Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Using Flip - not always seamless / cue jumps and small audio (silent) gaps

DJ Chris Beee 11:14 PM - 11 December, 2016
Greetings!

I'm getting perceivable small silent gaps on most flip cue jumps that I create. I've created them with and without quantize and painstakingly taking the time to create variations of jumps. Most of my flips result in about 70% of them having these small silent gaps (about 0.008 seconds); definitely small but noticeable when listening.

I'm a recent convert from Traktor and never had such a problem (had to jump cues 'by hand' but no audio gaps). I have a zoomed in waveform picture from Audacity that shows the silent gap.

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated!

SW: Serato 1.9.1
Gear: MCX8000 w/latest firmware, Win10, Core i7 2.2ghz laptop w/24GB RAM and using all SSDs (boot, source music data and recordings all on separate drives).
The Funk Society 11:16 PM - 11 December, 2016
Are you using Pitch N' Time?

I've found the same problem and upped the USB buffer size seems to help with the problem.
DJ Chris Beee 11:45 PM - 11 December, 2016
Yes using Pitch 'n Time... have fiddled with the buffer dealing with pops before but will fiddle with it and see if I see any improvement on this issue...thanks.
The Funk Society 11:56 AM - 12 December, 2016
I also turned PnT off as well and that "fixed" it, but obviously it's not a great solution.
DJ Chris Beee 3:55 PM - 12 December, 2016
Really? Ugh.. PnT is smoother than stock but if it gets rid of the gaps I'm all for it. Will turn it off and see what happens.
I'm also upgrading to latest Serato version and see if that helps. Will report back shortly.
DJ Chris Beee 5:40 PM - 12 December, 2016
Looks like PnT is the culprit! Turning it off makes it seamless. Adjusting the buffer seems to have some slight effect but I can still detect the gap (sounds like a slight stutter or in other cases a slight pop). Here are my findings:

Serato 1.9.1 with PnT ON; 256 buffer
Audio gap: 0.025 seconds

Serato 1.9.1 with PnT ON; 192 buffer
Audio gap: 0.014 seconds

Serato 1.9.1 with PnT OFF; 128 buffer
Audio gap: NO GAP

Serato 1.9.4 with PnT ON; 128 buffer
Audio gap: 0.008 seconds
Serato 1.9.4 with PnT OFF; 128 buffer
Audio gap: NO GAP

Thanks for your help!! It appears to be a bug so I'm submitting a case for this.
Tim W 12:24 PM - 29 March, 2017
Has this still not been addressed? It's very frustrating and makes the whole process of creating and using flips very unappealing.
DJ Frank Stallone 12:58 PM - 29 March, 2017
Flip is an awesome feature, but it needs 100% reliability. I find some of my older flips don't work properly.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 9:32 PM - 29 March, 2017
Hey guys,

If you haven't already submitted a help request then please do so from the link below.

support.serato.com

I'm able to use Flip and Pitch N Time together fine but have seen cases similar to the ones you're referring to which doesn't seem to have any work around. If our support team can't find a fix it will help us to build a case in regards to getting the bug fixed.

Cheers.
Skalamondre 2:08 AM - 20 November, 2017
I just confirmed PnT was causing the gap for me on my laptop. Actually - it was happening with manual cue points and I decided to try flip since I couldnt seem to get it perfect and it happened just the same. Disabled PnT and it's seamless.
Sergio Comani 1:47 PM - 13 July, 2018
Hi all. Any news on this? I'm using Serato 2.0.3 and the silence gaps appears on some songs unless PnT is unchecked. Cheers, Sergio
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:24 PM - 13 July, 2018
Ive been getting good flips (No audio silence between jumps) by having Quantize Q active when playing back the flips.

I have PNT on all the time. I will try with PNT off, Q off to see if that will be better

Funny enough sometimes even with Q off and PNT on I still get good flips with no audio silence. There is no pattern to this on my side.
Sergio Comani 9:59 PM - 26 July, 2018
Thanks Marv. Have you been able to try out some more cases? Cheers, Sergio
05spoof 9:07 PM - 27 July, 2018
I get the same issues but not consistently. It replicates for me if I’m doing a flip while quantize is on and play the files back without quantize on and vice versa. It also happens if the flip doesn’t land on a certain point on the waveform... for example if flip happens after the midway through a kick, snare, or anything loud. It’s as if Serato will auto compensate to prevent clicks or pops... so the gap happens in those situations as well.
Sergio Comani 12:40 PM - 28 July, 2018
Thanks. No doubt Serato will have to look into this piece of software (PnT), improve it and re launched in next releases.

In my case, disabling PnT improved dramatically. Quantize does not make any change. In my opinion, it really depends on the file (size, wave size, instruments, length, etc)

Thanks all for your answers. Let's wait for Serato's one.
Skalamondre 4:46 AM - 29 July, 2018
This issue has been around a long time though. Doesn’t seem to be on the priority list. Thread started in 2016