashes during big gigs and lost creditability and money due to Serato DJ. For the bigger gigs, I use Scratch Live because I am afraid of Serato DJ. It's not stable and the sound quality is not as good as Scratch Live. But as technology changes, Scratch Live no longer works with the new cool stuff. Ugh!!

Serato Team, please fix Relocate Lost Files function in Serato DJ. It doesn't work. Let me know how I can help.

Thx
SEND!T

we are now 2018 soon 19 and they still have this problem... :\
chmbrs 4:14 PM - 9 January, 2019
Workaround:

If you have renamed a folder on your hard drive, Serato will not be able to relocate the files within it. Creating a new folder and moving the files to it will allow Serato to successfully relocate the files.

It seems as though Serato caches the file structure of imported files and is unable to understand that a folder name has been renamed.
DjWoody 2:05 PM - 10 May, 2019
Quote:

This worked great for me! Thanks!
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:12 PM - 10 May, 2019
Serato are an absolute joke on this issue,

They acknowledge that it doesn't work properly in sdj and even tell you to use their unsupported scratch live to fix it, but if that fucks up anything they won't support you as they don't support scratch live anymore

Makes you wonder if the developers are incompetent or the big wigs won't allow development time to resolve all these issues
DJ dVO 1:59 PM - 2 June, 2019
FOLKS!

FOUND A FIX to the "RELOCATE LOST FILES" issue.

FIRST YOU NEED TO UNTOGGLE the "Show iTunes Library" in the Setting.

Then Click "Files" and then Click "Relocate Lost Files".

Enjoy.
Dj Ray - California 10:06 PM - 10 August, 2019
same problem here.... tried DJ dVO solution... didnt work for me.
DJOfFy 12:27 AM - 11 August, 2019
Quote:
FOLKS!

FOUND A FIX to the "RELOCATE LOST FILES" issue.

FIRST YOU NEED TO UNTOGGLE the "Show iTunes Library" in the Setting.

Then Click "Files" and then Click "Relocate Lost Files".

Enjoy.

I don't even have itunes so it's untoggled to start with.
Doesn't work :(
discjockeyR 2:02 PM - 17 September, 2019
Quote:
Workaround:

If you have renamed a folder on your hard drive, Serato will not be able to relocate the files within it. Creating a new folder and moving the files to it will allow Serato to successfully relocate the files.

It seems as though Serato caches the file structure of imported files and is unable to understand that a folder name has been renamed.

The chmbrs solution work and thanks for this. Anybody else found any other solution instead of creating again new folders?

Thanks
Millz 9:45 AM - 17 October, 2019
Why is it, that the library features are so outdated? In Virtual DJ, if you have a library issue you just right click and click "Recurse" and ALL the dead files, etc are gone. Dear Serato, please spend some time and get your library features updated so that folks dont have so many problems.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:36 PM - 17 October, 2019
Serato is a money hungry company now and if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense
DJ JulioYEG 6:09 PM - 17 October, 2019
serato has gone downhill but its still the best software. the support sucks lol
Millz 6:52 PM - 17 October, 2019
I will say that I filed a ticket w support and they promptly replied. Some of my questions were simple ones, and the guy was professional. Moving forward I hope the folks at Serato understand that the way their library is set up is out of date and needs some time put into it to get the few things I see problems with resolved. Thanks!
DJ JulioYEG 6:56 PM - 17 October, 2019
what if i told you to just out into ssl and itll be better
The Farmer 11:33 AM - 21 December, 2019
I finally got the Relocate files button to work.
It seems to have been too many backup drives connected so this may help some peolle.
I have always used Serato DJ Pro and stored all my music files on a laptop and VCI 400 controller.
i have always copied all my music and serato files onto a backup external hard drive for peace of mind. (Drive G)
Then I recently installed a copy of Serato onto my desktop to work on sets.
Serato automatically saves the Serato files to My Music on the C Drive
On my desktop I have two further external hard drives connected as backups for all my Business files (Drives E & H). I routinely save all my files to these E & H drives so avoid clutter on the C drive.
I then regularly saver the Music file information from my laptop and G drive onto these E & H drives as belt & braces backups.
So when I wanted to get my Desktop looking like my laptop with all my current crates and music I first copied the Serato file from my laptop into the My Music section of the C drive as this is where serato boots from on startup, however as all my music files are not stored on the desktop C drive but on the laptop C drive (and G,E, H drives) it would not be able to locate all the music files as the Serato file copied over would say file in C drive but it obviously meant the laptop C drive.
So I would try pointing the relocate feature to the music files in the E drive.
It could not cope with that & i assumed the relocate feature to be not working.
So I 've been playing around and eventually the relocate feature worked.

I can now get a mirror of my laptop on my desktop.
So first copying the Serato File to the desktop C drive and making sure the music file data base in the externa E drive is identical to the music file data base on my laptop, I would disconnect the external H drive and the external G drive .
I then went into all the areas where there was a backup Serato file connected to the desktop and deleted these.
So the only places where the serato files were are the C drive on the desktop and the only place where music files were connected is the E drive.
Then when I start Serato all the crates are correct but all the files are missing as it says location C drive for all the files, because this is where they would have been on the laptop.
I then drag and drop the music file location from the E drive onto the Relocate files button and it found everything perfectly.
It may take a few minutes but all good.
Sorry if a long explanation but if only one serato file and only one music file storage then the relocate files seems to worl OK. Its the multiple files which confuses it. Quite obvious when you think about it. May help someone