DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Scratch Live on macOS Sierra issue workaround

demen 8:35 PM - 28 December, 2016
Hi all,

I'm a owner of beloved Rane TM57SL mixer and last years I've been running Scratch Live on PC (Windows 7, 8 and 10). Few days ago I bought Macbook Pro with preinstalled macOS Sierra. I didn't know that there will be huge problem with run SL with Rane 57 on it (I didn't noticed before that macOS Sierra is not supported for SL). Fortunately I partially solve that issue but I just want to say it is very unfair by Serato that they abandoned to support their hardware (not software!) because that situation forces me to buy a new hardware to entirely use Serato functionality. When I googled few threads about that issue I red post-advice (probably written by Serato employee) that you should buy a new hardware or downgrade your system...
I bought a new laptop with preinstalled system and I have to buy a new mixer too or downgrade a system. It's not a good approach for customer and for a fan for sure. I'd like to say that is not a problem only with a mac. There's also issue with i5 processors running Windows. Serato knows well that you have to face with problem to run SL on this platform too.

I spent some time to find out what's wrong with my new mac and finally with SL software.

People interested in that subject know that the workaround is to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection designed to protect your mac) but it creates a lack of security in your system. That's why I decided to disable only kext protection. All you have to do is enable SIP and allow installation of unsigned kernel extensions. Below is how to do that.

1. Boot mac from Recovery - restart mac and hold cmd+R until Apple logo appear
2. Run Utility - Terminal
3. Disable SIP by command "csrutil disable"
4. Restart mac - SL with 57 should work properly
5. Boot mac from Recovery again
6. Run Utility - Terminal
7. Enable SIP by command "csrutil enable --without kext"
8. Restart mac and run your SL with 57

More info here
derflounder.wordpress.com

Problem solved partially because my mac is not protected entirely but fortunately Scratch Live with my 57 works like a charm.

Dear Serato team, instead of encouraging me to buy a new mixer please ensure to run my 57 with SL as long as possible. As I know you won't release new version of Scratch Live but after all I hope that a new version with certified kext would solve the problem.

Sincerely yours,
demen
DJMark 8:49 PM - 28 December, 2016
Are you using one of the "Late 2016" MacBook Pros (which would require you to use a different USB adaptor)?

Or are you talking about Sierra running on earlier hardware?
demen 8:51 PM - 28 December, 2016
I'm using Late 2015 MacBook Pro without any adapter.
DJMark 8:54 PM - 28 December, 2016
Ah okay.

What's the longest you've run Scratch Live on that machine at one time?
demen 9:27 PM - 28 December, 2016
I played today about one hour and everything was all right. I'll keep you updated.
DJMark 10:30 PM - 28 December, 2016
I typically run very long tests when I'm setting up a new computer.

Like overnight with both decks playing with autoplay on at high speed (say 300%). Maybe switch to vinyl-control then back to auto-pilot testing...

If it can go 24 hours or more with no issues, I tend to feel more comfortable about reliability when DJ-ing at regular gigs.
Crackpipe 12:52 AM - 29 December, 2016
If you aren't doing mindless clicking and mindlessly entering your admin password, you don't need SIP.

Mac has been relatively secure compared to Windows systems BEFORE El Cappy, so disabling SIP is not a big deal.
tariq_switch 1:43 PM - 29 December, 2016
i've recently bought the new Macbook Pro 2016 w/ Touchbar

Issue is i am using SSL and A SL1 Box ( i know, i'll be updating soon) , however for time being i will use this work around and see if i get any luck.

Will keep you updated.
demen 1:11 AM - 4 February, 2017
After one month of playing I can say there were no problems at all.

I run it on MBP Early 2015 with macOS Sierra.
dj snuu 12:21 AM - 8 March, 2017
I just purchase a new Mac os with operating system of Sierra. I have tried all the suggestions on blogs and still not getting anywhere. :(

I have a TTM57 SL
robobands 1:18 PM - 23 March, 2017
I just bought a new Mac, and I can't get the workarounds to work either. Bummer.
demen 2:05 PM - 23 March, 2017
I did all the steps with Dj Snuu and SL started working well.

Remember to first run SL app then connect a serato to USB port.

What's the result of csrutil status command?
Da Vinci 3:30 PM - 12 June, 2017
Hi. Same here SSL 2.5 and SL1 with Mac os Sierra. Glitches and audio dropouts without warning "red light" don't know what to do. Really hope this workaround will solve the problem cause i don't want to downgrade my system and start all over again lol . THANK U !!!
Baelinio 8:59 PM - 10 September, 2017
Hello Guys, The same problem here. I have a macbook air running on Mavericks quiet a long time and everything was ok... after updating to sierra the problems started with my SL3. even when serato told it was compatible. connecting problems, audio dropouts without warning and massive distortion comes out of nothing... Did everything they said, optimization my mac, shut off wifi and time machine... name it. Still problems and very annoying with gigs coming up!!! anyone who downgraded again to mavericks and could tell me how to do it? my usb buffer is at max (20) when i go lower the warning light for dropout flickers orange or red. overall since Sierra , serato is acting weird,
popnwave 10:15 PM - 11 September, 2017
Google how to make a Mavericks boot USB and it should have instructions on what to do. Youll need to redownload it from the App Store or get your hands on the IMG elsewhere. Then just blow it flat and you'll be back on Mavericks.
Baelinio 7:33 AM - 12 September, 2017
Hello Popnwave, I am not that much of a computer engineer. What I do not understand is that Serato says it is ok to upgrade to Sierra, that it is supported and completly compatible but I have problems since then. Is Downgrading to Mavericks or Yosemite the best solution then? I'm using Serato DJ 1.9.8 as recommended from Serato. Does anyone have similar problems with Sierra like me? I am using Serato DJ in HID mode with 2 CDJ850 + djm700.
popnwave 3:14 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
Hello Popnwave, I am not that much of a computer engineer. What I do not understand is that Serato says it is ok to upgrade to Sierra, that it is supported and completly compatible but I have problems since then. Is Downgrading to Mavericks or Yosemite the best solution then? I'm using Serato DJ 1.9.8 as recommended from Serato. Does anyone have similar problems with Sierra like me? I am using Serato DJ in HID mode with 2 CDJ850 + djm700.

You -can- upgrade to Sierra if you need it. Unless you are running a 2016/17 MacBook Pro though you can stick with Mavericks for now. I am on my 2012 MacBook Pro, because it just works. All of the versions of SDJ work fine on it as well.

And it's not compatibility issues, it is resource issues. I am sure on a NEW 2017 Sierra runs SDJ just fine, but my hardware is 5 years old. I don't need to push it.
Baelinio 6:15 PM - 12 September, 2017
So downgrading could solve my problem?
popnwave 6:39 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
So downgrading could solve my problem?

It might - you'd have to set aside the time to give it a try. It certainly couldn't HURT.
DJ_Austin 7:51 AM - 2 November, 2017
Friends, prompt me how to act. I put Sierra on a separate external hard disk, Serato Scratch Live 2.5 set. Set with an error in the end, but ... The program is started and works. During connection of map of SL1 - it's detected and works. Tested in the flow of hour, as though all be well.
Configuration of macbook mid 2012 Ram 16 gb, i5, ssd 256
Here I think to put or no now instead of Yosemite.
Those, who works with Sl1 in Siera write as works stably? and how many time did you work on such configuration?

Sierra 10.12.6
kevin cordon 10:01 AM - 18 December, 2017
hi,
sorry for my english i m french...
i can t use my serato since i put sierra 10 13 2...
my mac book is to 2012,
i use a rane sixty two and when i connect my table to my mac on serato scratch live, the message stay on "Rane hardware disconnected"
i try to change USB cable,
download the last serato dj, and nothing...
any persons can help me?