DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Used Technics 1200

DJ Super Hands 3:51 PM - 20 January, 2017
Hi Everyone, I just bought some used black technics 1200 mk2s that came with cases and m44-7's for $800. It seemed like a really good deal and the tables are in really good condition. However, as I was testing everything out I noticed that the tone arm doesn't really move when you adjust the tracking. So I am assuming the tone are is bad, but since these are my first Technics I am not sure if it is an easy fix or if I should return them? When I am djing with them everything seems okay (only use serato tone vinyls), but need some advice on whether it's a big deal or not?

Thanks
DJ Super Hands 3:55 PM - 20 January, 2017
tone arms are bad*
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:03 PM - 20 January, 2017
have a watch of this video,

Watchwww.youtube.com

if the bearings are gone you need new tone arms
DJ Super Hands 4:06 PM - 20 January, 2017
Quote:
have a watch of this video,

Watchwww.youtube.com

if the bearings are gone you need new tone arms

Thanks DJ Sparky!
Detroitbootybass 8:34 PM - 20 January, 2017
Quote:
adjust the tracking

I'm not sure what you mean by 'adjust the tracking'. Are you talking about the tonearm weights? Or the anti-skate? Or the tonearm height?
DJ Super Hands 11:44 PM - 20 January, 2017
The anti-skate seems not to move the tone arm at all.
DJ Irv 11:51 PM - 20 January, 2017
The tonearm bearing might just be too tight but, if you don't know what you are doing don't touch them.
Detroitbootybass 4:59 PM - 22 January, 2017
Quote:
The anti-skate seems not to move the tone arm at all.

Then the fix could be as simple as replacing (or re-engaging) the spring that adjusts the anti-skate.