Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

CD Players to use with Live Scratch

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
HPNOTIC 2:38 PM - 5 June, 2006
Any CD Dj's can scoop me on the best CD player to use with Scratch Live. I'll be buying the whole shebang this week and I want to make sure that I don't have any problems at all. A good mixer would me nice as well. I currently have Numarks Dual CD and a Beringer five channel mixer, so I don't know if those would work well or not. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Idlemind1999 4:42 PM - 5 June, 2006
If you are a turntablist, (or just like scratching and like the whole vinyl idea/feel) You can get the CDXs I have a pair and I love them. My only gripe is they are heavy as hell. But if i closed my eyes, I wouldnt be able to feel the difference.
HPNOTIC 6:06 PM - 5 June, 2006
Quote:
If you are a turntablist, (or just like scratching and like the whole vinyl idea/feel) You can get the CDXs I have a pair and I love them. My only gripe is they are heavy as hell. But if i closed my eyes, I wouldnt be able to feel the difference.

I'm not a turntablist at all. I've only done CD's on duals, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for the response.
Idlemind1999 6:57 PM - 5 June, 2006
I also have the Denon DNS-5000s I like them, they are small and feature packed. I hear the DNS-3500s (direct drive) are better.

I've tried them, but i got the 5000s for a steal, so i went that route.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:01 PM - 5 June, 2006
why dont ya use your Numark first and see if it will work for you.

why spend money when you can use your current setup ;)
nobspangle 8:42 PM - 5 June, 2006
The numarks will work fine for playback, but you may have a problem with cueing.

I've not heard anybody have good results with the denon 3500s
Idlemind1999 8:52 PM - 5 June, 2006
I think DJShy has some
nobspangle 8:55 PM - 5 June, 2006
Sorry I meant I've not heard anybody have good results with the 3500s and SSL
DJ Unique 11:24 PM - 5 June, 2006
I use the Denon S5000's and have also used one S3500 with it and it worked well. I've heard other DJs speak highly of the Pioneer CDJ800's.
Idlemind1999 1:15 AM - 6 June, 2006
The Pios seem to be the CD standard, but i personally feel better with a moving platter... I feel guilty enough using a CD player, but I'll get over it..
BriChi 12:10 PM - 6 June, 2006
I use the pioneer cdj800's at home and denon (4000,4500,2600) on mobile gigs, With SSL, The pio's blow the Denon's away.The cueing is almost right on point,,where the Denon's always have a little blip at the beginning after cueing
rock it 5:12 PM - 7 June, 2006
I use the pioneer 1000mk2 and love it. I set the cue buttons A,B,C to control the scrolling of crates(A), scroll within song lists (B), and to cue the song(C) i select. This way, I don't have to touch the computer. I taught my 8yr old son this way, I tell him it's easy as ABC. Oh yeah, the wifey knows how to use it as well:)
Supagee 6:09 PM - 7 June, 2006
i have used almost every player out there with scratch live on various versions of ssl and would have to say PIONEER is the best to use with serato
QECRUSH 3:29 AM - 29 June, 2006
Scratching... everyone I know uses CDJ-800s or 1000s. One of the dj's who works for me uses the box... he has even used the cdj-200s for just basic cue and play parties. They all work in theory its just what they and what you want them to do that makes the difference
DJ Stephen Pitts 8:02 AM - 30 June, 2006
I am using the Japan made CDJ-700S with no problems. I just wish they would get the BPM problem worked out. Manual BPMing suks.

laters

SP
DJ Stephen Pitts 8:06 AM - 30 June, 2006
Quote:
Any CD Dj's can scoop me on the best CD player to use with Scratch Live. I'll be buying the whole shebang this week and I want to make sure that I don't have any problems at all. A good mixer would me nice as well. I currently have Numarks Dual CD and a Beringer five channel mixer, so I don't know if those would work well or not. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need to make sure that you have good dynamics control and use volume control and try not to over drive the Behringer unit. It will distort on you at too high of a volume.

peace

sP
Revolutionary 10:02 AM - 30 June, 2006
Quote:
I am using the Japan made CDJ-700S with no problems. I just wish they would get the BPM problem worked out. Manual BPMing suks. SP

What do you mean?
skinnyguy 5:42 PM - 30 June, 2006
word is, with the next free plug-in, the denon 3500 will be optimized for use with ssl.