Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

auto gain acting crazy....?

NIC.E 4:01 PM - 8 February, 2017
Sup y'all... I tried starting a help request, but after three messages over three days, I'm here listening to crickets... whats good staff??????????????????????????

anyway - loyal community, long time user here, and I've never used auto gain... over many years and thousands of gigs, I had set all of my gain levels for tracks manually... the software has always saved them - i set them once, and happily kept it moving.

not sure why but recently i purchased a controller and felt compelled to play around with some features I've never used, like auto gain. i understand the premise - you set the desired db level, check the auto gain box, and when loading a track, the software sets it to the db level you have selected.... designed to keep all song levels similar ... for the most part.

so when playing around with my denon mc7000, the first session, and choosing the recommended 92 db and checking auto gain, i noticed any track id play was coming in way too hot - painfully in the red. after playing maybe 15-20 songs i unchecked the auto gain box, and quit the software.

i never reanalyzed anything, never rescanned tags, nothing like this at all while i had the auto gain box checked. the next day while the box was now unchecked, i realized every song i was playing was coming in hot. songs I've played thousands of times (and did not play while i had the auto gain box checked) were now in the red on my level meters. i had a wedding, and i had to turn all the songs i played down one by one after loading and before mixing... not fun.

-why is my entire library now peaking if i didn't reanalyze it while auto gain was checked?
-is this a bug in 1.9.5?
-is there anyway to revert back to my old gain settings for each song... rebuilding data base or anything???
-should i re-check auto gain but choose a lower db level to try to at least get songs back under the red?

any help is greatly appreciated... thx fam

-nick
DJ Tecniq 8:47 PM - 8 February, 2017
Hey I know it sucks and I have gotten quite frustrated with auto gain myself. Try checking 91 db auto gain and reanalyzing your entire library and see how that goes. I don't understand how SDJ and auto gain can still peak levels at 92db (recommended setting) what is odd is even though I've reanalyzed my "entire" library I still get occasional tracks peaking from diff files I've just come to learn auto-gain isn't accurate and doesn't fully work to it's potential. Good luck
Serato, Support
Jordan L 9:39 PM - 8 February, 2017
Hey man,

Please send through your ticket number and I'll see where it's at.

Look forward to hearing back.
NIC.E 4:47 PM - 9 February, 2017
thx guys...

techniq - thanks for your input, man - this method is something I've been considering, but id really rather not settle on trusting auto gain - i get that this method will be a safe way to not burn off my guests' ears (if the feature actually does what its supposed to), but i really am hoping to figure out the issue and get my gains back to where i had set them before this mess... tons of work to have to readjust every song to get things perfect enough to perform at the standards i uphold...

jordan - someone got back to me with my help request soon after your post - thanks. please don't close this as id like to get more feedback from the community
DMax32284 9:51 PM - 9 February, 2017
Quote:
Hey I know it sucks and I have gotten quite frustrated with auto gain myself. Try checking 91 db auto gain and reanalyzing your entire library and see how that goes. I don't understand how SDJ and auto gain can still peak levels at 92db (recommended setting) what is odd is even though I've reanalyzed my "entire" library I still get occasional tracks peaking from diff files I've just come to learn auto-gain isn't accurate and doesn't fully work to it's potential. Good luck

I really wish there was a way to reanalyze without losing beat grid changes/hot cue positioning. I don't really edit any beat grids besides moves them a tick or two to line up the first beat of the track when its off. After reanalysis I can never line them up the same and my hot cues all need to be reset. I've got thousands of tracks I would need to reset/retype hot cues for.
wadup 4:35 PM - 11 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I really wish there was a way to reanalyze without losing beat grid changes/hot cue positioning.

you can reanalyze ur entire library without losing beat grid or bpm info...just uncheck "set bpm grid" the drop down menu is right next to the analyze files tab...
DJ.MIXTECO 10:53 PM - 11 February, 2017
Hello there i have the same problem .
im new whit serato dj
denon mc7000
2012 apple laptop 13 Sierra osx
let me now how to fixed NIC.E
StefanDDJ 5:50 AM - 5 December, 2017
The 92 db doesnt works correctly, I think. Try the setting 91 db and Denon 7000 channel gain to 12. Does it works?

When you set the gain manually, do you turn the software gain down till the end of the green lights flashing or to the first two yellow lights?

Or let someone the serato gain in the 12 position and turn down the Denon 7000 gain to 10-11?