Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer s9 mixer vs rane 62

Dj Ricky Redz 5:47 PM - 17 December, 2016
Thinking about getting one of these but havent used any, im familiar with controllers but want to up my game.
I've heard someone say the mic input on the rane is one of the best but how does it compares to the pioneer? (not a big deciding factor)

Just drop some pros n cons plz
DJ Tecniq 6:45 PM - 17 December, 2016
I think mic on the S9 sounds great. I've used a wireless and corded mic no issues it has a bass and highs knob for both also the built in fx work really well as compared to SDJ's fx have a slight delay I don't think it's been fixed yet.
Luca ZFO 3:31 PM - 19 December, 2016
I'd like to tell you only one thing: Rane 62 doesn't work with OS Sierra. Enough?
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:22 PM - 21 December, 2016
Quote:
I'd like to tell you only one thing: Rane 62 doesn't work with OS Sierra. Enough?

mine works with Sierra
Luca ZFO 1:25 PM - 21 December, 2016
Which setup?
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:26 PM - 21 December, 2016
Rane 62, Stanton ST150, 15" MacBook pro mid 14, Serato DJ 1.9.5
Luca ZFO 1:29 PM - 21 December, 2016
Thank you for infos.
hersh20 8:37 PM - 22 December, 2016
having and using both w/mac, and pioneer tt's.
from a build standpoint the Pioneer has a much heavier and tighter feel. i have had a lot of problems with the 62, (mostly the cue buttons breaking). but further than that i feel the Pioneer has a cleaner sound than the rane.

i came to the 62 when it was first released, and am currently on my 2nd one. from the 57 to the 62 it was my feeling that the product quality dropped.

i have been using the pioneer for a month solid and have had zero issues.

the 62 is now a backup.
Dj Ricky Redz 1:33 PM - 31 December, 2016
Based on my extensive research on other forums and speaking to a lot of djs, I've settled on the pioneer s9!
DJ Tecniq 9:13 PM - 1 January, 2017
Quote:
Based on my extensive research on other forums and speaking to a lot of djs, I've settled on the pioneer s9!
Great choice I think you'll be satisfied
938MyDJ 12:04 AM - 2 January, 2017
Happy owner of one here too!
casious 5:11 AM - 6 January, 2017
I currently have both, and I prefer the S9 and will he getting rid of the 62. I say you cant go wrong with either, both legit mixers, solid build quality (edge to 62), good sound output (edge to S9), great faders (edge to S9). Below are the advantages I used to help me decide which to keep.

S9 Advantages:
1. Crossfader contour/feeling adjust...awesome!!!
2a. Pads for cues/sample/etc... much bigger so less chance of hitting wrong buttons
2b. Pads are RGB colored (helps keep me from going back and forth to laptop screen)
2c. Pads again...all 8 for cues, samples, beat jump
3. I prefer loop section layout than on the 62
4. Effects work much better
5. Dedicated mic echo
6. Dedicated sampler volume (I think you can use the aux volume for that on the 62)
7. Additional master output via RCA (I do a lot of mobile so more output capacities for various venues/setups the better)
8. Panel button (quickly switch through Record, Effects, Sampler screens)

62 Advantages:
1. More input options. Line & phono on all 4 inputs (S9 only has 2 phono and 2 line).
2. Split cue
3. Mic line level meter
4. Pan (most useful for me for events where artists have split track CDs, without it I have to disconnect the appropriate left/right RCA cable; also helps just to balance/check sound from each side of the setup)
5. Send return flexfx loop (I don't use but I know some dj's that damn near require this on their mixer)

Building off that last bullet on the 62...the point is it comes down to your style, needs and preferences. For me, despite those useful things I lose from the 62, there are more advantages for me on the S9. Hope this was helpful.
casious 5:22 AM - 6 January, 2017
Holy crap, I forgot the biggest advantage to the 62...you can still use with SSL, which I did for a long time before I moved to SDJ.
SG SOUNDS 12:22 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
I currently have both, and I prefer the S9 and will he getting rid of the 62. I say you cant go wrong with either, both legit mixers, solid build quality (edge to 62), good sound output (edge to S9), great faders (edge to S9). Below are the advantages I used to help me decide which to keep.

S9 Advantages:
2a. Pads for cues/sample/etc... much bigger so less chance of hitting wrong buttons
2b. Pads are RGB colored (helps keep me from going back and forth to laptop screen)
5. Dedicated mic echo
6. Dedicated sampler volume (I think you can use the aux volume for that on the 62)
7. Additional master output via RCA (I do a lot of mobile so more output capacities for various venues/setups the better)

62 Advantages:
1. More input options. Line & phono on all 4 inputs (S9 only has 2 phono and 2 line).
2. Split cue
3. Mic line level meter
4. Pan (most useful for me for events where artists have split track CDs, without it I have to disconnect the appropriate left/right RCA cable; also helps just to balance/check sound from each side of the setup)
5. Send return flexfx loop (I don't use but I know some dj's that damn near require this on their mixer)

Building off that last bullet on the 62...the point is it comes down to your style, needs and preferences. For me, despite those useful things I lose from the 62, there are more advantages for me on the S9. Hope this was helpful.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a s9, got a sweet deal from agiprodj...Does the s9 really have a better sound audio than the 62? My 62 is still in prime condition and i doubt ill sell it when i get the s9, ill still use it for ssl and the bridge..
dj zaza 2:32 PM - 6 January, 2017
I also sold my 62, so the sound is more full-bodied s9, 62 I thought it was always flat. I'm glad of the change, I also sold because they do not know yet until the 62 would be supported.
Chino 2:47 PM - 6 January, 2017
One thing that needs mentioning is that the Rane 62 can be used with SSL AND SDJ. If you plan on using SSL then a 62 would be ideal. Personally, I like having the option of being able to choose which software I want to use. SDJ's stability track record has been unpredictable.
dj zaza 3:22 PM - 6 January, 2017
Of course, I knew I was losing the use of SSL, but I have never encountered problems with SDJ, then I looked to the future support for rekordbox. then the ability to choose what to use.
Dj Ricky Redz 6:40 PM - 6 January, 2017
S9 it is!
I stopped using SSL since Itch and im soley on SDJ
Im looking to focus on turntablism and beat juggling so s9 is better for me in that case.
But then... Better i wait to see what new gear will be released!
Chino 7:06 PM - 6 January, 2017
Yeah, NAMM is around the corner. Since inMusic has purchased Rane and Denon there MAY be a new mixer or two in the works...
casious 8:28 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Personally, I like having the option of being able to choose which software I want to use. SDJ's stability track record has been unpredictable.

Agreed, SDJ doesn't seem to be making much progress on stability. Most stable version for me right now is the 1.9.3 BETA. Rekordbox has made some strides and continues to develop, so that can serve as my second option.
DJ Tecniq 11:20 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

S9 Advantages:
5. Dedicated mic echo

62 Advantages:
2. Split cue
3. Mic line level meter

Just bit the bullet and ordered a s9, got a sweet deal from agiprodj...Does the s9 really have a better sound audio than the 62? My 62 is still in prime condition and i doubt ill sell it when i get the s9, ill still use it for ssl and the bridge..
The S9 sounds very clean but I strongly suggest testing all the outputs my first unit was defective with bad left xlr output and booth. There are bad batches out there. Tes it fully cause my replacement mixer is solid👍🏼
DJ Tecniq 11:22 PM - 6 January, 2017
I order mine from agiprodj as well and they honored my defect right away and contacted Pioneer and sent me a return authorization label and covered my shipping cost. Once the defective unit reached Pioneer agiprodj shipped a brand new one. Great customer service on both parts💯
SG SOUNDS 8:36 PM - 8 January, 2017
Quote:
I order mine from agiprodj as well and they honored my defect right away and contacted Pioneer and sent me a return authorization label and covered my shipping cost. Once the defective unit reached Pioneer agiprodj shipped a brand new one. Great customer service on both parts💯

hope agiprodj don't send me a defective one...suppose to get it wed
DJ Tecniq 11:06 PM - 8 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

It comes from Pioneers factory unfortunately agiprodj won't know if it's defective or not. If you do get one contact agiprodj immediately they will sort it out for you and get a replacement sent.
SG SOUNDS 12:43 AM - 10 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It comes from Pioneers factory unfortunately agiprodj won't know if it's defective or not. If you do get one contact agiprodj immediately they will sort it out for you and get a replacement sent.

yes sir
SG SOUNDS 3:36 PM - 14 January, 2017
well had my s9 going on 3 days now and I must say it's a beautiful mixer...boy does this mixer sound great but the rane 62 sounds a bit warmer especially when using ssl...The layout is so easy and fun to use with the performance pads and the effects switch is god sent..much easier to use that the rane 62 effects...one problem that's driving me crazy is the gain meters, they are not reliable like the rane 62 gain meters...hopefully a firmware update can fix it....
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:24 PM - 14 January, 2017
62 is gathering dust since the day i got the S9. Its a very good mixer.

I dont even bother using Serato internal FX.
DJ Tecniq 7:42 PM - 14 January, 2017
Quote:
but the rane 62 sounds a bit warmer especially when using ssl...
I think that's just SSL alone I think it's always sounded better than SDJ it is more punchy where SDJ is kind of flat. I prefer it like SSL but what can ya do they say it's the same sound quality I don't really think so but to each their own.
Mr. Goodkat 9:31 PM - 14 January, 2017
Quote:
I also sold my 62, so the sound is more full-bodied s9, 62 I thought it was always flat. I'm glad of the change, I also sold because they do not know yet until the 62 would be supported.

i thought the exact opposite going from the s9(with sdj) to the 62(with ssl)

to me the 62 is way rounder and fuller at the bottom end than the s9 which is better than my 900srt and SDJ
dj vernon nyc 12:24 AM - 15 January, 2017
I have both and will keep both!
ParisCreative 11:43 PM - 20 February, 2017
Has the S9 build quality gotten any better like the paint being removed from the faders, some units having noise issues, and the like.
dj vernon nyc 11:51 PM - 20 February, 2017
Yes no fading paint on mine and it sounds great! I think the problem was with serato and firmware update
SG SOUNDS 11:11 PM - 21 February, 2017
How are you s9 users using your gain meters? channel and main meter output...are you guys running it to the last green on the channel meter or 1 red? The s9 meters I just can't get use to it and the gain structure is not reliable like the rane 62 gain and meter lights
dj Krazey leo 11:54 PM - 21 February, 2017
I do one red no distortion at all .
DJ Tecniq 1:31 PM - 22 February, 2017
I keep my trim level at 9-10 o clock. My master volume is usually past 12 o clock so about 2 o clock. I never have a problem with bleeding or redlining now that I've re-analyzed my entire library. Before I still had my SDJ track meters clipping. I use 91db auto gain which seems to be working ok although I think auto gain meter readings are very sensitive imo👌🏼
Dj Ricky Redz 9:19 PM - 23 February, 2017
Quote:
although I think auto gain meter readings are very sensitive imo👌🏼

Seems to be a thing with pioneer Dj gear across the board, you have to get to know your gear!
DJ Tecniq 9:38 PM - 23 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
although I think auto gain meter readings are very sensitive imo👌🏼

Seems to be a thing with pioneer Dj gear across the board, you have to get to know your gear!
not Pioneer gear lol it did the same with my SL3. The Pioneer mixer doesn't have anything to do with the gain meters in SDJ. I am talking about just Serato DJ's track gain meters.
Mister Wilson 1:06 PM - 5 March, 2017
I bought one last week (partially because of this thread) and love it. Couldn't decide between it and a 62 (I'm new to DVS), but I was familiar with the interface since I had a pioneer controller. Since I've had a few days to use it, I haven't felt like I'm losing anything, and really that there's a ton of options and features I haven't touched.
deejayayup 3:04 PM - 5 March, 2017
I just ordered the S9 after over a year of telling myself I couldn't justify the purchase. For me, the DJM-909 is my favourite ever mixer and this is the perfect upgrade. I can't wait for it to arrive!
Mr. Goodkat 2:44 AM - 6 March, 2017
i think its a great mixer to come off a controller. i have noticed it looks awkward when older djs use it and you can tell they are used to really using the pads. looks so awkward.

as much as i like the 62, its really hard to use it on a room eq'ed for pioneer, ive noticed. almost always too much low end - which is good on the right system, but there are so many shit soundsystems that ive played on where the subs struggle.
DjLouie Jr 3:24 AM - 6 March, 2017
I myself like the 62 over the S9 in terms of sound quality & I can Tell you I do a lot of rentals here in NYC & A lot of Dj's prefer to use SSL over SDJ So the 62 have a big advantage there also Some people Don't know this but the 62 also works with Traktor & PC DJ Software, But the S9 is a very nice mixer & those Pads are RGB colored is super hot you can't go wrong with the S9 but i'll stay with my 62
SG SOUNDS 1:12 AM - 18 May, 2017
Been using my s9 ever since I bought it in Jan and my rane 62 been gathering dust...this week however I decided to dust of my old 62 and hook it up on my main system and boy oh boy I almost forgot how good the rane 62 sounds especially with scratch live...The s9 is a dope mixer but it don't sound as warm as the rane 62, if only the 62 had the pads and ease of use of triggering effects like the s9...why why why did rane had to go out of business
ParisCreative 4:33 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
why why why did rane had to go out of business

Indeed. I have been hesitant to get another 62 because of the situation with Rane. So now it's like, new S9? New Reloop RMX-90 when it comes out? Used 62?
Mister Wilson 4:34 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
why why why did rane had to go out of business

Indeed. I have been hesitant to get another 62 because of the situation with Rane. So now it's like, new S9? New Reloop RMX-90 when it comes out? Used 62?

I don't have experience with the others, but I love my S9. Something about it just feels right.

But then again, I also came from pioneer controllers.
ParisCreative 4:38 PM - 7 June, 2017
Yeah it's a challenge for me because I have no respect for Pioneer because they honestly have not been a good steward of DJing like other brands like Rane was. So it's hard to throw down $1600 and be like "I don't care much for the company and there have been quite a few complaints about it".

That being said, the S9 is one sexy mixer. A bit more overkill than I would have liked. I played with one at the AC DJ Expo and it was nice but my time was limited to really get a feel for it.
Chino 6:50 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Yeah it's a challenge for me because I have no respect for Pioneer because they honestly have not been a good steward of DJing like other brands like Rane was. So it's hard to throw down $1600 and be like "I don't care much for the company and there have been quite a few complaints about it".

+1000 I completely agree!!
DJ Tecniq 7:07 PM - 7 June, 2017
Only paid $1400 for mine agiprodj. Never pay full price. They are trying to make that sale regardless so they want your business. I also priced matched too most online stores will.
ParisCreative 7:11 PM - 7 June, 2017
Oh no doubt. Well the MSRP is 1999 and the maturity put them on the shelves at 1600. But a lot of places will negotiate down.
DJ Tecniq 7:37 PM - 7 June, 2017
I'm completely happy with my S9 I did a outside gig (covered) by the way but a rain shower came out of nowhere and the umbrella I was under got drenched and water came pouring down on my S9. The mixer got wet but surprisingly nothing is internally wrong with it and it works perfect still I couldn't believe it. I panicked got a towel and wiped it off as quickly as possible. I'm positive the inside of the faders got wet but I've researched and even the front panel taken apart the faders connections are well protected. And the User mode on the S9 is so sick.
Mr. Goodkat 7:50 PM - 7 June, 2017
dont get a 62 they are losing value daily. i can even sell mine for 1100$ locally. Probably on ebay i might get close to that, but i feel like this mixer is gonna end up selling for less than 1000$
Mr. Goodkat 7:50 PM - 7 June, 2017
i cant even
ParisCreative 7:53 PM - 7 June, 2017
It's possible. The 62 is basically end of life. Rane essentially only exists as a shell. Since there is no confidence in the brand anymore the value will likely go down. There of course is always a possibility that it will rebound, but no one knows the future.
dj vernon nyc 8:04 PM - 7 June, 2017
Guys owning both mixers they are both great mixers! The only thing that I don't like about my S9 that it can't use SL Like the 62! Until SDJ is truly stable I use my 62!