Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Advice on Controllers for Video, Macbook Pro (2015), NOT using CDJs

CaNubie 5:15 PM - 17 March, 2017
Hello.

I've been looking for specific advice on a reliable controller that "does everything." I'm going to be starting a mobile VJ service and will not have CD decks to use to manipulate tracks. This means I'l have to buy one of the few controllers out there that works with Serato Video that will handle the pitch shifting and processing. None are cheap, so I'm putting this question out there to anyone who has one and can give me feedback and/or advice... Or anyone who really knows their stuff.
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro with dedicated video card. I'm hoping to keep the equipment portable, so having 2 CD decks and a controller (like the Rane SL2) isn't an option.

Many thanks in advance.

DJRE
DJ Tecniq 7:01 PM - 17 March, 2017
Pioneer DDJSX2 is a great option as it has DVS support for your cdjs/t-tables. I recommend agiprodj.com for the best deal.
CaNubie 7:47 PM - 17 March, 2017
Thanks for your reply, but... it didn't answer my question. Maybe I didn't explain this thoroughly enough...

Is there a device that takes the place of turntables/CDJs?

I was under the impression that Pioneer made a higher end controller that does all of the work necessary without turntables or cd decks.

Thanks again.
DJ Tecniq 12:21 AM - 18 March, 2017
Takes the place of turntables or cdjs? Like a DVS solution? Most all controllers now support Serato video even the ddjsb2 which is the cheapest controller for Serato.
CaNubie 1:37 AM - 18 March, 2017
Thanks!

Looks like I'll be checking out the Denon MC7000... I heard it's good and the price point is fair.

Cheers!
DJ Tecniq 2:24 AM - 18 March, 2017
Here's a list of all the supported Serato controllers. You can click the description and find out which software or plugins they support. serato.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:39 AM - 19 March, 2017
Any of the Serato controller will work with videos. It's the macbook-pro that does all the processing work.

If there are specific video controls that you need to access you can try to midi map them to the same controller. or Just buy an extra small midi device to trigger eg video FX or toggle transitions.

I currently have a MCX8000 and the MC6000 MK2 controller. I also have a Numark Orbit which is mapped loosely to Mixemergency sample bank.
CaNubie 2:03 PM - 19 March, 2017
Thanks very much!