DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CDJ-400 Beatmatching

Sou 12:21 AM - 21 January, 2017
Hey guys,

I just bought two CDJ-400 with a DJM-400 two weeks ago, and since then I've been practicing beatmatching (no syncing and not by ear). I've already done a lot of research and watched a lot of tutorials on how to beatmatch, and I know that beatmatching requires a looot of practice, but I still feel like there is something that I'm not clearly understanding.

When I try to mix two tracks with different bpm's, I first make sure to adjust them to the same bpm using the tempo. Even tho they have the same bpm, the tempo is different (For example one would be 125bpm and the other one 125bpm with +0.16 for the tempo). Anyways, I assumed that this shouldn't be a problem, and I when try to beatmatch the tracks, I easily match both tracks, make sure that the beat's are in sync (I use the jogwheel if necessary), but every time I match them perfectly they start falling apart after couple of seconds. This has been happening with me for a while (Even when I change the tracks). I was hoping I can get a clear explanation or advice on what I should be doing.

Excuse my english

Thank you for your time

-Sou
Dj_Roger 4:15 AM - 21 January, 2017
Are you just looking at the bpm counter on the CDJ´s ? Use your ears instead.....
Sou 4:00 PM - 21 January, 2017
Mainly yes, I want to start using my ears but I don't understand why the beats falls out of sync everytime ?
Laz219 12:42 AM - 22 January, 2017
Because the BPM counter probably isn't accurate enough and getting them to be in line 'by the numbers' won't always work. You need to continually fine tune until you get them locked dead on- it's a lot easier to do this by ear.
Also, depending on the style of music- the drums may not be exactly on time. Most electronic music usually doesn't have this issue because it's all quantized.

I've always recommended learning with the same song on each deck, work it together- get it locked. push the jog wheel at random, repeat, move the pitch fader at random...repeat.
tT'll force you to learn which deck is moving ahead/behind very quickly.
Sou 12:59 AM - 22 January, 2017
Quote:
Because the BPM counter probably isn't accurate enough and getting them to be in line 'by the numbers' won't always work. You need to continually fine tune until you get them locked dead on- it's a lot easier to do this by ear.
Also, depending on the style of music- the drums may not be exactly on time. Most electronic music usually doesn't have this issue because it's all quantized.

I've always recommended learning with the same song on each deck, work it together- get it locked. push the jog wheel at random, repeat, move the pitch fader at random...repeat.
tT'll force you to learn which deck is moving ahead/behind very quickly.

Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you
Laz219 1:40 AM - 22 January, 2017
No problem.