Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Make Serato accessible with screen readers (JAWS) again

GianniP46 7:02 PM - 17 January, 2017
Up until version 1.8, Serato DJ was able to be accessed by a screen reader called Jaws on windows. The QT code that was implemented broke accessibility in v 1.8 and beyond. The later version of qt have accessibility hooks; you guys just need to implement them. Please make Serato accessible again? I am stuck using version 1.7.7 with my Rane 57mkII. I would like to use later versions as there are features and bug fixes that are not currently accessible to me in Serato DJ 1.7.7.
deejdave 12:50 AM - 18 January, 2017
Is this due to Serato pulling away from Quicktime after they cut Windows support?
GianniP46 3:25 PM - 18 January, 2017
I don't think so, It's due to them switching to a QT based code without implementing the accessibility hooks in QT. They need to upgrade to the latest version of QT and turn accessibility on.
deejdave 5:21 PM - 18 January, 2017
Well I do know they are steering away from QuickTime due to the recent issues which started around 1.8 if not the next version. If this is dependant on quick time I would look into this as being the possible cause support.serato.com and if this is in fact what you mean by QT I would look into alternatives as it is not coming back. This is not a serato fault but instead runoff from a decision Apple made due to windows security issues.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:24 AM - 19 January, 2017
Hey GianniP46,

I am sorry to hear that JAWS is no longer working for you. We have never intentionally supported those programs, but I can certainly log a request for this, if QT allows us to do that as you say, then it something we can get on our list of things to do!

@deejdave, some clarification:

QT: UI tech that Serato DJ has used from 1.8 onwards: www.qt.io
Quicktime: decoders that Serato Video uses, and is required for certain audio file formats on Windows.

They are not the same thing, and the issue you have linked is not related in any way to this topic I believe. Both have issues, and are third party technologies we rely on for different aspects of the software.

Unfortunately in terms of easy to use cross platform UI tech, QT is one of the only choices out there, and you'll see Ableton Live, N.I and many other major audio software companies use QT for the same reasons.

With that said, we all face the same challenges that create issues for our users, and we sink a lot of time, money and effort to overcome these issues as best we can.
deejdave 10:39 AM - 19 January, 2017
Thanks for that. Wasn't sure what he meant by QT. Good to know though.
GianniP46 6:23 PM - 19 January, 2017
Hello Martin,
Yes, QT code especially QT 5.6 or the latest version can be made accessible. I am very familiar with how Jaws works, but I am not a programmer. I have sent multiple resources to Kane Donaldson who said that he would forward them to development. I have been told that I cannot correspond with the Dev team directly, so I have been sending info to Kane who is passing it on I hope. I would love to help as much as possible; are you tech support or a developer? yes, please log a request or let me know if one has been logged already?
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:23 PM - 19 January, 2017
I am a product planner, Kane is tech support. Neither of us alone have the power to make this happen though, it does have to be prioritised amongst many other things that Serato DJ could/should do.

I have checked with Kane, he has assured me it has been logged. The reality is, the more requests we get from multiple users needing this functionality, the more likely it will happen. If only 1 in 10,000 DJs need this, it makes a lot harder to prioritise agains something that 1 in 10 DJs request.

I'm not saying its not going to happen, and I don't know the exact numbers of demand for this, but I am just trying to keep expectations realistic.

Appreciate your input and willingness to help!
GianniP46 3:38 PM - 17 March, 2017
Hi all, Just checking again... Where are we with accessibility in Serato? Any word from development on this matter? If not, let's mention it again.
GianniP46 2:31 PM - 3 April, 2017
Again, can someone from Serato please reply? Where are we with accessibility? Have you guys mentioned it again to development?
GianniP46 2:24 PM - 14 June, 2017
Hello, where are we with accessibility with screen readers? Have you guys upgraded to the latest version of QT which should be fully accessible out of the box? Thank you for your help with this matter.
deejdave 10:09 PM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
If only 1 in 10,000 DJs need this, it makes a lot harder to prioritise agains something that 1 in 10 DJs request.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but if I had to guess this ^^^ may in fact not be too far off from what is affecting this from moving along.