Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Club Setup with Serato DJ

DJ_Griff_ 7:37 PM - 30 March, 2017
I have been a mobile DJ for the past 4 years, but now I am getting offers to begin DJing in clubs. This is something I have really been wanting to do for a while, but I need to figure out how I would set up, and what gear to bring.

I would like to use Serato DJ because that is where my music library is stored along with all of my playlists. From what I saw so far in my research, it looks like my options are HID, DVS expansion, or an interface such as the SL4. With technology and compatibility changing so much, I am looking for an updated answer instead or reading old forums.

I really want the most control over the software from the CDJs and Mixers including track info, cue points, etc. It looks like HID would be my best option, but it looks like this is limited to a few mixers? Is there any set-up that would guarantee compatibility with Serato no matter what mixer is present at the club?

I really don't wanna lug around my SZ club to club, trying to stay somewhat light weight.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 8:58 PM - 30 March, 2017
Hey Griff,

HID is dependent on the media players rather than the mixer. HID mode supports most of the popular models that clubs currently use.

The vital part would be the way you enable Serato DJ. You could use the Club Kit to connect to supported mixers or carry an interface for environments that don't have supported mixers.

I hope this helps.
DJ_Griff_ 11:49 PM - 30 March, 2017
Quote:
Hey Griff,

HID is dependent on the media players rather than the mixer. HID mode supports most of the popular models that clubs currently use.

The vital part would be the way you enable Serato DJ. You could use the Club Kit to connect to supported mixers or carry an interface for environments that don't have supported mixers.

I hope this helps.

I already have Serato DJ on a mac, so wouldn't HID work via plug and play?

Assuming I used the interface option, I wouldn't have access to things like track info, and cue points on the CDJs, correct? Wouldn't this be classified as DVS? Would this set-up work no matter what mixers are present at the club?
Laz219 2:31 AM - 31 March, 2017
You're mixing up the audio routing and the controlling of the software.

The CDJs can operate in HID regardless of whether you're using an SL4 or a clubkit mixer,
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:52 PM - 31 March, 2017
Best to know what the club has.

You can buy an SL2 or similar for clubs with non compatible mixers/CDJs

There is no ultimate solution...so it's all depends on what gear the club has.

You have to prepare for every scenario.
DJ JulioYEG 2:29 AM - 8 April, 2017
Quote:
Is there any set-up that would guarantee compatibility with Serato no matter what mixer is present at the club?

Please elaborate on what equipment is present at the club. Also do you have the full version of serato? Do you have the clubkit expansion pack?
Laz219 10:32 AM - 8 April, 2017
An SL interface is the easiest 'all round' setup there is....
It'll work with CDJ/turntables and at a stretch...any controller with inputs on it (if you can get by on internal mode)
DJ Tecniq 6:45 AM - 9 April, 2017
I DJ'ed a small bar earlier tonight the booth isn't even big enough for my tables and mixer so I used my SB2. Prob the fastest setup I've ever had it was a relief.
DJ JulioYEG 6:59 AM - 9 April, 2017
Quote:
I DJ'ed a small bar earlier tonight the booth isn't even big enough for my tables and mixer so I used my SB2. Prob the fastest setup I've ever had it was a relief.

sound engineers at clubs would prefer for you not to bring your own equipment.
DJ Tecniq 7:05 AM - 9 April, 2017
Quote:
sound engineers at clubs would prefer for you not to bring your own equipment.
Totally but it's not a club it's just a small bar. Thinking an SX2 might be his best bet as it's DVS compatible.
DJ JulioYEG 8:13 PM - 9 April, 2017
Quote:
so I used my SB2. Prob the fastest setup I've ever had it was a relief.

I think the akai amx could be a very viable option for you it is serato dj enabled and dvs upgrade ready. It is portable and basically a sl2 with built in mixer.

serato.com
reif99 1:56 PM - 18 April, 2017
Assuming u are playing in clubs with a typical setup:
2x cdj2000 or nxs or nxs2
1x DJM900NXS

Back up SL box & AKai AMX every gig u go

I play at multiple clubs that all have DJM900NXS mixers, so I use club kit without any issues (always pack the SL box and or a Akai AMX and & cords just in case!!)

HID is a nightmare from experience - it just doesn't work out in the real world, here's why:

Setup: it gives every other DJ & sound guy the shits routing a SL box let alone wiring HID, 3x USB cords ( that means most modern laptops u are going to need a powered hub - another power point!!) plus pulling the CDJs out to get to their USB ports. Plugging it all in, finding another outlet, unplugging, whilst the next DJ is starting their set. The CDJs and Serato are really fussy with the type of USB cables used, I couldn't get one deck to connect unless I used a Dj tech tools branded USB cable - my Rane cable that came with the SL box wouldn't even make it connect!!

The real world - once with HID ready to take over from the warm up DJ ( I went to club that arvo and wired USB, power boards & did a Serato sound check all a ok), everything on the screen looks ok, everthing looks to be working on the CDJs, but no sound from the mixer, troubleshooting in front of 300pax is no fun, in the end had turn the DJM on and off again to get sound (Serato showed 2x decks but no sound) in front of everybody, what a noob I looked like!! Also at least with time code u can unplug/turn off the deck u are not using (Dj changeover re rout the audio cables for the next DJ), u can't with HID, u unplug a CDJ (USB cord) and Serato will almost always freeze/crash or at the very least cause a long audio dropout.

The real world part 2 - randomly the tracks take ages to scroll through on the CDJ wheel, sometimes the CDJ would display a different BPM value to the Serato bpm display, other annoying little things that don't happen when using a CDJ with USB sticks.

Are u still with me? The real world part 3 - u cannot under any circumstances play B2B with another DJ using HID mode (assuming they are playing off USB sticks, every time they try and play a track and take back control of the CDJ, Serato will have a audio dropout or crash.

Timecode and a midi controller is the safest way to use Serato with a typical club setup, u can kiss using the CDJ buttons & screen good bye for your own sanity!!

Find a portable midi cue point controller that suits your needs, style of play & space in a typical DJ booth.

Timecode just works!! Easy to trouble shoot, bulletproof, with a DJM900NXS, it's so easy ( no cabling apart from a single USB cable & laptop power pack)

HID introduces so many more variables and troubleshooting ( do u know the firmware of every CDJ in every club u might get a gig at??)

I am sure people have positive things to say about HID if u had it as a home setup and u had the time & patience to iron out the kinks, but the demanding club environment- it just doesn't work!!

If u really want to play off CDJ screens, ditch Serato & play off USB sticks
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:15 PM - 18 April, 2017
Hey reif99,

I regularly use HID mode and can safely say i've never had these troubles.

Also, If i don't have a hub, I just use one CDJ with a USB cable and do instant doubles. That also allows for a nice B2B set too if you are wanting to share with another dj on SDJ or USB's
I use different CDJ's at a lot of different places, not a problem there either.

It might be related to some other issues and I strongly recommend hitting up our support team to remedy these problems with the proper attention.

Regards
DJ JulioYEG 7:59 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
HID is a nightmare from experience - it just doesn't work out in the real world, here's why:

Quote:
I regularly use HID mode and can safely say I've never had these troubles.

I've never had trouble with hid mode at the club where I DJ at we have the club kit and i use hid mode which runs on the digital line and the DJ after me uses the sl4 so we switch to which ever channel is not using at that point to line giving it a seamless transition and then he switches the 2nd deck to line and mixes then we alternate. You only need to worry bout yourself and the other DJ should be prepared.
reif99 10:10 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
Hey reif99,

I regularly use HID mode and can safely say i've never had these troubles.

Also, If i don't have a hub, I just use one CDJ with a USB cable and do instant doubles. That also allows for a nice B2B set too if you are wanting to share with another dj on SDJ or USB's
I use different CDJ's at a lot of different places, not a problem there either.

It might be related to some other issues and I strongly recommend hitting up our support team to remedy these problems with the proper attention.

Regards

Hi Matt,

Thank u for your reply, I used HID mode for a while over the course of 6 months ( admittedly approx 2 years ago after club kit was released). At the time I trawled the Serato forums and web looking for the answers to my problems with HID and got nowhere. I didn't directly contact support regarding HID mode because I don't have CDJs at home ( my only time to use them, was when I was playing a gig).

Let me say this: things maybe be different now, but HID mode had been a feature for at least 2 years at that point, it was a scratch live feature, it should have worked flawlessly. If it had been a new feature, I would have cut it some slack, but it wasn't, I was running SDJ 1.8 or SDJ 1.81 at the time

The cabling & USB requirements made too difficult to justify, it would have been different if the clubs had the CDJs already wired to a USB hub in the club. None of the venues I play at do. I am one of the few DJs where I play that use Serato, no where I play as a SL box let alone having their CDJs Pre wired for HID mode

I have never had Serato DJ or Scratch live crash on me or hang (during a gig or not) except for when I used HID mode (I don't use video & don't have corrupt files), I think that shows how reliable timecode & midi controllers are. One of the main points I was making was that, u can recover and play instant doubles if a deck drops out, but HID mode was causing Serato to hang/crash, which means I had to restart to software on stage - it simply wasn't with the risk

i weighed up the risk vs reward, fussy with USB cables for connection, crashing, troubleshooting on stage, plus every support article ever written mentions firmware/drivers, etc. because I do not own CDJs, I don't want to have to check the firmware of a CDJ2000 at a club, I am not in position to update the firmware on a clubs equipment.

Cheers

Reif