Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

A LOT of my songs have the wrong tempo.

Joe Pro. not 6:43 AM - 4 December, 2016
I'm sure this is probably old news... I have already tried all the different tempo ranges, no tempo range etc. What's it gonna take for me to fix all these tracks with the wrong tempo? Has anyone figure out a way to correct this issue yet?
popnwave 7:02 AM - 4 December, 2016
Fix them by hand.. we all do it on the 1/2 beat stuff.
mixgoonie 4:24 PM - 4 December, 2016
Yes, i've had to do the same. You can easily check the first 30 beats even during a live gig.
DJ Tecniq 12:18 AM - 5 December, 2016
Join the club some of my 70-140 bpm songs are getting tagged at 93 bpm and I have no friggin clue why except #fixsdj
DJ Nin 3:06 AM - 6 December, 2016
^ Same here.

I've got songs that are 120+ being tagged in the 90s
DJ Barticus 3:18 AM - 6 December, 2016
a few songs with a heavy swing seem to throw odf the auto BPM
Disclosure - Latch
Ludacris - What's Your Fantasy

both come to mind, sometimes i rescan my full library, than gotta manually fix a few. it would be nice to "lock" a few BPMs so they never change tempo even if re-scanned.
DJ Tecniq 5:23 AM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
Disclosure - Latch
Ludacris - What's Your Fantasy

both come to mind, sometimes i rescan my full library, than gotta manually fix a few. it would be nice to "lock" a few BPMs so they never change tempo even if re-scanned.
ya know I totally forgot about locking files cause that's a great way to lock the bpm correctly but who the hell wants to do that for the very "problem" file i swear I have never had these problems with scratchlive as much as I'm getting used to the bugs I really hate the program.
DJ Tecniq 5:24 AM - 8 December, 2016
Very = every (get a fucking edit button already)😬 Sincerely every forum member*
popnwave 5:09 PM - 8 December, 2016
Uh I had the same bpm issues in SSL until I stopped using it. No software out there will nail the BPM correctly all the time with auto detection, especially if you have a robust selection of genres.
DJ Nin 5:32 PM - 8 December, 2016
^ Right, and I get that.

But it seems the BPM detection has gotten worse in the most recent versions of SDJ. I reanalyzed all my files recently and songs that were previously tagged correctly are now all messed up.
DJ Tecniq 5:41 PM - 8 December, 2016
Quote:
^ Right, and I get that.

But it seems the BPM detection has gotten worse in the most recent versions of SDJ. I reanalyzed all my files recently and songs that were previously tagged correctly are now all messed up.
Same I think pretty much any 1.9 version tags bpm incorrectly. I remember before I never had this problem. I play songs that I know are 70/140 bpm that are tagged 93😁 If I loop it sounds like a train wreck I still blame the software I just have to make a visual note...ok looping a song that's originally 70 or 140 bpm but tagged 93 will sound like shit! #fixsdj
popnwave 7:29 PM - 8 December, 2016
There are songs that throw both SDJ and Mixed In Key (which I do like for the 'energy' labeling and default camelot key tagging) for a loop.

I hate to say it but you guys this is like a 1% problem. You have to decide what is more work:

1. fixing the stray erroneous bpms OR
2. keeping your genres and bpms in one of the tighter ranges (I use None, but the 58-115, 68-135, etc might help), which still doesn't guarantee it to be mistake free.

Maintaining your library is a never ending effort and with auto bpm detection and now key detection making life easier it's easy to bitch about it. If there's a client that is better at it, use it, and update your tags. Then, unless it's the end of the world, there's no reason to reanalyze anything other than new editions or files you might have edited in your library.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 12:28 AM - 9 December, 2016
SDJ generally has problems getting the right BPM's with Salsa music in my experiences
swellco 1:22 AM - 9 December, 2016
Lol. I dont think Serato can beatmap a true salsa clave.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 1:27 AM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
Lol. I dont think Serato can beatmap a true salsa clave.
LOL
swellco 1:29 AM - 9 December, 2016
Serato sucks nowadays. I do way better just beatsyncing by ear. My tracktor dj on my iphone detects better than serato dj. Maybe Im not keen on using the sync button, but when mixing old classic disco/house/electro from the 80's, Serato Dj is worthless. Takes longer to map the BPM correctly than I can beatmatch by ear. I dont know why Serato is dropping the ball. Kind of like the Iphone. Degrading instead of innovating.
Logisticalstyles 1:41 AM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
Disclosure - Latch

That catches me off guard every time I'm trying to find a quick song to throw in.
swellco 1:59 AM - 9 December, 2016
Damn. Im too old school. Seems like a lot of work just to spin records. The softwware should make my mixing easier instead of spending hours getting everything in sync.
I do enjoy the harmonic labels as it does mixing songs more pleasurable as opposed to just going by ear on vinyl. That being said, Im a true vinlyst and always turn the screen off when playing as to not have any distractions. No looping, no samples, nothing. Just as it was and is when spinning vinyl.
That being said if Serato would work properly then I can loop and be more creative doing live remixes.
Seems Serato works best on new 4 on the floor music.
Try "Love Come Down" 12" mix by Evelyn Champagne King and tell me what you got.
popnwave 3:53 PM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
Damn. Im too old school. Seems like a lot of work just to spin records. The softwware should make my mixing easier instead of spending hours getting everything in sync.
I do enjoy the harmonic labels as it does mixing songs more pleasurable as opposed to just going by ear on vinyl. That being said, Im a true vinlyst and always turn the screen off when playing as to not have any distractions. No looping, no samples, nothing. Just as it was and is when spinning vinyl.
That being said if Serato would work properly then I can loop and be more creative doing live remixes.
Seems Serato works best on new 4 on the floor music.
Try "Love Come Down" 12" mix by Evelyn Champagne King and tell me what you got.

Dude, you're overthinking it. BPM is and always will be one tool to help in track selection. As well all know, if your keys clash even 2 similar BPM songs will sound like ass together whether you mix by ear, visually, or but using cruise control (aka SYNC). I am not sure how many times I had records labeled by MULTIPLE BPMs especially in new wave genre (Blondie's "Heart of Glass" used to throw some folks because of it's non 4/4 structure) for tempo changes, breakdowns, and more. Hell, even non quantized funk/rock tracks with live drums are often all over the place with the tempo. Some genres don't lend themselves to an computer figuring it out -yet-, I am sure you guys still get by and just freaking set the tempo yourself in the mean time.
casious 2:43 PM - 12 December, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Join the club some of my 70-140 bpm songs are getting tagged at 93 bpm and I have no friggin clue why except #fixsdj

I've got songs that are 120+ being tagged in the 90s

Both of these...SO ANNOYING!!

I mostly encounter this with my soca tracks, but recently it's been popping up with some mainstream tracks as well. I never had this issue with SSL, I had soca tracks that were once analyzed with the proper BPM in SSL @ say 120, then analyzed in SDJ @ 98 or somewhere in the 90s. I even opened a ticket and sent in sample files to Serato and never got an answer.