Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato vs Rekordbox

Maycul 11:36 AM - 10 January, 2017
Hi guys

I'm planning to buy a Pioneer DJ Controller either DDJ-SB2 or DDJ-RB. I've heard that if I want to use Serato I'd better buy the SB2 and if I'd prefer to use Rekordbox as a Software than I should buy the RB. Well, honestly, I just know Serato and just the basics, Rekordbox is totally new for me so I have no idea which one to choose. Could you give me advice and tell me the differences etc. about these two? I've heard that Rekordbox is growing and could extinguish Serato?! probably it's never gonna happen but yeah

Thanks!
popnwave 4:00 PM - 10 January, 2017
Quote:
Hi guys

I'm planning to buy a Pioneer DJ Controller either DDJ-SB2 or DDJ-RB. I've heard that if I want to use Serato I'd better buy the SB2 and if I'd prefer to use Rekordbox as a Software than I should buy the RB. Well, honestly, I just know Serato and just the basics, Rekordbox is totally new for me so I have no idea which one to choose. Could you give me advice and tell me the differences etc. about these two? I've heard that Rekordbox is growing and could extinguish Serato?! probably it's never gonna happen but yeah

Thanks!

Serato DJ isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Go with the interface you prefer.
DJ Tecniq 4:35 PM - 10 January, 2017
I highly suggest getting the SB2 I tried the DDJRB with Rekordbox and the software is not as user friendly as Serato plus there is no feature for Camelot key notation in Rekordbox a real buzzkill. Keep in mind the SB2 only works with Serato Intro. In order to use it with Serato DJ it's a "paid upgrade" for a SDJ license so you either pay full price or do the monthly membership option. The DDJRB is the better buy cause it comes with a full Rekordbox license but imo it is not worth it. I shipped the RB unit back yesterday in exchange for the the SB2. If you are comfortable with Serato then stick with that. Good luck man👍🏼
Mike Sinclair 10:34 PM - 11 January, 2017
It's all a matter of personal preference. I've gone back & forth with both pieces of software and personally, I prefer Rekordbox DJ. I have the DDJ-RX. I disagree that Serato is more user-friendly, but again, everyone has their opinion.
DJ Tecniq 11:17 PM - 11 January, 2017
Quote:
It's all a matter of personal preference. I've gone back & forth with both pieces of software and personally, I prefer Rekordbox DJ. I have the DDJ-RX. I disagree that Serato is more user-friendly, but again, everyone has their opinion.
Does rekordbox have settings like play from first cue or play from start? Could never figure that out but alone the software is not able to sort keys as camelot notation like Serato which really bugged me. Glad you have luck with it though
Mike Sinclair 2:58 AM - 12 January, 2017
Yes, you can choose to have it play from the first cue point or from the start. The Camelot thing bothered me also, but I just run my songs through mixed in key, and have it put the Camelot notation in "comments". Then I just bring up the comments column and there's your Camelot key. Not as nice as having it in the key field, but it works.
DJ Tecniq 3:16 AM - 12 January, 2017
Quote:
Yes, you can choose to have it play from the first cue point or from the start. The Camelot thing bothered me also, but I just run my songs through mixed in key, and have it put the Camelot notation in "comments". Then I just bring up the comments column and there's your Camelot key. Not as nice as having it in the key field, but it works.
Yeah aside from that I'm not gonna take the time to analyze my entire library in MIK that would take forever.
deejdave 1:57 AM - 14 January, 2017
Quote:
Yeah aside from that I'm not gonna take the time to analyze my entire library in MIK that would take forever.

Just about every person who owns MIK has analyzed their entire library with it. You already payed for the SW at that point why not use it and get the most out of it. Furthermore to use MIK's newer features (MIK8) you are required to re-analyze also. I did not do this for 8 but I did re-analyze my library (around 80K files at the time) for MIK 7. I simply took a weekend I didn't need my library, plugged it into one of my MBP's and let it go. It took just over a day but so what. Not like I was doing the work manually. Not like it affected me in any way. The next time I plugged in my external it was all done and ready to go. You should be re-analyzing your Serato library every few releases as well so I was able to take advantage of the changes with zero work on my end. A little planning ahead goes a long way.
938MyDJ 5:22 AM - 14 January, 2017
I believe all columns on Rekordbox can be altered/rename.

If cannot use the Classical Keys, just replace them manually...

i.e. ALL Am to 8A - ALL C Major to 8B.
938MyDJ 5:23 AM - 14 January, 2017
If *you*
DJ Tecniq 5:33 AM - 14 January, 2017
Quote:
I believe all columns on Rekordbox can be altered/rename.

If cannot use the Classical Keys, just replace them manually...

i.e. ALL Am to 8A - ALL C Major to 8B.
I just like the convenience of SDJ setting them as Camelot when you analyze. Don't know many DJ's that would take the time to replace the keys manually. Once my full library is analyzed it's done till i add more. Simplicity👍🏼
938MyDJ 5:57 AM - 14 January, 2017
Well, Camelot keys can be used in Serato... just stick to it.

Either don't use Rekordbox or get used with the Classical keys.
DJ Tecniq 6:19 AM - 14 January, 2017
Quote:
Well, Camelot keys can be used in Serato... just stick to it.

Either don't use Rekordbox or get used with the Classical keys.
I just got my replacement SB2 so I'll try it out with Rekordbox had really horrible latency with the DDJRB on Rekordbox so now I'm curious how the SB2 compares in Rekordbox. I'm gonna test it.
StefanDDJ 10:17 PM - 29 January, 2017
@Mike,

hi, what do you think about the sound quality of DDJ RX? The DDJ RR sounds not very professional. But I like the Pioneer Hardware Design and cool RB-Features too.

Maybe Denon and Roland Sound ist way better??
Mike Sinclair 7:37 PM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
@Mike,

hi, what do you think about the sound quality of DDJ RX? The DDJ RR sounds not very professional. But I like the Pioneer Hardware Design and cool RB-Features too.

Maybe Denon and Roland Sound ist way better??

Stefan... sorry for the late response. I haven't been on here in a bit. Anyway, after messing with the RX and Rekordbox, I ended up going back to the DDJ-SX2 and Serato. The auto gain feature is MUCH better with Serato and overall sound is better (IMHO).
StefanDDJ 9:09 AM - 21 April, 2017
Thank you. I work with a Denon 7000 and Serato. I think it sounds better than Pioneer Controllers.
I like the Pioneer Gear and Rekordbox DJ, but the Sound Quality is just the most important Thing.
Kristian Valdini 3:18 PM - 21 April, 2017
Quote:

I just batch update the tracks when I have imported them, will take around 10 minutes to update a larger library manually, after than around 2 mins max for about 50 tracks when I add new tracks etc.

Steps:

1. Import tracks into RB as usual.
2. Sort by new tracks by 'Key'
3. Select each batch of 'Keys' e.g Ab
4. Update the 'Key' field, converting from standard notation (A) to Camelot (11b) using this link
below to help.
www.reddit.com
5. Done. Not messy comments. Full Library in check with Camelot.

K
Andrei Matei 1:14 AM - 30 April, 2017
Quote:

You do realize that MIK has the highest accuracy rate compared to all other software? djtechtools.com

Why wouldn't you just set the laptop to scan for a day, and then serato to scan for another day, so you are using the most accurate key detection system possible?
Mike Sinclair 1:33 PM - 30 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize that MIK has the highest accuracy rate compared to all other software? djtechtools.com

Why wouldn't you just set the laptop to scan for a day, and then serato to scan for another day, so you are using the most accurate key detection system possible?

Agreed. Just make sure those darn export cue points aren't happening. Otherwise MIK does the best job, by a fair margin of detecting the key. Just remember to UN-CHECK "set key" in Serato's analysis or you're re-scanning the key & overwriting everything MIK did.