Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Tracklisting displayed on an X-Split video feed

Spinchip 8:10 PM - 17 April, 2017
The challenge was to find a way to take the track information from Serato and get it to appear on a live feed (eg. Facebook Livestream, Twitch.tv or Poplar.tv). I’ve read a few forums and tried to glue stuff together. Masses of thanks to MarkyMMP (User link on serato.com) on the Serato Forum for pointing me towards #RADR.

So I managed to get this little setup working (sort of). It still has its limitations (see below), but maybe the the guys at RADR, X-Split and Twitter(less likely) can do something to improve the VDJ and DJ broadcasters life.

1. Download RADR from radr.dj. Follow the instructions on their site to download and install
2. RADR Config - I changed the Delay to 1 second and the Serato sessions location as I moved all my music to a different folder
3. Make sure RADR works first. Start RADR, then start Serato. Load a track and check that your Twitter feed displays correctly. If not, then it’s back to the RADR install notes
4. Grab the code from this Google drive link (drive.google.com) and use Notepad (or any text editor) to edit the bit that says yourtwittername to your twitter address. The Google drive link only opens the file as a text file for you to view. The Twitter site has more details on the options you can take. See dev.twitter.com
5. Save the file as something like twitter-feed.html anywhere on your machine (eg. Desktop)
6. You can check that the file works by opening it up in any web browser and trying Serato again. Note: it may take a few seconds (up to a minute!) for the round trip from RADR, out to Twitter and then for the widgets.js script to spot the change and display it on the page.
7. X-Split is the final stage. Open your existing broadcast setup. It probably works for OBS as well, just don't have that on my setup.
8. Add a new Source - Media File, selecting the html file that you created above. I kept the resolution settings to original source and then dragged the created pane to the size required. If the html file is too big, try reducing the data-width a little in the html file, otherwise you’ll need to use a larger screen broadcast resolution.
9. You can test before you go live by either using RADR to send a hand-made tweet or by loading another tune in Serato.

Annoying bits
——————

The setup is not without fault. I found the following hiccups which would be great to solve;

1. Remember, a soon as you load the track, RADR will pick it up and send to Twitter. It means the viewer may see your “Playing now” info before you’ve even mixed across to the new track. It means that 1 second Delay in RADR may not be enough for you. It will also tweet a track even if you then eject it from a deck and try something else.
2. The delay between RADR and Twitter is not always 1 second. It’s a variable (random) amount of time
3. The delay between your Twitter feed and the widgets.js script in the html file is also a little random. In my tests I was anywhere between 10 and 45 seconds between loading a track and my broadcast feed showing the change.
4. It is tweeting when you load a track and not when you actually use it. Would be great for Serato to make this info available for RADR to use!!
5. It’s a Twitter limitation, but if you use a track more than once, you’ll get a duplicate track warning and not Tweet will go out
6. If you mix tracks rapidly in succession, the tweets will be quite a bit out of sync from the music that is playing
7. I have had some tracks just not pop up as a tweet even though RADR says it will tweet. Haven’t worked out why yet!

Anyway, it’s still a great step forward and hope you enjoy! Apologies if there are errors, but do let me know how you get on :)

Best,

Simon aka SpinChip

@SpinChip
www.serato.com
www.mixcloud.com
DJ Tecniq 9:07 PM - 17 April, 2017
Incredibly easy to do split screen recording with OBS (open broadcast software) here's my feed. Just use a webcam and ext sound card with my S9. Didn't read your full post seems like a lot of steps. OBS is free for Mac and pc though it can stream to fb live and record multiple displays. Need help hit me up peace www.facebook.com
Spinchip 6:34 AM - 18 April, 2017
Hi DJ Tecniq.

Sorry, but struggling. I checked out OBS and it's pretty much the same route? Steps 7 & 8 can be done in OBS as well, but there is no in-built Twitter feed from Serato to OBS, or am I missing something?

Maybe you're just looking to copy the desktop as a source so people can see you mixing, but I didn't want this.

Let me know if I'm missing something in OBS!

Simon
DJ Tecniq 7:25 AM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
The challenge was to find a way to take the track information from Serato and get it to appear on a live feed (eg. Facebook Livestream, Twitch.tv or Poplar.tv).
My apologies I only read this first line which does not mention twitter at all. I thought you were wanting to capture your serato screen hence the track information along with your live feed (real time) which is what i showed you. Twitter does not support streaming but maybe you can copy and paste your stream link to twitter from OBS or whatever broadcast software you do use.
DJ Tecniq 7:29 AM - 18 April, 2017
Basically you are wanting twitter to act like Winamp or whatever media player and show the track titles as tweets?
Spinchip 8:46 AM - 18 April, 2017
Yes. That's where the RADR piece comes in. It can grab the sessions file and use that.

Looks like OBS can do the same thing once the tweet has arrived.

Cheers, Simon
DJ Tecniq 9:11 AM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
Yes. That's where the RADR piece comes in. It can grab the sessions file and use that.

Looks like OBS can do the same thing once the tweet has arrived.

Cheers, Simon
pretty cool and good idea. Let me know how it works out would like to see a test run or screen shot exactly how it's displayed.
Spinchip 5:16 PM - 18 April, 2017
A couple of screen grabs for you from twitch.tv/spinchip to give you an idea.

drive.google.com - screenshot 1

drive.google.com - screenshot 2

They may look a little blurred, but perfectly clear to your viewer.

Once you have the file in X-Split (or OBS), you can pretty much put it anywhere you like. And if you want more history, you can change the data-height value in the html file

Friends don't need to ask "What's that?" now :)
DJ Tecniq 5:48 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
A couple of screen grabs for you from twitch.tv/spinchip to give you an idea.

drive.google.com - screenshot 1

drive.google.com - screenshot 2

They may look a little blurred, but perfectly clear to your viewer.

Once you have the file in X-Split (or OBS), you can pretty much put it anywhere you like. And if you want more history, you can change the data-height value in the html file

Friends don't need to ask "What's that?" now :)
Love that! How exactly would this work with OBS do I have to have twitter? I deleted it cause hardly used twitter.
Spinchip 6:05 PM - 18 April, 2017
I dig out some notes for obs, but pretty easy.

You will need a twitter account. I don't use it either for anything else!
DJ Tecniq 6:20 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
I dig out some notes for obs, but pretty easy.

You will need a twitter account. I don't use it either for anything else!
would be cool if this worked for instagram
Spinchip 7:16 PM - 18 April, 2017
So for OBS users, change Steps 7&8 to the below;

7. OBS is the final stage. Open your existing broadcast setup
8. Sources - Add a BrowserSource. Click on the Local file box and Browse to the twitter-feed.html location and select that file. I left CSS field empty, but do anything you want in here. Like X-Split you also have the choice to change the height and width as you require.

Have fun!

Simon
Saint Genis Pouilly, France
popnwave 11:10 PM - 18 April, 2017
Very cool!
Spinchip 7:39 PM - 19 April, 2017
DJ Tecniq - I had a good look into an Instagram equivalent, but it's stupidly difficult. They need all sorts of OAuth set and calls to an api which means all your images have to be public even if you are the only one who is gonna publish.

I'll have to give that one up as a bad job for now! Sorry

Simon