Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Please make a laptop free dvs solution.

MBLL 7:18 PM - 18 March, 2017
I would love it, if you made a standalone Serato solution out of something like a Rasperry Pi.

I imagine something like a small box with a screen, a fem buttons and a jogwheel for browsing (like on a MPC). In fact something like the screen area of a mpc 2500 would be perfect. And you could have your files on a USB stick.

The software should be simple and basic with focus on stability. I only need cue-points. No fx, sampler etc are needed.
deejdave 2:17 AM - 19 March, 2017
Quote:
I imagine something like a small box with a screen, a fem buttons and a jogwheel for browsing (like on a MPC). In fact something like the screen area of a mpc 2500 would be perfect. And you could have your files on a USB stick.

From here most would want an option to plug in a keyboard and if I am not mistaken this pretty much brings it right back to a less capable computer that you are now squinting to see the screen................
MBLL 8:56 AM - 19 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

From here most would want an option to plug in a keyboard and if I am not mistaken this pretty much brings it right back to a less capable computer that you are now squinting to see the screen................

The idea is to have a small, simple and stable standalone dvs system, that you can plug into any mixer. If the audio files on a USB-stick, you can plug it into any computer and organize the libery. A jogwheel and a few buttons is more than enough for playback and making a playlist. It worked just fine on the old iPods:-)

Pideck is allready out there, and Thud Rumble is working on the Invader Mixer.

Take a look at this link, and tell me that you cant invision a dvs solution with a Raspberry Pi. www.synthtopia.com
deejdave 10:50 PM - 19 March, 2017
I have seen them and even q berts prototype was nothing more than a mini pc with a touchscreen built into the mixer .......... as well as a keyboard and mouse painting out for many who did not catch that this is all it is. And instead of one computer to have to manage and worry about failing (when u have in the mixer or using a laptop) you now have two by placing into the decks themselves. I am just being honest after seeing all the pro's and cons as well as trends ........ this seems like an item people more often than not think they want (as it paints a picture of the simpler days such) and it is not what they actually want or need.

Pioneer themselves were the kings of built in solutions be it xdj controllers or their gear with rekordbox built in. Using pioneer we are able tell which way the industry is moving by watching their trends (being they Command more sales than all other dj brands combined) and keep in mind they themselves moved away from all in one solutions and went the serato/traktor way via rekordbox dj.
MBLL 11:46 AM - 29 March, 2017
Quote:
I have seen them and even q berts prototype was nothing more than a mini pc with a touchscreen built into the mixer .......... as well as a keyboard and mouse painting out for many who did not catch that this is all it is. And instead of one computer to have to manage and worry about failing (when u have in the mixer or using a laptop) you now have two by placing into the decks themselves. I am just being honest after seeing all the pro's and cons as well as trends ........ this seems like an item people more often than not think they want (as it paints a picture of the simpler days such) and it is not what they actually want or need.

Pioneer themselves were the kings of built in solutions be it xdj controllers or their gear with rekordbox built in. Using pioneer we are able tell which way the industry is moving by watching their trends (being they Command more sales than all other dj brands combined) and keep in mind they themselves moved away from all in one solutions and went the serato/traktor way via rekordbox dj.

Have a look at this
djworx.com
deejdave 8:31 PM - 29 March, 2017
It is certainly impressive. I have seen setups like this before but this definitely is more involved and utilizes the screens in a much more effective way. Problem is though this is essentially two computers instead of one and still screens etc. I know the want IS there I am just wondering how widespread it is.

On a side note I am not crazy in saying there was an enormous amount of lag from action to reaction am I? I mean no disrespect as this guy is getting it done but I am wondering if this is due to similar issues android users face.
MBLL 8:56 PM - 29 March, 2017
Quote:
It is certainly impressive. I have seen setups like this before but this definitely is more involved and utilizes the screens in a much more effective way. Problem is though this is essentially two computers instead of one and still screens etc. I know the want IS there I am just wondering how widespread it is.

On a side note I am not crazy in saying there was an enormous amount of lag from action to reaction am I? I mean no disrespect as this guy is getting it done but I am wondering if this is due to similar issues android users face.

PiDVS is a proof of concept made as a final year university project. Imagine the possiblities with the right funding.
Standalone is the Way of the future. Just look at Akai's MPC X - a NI Maschine killer.
deejdave 10:04 PM - 29 March, 2017
This like all others is proof of concept that it exists and there is a desire for them. It is by no means even remotely proof that it is either wanted or could possibly be successful to the masses. We are all entitled to opinions though and if I am being honest every now and then (obviously rarely) I come across others who feel the same. The proof is in the pudding and according to the global market leader of all DJ gear as a whole the market is leading elsewhere. If we are being honest the future is most likely in mobile modular hardware combined with streaming and total access. Tying oneself to any ONE solution is pretty much a guaranteed failure and to me all-in-one solutions amplifies this all that much more.

I did say I would welcome it if/when it happened but TBH it is also what has kept me from Denons new HW. We shall see though.
deejdave 10:05 PM - 29 March, 2017
Quote:
Just look at Akai's MPC X - a NI Maschine killer.

I was not aware this was even out yet.