DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best sounding controler ? Denon MCX or Pioneer ....Roland ? Numark ?

benictrs 9:30 PM - 25 January, 2017
Hello ,
I have used for the last 2 years my Pioneer DDJ SX2 and it's time for me to purchase another controler .
I had owned previously : Numark NS6 , Vestax VCI 380 & 400 , DDJ Sx1 , DDj SZ1 ,
The most important thing for me is the sound quality . I realy don't want to carry an separate FOH mixer .
Wich controler on the market has the best sounding output ? What would you recomend ?
Thx in advance for your advice .
djvtyme85 12:21 AM - 26 January, 2017
so far i haven't found one controller that sounds great without additional processing. i've played on all the above mentioned with the exception of the Vestax controllers. roland claims to be the best sounding controller stand alone but i have only played with at GC. the best thing that ever happened to me was the dbx gorack pro. it's small but it gives me that extra punch without the need for bringing out my qsc board.
Rebelguy 1:41 AM - 26 January, 2017
If your coming concerns are sound quality why did you go from the SZ to the SX2? The SZ sounds noticeably better than the SX2.

With that being said, the Roland sounds better than the SZ. I have not heard the Denon or SZ2 yet.

If you value stability and a good sound I would just get the SZ2. The Denon and the Roland are still having some issues.

Also, don't buy a gorack. It will degrade your sound quality.
RonDu 3:08 PM - 26 January, 2017
Quote:
the best thing that ever happened to me was the dbx gorack pro. it's small but it gives me that extra punch without the need for bringing out my qsc board.

I have done just this. Worth the $24 bucks.

Quote:

Perhaps you know something I don't. So far I haven't noticed any degradation - only enhancement. Can you advise of this?
Rebelguy 10:08 PM - 26 January, 2017
I ran my soundcraft console console left channel straight to my speaker and the right channel through gorack and then into speaker. There was a noticeable loss of quality when music was played to both speakers side by side. The AFS is somewhat useful but I think it cuts more then it should in trying to do its job.
RonDu 10:56 PM - 26 January, 2017
Interesting. Thanks for the observation. I will try that out this weekend.

*dapz*
benictrs 3:57 PM - 28 January, 2017
Quote:
If your coming concerns are sound quality why did you go from the SZ to the SX2? The SZ sounds noticeably better than the SX2.

With that being said, the Roland sounds better than the SZ. I have not heard the Denon or SZ2 yet.

If you value stability and a good sound I would just get the SZ2. The Denon and the Roland are still having some issues.

The SZ i have owned was fron the first batch the one with the jogs that lost controle . Alsoo i did not liked the size of the unit . It was way too big for my mobile Dj need's .
At that time only the sx2 was the right size & fair features for the buck .
SG SOUNDS 5:52 PM - 29 January, 2017
For sound quality the Roland is the best of all controllers, it sounds similar to a rane 62 mixer..Second is the Denon.
SG SOUNDS 5:55 PM - 29 January, 2017
Why would you go from a SZ to a SX2? makes no sense...The SZ1 sounds better than the SX2
djvtyme85 6:33 AM - 25 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
the best thing that ever happened to me was the dbx gorack pro. it's small but it gives me that extra punch without the need for bringing out my qsc board.

Quote:

Perhaps you know something I don't. So far I haven't noticed any degradation - only enhancement. Can you advise of this?

Doesn't degrade my sound. As long as you set it up properly it is a great tool and really enhances your sound. I use it with my DDJ SZ, 57sl mk1 and Mixars Duo and its been a huge asset for such a small pricetag. But its very important you read the manual and configure it properly.
RonDu 11:45 AM - 28 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't degrade my sound. As long as you set it up properly it is a great tool and really enhances your sound. I use it with my DDJ SZ, 57sl mk1 and Mixars Duo and its been a huge asset for such a small pricetag. But its very important you read the manual and configure it properly.

I agree. I had the opportunity last weekend to truly A/B my system with it and I could not find any trace of degregation. All I found was enhancements with many of the presets. It is truly like having a bunch of racks combined into one. Haven't used the sub-option yet though.
djvtyme85 2:54 AM - 1 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I had the opportunity last weekend to truly A/B my system with it and I could not find any trace of degregation. All I found was enhancements with many of the presets. It is truly like having a bunch of racks combined into one. Haven't used the sub-option yet though.

I find the sub synth is great but you want to keep the setting between 25-40 anything more and it really can be overkill.