Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How to get the best sound out of your mix ?

meccacitysound 2:32 PM - 11 January, 2017
Just recorded a mix in serato dj out put is in aiff file size is huge 763mb so i usually
play it in itunes and create aac version which is mp4 but quality is now 264kbps 163mb
Overall my levels sound pretty good to me i was never redlining
I know i can send it to someone to get mastered but looking for other options i can do myself

whats the easiest way to convert to 320kbps ..with a smaller file size?
How does aiff compare to wav and flac ?
What do you guys do after making a mix ?
DJ Tecniq 7:54 PM - 11 January, 2017
Quote:
Just recorded a mix in serato dj out put is in aiff file size is huge 763mb so i usually
play it in itunes and create aac version which is mp4 but quality is now 264kbps 163mb
Overall my levels sound pretty good to me i was never redlining
I know i can send it to someone to get mastered but looking for other options i can do myself

whats the easiest way to convert to 320kbps ..with a smaller file size?
How does aiff compare to wav and flac ?
What do you guys do after making a mix ?
Hey man you can use a program called Audacity for mac it's free and can save your mix as mp3, wav, etc. If you're not using a mac i think windows has software. It's always best to record in Serato with low volume recording settings then normalize them or higher them in Audacity or some other audio editing software.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:36 PM - 11 January, 2017
meccacitysound,

I would suggest using an another audio software to master your mix and smooth out your levels a bit.
I use Ableton and it has a mastering channel in there (limiter and compressor with a touch of eq) to polish my mixes.

There is a good article that goes in a bit more detail. support.serato.com

You don't have to pay someone to master your mix if you are willing to do the extra steps your self.

Regards
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:01 AM - 12 January, 2017
You can also use LANDR for automatic mastering. This will most likely be of a better quality than an amateur attempt at mastering - but it may not meet the quality of a professionally mastered solution.

Their new desktop app has a new setting that is designed for mixes, rather than just tracks.

I've used this a few times myself for podcasts - while I can do a pretty solid mastering job, this gets pretty great results and is much quicker.

Have a look and see if this may suit: www.landr.com
mixgoonie 10:50 AM - 12 January, 2017
I've made some testing of LANDR and even recently but never found the option for a DJ set instead of mastering a track. Could you give me more details ?

Thanks.
meccacitysound 12:42 PM - 12 January, 2017
i will check out landr thanks !
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 8:10 PM - 12 January, 2017
Hey mixgoonie.
This is only available in the desktop app currently I believe.
Download it and check it out! It's quite a big difference to the old algorithms.

It keeps the dynamics per track as intact as possible, while leveling the mix nicely. It does require your original mix to be fairly solidly mixed however, so it won't fix something that needs a good amount of attention to certain tracks.

But from my testing it sounds loud, has tight low end, and has some nice sheen to the top end.
mixgoonie 9:41 AM - 13 January, 2017
Tested with the desktop app and i did not found any solution for DJ mixes, just the possibility to choose 3 solutions (Low, med, high).

Maybe it is not available anymore ?
MilkieDJ 1:13 PM - 13 January, 2017
I just tried LANDR, free account with Lo Quality. I'm not impressed, sounds harsh and has removed some low end frequencies, some of this could be due to the quality on the MP3 it produced.

I could not find an option for selecting if it is a mix or song and also only had Low/Med/High.
mixgoonie 1:23 PM - 31 January, 2017
If anyone has any other idea, it is always welcome ;)

I do now record externally, which to my opinion sounds a bit better.