DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Booking - DJ doesn't show up. Revenge?

Firenzi 8:42 AM - 5 March, 2017
The most valuable thing to a DJ is his reputation, right? So I booked a DJ to play at my event. I paid his transportation (flights amounting to about $400) and he didn't show up.

What do you thing is the right way to deal with this? I am SO tempted to shame him on social media and damage his small, but growing reputation.

OK so some naivety and inexperience on my part here, but there was no written contract. It was a case of hey you come and spin at my event in my city, and I'll come over to spin at yours later in the year.

Would you take the hit on the chin and try to forget about it or would you get some kind of revenge?
popnwave 3:25 PM - 5 March, 2017
Sorry to hear that happened to you, I joke about how much I still love to spin that a break even night (someone pays for transport and gives me a place to sleep) is enough to make me go just about anywhere!

Did they mention your gig anywhere publicly as an upcoming event? Or were they silent and just didn't have the balls to tell you they weren't really interested and going to come?
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:34 PM - 5 March, 2017
was he from Japan too,

thought the Japs were all about honor,

teach Danielson a lesson and bring shame to his family
popnwave 3:48 PM - 5 March, 2017
Quote:
was he from Japan too,

thought the Japs were all about honor,

teach Danielson a lesson and bring shame to his family

LOL nothing like stereotypes to help move things along..
Rebelguy 5:35 PM - 5 March, 2017
Was the event in Japan? The reason I ask is that if it were in the United States and the agreement was made over email then it could be considered a contract if he agreed to the terms. You could then sue him to get your money back.

As far as mentioning it on social media I say why not. You could just do an apology to all your followers for the DJ pulling a no show. If he retaliates then just let him know you will post his text or emails showing that he agreed to show up.
popnwave 5:38 PM - 5 March, 2017
Quote:
Was the event in Japan? The reason I ask is that if it were in the United States and the agreement was made over email then it could be considered a contract if he agreed to the terms. You could then sue him to get your money back.

As far as mentioning it on social media I say why not. You could just do an apology to all your followers for the DJ pulling a no show. If he retaliates then just let him know you will post his text or emails showing that he agreed to show up.

I think it was regional, or I need to know where I can get flights to JP for $400 RT!!!
Firenzi 12:24 AM - 6 March, 2017
Ha yeah it was in Japan but the guy was from the UK. Domestic flights are pretty cheap here compared to the US - but the distance between cities is on a different scale entirely of course.

Actually, he sent me a text on the day of the event saying he was sick, and he would reimburse the costs of the flights - which of course was BS. I have booked quite a few Japanese DJs in the past and can't imagine them doing this kind of thing.

I suppose this is what happens when you don't make a contract!

Anyway I think I might send him a message/email telling him I'm going to write a post about promoters ripping off DJs (it's usually the other way round eh), tag him in it with photo etc and share it globally. See if that prompts him to do something about it.
Firenzi 12:27 AM - 6 March, 2017
*** I'm going to write a post about DJs ripping off promoters lol not the other way round haha ***
PumpkinHead 4:54 AM - 6 March, 2017
A verbal agreement is still a contract.

If you feel bad about putting him on blast, i say don't do it. But if you think it is what will make the situation right, do it.

Besides pay you back for the flight is there anything else he said he'd do to make it up to you?
Firenzi 1:09 PM - 6 March, 2017
Well the threat of destroying his reputation seems to have worked (not that I would have spent the time and energy following through with the threat). He says he is going to pay up tomorrow. So we'll see.

In future DJs are going to pay their transportation and get reimbursed after the gig. This is surely the only way.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:08 PM - 6 March, 2017
Quote:
In future DJs are going to pay their transportation and get reimbursed after the gig. This is surely the only way.

LOL! Bruh, you can't MAKE a performing DJ do anything.

If THEY stipulate that you have to pay for their travel and hotel expenses up front, then it is what it is....and that is VERY common.
Logisticalstyles 4:33 PM - 6 March, 2017
I would never trust a promoter to reimburse me for travel and hotel. Out of sight, out of mind is my motto. Once the gig is over and done with it's much easier for them to blow you off and stop answering your calls.
Taipanic 5:32 PM - 6 March, 2017
Is there any proof that he wasn't sick? Another gig posted on social media, etc...? Sometimes crap does happen but anytime you are putting your money out you have a contract in writing to protect your investment. Unless these agreements are with someone you know on a personal level, you might just want to have a real agent take care of that type of stuff.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:10 AM - 23 January, 2019
never heard of any of those dj's must be a shit agency