DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any Yamaha DXS18 users???

Rebelguy 3:46 AM - 30 March, 2017
Anyone on the forum own these?

If so how are they holding up for you?

Are you happy with them?

Got a chance to pick up an demo pair at a great price but am a little hesitant because of the size.
Arjun B 5:03 AM - 31 March, 2017
I have one and it holds up great, much better response vs the yorkville ls801p that I previously had. Really nice finish, lots of functionality on the back (especially with the HPF pass through outputs). I'm happy with it and I can manage one by myself. It definitely doesn't get as loud (which is obvious), but 2 of these would comfortably replace 1 yorkville LS801p, but the yorkville doesn't get anywhere close to the frequency response this provides. I can't compare this to any other sub as I haven't owned a wide variety, but will compare it to the QSC KW181 when I get the chance. I would recommend a second sub for anything about 225-250+ people (wedding levels). I would also recommend playing around with it and setting a proper gain structure for the sub (read below as to why). You mentioned you are getting a pair, so I don't think you will have any problems with crowds up to 400 at wedding levels.

At my first event (250 people, club level volumes), it was quiet and I was really wondering if this is the max output... When I went to go check the level of the sub, I wasn't limiting at all, so I turned it up to +9db on the level knob. I left it there and the limit light would come on often but It really came alive after that.

I felt it was still a little short output wise, but I am very used to my SRX828sp's and club level volumes so this is probably why I felt it fell short of my expectations. I think yamaha has implemented a limiter similar to Yorkville, where you can ride the limiter all night with no problem but need to be careful not to increase volumes or to not engage the clip/peak limiter. The sub has a good chunk of protection built in so I don't think you need to be too worried about them.

They are a great plug and play sub. I dont think this will have any problem holding up in the long run. The 4" voicecoil should prove to be very reliable in the long run.
Rebelguy 3:19 PM - 31 March, 2017
Thanks for the great feedback. When I demoed them in-store they seemed low. I was also surprised that they had the gain set all the way up. I may have to do a little more research.
JDforKing 1:15 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
I have one and it holds up great, much better response vs the yorkville ls801p that I previously had. Really nice finish, lots of functionality on the back (especially with the HPF pass through outputs). I'm happy with it and I can manage one by myself. It definitely doesn't get as loud (which is obvious), but 2 of these would comfortably replace 1 yorkville LS801p, but the yorkville doesn't get anywhere close to the frequency response this provides. I can't compare this to any other sub as I haven't owned a wide variety, but will compare it to the QSC KW181 when I get the chance. I would recommend a second sub for anything about 225-250+ people (wedding levels). I would also recommend playing around with it and setting a proper gain structure for the sub (read below as to why). You mentioned you are getting a pair, so I don't think you will have any problems with crowds up to 400 at wedding levels.

At my first event (250 people, club level volumes), it was quiet and I was really wondering if this is the max output... When I went to go check the level of the sub, I wasn't limiting at all, so I turned it up to +9db on the level knob. I left it there and the limit light would come on often but It really came alive after that.

I felt it was still a little short output wise, but I am very used to my SRX828sp's and club level volumes so this is probably why I felt it fell short of my expectations. I think yamaha has implemented a limiter similar to Yorkville, where you can ride the limiter all night with no problem but need to be careful not to increase volumes or to not engage the clip/peak limiter. The sub has a good chunk of protection built in so I don't think you need to be too worried about them.

They are a great plug and play sub. I dont think this will have any problem holding up in the long run. The 4" voicecoil should prove to be very reliable in the long run.

So I'm assuming you've used the dxs18 for a while now. How do you feel about it, and do you have any regrets? I'm looking into either getting a pair of the yamaha dxs18 or a single srx828 for some outside gigs. I'm leaning towards the yamaha dxs18s because it will be easier for me to transport them by myself. Please let me know what your think. Thanks
Arjun B 11:38 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
So I'm assuming you've used the dxs18 for a while now. How do you feel about it, and do you have any regrets? I'm looking into either getting a pair of the yamaha dxs18 or a single srx828 for some outside gigs. I'm leaning towards the yamaha dxs18s because it will be easier for me to transport them by myself. Please let me know what your think. Thanks

Yeah, so I've been using it for awhile now, and I'm honestly not that impressed. The hype that it built up during release isn't justified in my opinion. This sub is good for filling out the low end of a system with more bass than a 12" or 15", but it doesn't project the bass onto the dance floor. It has a very nice mixer section on the back with many options, but the bandpass design really restricts this sub in my opinion. You can hear the bass, but you can't feel it. I only have 1, this might change when using 2 of the DXS subs, but I would go with the SRX828sp regardless. Im going to be selling my DXS18 and buying a QSC KW181 or a JBL SRX818sp instead. I've used the KW181 and it has better throw than the DXS18, and gets just as loud if not louder.

I have both Yamaha and JBL subs, and I heavily prefer the JBL SRX828sp. The JBL is also easier to load into my minivan with the caster kit, because you can lift one end up and then push it in from the other end. This isn't possible with the Yamaha.
JDforKing 12:57 AM - 5 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, so I've been using it for awhile now, and I'm honestly not that impressed. The hype that it built up during release isn't justified in my opinion. This sub is good for filling out the low end of a system with more bass than a 12" or 15", but it doesn't project the bass onto the dance floor. It has a very nice mixer section on the back with many options, but the bandpass design really restricts this sub in my opinion. You can hear the bass, but you can't feel it. I only have 1, this might change when using 2 of the DXS subs, but I would go with the SRX828sp regardless. Im going to be selling my DXS18 and buying a QSC KW181 or a JBL SRX818sp instead. I've used the KW181 and it has better throw than the DXS18, and gets just as loud if not louder.

I have both Yamaha and JBL subs, and I heavily prefer the JBL SRX828sp. The JBL is also easier to load into my minivan with the caster kit, because you can lift one end up and then push it in from the other end. This isn't possible with the Yamaha.

So I'm wondering which wins the srx818sp vs the qsc kw181 battle? Do two of the srx818sp or qsc kw181 beat out a single srx828sp? Decision, decisions
Rebelguy 1:27 AM - 5 August, 2017
The Overall output is similar but the 818 goes lower than the QSC. I would go with the two single 818s. It gives you more options when you don't have space for an 828 or don't need that much volume.
JDforKing 1:38 AM - 5 August, 2017
Quote:
The Overall output is similar but the 818 goes lower than the QSC. I would go with the two single 818s. It gives you more options when you don't have space for an 828 or don't need that much volume.

That's the plan, thanks for the advice fellas