Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Has PC's caught up to Mac?

dj vernon nyc 2:20 PM - 9 January, 2017
It's seem after doing a lot of research on what's new out there in the laptop world it's seem that Mac has lost its edge on the PC's! The new MacBook Pro's are not upgradeable unless you get it done by Mac which will cost you a arm and a leg! Priced a 15 Mac fully spec out over$3500! Way over priced plus it's no given it's going to solve a lot of the problems that most of us are having with the lastest versions of SDJ! Follow Dj's what are your views on this
Chino 2:43 PM - 9 January, 2017
I agree that Macs are vastly overpriced. It would be great to have a cheaper Windows alternative but my major concern would be stability. I use a 2012 MBP because I was able to max it out. If you do find a good running Windows computer definitely let me know so I can buy one too.

In the future maybe Serato will develop embedded technology so we don't have need for a laptop.
dj vernon nyc 2:54 PM - 9 January, 2017
The spec on all the new PC's are way better than the Mac's! And the there all using the same i7 processor! Apple has really fallen off since Mr. Jobbs passed
ekalb 3:13 PM - 9 January, 2017
Quote:
Apple has really fallen off since Mr. Jobbs passed

I agree with that a 100%
pdidy 5:15 PM - 9 January, 2017
Quote:
The spec on all the new PC's are way better than the Mac's! And the there all using the same i7 processor! Apple has really fallen off since Mr. Jobbs passed

But it's not really about the specs when it comes to Serato, it's about the operating system.

It's pretty much common knowledge that Serato has always favored the Mac operating system and that has not and probably will not change for a very long time.

Therefore it's far too soon to even pose the question "Has PC's caught up to Mac?" Because the obvious answer is no until Serato significantly steps up its development on PC.
pdidy 5:28 PM - 9 January, 2017
I think all of this hope that PCs are finally an equal option to mac is stemming from the issues of the new 2016 Mac and the past failures of el capitan.

But like everything else with Serato it takes time, a year from now all this will be forgotten.
DJ Tecniq 5:38 PM - 9 January, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would want a brand new mac in the first place I'm on a Mid 2014 mbp which is a beast. Pc's may be all spec'd out now but they have trouble running Serato. I would think any i7 laptop with 8 gigs ram would be fine like an HP or Asus. They have great deals on amazon for some i7's. Apple has changed and that's why I don't care for new models what works for me is fine.
deejayayup 10:06 PM - 9 January, 2017
I'm using a mid-2012 mbp, upgraded to 1TB SSD and 8gb RAM but I'm not sure what to do when this thing stops functioning properly. It runs like a dream at the moment but to buy an equivalent new MBP it's going to cost me at least ยฃ2500!! I looked at the Razer Blade but they are a similar price for a similar spec and it's Windows (ugh).
DJ Tecniq 10:09 PM - 9 January, 2017
^ I paid $2400 for my mbp in 2014 I got the best of the best for video mixing purposes. Paid it off in a year๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
pdidy 10:44 PM - 9 January, 2017
Worst case scenario, lets say Serato and apples new 2016 Macbook pro NEVER become compatible.....

A 2015 macbook pro running Yosemite or macOS Sierra will have a 5 year life span and will remain compatible with all versions of serato up to 2020. Therefore we have approximately 3 more years before we have to worry about if the sky is falling and windows PC is our only option.

Now consider the chances of that actually happening ? I say its far to early to be even slightly concerned, so wake me up in 2019 so we can talk about it....lol
deejdave 1:22 AM - 10 January, 2017
Even IF this worst case scenario were to happen Serato would recognize and address the issue. No future in an uncertain future.

BTW lb. for lb. PC's have always out-valued Macs. This is the main reason Windows machines sell WAY more than macs to consumers. In the studio/in the clubs Apple products become way more universal & standard hence the reason they are easier to support hence the reason there are so many SW dev's who only develop for Apple products.

I will always choose Windows over Mac for everyday use and I wish I only had to utilize only one platform but reality is reality.
DJ Unique 2:07 AM - 10 January, 2017
I did a 3 hour test at home on a brand new maxed out 2016 MacBook Pro and did not experience any problems. I was running Serato DJ + Mix Emergency using a Firewire HD connected to a Thunderbolt 2 dock. The thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter worked for me.

I will continue testing before i use this live at an event. I am currently using a maxed out 2013 MacBooj Pro and no problems there either.
pdidy 2:35 AM - 10 January, 2017
Quote:
Even IF this worst case scenario were to happen Serato would recognize and address the issue.

EXACTLY, Im just pretending it were possible even though its not :)

Quote:
I will always choose Windows over Mac for everyday use and I wish I only had to utilize only one platform but reality is reality.

Me to but its not a reality yet. If I could get the same stability/reliability out of a PC for much less i'd have no problem switching.
EvolutionaryFault 4:28 AM - 10 January, 2017
WINNER!!!
2010 MBP. Dual core i7. 4 decks, 2dvs.

I don't know why Serato hates pc's so much, but I got a good mac HALF A DECADE AGO, and no problems since.

Mac always had a te for music and video; well now I do legit music. There's a case for drivers, for OS, and for voodoo. If you serato; then you mac. Pay the $500+
Last I heard it was the special (/lack of) sound drivers. Before that it was the 32 bit kernel.

Just suck it up and buy a mac. a 13" goes for about 1 CDJ. I use the laptop more :)

I actually prefer mac for life (!?!). Who knew?. Thanks serato.
dj vernon nyc 5:03 AM - 10 January, 2017
I have a Mac I was just checking on how far the PC's have come
Prestoe 5:15 AM - 10 January, 2017
Mac's better than PC's??? Trippin
Dj_Danny 4:49 PM - 10 January, 2017
LOL, Mac users "want to believe" that mac's are better then pc's, afterall they over pay way more then pc users. You have to mentally believe that you are getting something better. Are you really? Compare a high-end pc laptop which half the cost of a high end mac, and you are not.

This mac vs pc thing is beyond dumb. PC's are the best bang for your buck. Look at the forums and all the issues Apple users have, especially every time the OS changes!

I have been using ScratchLive since 2007, on a Windows XP Dell Inspiron w/4 gigs of ram and a dual core processor. The system partition is JUST for DJing, and once Serato stabilized the software bugs NEVER had an issue. NEVER ever had a crash and its almost been 10 years, same system.

Hell it was only last year that I moved to SeratoDJ because I wanted to get into video. Imagine that windows xp, 30k in music, but yeah keep thinking macs are better then pc's lol.
pdidy 7:14 PM - 10 January, 2017
Dj_Danny, what MacBook computers have you owned ?
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:36 AM - 11 January, 2017
Just ordered a XPS13 for everyday stuff ie emailing, amazoning, ebaying and to prolong the life of my 15" MacBook pro which will now be dedicated to Djing.

I was waiting for the new macbook pro but I just feel apple priced it out of my budget.

I needed something small enough for me not to feel in my bag and if push comes to shove I can easily use as backup for my main MBP.

Feeling a bit excited and anxious about this, it's like smashing an old girlfriend. I just hope it won't bring back memories of why I left her in the first place.
DjLouie Jr 1:54 PM - 11 January, 2017
I agree that Mac's are way overpriced, but the thing is that most people don't understand its not that the hardware of PC's that needs to catch up to Mac its that windows software does not run Serato dj as smooth as a Mac, until software writers start to make programs on PC platform Mac will almost always run smoother , I also believe that the more they keep adding features updates to Serato Dj they will always be more bugs in the system. I really mis Scratch Live tho it is such a simple program but an amazing rock solid never crashed on me & No Sync & other things that real mobile Dj's do not need, theres only a few things that Serato Dj has that works amazing its that Pitch N Time & the fact that it works with so manny different hardware controllers P.S I'm on Serato DJ 1.7.8 i tried updating but i alway had issues on all other versions so i'm not moving from this 1.7.8, I Use Macbook Pro 17'' late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel i7 8 GB it's running with out any problems I will not update anymore
deejdave 2:33 PM - 11 January, 2017
That is all it is. People take much offense to hear their precious machines are not ideal but what needs to be absorbed is it is not a question of specs or performance. It is straight up comparability. I started using SSL with a nice high performance (at the time) toshiba satellite and serato "worked" fine. I put this in quotes as by definition it ran the software at a state that was useful and possible. That being said I will never forget the day I used ssl with my first MacBook Pro. I bought one for the cool glowing Apple and backlit keyboard as well as the sleek aluminum look and never even knew what I was missing. I know some hate the idea of Apple and the lack of options combined with the fact there has not been much change over the years. Truth be told this "uniform" and standard ecosystem is the primary reason they are so easy to support. Add the fact that the OS and much software is developed within the same realm. We can go back and forth all day but if we are being honest this is not a level playing field and there is really no way it was not going to be this way. For anyone who can not tell Serato is designed on the Mac structure and later "ported" to windows. There are literally elements of serato video that do not work for anything but Mac. Serato remote is apple only. Mix emergency (partner of serato) is mac only. Ableton link is apple only (mobile). To have all options, make the most, and have the best chance of things going 100% I see no better choice. Still no guarantees but I see no reason to remove as much chance as possible.
deejdave 2:38 PM - 11 January, 2017
I would be one happy camper if this were not the case though. I happen to prefer the look and feel of windows over Mac OS any day. The price? Well I firmly believe you get what you pay for and again if we are being honest if you take the worlds most expensive laptops they would all be windows machines. This does not mean I am going to buy one so this argument is moot. In need many of the options listed above and to add to this there are quite a few dj/production apps that don't offer windows support at all so in terms of value? One works for my needs the other does not. Which is the better value?
dj vernon nyc 2:56 PM - 11 January, 2017
Well said deejdave!
paazel 6:41 AM - 12 January, 2017
So I've been DJing on Serato since 2006. Originally with a 12" Powerbook, then 2 13" MacBook Pro's, and the last 4 years a 2012 rMBP. This summer my rMBP crashed mid gig due to defective video card. Apple replaced it under warranty and promised it back by a certain date. That date comes, and no laptop :( They suggest I purchase a new El Cap laptop (at this point Serato still had big issues with El Cap), I decided that wasn't a appropriate solution.

My invoicing computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon (i5-4200, 8GB RAM, integrated graphics, Hi DPI screen) that I bought as a refurb for $600. I bought a $300 1TB SSD, threw it in and copied over my music. This is woefully under-powered laptop compared to my rMBP. I've been DJing successfully since 7/5/16 on this Windows 10 laptop with no issues. Yes, I miss the Apple trackpad/keyboard. I performed 210 gigs last year. Yes, I will eventually upgrade to the new rMBP, but I can say with 100% confidence you can DJ successfully on a Windows PC.
pdidy 10:32 AM - 12 January, 2017
Quote:
Yes, I will eventually upgrade to the new rMBP, but I can say with 100% confidence you can DJ successfully on a Windows PC.

But the question is not "can you successfully dj with a Windows PC ?" Because you absolutely can but that's too general of a question or statement once you consider all the different brands and millions of possible configurations that or not easily predictable in performance with Serato.

For example you can say get any 2012 - 2015 MacBook Pro and it will work with Serato with the highest stability and reliability possible but there's no such thing as an equal window standard you can say same for because there are far too many variables due two brands and unlimited possibilities of configurations.
mixgoonie 10:48 AM - 12 January, 2017
The other alternative but not an easy one is to install Iatkos on a computer, so you have the El capitan or Sierra on a computer and can enjoy of some of the advantages of MacOs.

But still, it remains risky even if until now i never had any issues with Serato or Djay. Only Cross causes some stutters.
paazel 4:41 AM - 13 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I will eventually upgrade to the new rMBP, but I can say with 100% confidence you can DJ successfully on a Windows PC.

But the question is not "can you successfully dj with a Windows PC ?" Because you absolutely can but that's too general of a question or statement once you consider all the different brands and millions of possible configurations that or not easily predictable in performance with Serato.

For example you can say get any 2012 - 2015 MacBook Pro and it will work with Serato with the highest stability and reliability possible but there's no such thing as an equal window standard you can say same for because there are far too many variables due two brands and unlimited possibilities of configurations.

It's not a general statement at all; my platform is clearly described. Use any Lenovo Carbon X1 with a clean Windows 10 install with updated drivers and follow the optimization guide from Serato and you're good to go! You have to tweak Windows the same way you have to tweak OSX. It takes some time to figure out each system.

There are pros & cons to each platform. At the end of the day these are tools that you have to learn how to use. @DJ Vernon, I'm NYC based, holla at me if you need help.
Murkster-Dubez 7:04 AM - 13 January, 2017
Everyone around me has a Mac. To me the only real benefit is not having to use drivers for various controllers etc. In reality, id love to find a mac that runs serato better than my windows LAPTOP. my Desktop class i7-4790k runs serato better than any maxed out mac and also analyses files faster.

When i was between gaming laptops my surface pro 3 ran serato very well. I always find it weird people often end up comparing $1000+ macbooks with $500 windows laptops. Compare my $1500 Laptop with your $1500 Mac and i will win every single time. Compare my $1500 Laptop with your maxed out Mac and ill also win everytime.
John Calipari 3:52 PM - 13 January, 2017
Quote:
Compare my $1500 Laptop with your maxed out Mac and ill also win everytime

All modern Macs come maxed out because everything is soldered onto the PCB at the factory, there is no upgrade path.
pdidy 10:01 PM - 13 January, 2017
Quote:
Everyone around me has a Mac. To me the only real benefit is not having to use drivers for various controllers etc. In reality, id love to find a mac that runs serato better than my windows LAPTOP. my Desktop class i7-4790k runs serato better than any maxed out mac and also analyses files faster.

When i was between gaming laptops my surface pro 3 ran serato very well. I always find it weird people often end up comparing $1000+ macbooks with $500 windows laptops. Compare my $1500 Laptop with your $1500 Mac and i will win every single time. Compare my $1500 Laptop with your maxed out Mac and ill also win everytime.

What mac laptops have you owned ?
djbrulafu 9:48 PM - 15 January, 2017
Quote:

I'm nearly at the stage to upgrade my laptop and am really tempted to go down the PC route. I did initially with a Sony Vaio 17" will SSL back in 2005.

What is it you run with. You can pm me if you want. I'm in Glasgow too.

Cheers

Bruce
John Calipari 11:00 PM - 15 January, 2017
Quote:
I'm nearly at the stage to upgrade my laptop and am really tempted to go down the PC route. I did initially with a Sony Vaio 17" will SSL back in 2005.

Cheers

Bruce

Look at the community discussions reporting issues and complaining for the last year and you will find it is fairly obvious.

Mac OSX is the far superior Platform for Serato . . . . and Traktor . . . . and Ableton . . . . and Pro-Tools . . . . and nearly all creative media apps in general for that matter.
djbrulafu 11:15 PM - 15 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Bruce

Look at the community discussions reporting issues and complaining for the last year and you will find it is fairly obvious.

Mac OSX is the far superior Platform for Serato . . . . and Traktor . . . . and Ableton . . . . and Pro-Tools . . . . and nearly all creative media apps in general for that matter.

Yeah, I know. I've ran with a Mac for the last 10 years and I have had issues but probably not as much as the PC guys have had. I was just curious about how it is these days and since the guy up above hadn't had any issue at all. I was curious to find out more.
John Calipari 1:47 AM - 16 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Bruce

Yeah, I know. I've ran with a Mac for the last 10 years and I have had issues but probably not as much as the PC guys have had. I was just curious about how it is these days and since the guy up above hadn't had any issue at all. I was curious to find out more.

For sure, nobody in their right mind would claim that Macs have no issues whatsoever, albeit I have never had any on either a Mac.

But I Sold a controller to a dude, went over to his studio to help him set it up, between, getting the Driver to Load, and getting his Win PC to see the controller, alternating those with targeting the issue in that cluttered mess Microsoft calls the Windows Registry, it was a nightmare . . an absolute Fu'ing nightmare. What would have taken about a minute on a Mac, took over 2 hours of trial and error on his Maxed out i7 Win PC. As soon as we got it to recognize the Controller, I bolted . . . who knows what he went through upon every revision of Serato since. And I work 40+ Hours on week on Windows PC's so I know the ins and outs of them and I've seen other Win PC's like the older VAIO's with barely enough specs have no issues whatsoever. Hit&Miss. Macs are Hits & rare VERY RARE Misses.
djcrap 2:02 AM - 16 January, 2017
In case mid 2012 macbook pro fails I got an Asus 17.3 inch republic of gamers G701vi laptop

Laptop Specs

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-6820HK Quad-Core
64GB DDR4 RAM / 2 x 512GB SSD
17.3" 1920 x 1080 G-Sync 120Hz Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB GDDR5)
Multi-Format Media Card Reader
802.11ac Wi-Fi / Bluetooth 4.0
USB Type-C / HDMI / Mini-DP / Thunderbolt 3
Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Runs serato dj plus serato video with zero issues. I even run ableton on it.
It hands evey thing i throw at it with no issues
djcrap 2:04 AM - 16 January, 2017
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘†๐Ÿผ fuckin auto correct fuck it am not fixing those spelling error
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:23 AM - 16 January, 2017
Quote:

Cheers

Bruce

Don't do it.

I just got a Dell XPS13.

I don't have any problem with getting it to work with Serato but no way in hell will I be confident in taking it to a gig.

I just took a quick look the optimisation for Windows page and I got a headache.

That alone reminded me of why I went Mac since 2010.

It's really 3rd in line for gig duties. 15" rMBP and 13" rMBP will see action first.

Heard Virtual DJ runs like a champ on Windows I might try that.
DJ Unique 8:05 PM - 16 January, 2017
Tested my new late model 2016 MacBook Pro again this weekend.
4 hours on Serato DJ + Mix Emergency on a Rane 62 and no problems.

About 3 weeks ago I also tested on a new Samsung running Win 10 for about 4 hrs on Serato DJ + Serato Video + ShowXpress light software on a DDJ SR and also no problems.

I have been using my late model 2013 MacBook Pro and also have not had any problems.

All my music is stored on externals and connected via Firewire or USB 3.
deejdave 9:01 PM - 16 January, 2017
Just curious how you have been using Firewire. Im assuming the 2013 is the 13" non retina?
DJ Unique 12:00 AM - 17 January, 2017
Quote:
Just curious how you have been using Firewire. Im assuming the 2013 is the 13" non retina?

The 2013 is a full spec Retina and I use an TB to FW adapter.

On the last test on the new 2016 MacBook, I used a FW hard drive connected to a Thunderbolt dock, which connected to a USB-C to TB adapter.
deejdave 12:02 AM - 17 January, 2017
This is a very limiting scenario yes? Is this audio only?
deejdave 12:13 AM - 17 January, 2017
I only ask because firewire 800 is very slow compared to even USB 3.0 nevermind thunderbolt.
DJ Unique 12:15 AM - 17 January, 2017
Quote:
This is a very limiting scenario yes? Is this audio only?

Not limiting at all. At least not on my 2013 MacBook. I still need to do more testing on my 2016 before I use at an event.

Audio & Video files playing on Serato DJ with a Rane 62.
Also outputting video via HDMI
akaTRAP 4:15 AM - 17 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

But it's not really about the specs when it comes to Serato, it's about the operating system.

It's pretty much common knowledge that Serato has always favored the Mac operating system and that has not and probably will not change for a very long time.

Therefore it's far too soon to even pose the question "Has PC's caught up to Mac?" Because the obvious answer is no until Serato significantly steps up its development on PC.

I didn't even need to read the rest of this thread after this comment since, in the terms of Serato, it's completely true. What we're actually talking about here is Serato's optimization on a Mac and a LACK of optimization on a PC.

Other than that, Macs and PCs use the same hardware with different operating systems. Period.
J.J. 5:41 AM - 17 January, 2017
Windows needs countless weekly updates that equates to gigs on your hard drive. No way will I ever recommend this unless you are ready to become a IT technician or use Windows 7. However, wait until Mac updates the Macbook later this year. 32 GIG
DJ Tecniq 7:57 AM - 17 January, 2017
People comparing pc to macs is just crazy to me lol. The most difficult thing about pc's is if you do not know how to optimize or tweak your pc or at least have computers knowledge you're just gonna end up having problems. Macs just work more smoothly. I had a pc before I became a mac user. While they are great you're dealing with a lot of 3 party software and drivers etc... Macs I feel are just more fail safe.
DJ Tecniq 7:58 AM - 17 January, 2017
3rd*
GianniP46 6:40 PM - 17 January, 2017
Macs I guess work better out of the box, but you have to dig under the hood with PCs to optimize them. I am a PC guy because I am blind; the PC screen readers (Jaws) are better then VoiceOver on the mac. I had two HPs that I was using since 2007 with no problems. In 2015, I purchased a new laptop from PC Audio Labs. They are excellent as all of their laptops are set up for audio out of the box. Totally check them out
pcaudiolabs.com

And I am still on windows 7.
dj vernon nyc 6:56 PM - 17 January, 2017
Pc audio labs prices are as high as Mac!
GianniP46 7:06 PM - 17 January, 2017
maybe, but I think you get more for your money. My laptop was $2300, but it came with a 500GB SSD and a 2 tb secondary drive for my music and 16 gigs of ram. In addition, I got a spare charger just in case.
dj vernon nyc 7:30 PM - 17 January, 2017
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ
John Calipari 9:32 PM - 17 January, 2017
Quote:
The most difficult thing about pc's is if you do not know how to optimize or tweak your pc..

there are also levels of Tweaking Windows

Basic levels are disabling unneeded resources like BT, WiFi, and slimming up the start-up programs is one thing, easy to do for the most part. But even then, Windows sometimes goes back and just re-enables services and drivers because . . .

The next level is the VERY complex and sensitive Registry using the window's RegEdit.exe. Have fun and be careful navigating . . .

+HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+HKEY_CURRENT_USER
+HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE
+HKEY_USERS
+HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
popc0rn 9:56 PM - 17 January, 2017
I picked up a mid-range Lenovo convertible as a dedicated Serato computer.. I've had zero issues with it in the hundreds of hours I've used Serato.

Most of these "Windows" issues are user problems. Load a fresh copy of Windows 10 and don't install garbage on it and you'll never have an issue. Sure Windows can be broken if you don't know what you're doing, but if you don't dick around with it, it works just fine.
John Calipari 11:51 PM - 17 January, 2017
Quote:
Load a fresh copy of Windows 10 and don't install garbage on it and you'll never have an issue. Sure Windows can be broken if you don't know what you're doing, but if you don't dick around with it, it works just fine.

I agree with you completely that a Brand New Windows PC install will operate perfectly. One of my gripes is that Brand New install or PC still operates at about 80% of it's potential in regards to performance in the name of being, out of the box, 100% compatible with every x86 combination with minimum spec on Earth.

Yes, it enables only selected services & keys accordingly, but it installs them all, even preloaded versions on factory PC's. It'd run even better if un-needed services, keys, and drivers weren't installed to begin with. I'd rather Windows not install drivers for non-existing hardware and software and old legacy keys than to install it then disable it. Even disabled garbage takes up resources. Not to mention bloatware. However minute, it adds up.
akaTRAP 12:49 AM - 18 January, 2017
Quote:
Windows needs countless weekly updates that equates to gigs on your hard drive. No way will I ever recommend this unless you are ready to become a IT technician or use Windows 7. However, wait until Mac updates the Macbook later this year. 32 GIG

On average, I would have to download 32 updates in order to hit 32GB. That's IF I want to install the update in the first place. AND that's including the optional updates I never install........sooooooooo

Quote:
People comparing pc to macs is just crazy to me lol. The most difficult thing about pc's is if you do not know how to optimize or tweak your pc or at least have computers knowledge you're just gonna end up having problems. Macs just work more smoothly. I had a pc before I became a mac user. While they are great you're dealing with a lot of 3 party software and drivers etc... Macs I feel are just more fail safe.

The word you're looking for is convenience.
deejdave 1:00 AM - 18 January, 2017
Quote:
I didn't even need to read the rest of this thread after this comment since, in the terms of Serato, it's completely true. What we're actually talking about here is Serato's optimization on a Mac and a LACK of optimization on a PC.

In all fairness the Team at Serato uses Mac as well so this kind of comes with the territory. They also do the testing on Mac's and if you test on like 8 macs you are more or less testing on all macs in the world. The few Windows machines they use do not even account for a small percent of possible configurations out in the wild.
Quote:
Other than that, Macs and PCs use the same hardware with different operating systems. Period

SOME Windows laptops use SOME of the same hardware as SOME macs. There are absolutely no standards in regard to Windows setups and configurations while MAcs usually have the same chipset, video cards, processors, RAM and even often times the HDD's/SSD's themselves are the same................... Anyone here want to take a stab at how many configurations (both HW & SW) are possible with Windows? While I prefer them for my everyday machine I do see the degree of difficulty here.
GianniP46 6:29 PM - 19 January, 2017
So why wouldn't Serato try to reach out to one of the PC companies like PC audio Labs and try to come up with a rock solid stable situation??? Again, My Rockbox mc7 laptop from them works great!
pdidy 3:35 AM - 20 January, 2017
Quote:
So why wouldn't Serato try to reach out to one of the PC companies like PC audio Labs and try to come up with a rock solid stable situation??? Again, My Rockbox mc7 laptop from them works great!

who do you think is going to pay millions for that, Serato ? Not gonna happen when a viable solution already exists.

Plus serato already knows any professional dj with a budjet of $1900+ and given the choice between a Rockbox mc7 and a Macbook pro, 99% of us will still by the MBP because its the PROVEN industry standard for nearly a decade with serato.

Professional djs willing to risk their careers on expensive High end windows PC's are quite rare in 2017.
akaTRAP 9:47 PM - 21 January, 2017
Quote:
SOME Windows laptops use SOME of the same hardware as SOME macs. There are absolutely no standards in regard to Windows setups and configurations while MAcs usually have the same chipset, video cards, processors, RAM and even often times the HDD's/SSD's themselves are the same................... Anyone here want to take a stab at how many configurations (both HW & SW) are possible with Windows? While I prefer them for my everyday machine I do see the degree of difficulty here.

A lot, but every high-end PC is going to use an Intel 6700HQ (or whatever the Kaby Lake mobile quad-core i7 is). A lot of them use the same Samsung P951 NVMe storage drive (paying a pretty penny for it, though). But anyway, the point is Macs and PCs get their hardware from virtually the same companies, minus the motherboards since I'm pretty sure Apple sources those from Gigabyte.

PC parts are simply that, PC parts. Putting a 6820HK in a Macbook doesn't magically make that processor better because it's in a Mac.

The funny thing is, Macs are notorious for thermal throttling, though none of that matters in terms of DJ software. If your laptop thermal throttles while using DJ software, it's time for an upgrade lol
DjScandal 9:10 PM - 6 February, 2017
I don't even think the question is Mac vs PC because hardware wise I truly believe you get more bang with your buck with PC.

My new ASUS was total $850 I completed testing it before deciding to keep it with a friends gear that has way more equipment then I do.

The question is Windows vs Mac OX

You can get damn near the same hardware that's in a MBP built from the same manufacturer.
Inside another brand name for a third of the price you just have to deal with a little less stability and longevity. My Lenovo lasted 4 years and aside from not being able to do Serato Video (integrated graphics card). It held up, and $700(total price after taxes) I feel I got more than my moneys worth.
My ASUS is only $850( also after taxes) and has a lot of bells and whistles. I haven't completed testing, but I'm not the least worried about its performance.
There's allot of computer geek type blogs out there that don't have MBP as the best DJ/Producer laptop when your factoring in the price.
With the boom of Gaming of Laptops the gap is closing if its not already closed.
akaTRAP 11:08 PM - 6 February, 2017
The problem is Serato is more optimized for Mac OS than it is for Windows. I honestly wish they would improve on that but I can't imagine on how much that would cost to do.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:39 AM - 7 February, 2017
Serato should consider partnering with a PC brand and make a specific optimized for Serato edition. Eg Dell XPS 15 or Microsoft Surface book.

Not an exclusive to Serato laptop so non djs can still buy the laptop but something like a set up where it asks you to choose how you want to use the laptop and you click for serato and it just configures it for you.

PCs definitely offer more bang for buck. I have a 2 months old XPS 13, after using macs exclusively for 6/7 years. Windows 10 is a serious OS.

I don't intend to DJ with the laptop but so far so good.
DjScandal 5:15 AM - 7 February, 2017
I wonder why Serato wouldn't consider partnering up for a PC edition Serato laptop. I would save my pennies and buy it.
Kind of of like how there used to be that HP, Beats version.
They could have a DJ model and a Producer model. Witch specifications and pre-installed optimizations for the DJ.
akaTRAP 6:41 AM - 7 February, 2017
Quote:
I wonder why Serato wouldn't consider partnering up for a PC edition Serato laptop. I would save my pennies and buy it.
Kind of of like how there used to be that HP, Beats version.
They could have a DJ model and a Producer model. Witch specifications and pre-installed optimizations for the DJ.

The optimization wouldn't exactly come just from the hardware. It would have to come from the software, specifically how Serato Audio Research does their programming within the Windows environment.

Basically, the only way to have Serato optimized for Windows it is for Mac is to either have the programmers learn how to properly do it, or hire programmers that can properly do it. And neither option is cheap.
alec.tron 9:30 AM - 7 February, 2017
Funnily enough mostly everyone else in the audio game (minus Pro Tools, who firmly sits in a similar boat to Serato, although theirs has a lot more holes even...) manages to write functioning software for both OS without favouring one over the other (or less obviously lob-sided, evident by releasing buggy software on one of the platforms...).

Traktor, Ableton, Cubase, Logic (used to... until 5.5.1) all work fine on 2 platforms, Mixxx even adds Linux compatibility as well apparently...
I haven;t tested much cross-OS personally, but am suffering under Seratos' bad practices when it comes to Windows/PCs and am stuck with SSL for the forseeable future...
And in all fairness, NI's Traktor QA/testing has done a horrible job over the last 2 years as well, but at least the bugs were equally distributed over both OSs... :D

So, the thread title should really not be 'Has PC's caught up to Mac?'
but:
'When will Serato devs be able to deliver equally reliable software on both 'supported' Operating Systems...'
just as they claim when including Windows & PCs (minus M$ Surface products, which have officially declared unsupported similarly to AMD processors...) in their product description ?

In Seratos' defense, there is more tech knowledge & best practices to keep in mind with Windows/PCs... but, the debacle with 1.9.1 to 1.9.5 and the slew of issues repoerted on PCs mostly, is worrying.

c.
code7747 11:36 AM - 7 February, 2017
actually, mixxx under linux isnt bad at all. its lacking some features but works just as fine as the other software out there. ive used it for years until i moved to serato, now i have a small partition with *gag* windows just for serato on my razer blade stealth and i have no issues what so ever on this machine, runs absolutely fine. but i could just be the small few with out the hiccups
Prestoe 1:32 PM - 7 February, 2017
Dude Mac only ever had the edge in sales and marketing.
deejdave 2:14 PM - 7 February, 2017
Not 100% sure what was meant there but Mac certainly does not have the edge in sales over Microsoft.
pdidy 5:57 AM - 8 February, 2017
Quote:
Dude Mac only ever had the edge in sales and marketing.

LOL, You must be new here.....www.reactiongifs.com
John Calipari 10:35 PM - 9 February, 2017
Quote:
Not 100% sure what was meant there but Mac certainly does not have the edge in sales over Microsoft.

If the statement is narrowing Microsoft to the sales of Surface vs. Macs, Apple may have it, but no way there are more OSX devices than Windows.

Marketing? How do you quantify that?
deejdave 2:29 AM - 10 February, 2017
Not sure if the Surface even counts in this regard. Not sure how many peeps would be purchasing one for professional purposes.............. I hope not at least.
pdidy 5:17 AM - 10 February, 2017
Quote:
Not sure if the Surface even counts in this regard. Not sure how many peeps would be purchasing one for professional purposes.............. I hope not at least.

Just in case anyone reads this thread, be advised the Surface is NOT an option for djing with serato dj.
support.serato.com
"There is currently a known compatibility issue between the Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Book series computers and Serato DJ. The problem originates from the hardware configuration and symptoms can range from bad or no audio, to connection failure.

Due to this we do not recommend using Microsoft Surface computers for use with Serato DJ, especially in any live or performance scenarios."
deejdave 12:03 PM - 10 February, 2017
True dat. I think the Surface would be comparable to the iPad anyways.
alec.tron 10:35 PM - 10 February, 2017
Serato is the only software dev I know who excludes Surface products.
And the impression a Surface is 'comparable to the iPad anyways' is surprisingly wide spread, yet I do not understand why...

Because it has a touch screen...?
Care to explain why you two would think so ?

Because if we talk tech facts:
iPad - phone OS, mobile processor, custom app/software format, proprietary i/o.
VS
Surface - standard windows10, standard windows OS programs (but Serato by their own choosing...) just like any other PC/desktop/laptop), standard intel processors, standard i/o.
does. not. compute.

Also, be prepared for an onslaught of 2in1 windows devices... CES this year hinted at what's to come... i.e. every laptop producer now reducing their traditional laptop lineup (i.e. a portable PC with a non-touch screen with an attached keyboard) in favour of 2in1s (a windows PC with a touch screen and a detachable keyboard... i.e. a Surface clone...)

c.
deejdave 1:05 AM - 11 February, 2017
Wifi routers have quad core processors. My TV has a Dual Core processor. My TV has storage. These are tech specs. It is all about function for me and I feel like this is adding more "unknown" to an already iffy area with Serato being Windows. As for the 2 in 1 devices they are already here and I mean I suppose these are just even more variables in the already infinite arsenal of Windows products making it that much harder to support............... I would think at least.

Just a POV I suppose and not really meant to be taken too literal.
John Calipari 1:56 AM - 11 February, 2017
One would have to admit it is strange.

The one Windows PC standard that could be used as the Benchmark in which to optimize for the Windows platform like OSX for Apple, would be the Surface Book Pro and Surface Studio.

Hardware specced out and manufactured by the developer of the OS. So everything is in-house, just like Apple. Very capable on paper. The top tier Surface Pro has a Quad Core i7, nVidia dGPU and 16GB DDR. I suppose the one weakness is Windows 10 has to be kept immaculate, almost dedicated, but thats the same with almost any Windows PC used for Real-Time Music Software.

If there would be a Windows Laptop Standard, the Surface Book would be it. It's blowing every other professional PC Laptop Model out of the water as far as sales and MS's annual incremental hardware refreshes would be easy to telegraph for developers, just like Apple's.
alec.tron 4:33 AM - 11 February, 2017
Quote:
One would have to admit it is strange.

The one Windows PC standard that could be used as the Benchmark in which to optimize for the Windows platform like OSX for Apple, would be the Surface Book Pro and Surface Studio.

This!
I've heard the same statement a few times from people - i.e. it's just natural a surface does not run Serato reliably, after all it's more like an iPad - which I simply do not understand.

But, there is something iffy with Surface devices and realtime audio... that I have to admit as a surface pro owner.
But, my hunch points towards underpowered USB bus as well as an overly aggressive power management that's built-in the devices... but, no enthusiasm from MS support on this either... after all, it's specialist / edge cases. Funny though to term their next big OS release 'the creators update' where they obviously do not care about creators at all.

For Serato, based on what I got from Support, the issue, or mix of issues is that there's reports of arbitrary behaviour, Rane (I assume... in support speak it was an undisclosed 3rd party...) which apparently had bad experiences with surface/windows10, and too few users for Serato to care...

c.
Big Pops 3:33 PM - 11 February, 2017
The problem is not the hardware, it's the OS, Mac OS just works better with Audio applications, but I must say that the gap is closing, windows is slowly catching up.
deejdave 3:41 PM - 11 February, 2017
Quote:
But, there is something iffy with Surface devices and realtime audio... that I have to admit as a surface pro owner.
But, my hunch points towards underpowered USB bus as well as an overly aggressive power management that's built-in the devices... but, no enthusiasm from MS support on this either... after all, it's specialist / edge cases. Funny though to term their next big OS release 'the creators update' where they obviously do not care about creators at all.

I remember hearing about this. Hopefully this gets addressed.

You guys make great points though. If they are in fact all in house and such then the path is pretty much set. The ONE thing I would see being an issue is the touch screen. To keep things level (and attractive) for Serato to go in on this would be to disable touch screen features in order for this to be attractive fro Serato to support.
Quote:
The problem is not the hardware, it's the OS, Mac OS just works better with Audio applications, but I must say that the gap is closing, windows is slowly catching up.

Not too sure about this. This applies to Apple Vs. Android mobile apps but in this regard it is simply just Serato . In terms of support yes it is both the infinite HW combinations AND the "all over the pace" OS but when you get it working it works just as well on either (Traktor, Ableton ............... even Djay Pro has gone Windows!!!).
Big Pops 3:48 PM - 11 February, 2017
@deejdave it all has to do with how the OS handles Audio and Mac just has it right in its core Audio application, if you want to touch on iOS that's the same reason why developer stay away from Android, it's the way the OS handles audio.
deejdave 4:10 PM - 11 February, 2017
Quote:
This applies to Apple Vs. Android mobile apps but in this regard it is simply just Serato . In terms of support yes it is both the infinite HW combinations AND the "all over the pace" OS but when you get it working it works just as well on either (Traktor, Ableton ............... even Djay Pro has gone Windows!!!).

I can run VDJ, Traktor & Ableton on a MUCH older PC than Mac. The point here is things are different with Serato. They are not having trouble with sound engines or core audio they just don't build or test on Windows machines. The guys at Serato personally use Mac.
DJ_EQmixxx 7:58 PM - 3 November, 2017
Apple controls music industry and that means Serato is in bed with them PC controls gaming IBM controls retail Dept. It suck but that's the biz side of it and money talk and broke DJs walk thank u serato & apple hope you some day go out of biz