Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Scratchlive Video Issue

djal305 3:31 AM - 22 November, 2016
Hello guys, im having an issue with serato scratch live, maybe someone has gone through this and can help me out with a solution, my scratchlive version is the 2.5, i believe is the latest since they don't have any more updates, Im using a 2010 MacBook Pro

I've been using scratch live for over 6, 7 years using regular mp3s and always runs great, but recently i started mixing with videos and lately scratchlive is crashing a lot, gives me an error window saying ScratchLive quit Unexpectedly. very embarrassing to have this happen in the middle of your peak time at a club,

I play my files from an external 2Tb hard drive, fairly new, my MackBook Pro has the regular 8Gb of memory, I kinda think its either a corrupted file issue, or not enough memory on my Mac, if anyone has had this problem please let me know what did you do to fix the issue, Thanks to all in advance. Hope anyone can help out.
DJ Tecniq 4:20 AM - 22 November, 2016
Sounds like corrupt files esp if your video files are not encoded properly can cause these issues. What are the specs of the laptop? And which version of SSL are you using?
djal305 4:45 AM - 22 November, 2016
Thanks for the reply, I had a similar problem last year when and I did had a corrupted video that corrupted half of my video library, I ended up deleting them and redowloading them again, also bought a new hard drive which is the same I'm having the problems now, it worked fine for a while, now I've added more videos to my library and it started acting up, u mentioned encoding, what's that ? I don't think I've ever done that with my videos before, how can I find out if I have a corrupted file ? I have 700 videos so far, I'm running my Mac with 8gb memory and it currently has about 8 gigs free left in my hard drive, this is only happening when I use the videos, about 2 times during the night, thanks again DJ Techniq
popnwave 4:47 AM - 22 November, 2016
Ok here's my suggestion:

1. leave the video plug in OFF, play the same video files (they can be used as audio mp4s) in a test set at home/studio. Does it crash? If YES then the files are corrupted.

2. with the video plug in ON, if you had videos that did crash during a gig, can you recreate it at home/studio? If NO then there's something going on with the system vs just the video plug in.
DJ Tecniq 5:51 AM - 22 November, 2016
Quote:
about 8 gigs free left in my hard drive, this is only happening when I use the videos, about 2 times during the night, thanks again DJ Techniq
Serato requires at least 10 gigs free on your hard drive. I recommend deleting or backing up data to S another drive to free some space. I have noticed if you're running low on disk space in your hard drive Serato can have memory issues so with the library. Serato needs a certain amount of memory/data to function normal and if you are limited disk space this could interfere. Try having at least 20-50 gigs free space on your drive. As for corrupt files search all your video files and drop them in the "all videos" section from there hover over the icon column and if there are any videos with a "lightning bolt" they are corrupted and either need to be removed or fixed sometimes putting them in handbrake can fix them. As for properly encoded video files that all depends on where you are getting your videos from if they aren't from legit video pools or services they may be encoded improperly and cause playback issues. Check for any and all corrupt files including audio.
djal305 1:52 PM - 22 November, 2016
Thanks popnwave, I'm actually testing it out like that now, I'm gonna try both ways and see what happens, been using the videos on mode and so far been about 1 hour and nothing yet, frozed up a couple of times but kept running, I'm also gonna try what DJ Techniq said, I'm gonna free more space on my Mac to have more memory.

DJ Techniq, I get my videos from record pools, but I've gotten a few special requests that I've had to get them from YouTube, that's what's scaring me, I'm gonna free up more space in my Mac as u said, which I've ran serato from time to time with only 1gig free and never had an issue, mixing MP3s of course, but I know video files consume a lot of memory, I'm actually considering installing a 1tb drive in my Mac and use the videos from my Mac then instead of the external drive, I never liked or trusted the external drives, but I'll let u guys know how I'm doing with the solutions u guys are giving me, super appreciated for the help guys
popnwave 3:49 PM - 22 November, 2016
If you are still getting freezes, as Tecniq mentioned you might want to clear some space.. if you have a back up drive of your library, trim down some of the music/video you haven't played in the past 6-12 months and give that drive a little more breathing room.