Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Clicking/distortion when a track isn't played at original tempo

3CI RINK 6:38 AM - 25 April, 2017
I was using the trial version of serato dj suite and once it ended I decided to upgrade to normal serato dj. Since then I have been getting a clicking noise when I change the tempo of a track. It sounds fine playing at the tracks original tempo but if I change it at all it I get a really annoying clicking noise that is most noticeable in the bass. I am using a Pioneer SB2 and my setup has not changed since I upgraded from the trial version of serato. I tried playing around with the USB buffer latency and it did not go away on any of the latency choices. I have tried using other dj software like mixxx and virtual dj and haven't had this problem occur with either.
Laz219 6:43 AM - 25 April, 2017
Are you using keylock or pitch'n'time?
3CI RINK 8:12 PM - 25 April, 2017
Quote:
Are you using keylock or pitch'n'time?

I am using keylock. The clicking went away when I turned off keylock. I'm fairly new to mixing, is there a better way to change tempo without getting distortion and without the key changing?
Serato, Support
Jordan L 11:20 PM - 25 April, 2017
Hey,

What are the specs of your computer you're using? Keylock should retain the key and quality for pitch movements to some extent but Pitch N Time DJ is the best option for significant pitch changes.

Look forward to hearing back.
Laz219 11:21 PM - 25 April, 2017
Are you seeing the USB drop light?

The keylock processing will use more processor power- you may be getting tiny audio drops that aren't registering to show as a USB drop.
Are you using mac or PC?
What are your specs?
Have you been through the Optimization steps Serato recommend?
3CI RINK 1:11 AM - 26 April, 2017
I tried the optimization steps and they did not seem to help. My specs are mac os 10.12.4, 8gb memory, 2.4 ghz intel core i7, and intel hd graphics. I haven't purchased pitch n time but that shouldn't be the problem, right?
Laz219 1:20 AM - 26 April, 2017
What bitrate are the tracks you have issues with?

With those specs I wouldn't expect you to have any issues.
PnT is a much higher quality algorithm but at the same time- clicks/distortion shouldn't be an issue with the standard keylock on a well spec'd machine.

I'd check for any new firmware for your controller.
Otherwise- maybe Jordan L from Serato will have some more ideas.
3CI RINK 1:39 AM - 26 April, 2017
My tracks range from 128-320 and I get cracking on all of them. On the pioneer website it says that with a mac it automatically updates when the controller is connected so i'm assuming that my controller is up to date. I will look into PnT but I would rather not have to spend the extra money.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 4:06 AM - 26 April, 2017
Quote:
My tracks range from 128-320 and I get cracking on all of them. On the pioneer website it says that with a mac it automatically updates when the controller is connected so i'm assuming that my controller is up to date. I will look into PnT but I would rather not have to spend the extra money.

Cheers for the info.

Nope you shouldn't need PnT to resolve this issue. Your machine looks to have great specs, just wondering if the issue still occurs with your audio buffer turned up to 20?
DJ Tecniq 5:32 AM - 26 April, 2017
Sounds like your master output level is too high in SDJ try putting it at 12 o clock. If it's too high you may hear distortion which I think is your problem.
DJ Tecniq 5:33 AM - 26 April, 2017
Also make sure your gain levels on the SB2 aren't too high as well.
Laz219 6:27 AM - 26 April, 2017
Quote:
Sounds like your master output level is too high in SDJ try putting it at 12 o clock. If it's too high you may hear distortion which I think is your problem.

I wouldn't think so...keylock has a history of causing these kind of problems. Clicks specifically which I wouldn't expect to be a gain issue. Distortion excepted...
DJ Tecniq 9:54 AM - 26 April, 2017
I use keylock/pnt but never heard any clicks/distortion but I also have a high spec Mac so maybe that's why.
3CI RINK 4:20 AM - 27 April, 2017
When I first google PnT I guess the first option was the 800 dollar one which kinda surprised me but when I did more research and realized it was only 20 bucks for pnt dj I just decided to get it and see if it helped. It did! All my tracks sound amazing now no matter what tempo I put them at. Thanks for the help!
MC Apollo 6:24 PM - 28 April, 2017
I have noticed this issue with pitch looper effect.
when in normal playback sound is ok, but when i switch the pitch looper effect on there is this weird growling sound , doe to effect processing the song And i always have my pitch n delay on.
just wondering why would that cause trouble anyways?
3CI RINK 7:49 AM - 11 March, 2018
Not sure if posting here will bump this thread but I started having the same issue again after updating to serato dj pro. I'm using the same mac but with a pioneer sr2 now. I have used the setup for months without issue and then this problem happened after the update. I tried using my friends SX2 and had the same results.
DJ Tecniq 7:21 PM - 11 March, 2018
Quote:
Not sure if posting here will bump this thread but I started having the same issue again after updating to serato dj pro. I'm using the same mac but with a pioneer sr2 now. I have used the setup for months without issue and then this problem happened after the update. I tried using my friends SX2 and had the same results.
I can confirm this does not happen on my system with the SR2 and my OS X is Yosemite. Maybe you need better audio cables or it’s possibly your speakers?
3CI RINK 5:48 AM - 12 March, 2018
I am using High Sierra now, maybe thats it? Its not a speaker issue, ive tried different pairs of headphones and speakers with the same result. Also it happens from the Master as well as thru my headphone cue. When using the new playback with no controller hooked up, the problem does not happen when I change the bpm. It only happens when a controller is connected. I have also checked all my levels, nothing is redlining.
DJ Tecniq 6:28 AM - 12 March, 2018
The controller could even be defective esp if it happens with High Sierra that could be a major indicator that it’s the unit itself. Hopefully this isn’t the case.
3CI RINK 7:55 AM - 12 March, 2018
The same happens with my friends SX2, so unless both our controllers are faulty. I don't know its a weird problem that i'm kinda hoping will fix itself from software updates. Luckily I have an old laptop for gigs but it's a pain transferring music.
3CI RINK 11:07 PM - 15 March, 2018
Just another update, same thing is happening with my friends brand new macbook and his SX2. Didn't start happening to him until he updated to Serato DJ Pro
DJ Tecniq 11:17 PM - 15 March, 2018
Quote:
Just another update, same thing is happening with my friends brand new macbook and his SX2. Didn't start happening to him until he updated to Serato DJ Pro
Then this is definitely a SDJ problem related to High Sierra considering this is not happening for me on Yosemite.
3CI RINK 7:51 PM - 18 March, 2018
It looks like it, after testing more songs I realized that it is happening in the new serato playback mode as well. Even when I change the bpm by just 1.0
3CI RINK 8:27 PM - 18 March, 2018
I tried using Serato 1.9.10 and still get the same problem. It happens in recordings too, soundcloud.com, in the sample i'm not slowing it down more than 5 bpm. You can hear it the most when I eq out everything but the bass.
Dj Wunder 8:52 AM - 24 March, 2018
Quote:
I tried using Serato 1.9.10 and still get the same problem. It happens in recordings too, soundcloud.com, in the sample i'm not slowing it down more than 5 bpm. You can hear it the most when I eq out everything but the bass.

Either there's something wrong with my ears or I need to listen on a system bigger than my laptop speakers, but I don't hear any clicks?
3CI RINK 10:49 PM - 24 March, 2018
You won't hear it on laptop speakers. It goes along with the bass, and it sounds like someone added an extra kick/pop sound to the song that doesn't match the bpm. Like if there is a solid bass note for an entire bar the popping sound hits in the middle of the bar. How often the pop happens depends on the bpm I have changed the song to. Even when I change it to 1 bpm off the original song bpm. It's very annoying when I mainly play trap and the 808's sound terrible and broken up, not one solid note.
KlausMogensen 6:56 AM - 25 March, 2018
As posted above PnT fixes it. In general I never recommend using keylock in Serato without the PnT addon
3CI RINK 3:48 AM - 26 March, 2018
PnT fixed the problem when I first started using serato and I still own PnT now.
3CI RINK 3:23 AM - 8 April, 2018
Figured out the issue. I didn't think it was PnT since serato said it was installed on my computer. After manually looking for the files I found the PnT files did not exist. I deactivated my account for my laptop and reactivated it, and activated PnT again, This downloaded the files and fixed the issue.
Taylorj 10:01 PM - 18 April, 2019
Hey, I have been expereienicing the same issues as you.

A low click / growl sound that is very frustrating to listen to. This doesn't occur when played with other software or on its own thru itunes.

I am using a Pioneer DDJ-SR and do NOT have PnT. Is buying PnT the only fix for this problem?

Please advise!
3CI RINK 10:13 PM - 18 April, 2019
Quote:
Hey, I have been experiencing the same issues as you.

A low click / growl sound that is very frustrating to listen to. This doesn't occur when played with other software or on its own thru itunes.

I am using a Pioneer DDJ-SR and do NOT have PnT. Is buying PnT the only fix for this problem?

Please advise!

When changing the bpm of a track while keylock is on the track is going to distort which causes the clicking. Pitch n Time is just an upgrade to the software that allows you to drastically change the bpm of a track while keeping the same key and quality. The distortion shouldn't be noticeable when changing the bpm by only a couple beats.

My friend mainly mixes house music so he never noticed the clicking since most of the music he plays is between 120-130 bpm.

If you are planning on playing tracks much slower or faster than their original bpm then I would buy pitch n time.
Taylorj 10:29 PM - 18 April, 2019
Quote:
The distortion shouldn't be noticeable when changing the bpm by only a couple beats.

My friend mainly mixes house music so he never noticed the clicking since most of the music he plays is between 120-130 bpm.

First, Thanks for such a QUICK reply. (This issue has been on my mind for months and I finally came across this thread).

I was experimenting last night and it was occurring with only minimal bpm changes -4 bpm. (I play house between 114-124).

At first I thought it was my mp3's, then speakers, USB connection, then the controller itself. Virtual Dj seems to playback fine (but I prefer Serato). I have NOT tried turning off keylock yet so I'll try that tonight and see if it improves.

If not, looks like I'll be purchasing PnT soon ;)
3CI RINK 6:33 AM - 19 April, 2019
Quote:
looks like I'll be purchasing PnT soon ;)

If you are able to record the sound its making and throw it up on soundcloud I would be happy to confirm if its the same problem I was having.
salvo72 8:19 AM - 19 April, 2019
An ch io solito problema...
salvo72 8:20 AM - 19 April, 2019
Problema anche per me ....
Scusate il traduttore fa confusione
salvo72 10:58 AM - 19 April, 2019
Comunque non voglio scoraggiare chi vuole acquistare pnt e vero che risolvi il problema clic ma almeno nel mio caso se attivo mi da un altro problema si sente un suono di fondo artefatto che fa crollare la qualita audio
Ho scritto al supporto e mi hanno detto che ci stanno lavorando
Chiedo a chi ha questo problema di scrivere al supporto almeno se siamo in tanti e possibile che risolvono