Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video recording with mac

djshystr 8:13 AM - 7 December, 2016
I'm having issues recording any video mixes on my mac. I never had this issue until an update that happened a while ago. Not sure which version update from serato. I've been in contact with serato support which the person who has been helping me isn't doing a good job. I have asked him/her numerous times to remotely get on so they can figure it out. His/her response is, I'm too busy, but your not too busy to take my money. I keep getting that error message "more than 5% of the video output frames are missing for the recording. Please lower output/recording quality." I have it set to the lowest and keep getting this message, I can only record for 10 minutes if I'm lucky. then it automatically stops recording.
popnwave 4:15 PM - 7 December, 2016
Only suggestion I have is to use OBS and/or Chew Broadcaster (rebranded OBS) via Chew.tv - that 5% error has dogged people for years and there isn't just one *thing* that causes it. OBS/Chew Broadcast uses little overhead on my mid 2012 Macbook Pro and I use it to stream and record my sets when doing shows. And it's completely free.
djshystr 5:06 PM - 7 December, 2016
I'll give that a try thank you. Not sure what happened but everything was smooth until serato did an update and at the time I never really cared. But now that I want to get into it I can't. Smh. Thanks again
DJ Tecniq 5:47 AM - 8 December, 2016
Believe me we know your frustration that missing frames bug has been an issue ever since serato video got updated if I recall. However syphon recorder is free and can record your set as well. The video recording is the buggiest feature of SV only advice I've heard may help is to try and set your recording path to a diff location. For example try recording the video on a external other than your laptops drive. If you don't have enough disk space this may be your error. As for lowering the quality don't do that the recording will look like shit. Lastly restart your computer and do a test recording again.
djshystr 5:54 AM - 8 December, 2016
I've tried all of that already. I purchased a 4tb external drive and got the same issue. Even after formatting the drive. I was thinking of reformatting my MacBook to see if that helps. But I'm not sure if it would though. Sucks that the help I've been getting from support isn't that great. I answered all of their questions and even done things before they even recommended it. I'm about to go to the Apple Store and install serato on one of their MacBooks and see if I get the same error. If I don't then it's something that I installed that's causing it.
DJ Tecniq 6:09 AM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
I've tried all of that already. I purchased a 4tb external drive and got the same issue. Even after formatting the drive. I was thinking of reformatting my MacBook to see if that helps. But I'm not sure if it would though. Sucks that the help I've been getting from support isn't that great. I answered all of their questions and even done things before they even recommended it. I'm about to go to the Apple Store and install serato on one of their MacBooks and see if I get the same error. If I don't then it's something that I installed that's causing it.
i doubt it's your laptop I've done a factory restore and still got that error it's just the SV program it's buggy which is prob why it's always on sale. They will refuse to tell you it's their software. My other suggestion download an older copy of Sdj and reinstall video.
DJ Tecniq 6:13 AM - 8 December, 2016
And just an FYI serato video is no longer recommended by Serato they have already stated mix emergency is the most reliable and best option for vj services and it can do a hell of a lot more. I'd get a refund and buy mix emergency it blows SV out the water with video recording. SV hasn't been updated in like 10 years it's ancient.
djshystr 6:14 AM - 8 December, 2016
Hmmm. Any links to the older software would be great if you know of any. Thinking about getting the ddj rzx. I see it has the rekordbox video. Not sure how that works.
DJ Tecniq 6:21 AM - 8 December, 2016
Here's the download archive maybe an older version would work good luck serato.com
djshystr 6:28 AM - 8 December, 2016
Which version would you recommend?
DJ Tecniq 7:01 AM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
Which version would you recommend?
check the release notes for every version maybe start off with the last 1.7 version? or try to find Serato video 1.0 instead of the new 1.1 update that may just get your recordings to work.
DJ Tecniq 7:05 AM - 8 December, 2016
Boom! Install the old 1.0 version. Let me know it goes serato.com
djshystr 7:24 AM - 8 December, 2016
Can't catch a break, now it says "not receiving video frames for recording. Try restarting serato dj and/or your computer." which i have already done.
DJ Tecniq 7:28 AM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
Can't catch a break, now it says "not receiving video frames for recording. Try restarting serato dj and/or your computer." which i have already done.
I know man lol we've all gotten that error just search the forum for those exact post lol there's hundreds. An idea that helped was to disable SV then re-enable it also try a "Pram reset" of Mac I hope you fix it thing is it will come around again. The vj software needs to be tweaked and they know this they just refuse to fix it which is prob why it's always on sale like it is now for $99 and it's not even worth $50 bucks lol. They hate when you call out their products but let's be honest it's shit👌🏼
DJ Tecniq 7:32 AM - 8 December, 2016
There's a lot of "politics" on this forum. There's those who are endorsed by Serato and praise the software and call out any user who disagrees. When you call their bluff they'll start attacking you these are called "Serato DJ fanboys" someone's gotta keep it real though. I tell it like it is which is the truth! Again good luck man
djshystr 7:33 AM - 8 December, 2016
haha, that's funny but true. what do you mean about pram reset? sorry, and thanks again for all the help that you are providing me.
DJ Tecniq 7:37 AM - 8 December, 2016
Try it it just might help. Basically it restores configuration and Mac settings get back to their default but don't worry your data is still intact and you won't lose anything.

support.apple.com
DJ Tecniq 7:40 AM - 8 December, 2016
Oh the other bug in SV if you ever get your preview screens blank/disappeared a restart of your Mac should fix it. SV for some reason will randomly not show your video preview screens it may take 1 or a few restarts to make them appear again. Don't ask why but it works everytime for me. The Serato team has no idea why this even occurs as no explanation was ever stated.
djshystr 7:41 AM - 8 December, 2016
oh ok, thanks one more question, in sv do you have both the debug checked or unchecked?
DJ Tecniq 7:44 AM - 8 December, 2016
No debug is not checked. Curious what's your laptop specs? SV works best and more smoothly with a 15" MacBook Pro which has a dedicated graphics card (high performance)
DJ Tecniq 7:50 AM - 8 December, 2016
Here's a screenshot of my settings and what's working for me. Keep in mind I also run a 15" mid 2014 MBP w16 gigs ram and dedicated graphics (NVIDEA card) it's a beast of a machine so your results and performance may differ from mine

Screenshot: www.dropbox.com
DJ Tecniq 7:51 AM - 8 December, 2016
Lastly if you have no luck just check out syphon recorder for recording your video set here's a tutorial youtu.be
DJ Tecniq 8:03 AM - 8 December, 2016
Some other helpful info is to update any OS updates that are needed not positive it will help but what do you have to lose? Eventually I was able to record a good 30 min set using SV. Didn't really do anything different it just worked. Like I said it may work one day and record fine the next you'll have headache lol it's SDJ it can be very unpredictable at times.
djshystr 8:06 AM - 8 December, 2016
lol, very true, I'm trying out syphon right now. recording video and see how long it goes. thanks again, i really do appreciate all the help.
DJ Tecniq 8:19 AM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
lol, very true, I'm trying out syphon right now. recording video and see how long it goes. thanks again, i really do appreciate all the help.
no prob
djshystr 8:20 AM - 8 December, 2016
so far so good with syphon, still recording forgot how long its been already. lol.
DJ Tecniq 6:19 PM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
so far so good with syphon, still recording forgot how long its been already. lol.
Syphon is awesome and uses very little cpu. Good to hear just make sure you change the settings to get the best HD quality which is mentioned in the tutorial.
djshystr 6:41 PM - 9 December, 2016
I'll really mess around with it tonight actually or this wknd. Depending how I'm feeling from work. I'll post a link to my YouTube afterwards.
DJ Tecniq 9:15 PM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
I'll really mess around with it tonight actually or this wknd. Depending how I'm feeling from work. I'll post a link to my YouTube afterwards.
youtube will more than likely block the video mix for copyright issues. try www.vimeo.com