DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

News From Technics! SL1200GR - "downsized 1200G" - optimized for DJS !?! - 1500$

mixjockey 1:17 PM - 9 February, 2017
www.technics.com

Is this the new Game-Changer for DJs?

As the SL1200G/ GAE was launched, it was all about sound quality and high-end music enthusiasts. And it was quite clear that at a price point around 3500$ or even 4000$ it would be much too expensive for most DJs.

www.technics.com

www.technics.com

But now it comes clear that technics went the same way as in the past with the SL1500 /SL1700: Hifi first, then a practical instrument for the rest of us, afterwards, at a lower pricepoint.

Is the 1200GR the new standard DJ-workhorse?
DTweed 1:37 PM - 9 February, 2017
Honestly I'm fine with my used 1200 or 1210SL they're consistent, reliant and affordable. Hopefully this news will push their price point back down
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:15 PM - 9 February, 2017
After several years of breaking down and rebuilding used 1200s, the GR is the turntable that I hoped Technics would come out with and at the price point I expected. I'd expect a relaunched MK6 exactly as it was to hit at $999 just from inflation and costs of raw materials.

I would like to see how the new electronics hold up to touring level use but all the requirements I have are met. The classic design is still there with bare minimal updates. Removable cords have finally been realized. If this in fact a more durable turntable than older 1200s I can see them becoming the new standard for clubs and touring DJs. There is no substitute for quality.
DJMark 3:16 AM - 12 February, 2017
Good to see they've apparently put in some new development rather than just using the same 1979 design for everything.
lvmez 10:08 PM - 18 August, 2017
I called a retailer today and they have one 1200 GR in stock at $1699. They are expecting a few more soon. They received a total four and a DJ purchased 3.

Was wondering if anyone here has purchased the GR and how much they paid for it?

Wondering if this would be a good investment.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:24 PM - 18 August, 2017
there are pics comparing the guts of the new ones to the old ones. They are definitely a different breed. The pics claimed the GRs have board made in China and assembled in Japan. Time will tell but they look like worthy successors as far as the exterior build.
HighTopFade 10:44 PM - 18 August, 2017
I wouldn't mind having one of these for home personal use. Maybe add a few KAB mods when they become available.

If I was setting up a booth at a club or building a mobile rig, I would probably get 2 pairs of PLX-1000 over 1 pair of 1200GR. Seems smart to have an extra setup readily available for less money.
lvmez 10:56 PM - 18 August, 2017
i'm considering getting a pair selling my M5G's. I don't have a retailer near me to check them out in person.
lvmez 11:10 PM - 18 August, 2017
Mojaxx says he doesn't recommend them for DJing.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Good review.
HighTopFade 11:22 PM - 18 August, 2017
More reason to hang on to your M5G pair. M5Gs are a nice piece of classic Technics.

I hate the concept of hoarding, but if you gotta hoard something, hoard Technics.
kip 5:01 AM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
there are pics comparing the guts of the new ones to the old ones.

Link please.
ratoa 8:04 PM - 19 August, 2017
I saw the guts pictures myself and I'm not surprised.... We are on the 21st Century year 2017.

THe boards have lot's of surface mount components.... nothing different than your HDTV, smart phone, or a game console to name a few.

The PCB boards will be hard to repair unless you have the skills and the right equipment
kip 8:47 PM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
I saw the guts pictures myself

Have a link?
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:03 PM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
i'm considering getting a pair selling my M5G's. I don't have a retailer near me to check them out in person.

keep the M5Gs, probably the best table they made behind the original MK2s
ratoa 12:02 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Have a link?

I saw the pics on the 1200 1210 FB page awhile ago
ratoa 12:43 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Have a link?

Found one, link below:

www.dropbox.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:23 PM - 20 August, 2017
^thats the one I saw.

I don't really have a problem with the boards or the way they are laid out. I wouldn't expect anybody to make new through-hole PCBs these days although it would have been nice to get something repairable.
kip 8:01 PM - 20 August, 2017
Ok, I found the post in the FB group. Until further evidence is presented, anyone in their right mind can see it's just a bad humor with no facts. Only thing that might be true is that the pcbs could be hard for diy fix, but we'll have to see that yet.
Mr. Goodkat 9:40 PM - 20 August, 2017
cant wait to get one of these. not in the budget right now, but when i can flex with 2 of these and a rane 2015 i will be a extremely happy dj
lvmez 10:23 PM - 20 August, 2017
I am tempted to buy a pair now but I am concerned with them long term. I don't think they will be as easy to repair as original models.
Mr. Goodkat 11:57 PM - 20 August, 2017
Quote:
I am tempted to buy a pair now but I am concerned with them long term. I don't think they will be as easy to repair as original models.

of course you could get a lemon, but it seems by the time that something went wrong, there would be more resources and repair info. wonder what the warranty is?