DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Prom & Winter Ball DJ. Should I rent a lighting system?

B_Leo250 6:03 PM - 23 November, 2016
I am booked to spin my old high school's Winter Ball in January and Prom later. When I look back to my senior prom (7 years ago) I can't even remember what type of lights the DJ had. I just remember lights and smoke. I worked their Homecoming dance in October with just 2 Par lights and 2 mini disco ball LED lights and it was yankin (Bay slang).

I have my own set of 7x Par lights now with a few DMX cables and two basic smoke machines. I could buy light stands with truss from GC without breaking the bank, and was looking into buying a pair of better smoke machines.

Truss www.guitarcenter.com
Smoke+Light www.guitarcenter.com

Should I look into renting a truss system w/ lights and smoke machines or will what I have w/ purchasing my own truss and new smoke machines be enough?

What do most prom DJ's do? I'm looking to take over all high schools in the Bay Area!
DJ Reflex 6:21 PM - 23 November, 2016
For a prom, I'd rent a few moving heads or at least a ton of up-lights. I don't have a powerhouse light system by any means, but I do put together a "big looking show" with what I got. Trussing looks great, but can get real extensive. 2-6 T-Bar tripods chocked with Par cans or something as simple as Mini Kintas might work... but the key is symmetry! Make sure your lights are spaced evenly and all working together. Nothing worse than an odd light over here and some other light over there all going crazy in "sound mode" the whole night.

If you're looking to take over all the high schools in your area, then yes, you'll need a big light system!
DJ Reflex 6:24 PM - 23 November, 2016
As far as fog is concerned...

I'd go with a professional hazer like Le Maitre MVS or Eco Hazer. I've used all sorts of foggers and hazers and this brand beats them all.
Also, you might like the Chauvet Geysers or the ADJ Fury Jetts. I have two Fury Jetts and they are awesome! Some real punch to your light show. BTW, use Froggy Fluid fog juice, not that crap Guitar Center sells.
Rebelguy 12:24 AM - 24 November, 2016
Does what you are charging make financial sense to bring a big light show?

Does the venue where the event is allow fog or haze machines?
B_Leo250 6:28 AM - 25 November, 2016
Quote:
For a prom, I'd rent a few moving heads or at least a ton of up-lights. I don't have a powerhouse light system by any means, but I do put together a "big looking show" with what I got. Trussing looks great, but can get real extensive. 2-6 T-Bar tripods chocked with Par cans or something as simple as Mini Kintas might work... but the key is symmetry! Make sure your lights are spaced evenly and all working together. Nothing worse than an odd light over here and some other light over there all going crazy in "sound mode" the whole night.

If you're looking to take over all the high schools in your area, then yes, you'll need a big light system!

If I don't have to rent anything I'd rather not. Those Mini Kintas look great, I'm sure those along with a pair of Chauvet Geysers would look massive. I am going to ask to the school what type of set up their previous DJ had to see what is expected lol. I charge the school $100 for every hour I'm playing music, I feel like if I get the smoke or haze plus T-bars with lights I may need to up that price. Btw I'm in the Bay Area, California!

Appreciate the input.
B_Leo250 6:50 AM - 25 November, 2016
Quote:
Does what you are charging make financial sense to bring a big light show?

Does the venue where the event is allow fog or haze machines?

That is a great question, I charge them $100 per hour I spin music, I don't believe I'm paid enough to be renting lights and haze systems. But how much would you expect to be paid at a high school Prom??

I am not sure if the venue would allow fog or haze, I will look into that.
Rebelguy 10:08 AM - 25 November, 2016
Your charging $100 an hour to DJ along with providing equipment?

My prom rates start at $1000.
DJ Reflex 12:27 AM - 26 November, 2016
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be taking over all the school dances at $100 an hour. Like Rebelguy says, good high school DJ's are going to start at $1000 or more. You can easily get this $, but you'll have to have a slammin' sound & lighting system to start.

It's OK to start small (and lower priced), but go for smaller schools and middle school dances. Trust me, I'm a middle school teacher, you can get $200-$300 easily for a couple hours. You'll get plenty of exposure, practice, and insight on how to run a prom with over 800 kids!

I do small school gigs all the time and have a blast! The kids are great and any flashy lights you have will impress them (for the most part). Look for any PBIS dances and talk with the teachers who organize these events. You'll get gigs.

Check out what school dances look like in my area: Watchwww.youtube.com
B_Leo250 7:51 PM - 29 November, 2016
Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be taking over all the school dances at $100 an hour. Like Rebelguy says, good high school DJ's are going to start at $1000 or more. You can easily get this $, but you'll have to have a slammin' sound & lighting system to start.

It's OK to start small (and lower priced), but go for smaller schools and middle school dances. Trust me, I'm a middle school teacher, you can get $200-$300 easily for a couple hours. You'll get plenty of exposure, practice, and insight on how to run a prom with over 800 kids!

I do small school gigs all the time and have a blast! The kids are great and any flashy lights you have will impress them (for the most part). Look for any PBIS dances and talk with the teachers who organize these events. You'll get gigs.

I am starting small. My plan was to use my old High School as a start, and work my way into other schools. The school only houses about 400 kids (SMALL!), the Junior and Senior together don't combine to anything close to 800 kids. The prior middle school dances i worked were in a different city and I am trying to work my way into the schools in my area now. I hope to use photos, videos, and positive referrals to build a website that I can present to new schools.

Q: What would be the best way to present/pitch myself to a new school I have no prior affiliation with?
DJ Reflex 1:11 AM - 30 November, 2016
Rule #1: Be nice and professional. If you're going to meet someone at the school, dress up - look sharp. Do more listening than talking.

Rule #2: Use the mail. I send out over 65 flyers a year to every high school within 100 miles. (You can do a quick Google search for high schools in your area. You'll get addresses pretty easily from the school's websites.) Yeah, postage can add up, but the payoff can be huge. I've booked dozens of school dances simply by mailing out a post card or flyer.

Rule #3: Go old school with technology. If you want people to view your work, give them a CD or DVD, not a website! You can tell people all day about your Facebook page or Soundcloud account and they won't ever visit it, but if you give them something tangible, they can't wait to see and hear what's on it. But again, cost can be an issue here.

Rule #4: Find out why the last dance(s) went wrong. I hear the same story over and over... "We hired a cheap DJ guy from Craigslist who didn't have the right music, lights, sound equipment, blah blah blah..." Tell them that you charge a bit more because you are professional and can ensure that the kids will have a good time AND that you'll make more of a profit when the kids want to come back for the next dance.

Rule #5: Only play clean edits. YOU are in control of the music and atmosphere, not the kids! The kids will rotate through every year. It's the staff who hire you. You'll survive a couple kids pissing and moaning because you didn't play their favorite Fetty Wap song off the request list more than you'll survive a ticked off principal who was offended by your music selection. In 4 years, those kids won't be at the school anymore, but you'll still get hired by the same teacher if you show professionalism and discretion in your music. Be up to date with the latest tracks, but be conscious of the limits of good taste.

Rule #6: Flex yo' skills! Be a DJ, not just a jukebox. They hired you to tear it up and get the party going... so scratch, mix, cut, whatever you're good at to show that you're better than the average DJ guy with an iPod and Spotify.

Last one.
Rule #7: Use professional equipment. All your skills and music selection in the world is worthless if your speakers crap out in the middle of your set. (Unless you're good at making balloon animals.) Buy good stuff and you'll never regret it. Make the sound loud, clear, and punchy. Make the lights bright, electric, and mesmerizing. Take school dances to the next level.

Hope this helps. I got over 20 years of experience in school dances. I'm not the best by any means, but in my price range I deliver quite a show and frequently get hired back year after year.
DJ_Mav 1:15 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Rule #1: Be nice and professional. If you're going to meet someone at the school, dress up - look sharp. Do more listening than talking.

Rule #2: Use the mail. I send out over 65 flyers a year to every high school within 100 miles. (You can do a quick Google search for high schools in your area. You'll get addresses pretty easily from the school's websites.) Yeah, postage can add up, but the payoff can be huge. I've booked dozens of school dances simply by mailing out a post card or flyer.

Rule #3: Go old school with technology. If you want people to view your work, give them a CD or DVD, not a website! You can tell people all day about your Facebook page or Soundcloud account and they won't ever visit it, but if you give them something tangible, they can't wait to see and hear what's on it. But again, cost can be an issue here.

Rule #4: Find out why the last dance(s) went wrong. I hear the same story over and over... "We hired a cheap DJ guy from Craigslist who didn't have the right music, lights, sound equipment, blah blah blah..." Tell them that you charge a bit more because you are professional and can ensure that the kids will have a good time AND that you'll make more of a profit when the kids want to come back for the next dance.

Rule #5: Only play clean edits. YOU are in control of the music and atmosphere, not the kids! The kids will rotate through every year. It's the staff who hire you. You'll survive a couple kids pissing and moaning because you didn't play their favorite Fetty Wap song off the request list more than you'll survive a ticked off principal who was offended by your music selection. In 4 years, those kids won't be at the school anymore, but you'll still get hired by the same teacher if you show professionalism and discretion in your music. Be up to date with the latest tracks, but be conscious of the limits of good taste.

Rule #6: Flex yo' skills! Be a DJ, not just a jukebox. They hired you to tear it up and get the party going... so scratch, mix, cut, whatever you're good at to show that you're better than the average DJ guy with an iPod and Spotify.

Last one.
Rule #7: Use professional equipment. All your skills and music selection in the world is worthless if your speakers crap out in the middle of your set. (Unless you're good at making balloon animals.) Buy good stuff and you'll never regret it. Make the sound loud, clear, and punchy. Make the lights bright, electric, and mesmerizing. Take school dances to the next level.

Hope this helps. I got over 20 years of experience in school dances. I'm not the best by any means, but in my price range I deliver quite a show and frequently get hired back year after year.

Some great info here. I have been doing school dances for the past 2 years now and have been wanting to get into expanding to more school.(Currently working with 2 schools) When do you usually send out the flyers and what do you put on them? I love doing school dances because they pay very well, kids are nearly guaranteed to dance, and no where near the stress of a wedding.
Just1Fixxx 7:48 PM - 30 November, 2016
That was a very good read, Reflex!
Dj Wunder 10:51 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
That was a very good read, Reflex!

Should be a sticky
DJ Reflex 3:11 AM - 1 December, 2016
Thanks guys. Just trying to help out. Landing school dances can be tricky sometimes - this is just some stuff that I've learned along the way.

Send out your flyers for the next school year about now or right after Christmas break. I wouldn't expect to book too many proms for 2016 yet (maybe one or two), but get on the stick now for 2017.
DJ Reflex 3:14 AM - 1 December, 2016
For high schools, address your flyers/DVDs/ postcards directly to the Prom Advisor or Homecoming Committee. You can call the schools too to get the name of the person in charge if you like. For Middle Schools... shoot for the PBIS team or Student Council. This is usually the "fun committee" in charge of the dances.
DJ Reflex 3:35 AM - 6 December, 2016
Here's a homecoming dance I did back in Sept. Biggest gig I've done so far, and I'm still working on the rig. It took all day to set up. I have a few more large shows coming up too and want to up my game a bit.
Just a promo vid...
Watchwww.youtube.com
Just1Fixxx 1:07 PM - 6 December, 2016
HaHa, what was the TP thing? That looked pretty cool.
DJ Reflex 12:38 AM - 7 December, 2016
Leaf blower and a paint roller~ Hehe
Just1Fixxx 10:41 PM - 7 December, 2016
Nice!
B_Leo250 5:52 AM - 21 August, 2017
Quote:
Eco Hazer

A year later and I'm just now seeing your tip about PBIS. I'm going to contact them asap.
B_Leo250 5:53 AM - 21 August, 2017
Quote:

A year later and I'm just now seeing your tip about PBIS. I'm going to contact them asap.