DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Smart Sync With CDJ's

DaveVerne 3:34 PM - 23 February, 2017
What's the deal with the sync on Serato DJ. Does it only work with controller ? I use two cdj 800-5K's. When I try and use sync it never works right, or it just doesn't sync. With tractor there's is a sync option where it litterally syncs perfectly for recording a mix etc - same with virtual Dj. Before people start saying about the art of dj'ing and beat matching etc, I have been djing for 15 years now, started on belt drive decks on to technics I can beat match and know how to mix, I would sometimes prefer to click sync to speed up process especially when I am recording a mix
DJ Skitz (USA) 3:52 PM - 23 February, 2017
Gee, someone sounds a little defensive.

If Traktor and VDJ work perfectly for you why don't you stick with them?

Are your tracks analyzed and beat grided properly. Are you pressing sync on all decks that you want to sync(first deck that you engage sync will be the "master"). Do you have "snap to beatgrid" enabled in the set up menu.

Are you expecting the behaviors of smart sync for DVS? It's not available yet in a full release. That's coming in 1.9.6.
AKIEM 12:49 AM - 24 February, 2017
Yeah, but about the art of DJing, beat matching, and etc.
DaveVerne 10:44 PM - 24 February, 2017
Quote:
Gee, someone sounds a little defensive.

If Traktor and VDJ work perfectly for you why don't you stick with them?

Are your tracks analyzed and beat grided properly. Are you pressing sync on all decks that you want to sync(first deck that you engage sync will be the "master"). Do you have "snap to beatgrid" enabled in the set up menu.

Are you expecting the behaviors of smart sync for DVS? It's not available yet in a full release. That's coming in 1.9.6.

Not defensive just letting man know before ppl start saying this and that about learning to mix.

I have been using Serato since 2008, scratch live on to Serato Dj. I don't and never have used tractor or vdj, but I have seen ppl sync on it so was wondering about the sync option with sdj.

All my tracks are analysed // bpm's - I'm not sure about the beat grid, how do you do the beat grid thing and what is it exactly ?

I don't know what dvs is? I litterally just mix music and wanted to know what's the deal with syncing for quacking mixing purposes and when recording mixes..
DaveVerne 10:45 PM - 24 February, 2017
Quicker**
DaveVerne 10:45 PM - 24 February, 2017
Quote:
Yeah, but about the art of DJing, beat matching, and etc.

👍🏽
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:59 AM - 28 February, 2017
You need to grid your tracks.

The beat grids are the lines you see with numbers in the waveform.

They tell Serato where the downbeat is.

Check in your settings that you have beatgridding enabled, I think it does when you select sync.

When you analyse a track Serato will set the beat grid but often times it gets it wrong and you need to manually adjust it.

serato.com
DaveVerne 10:22 PM - 9 March, 2017
I clocked it now, it was all about the BPM's being analysed, do you ever notice when you analyse some bpms in tracks it gives you a weird bpm which isn't exactly the correct bpm like you would randomly get a 70 instead of a 140 for eg
DaveVerne 11:07 PM - 9 March, 2017
So I just updated serato, I noticed it said there are update's on the smart sync, where u don't have to drift as it's solid bpm matched or something, could anyone explain this in further
dj_soo 11:41 PM - 10 March, 2017
140 and 70 bpm are functionally identical
dj_soo 11:44 PM - 10 March, 2017
simple sync just makes the BPMs identical. You still have to keep tracks in time manually.

smart sync locks everything to the beatgrid so it's theoretically supposed to stay locked in time, but you have to make sure all your beatgrids are set and accurate. However it does open up more features like syncing things to loops in the sampler and syncing with ableton live using Link.

Personally, I just beatmatch - faster than worrying about all that prep.