Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is a Bose sound system any good for a mobile DJ?

Emad The Twister 5:01 PM - 28 January, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm investigating whether or not a Bose system or a JBL system like the Eon One is any good for a mobile DJ.

Is anyone using any of these systems. I'm looking for something that has a nice Base sound like my Mackie 15" Thump speakers. I have 3 of those any people at my gigs always complement how good they sound.

Thanks.

Truly,
Emad
Ragman 5:49 PM - 28 January, 2017
Bose makes many sound systems. Which one are you talking about?
Emad The Twister 7:26 PM - 28 January, 2017
Hi Ragman,

Bose L1 with the B2 bass module. Does the bass module sound as good and have as much power as the Mackie Thump 15" speakers?

If not can you let me know if any of the Bose systems matches or beats the Mackies?

Truly,
Emad
Ragman 1:15 AM - 29 January, 2017
2 B2 Bass modules with 2 L1s is a premium kick-ass speaker system. You won't be disappointed by the bass. Just stay away from the B1s.
Emad The Twister 1:51 AM - 29 January, 2017
Hi Ragman,

Thanks. I think I will start by getting a B2 bass module first then save up the the L1.

Truly,
Emad
Rebelguy 8:00 PM - 29 January, 2017
Quote:
Hi Ragman,

Thanks. I think I will start by getting a B2 bass module first then save up the the L1.

Truly,
Emad

Emad. If you purchase the B2 first you will be very disappointed with it and will probably end up returning or selling it. The B2 is "Engineered specifically to work with the L1 Model II and Model 1S systems". This means you need the L1 to make it sound good. The Bose is solid but you would be just as happy with the RCF Evox 8 or Evox 12 and save a bit of money.
Emad The Twister 8:42 PM - 29 January, 2017
Hi Rebelguy,

Thanks for the info on the Evox. I now need some time for saving. I hope the price goes down. I like the Evox 12 because the sub is 15" like my Mackie Thumps.

Truly,
Emad
dj vernon nyc 10:41 PM - 29 January, 2017
I have the Evox 12's with RCF 18 subs sounds like a super hifi system! Well worth the money!
Emad The Twister 10:44 PM - 29 January, 2017
Hi DJ vernon nyc,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a lot of people are using the Evox system.

Truly,
Emad
Ragman 1:37 AM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ragman,

Truly,
Emad

Emad. If you purchase the B2 first you will be very disappointed with it and will probably end up returning or selling it. The B2 is "Engineered specifically to work with the L1 Model II and Model 1S systems". This means you need the L1 to make it sound good. The Bose is solid but you would be just as happy with the RCF Evox 8 or Evox 12 and save a bit of money.

Good point ... As far as clarity, the Evox is better for delivering great bass 1st and mid-high 2nd. The Bose is better at delivering mid-high 1st and bass 2nd. So it basically comes down to your ear and the resonance balance you are looking for. Both companies make great array speaker systems.
Rebelguy 2:17 AM - 30 January, 2017
The Bose L1s deliver better mids but are lacking in high and low end. The old slogan with the pro sound guys is " No highs no lows...must be Bose."
Emad The Twister 12:38 PM - 30 January, 2017
Hi Everyone,

It's the bass I'm looking for 1st. and highs secondary.

Thanks so much. :-)

Truly,
Emad
dj vernon nyc 1:06 PM - 30 January, 2017
Then don't even waste your time with Bose! Spend the money and get RCF Evox or EV ETX
Ian Scott 2:49 PM - 30 January, 2017
Why are you investing in column line arrays? Because they're in fashion perhaps? Much better sound is achieved (and money saved) by using man-size mid-top cabinets with drivers bigger than your car door speakers. Singing drainpipes like the Bose, FBT and RCF Evox are expensive wine bar PA systems. Drive 'em hard and you'll soon see why.
Ian Scott 2:50 PM - 30 January, 2017
BOSE = Bring other sound equipment
dj vernon nyc 2:53 PM - 30 January, 2017
Sure Ian I've done events with 2 Evox 8 with over 700 people for 5 hrs in 90 degree weather! Sound the same from start to finish! And I play my equipment hard! Just because you can't afford RCF don't hate!
Rebelguy 4:13 PM - 30 January, 2017
I assume you are talking about 700 people in a general PA environment. The Evox 8 max out at about 200 people for dance floor volumes in a wedding environment.
dj vernon nyc 4:19 PM - 30 January, 2017
Really Rebelguy? Do you own a pair to know this? I've done weddings with close to 400 people no problems! My set
2-RCF Evox 08
2-RCF Subs
1-Pioneer SZ
1-Allen and Heath mixer
Ian Scott 4:34 PM - 30 January, 2017
Oh dear...DJ Vernon, it's nothing to do with hate (you Stateside guys have the monopoly on that lately...) It's to do with sound quality, SPL and projection
700 hundred people, eh? By the sound engineers' unwritten law of 10w per person, you're falling some way short. At least the first two rows can hear it I s'pose.

And why have an Allen & Heath mixer AND a Pioneer DDJ SZ?
dj vernon nyc 5:21 PM - 30 January, 2017
The question was do you own a pair of Evox's? I don't care about sound engineers unwrittten law of 10 w per person! I've been DJing and doing sound this 1976 I've own all types of equipment and was a friend of Richard Long one of the greatest sound engineers ever! So I know what good and what's not! The HiFi sound of RCF is unbeatable! That's why I've already purchased close to $15k of more RCF gear! Plus it's made in Italy not china like everyone else components! But you don't like it good that's not taking a dime out of my pocket!
dj vernon nyc 5:46 PM - 30 January, 2017
I'm not really here to fight over equipment choices just letting others know about great sounding speakers!
My choices for equipment
1-RCF
2-Yorkville
3-Jbl pro series
4-QSC
5-EV
Rebelguy 7:38 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
Really Rebelguy? Do you own a pair to know this? I've done weddings with close to 400 people no problems! My set
2-RCF Evox 08
2-RCF Subs
1-Pioneer SZ
1-Allen and Heath mixer

Do I own them? No. Have a I worked with them before? Yes. Adding subs like you did does help but I would still say things top out at 300 even with subs. Either way it's still not close to 700 people.
Rebelguy 7:40 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
I'm not really here to fight over equipment choices just letting others know about great sounding speakers!
My choices for equipment
1-RCF
2-Yorkville
3-Jbl pro series
4-QSC
5-EV

What about Meyer, L'acoustics, D&B, Nexo, Danley Sound Labs and Fulcrum Acoustic,
dj vernon nyc 7:58 PM - 30 January, 2017
Price on those are double compared to the speakers I listed! If was super rich of course I would call Meyers up and get one of his systems! The first and the best when it comes to powered speaker systems!
dj vernon nyc 8:00 PM - 30 January, 2017
It's all about the money and what you like and can afford. Also what the use of having a monster sound system and no real high paying gigs! The bigger your set up the bigger your competition becomes!
dj vernon nyc 8:08 PM - 30 January, 2017
Do you know how many times my wife has physically dragged me out of Audio analyst sound company which is 5 minutes from my house! A giant warehouse full of Meyers,L'acoustics,Eaw and JBL!!!!!
Rebelguy 8:23 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
Price on those are double compared to the speakers I listed!

Actually probably triple. Things are pretty insane in that market.
dj vernon nyc 8:37 PM - 30 January, 2017
Yes there are RCF prices are pretty insane right now too!
Hanginon 8:45 PM - 30 January, 2017
My issue with a pair of Bose L1 MKII/B2/ToneMatch's is #1 the cost of $6K (not a problem if you've got it) and #2, IMHO it should look more integrated. It is surprising to me that some enterprising person hasn't started marketing a base/stand for the L1 that will allow it to sit on top of a B2 that is turned sideways, with both woofers next to the floor. IMHO, the whole thing will look more "integrated", it will get the L1 a little higher, and the sub might even better couple to the room.
Ragman 8:57 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
The Bose L1s deliver better mids but are lacking in high and low end. The old slogan with the pro sound guys is " No highs no lows...must be Bose."

Rebelguy please correct if I'm wrong, but isn't that Leon the Hitman on your avatar. If so, It literally just hit me and I know you have been posting on here for a good while now.
Rebelguy 8:59 PM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Rebelguy please correct if I'm wrong, but isn't that Leon the Hitman on your avatar. If so, It literally just hit me and I know you have been posting on here for a good while now.

That is correct. Actually it's Leon from The Professional. And yes I've been on the boards for a few years.
Ragman 9:02 PM - 30 January, 2017
That's badass dude. One of my favorite characters that I hate got killed off.
Dj Wunder 2:04 AM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
I have the Evox 12's with RCF 18 subs sounds like a super hifi system! Well worth the money!

I'm curious, Vernon, because I roll with with Evox 12's as well, and I want to add an 18" or 21" sub to the mix for larger/bass heavy events. How do you wire everything up?
dj vernon nyc 2:28 AM - 31 January, 2017
Use the aux send to sub that's how most major sound engineers do it in big concerts. The full range goes to the evox 12 and aux send to the subs! use a good mixer with at least 2 to 3 aux sends. Cause the only mixer in the dj world that is on the same level as a stand alone mixer is that $5k pioneer tour mixer or the new Rane mp 2015 series 2
Rebelguy 4:20 PM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
Use the aux send to sub that's how most major sound engineers do it in big concerts. The full range goes to the evox 12 and aux send to the subs! use a good mixer with at least 2 to 3 aux sends. Cause the only mixer in the dj world that is on the same level as a stand alone mixer is that $5k pioneer tour mixer or the new Rane mp 2015 series 2

This may or may not work. Yes some sound engineers do aux feed the subs but they are sending them a crossed over signal. Depending on the sub you may get some bad overlap in low frequencies between the two different cabinets. This will make your system sound bad. My friend has had success using this method with an RCF 905 sub but problems when trying it with a KW181.

Another option if your sub has a built-in crossover is to send the signal to the sub and then come out of the cross over output into the Evox system.

Also, there are plenty of DJ mixers on par sound quality-wise with sound reinforcement mixers. They just don't have all the features. The Allen & Heath Xone 92 offers dual aux outs and 4 band eq on all its channels.
dj vernon nyc 4:48 PM - 31 January, 2017
I know my RCF 908 I have no problem with the signal cause of the electronics it has. I forgot about the A+H mixers really good sound from them with plenty headroom
dj vernon nyc 4:49 PM - 31 January, 2017
Speaking of mixers to you guys think the pioneer mixers are over rated?
DJ MAZE ONER 12:30 AM - 1 February, 2017
Hello the one and only allnighter is back
ThaCypherOfficial 5:36 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm investigating whether or not a Bose system or a JBL system like the Eon One is any good for a mobile DJ.

Is anyone using any of these systems. I'm looking for something that has a nice Base sound like my Mackie 15" Thump speakers. I have 3 of those any people at my gigs always complement how good they sound.

Thanks.

Truly,
Emad

The Bose L1 system is INCREDIBLE. Setup and break down time are ridiculously quick, the system doesn't take up much space, and the quality of sound is phenomenal. I owned the L1 model 2 system with2 bass units, before they upgraded the bass module. 1 system is perfect for indoors or back yards(more bass was always needed still) however when you need to cover a larger area you'll find yourself increasing the volume and then the unit will start to peak or "clip". If you're going to go that route, 2 systems is the way to go.
Dj SalsoMano G 2:53 PM - 7 September, 2017
So in conclusion what's your opinion about the Bise L1 M2. Is it worth it to invest ? I normally DJed at clubs and dint need my sound system but once in a while I do private events (200 ppl) and was wondering if the sound will be as good as when I use regular jbl 15 inch speakers?
dj_soo 9:50 PM - 7 September, 2017
Those l1 systems are better for coverage than volume. If I were mainly doing background music gigs, they might work. If you want loud, full range sound for dancing, a traditional setup is better (and cheaper).
djed 1:57 PM - 8 September, 2017
I have a pair of BOSE F1 and I'm happy with the sound quality. previously owned JBL MRX and YAMAHA DXR series.
dj_soo 6:27 PM - 8 September, 2017
F1 is a little more of a traditional top than an l1 although it still has the small arrayed drivers.