Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SDJ embedded controller?

Chino 3:04 AM - 20 January, 2017
So NAMM 2017 is here but I have yet to see any news of an SDJ embedded controller/media player. Pioneer has Rekordbox. Denon DJ has Engine Prime. Even Gemini has a new embedded controller the SDJ-4000???!!! Really, Serato... you let Gemini show you up????!!! Wow.
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:10 AM - 20 January, 2017
seratos developers these days can barely manage to contain the resources so the software can run on a i5/7, and you expect them to be able to embed the software ha ha
pdidy 8:08 AM - 20 January, 2017
Blasphemy...... Let's just be clear, Gemini should never be spoken of when speaking of Serato.
pdidy 8:16 AM - 20 January, 2017
But I agree with Sparky in a sense that Serato needs to expand in a way that increases revenue in order to obtain more resources to compete with mega companies like pioneer and tractor. But unfortunately I don't work for Serato so I can't explain how that can be done.
deejdave 5:26 PM - 20 January, 2017
Is there something to be gained from this that I don't know or isn't already possible?
Chino 6:33 PM - 20 January, 2017
Quote:
Blasphemy...... Let's just be clear, Gemini should never be spoken of when speaking of Serato.

LOL …someone has to lite a fire under Serato to do something innovative.

Quote:
Is there something to be gained from this that I don't know or isn't already possible?

The gain would be improved overall software stability AND a "laptop free" DJ experience. Yes, I know that the only real difference is that the computer would now be built into the DJ device. Embedded technology allows the developer to taylor the hardware specs for the actual software. A "walled" or "closed ecosystem" is more stable.

I have tried using Engine standalone on my MCx8000. It's good for a 2hr set but not quite ready for a 4 or 5 hr gig. Engine Prime has potential but honestly I don't completely trust inMusic's software developing abilities. I DO trust SSL!! IMHO, Serato should resurrect SSL in an embedded format…… coming soon the "Lazarus", a SSL embedded controller!! : )
deejdave 6:46 PM - 20 January, 2017
Does the new sc-5000 prime not do exactly this though? It reads serato's crates and lets u use them with the standalone functions. I know it is not serato 100% but even if it said serato it never would be 100%......... this is the largest issue with standalone. It is just not as powerful, feature rich or flexible...........

So yeah you really did see this from NAMM, no?
Chino 7:03 PM - 20 January, 2017
Yea I saw what Denon AND Gemini is offering. Both make me really want an SSL embedded version instead. Below is a link for more info on the Gemini standalone…

www.digitaldjtips.com
deejdave 8:42 PM - 20 January, 2017
So again what would be the gain of it saying SSL on top? Denon's engine prime can read serato crates, cut points, keys, comments etc. the controller offers more features than ssl had.......... what else is there?
Chino 11:49 PM - 20 January, 2017
The gain would be stability. I use Engine so I can tell you from experience that it is no where near as stable as SSL or even SDJ.

Denon DJ (inMusic in general)has yet to prove it can maintain a stable, reliable software. I'm very leery of Engine Prime because of my experience with the Engine software.
deejdave 12:10 AM - 21 January, 2017
You may be jumping the gun. The SW is supposedly built from the ground up. Out of curiosity what does Serato have access to that Denon doesn't that guarantees their standalone SW would be rock solid day one? Furthermore if this guaranteed existed why would Denon not take advantage of it?

Do you experience crashing on the SW as in installed laptop version or the Engine standalone functions of the MCX-8000? As far as I knew the standalone function of Engine/MCX-8000 was lacking but stable is this incorrect?
Chino 1:09 AM - 21 January, 2017
Quote:
Do you experience crashing on the SW as in installed laptop version or the Engine standalone functions of the MCX-8000? As far as I knew the standalone function of Engine/MCX-8000 was lacking but stable is this incorrect?

The crashing occurs with the Engine software on my MBP while attempting to analyze music files. It occurs less frequently on Engine 1.5.2 than previous versions but it happens too often for comfort. It happens on files that are 44.1 as well. Engine should have no problem reading these music files but complete crashes still occur.

For the most part Engine standalone function is stable once you manage to properly analyze all the music files. You are correct in stating that Engine in the MCx8000 is lacking many features now present in Engine Prime. The overall issue is trust. Bottom line is I personally TRUST Serato to develop and maintain their software. I don't have that same trust with Denon DJ.

Quote:
Out of curiosity what does Serato have access to that Denon doesn't that guarantees their standalone SW would be rock solid day one?

Serato has access to the SSL code and a team of talented developers. IMHO "Rock Solid Stability" can be assured by using the SSL version 2.5 code and complementary hardware. I know this sounds easier said than done but…Put the SSL 2.5 coded software inside a control/media player with the proper computer specs to run it smoothly. It may SEEM that Denon DJ has done this already with Engine Prime but only time will tell. I was an early adopter of the MCx8000 but I won't make that same mistake twice. I will now wait to see how Engine Prime pans out.
Chino 1:32 AM - 21 January, 2017
Let me put this another way……

If tomorrow Serato announced that they were releasing an equivalent controller to the MCx8000 with SSL/SDJ built in….I would sell my MCx8000 IMMEDIATELY and buy the Serato version.
DJ Tecniq 6:40 AM - 21 January, 2017
Quote:
seratos developers these days can barely manage to contain the resources so the software can run on a i5/7, and you expect them to be able to embed the software ha ha
Gotta agree on this one☝🏼