DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why do power amplifier manufacturers mislead buyers on RMS ratings?

Christ beats I. 1:34 AM - 21 February, 2017
Shopping on eBay for DJ equipment can be tiring at times for anyone who has no cash to spare but having to then do hours do follow up sorties finding review information to strengthen your buy or die choice can leave you feeling..well just generally lousy. After the days have gone buy and you find one that fits the bill and so you buy it, take the day off work for the post to arrive, rig it up and begin. Now you have begun you are nervous about just how far you can turn the volume up and so you gingerly twist the knob only to find you reached the end of your encoder which in turn feels like picking up the drink when you were sure you had a mouthful left only to find you drank the lot. You start to question the validity of the amps power and it seems these day you are right to do so. I saw an amp being tested for its claims on you tube by Big D Wiz and the amp in question is the Berhinger I nuke 6000. 2, 4 and 8 ohms were tested for the true RMS rating and land the engineer was left asking the same question as I was, why are manufacturers giving false readings on the power output of their amps....there is a reason why Jesus warned us to avoid the eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die" mentality and it was because you may not so be caefefull what you say and do because you may be held to account!
Christ beats I. 1:43 AM - 21 February, 2017
I bought a inuke 3000 rated at 470 watts rms per channel @ 8ohms but I will very much doubt that the amp in real life will do more the 270-300 watts rms per channel. It really should not be like this and manufacturers are leaving people feeling like idiots when the actual true reading has bee given. Just a sorry state of affairs and really, there is just no need to do it.
Christ beats I. 1:44 AM - 21 February, 2017
Please stop and just tell us the truth, who knows, we might even like you for it!
Hanginon 2:05 AM - 21 February, 2017
The simple truth is that "Watts" sells.

However, the iNuke 6000 is an extreme example, since it is actually two iNuke 3000's in one case, operating in Bridge mode. Thus, it's crap at 2 ohms.

Your iNuke 3000 is not like that and actually has a "Mono, Stereo, Bridge" switch in the back. The iNuke 6000's switch is only "Mono, Stereo" since it is bad practice to Bridge an already internally Bridged amp.

The Beringer NU4-6000 is actually the same amp with individual controls for all four channels.
Christ beats I. 5:25 PM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
The simple truth is that "Watts" sells.

However, the iNuke 6000 is an extreme example, since it is actually two iNuke 3000's in one case, operating in Bridge mode. Thus, it's crap at 2 ohms.

Your iNuke 3000 is not like that and actually has a "Mono, Stereo, Bridge" switch in the back. The iNuke 6000's switch is only "Mono, Stereo" since it is bad practice to Bridge an already internally Bridged amp.

The Beringer NU4-6000 is actually the same amp with individual controls for all four channels.

I have the inuke 3000 and to be fair I have not had any issues with and it very very light to carry around. I considered the 6000 but now I know how it operates I think I will give it a miss and just run the 3000 for now. Thanks for the info, really helped. I kind of like the Samson SDX3000 and the dsp looks capable too. I am avoiding active speakers for now but when they squeeze the features of the dbx pa2 into the speaker itself then I might just give one a look over.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:48 PM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
I bought a inuke 3000 rated at 470 watts rms per channel @ 8ohms but I will very much doubt that the amp in real life will do more the 270-300 watts rms per channel. It really should not be like this and manufacturers are leaving people feeling like idiots when the actual true reading has bee given. Just a sorry state of affairs and really, there is just no need to do it.

You should know there there are 2 sets of numbers peak & rms wattage. If you check the specs and only set of numbers then it's going to be peak.
Hanginon 10:43 PM - 21 February, 2017
This problem isn't just limited to power amps. Look at the idiotic unbelievable SPL ratings a lot of subs claim.

On these forums (Serato and elsewhere) someone asks "what speaker should I get, X, Y, or Z? Everyone responds back with there own seat-of-the-pants evaluation, because that's all there is to go by. A lot of this stuff is expensive, yet NO ONE does true technical testing of it, like it was done years ago in "Stereo Review" or "Audio" magazines. Until someone does, the B.S. will continue.
Hanginon 10:55 PM - 21 February, 2017
I failed to mention - Kudos to Big D Wiz for the testing he has done. Too bad for us DJ's that he is primarily concerned with car audio.
Christ beats I. 9:31 AM - 22 February, 2017
Quote:
I failed to mention - Kudos to Big D Wiz for the testing he has done. Too bad for us DJ's that he is primarily concerned with car audio.

Yay, amen to that! A big +1 to big D wiz.