Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Anyone else running SV off built-in IRIS ??

neilsak 9:09 PM - 23 March, 2017
Had this discussion already with the boys at Serato, but thought I would ask on here. Sure, in a perfect world, or in a business world where you are doing this full time as a business, purchase a PRO with dedicated video card (15" model with GT650/GT750/R9) if you plan on doing video events with SV.

BUT for the occasional hobby guy like me, or the guy that cannot afford to purchase even a used PRO with graphics card, how does the 13" Pro Iris models perform with SV. I am about to do a huge gig for a fundraiser, 350 people, 3 100" screens/projectors off of an HDMI splitter, and plan to do so off of a Pro Iris (not a Pro Iris Pro). Dedicated 1.5GB VRAM off of 8GB total RAM.

Anyone else out there running something similar for SV ?? Stability issues ??

I have been pounding the crap out of my Pro Iris in the basement, looking for it to crash, and so far, solid !!! Nothing. Only small thing I noticed is that videos run fine, but graphic effects tied to audio-only files made it a bit more laggy. But if one simply mixes from one HD video to the next with a default transition and nothing more, looks solid on the Iris.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback from Iris users.

Thanks
Neil
popnwave 10:46 PM - 23 March, 2017
Technically, ever since they removed the NON dedicated/discreet gfx restriction a year or two ago, there isn't any reason SV shouldn't work. It just might give you less than perfect frame rates when mixing something like 1080p stuff.
neilsak 3:58 PM - 26 March, 2017
One thing I did notice, oddly enough, is that mixing from one HD video to another seems to work smoothly, well at least to the naked idea. Sometimes I notice some lip sync issues with the audio, but nothing major, perhaps a small sign of lost frames.

But where things really slow down on the IRIS is audio-only files with applied media crate video effects, there you can see the visuals freezing up, especially when one is playing on the main screen and a second is cued up on the channel video monitor.

I guess if one was to really take advantage of all features on SV, then a dedicated video card is a must, but for mixing 1080p music videos, I think it is a fair assumption, based on my testing, that the IRIS GPU will hold it's ground with the dedicated 1.5GB of VRAM.

Neil
neilsak 4:01 PM - 26 March, 2017
Damn Mac autocorrect, meant to say to the naked eye in my post above and not to the naked idea. We should add an EDIT feature (like FB) to the forums to be able to fix mistakes in typing. I guess that is what the preview feature is for, I used cowboy style and just posted.