DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

PRX715XLF and EKX-15SP or other light weight sub

godlesshorror 1:13 PM - 23 October, 2016
I do sound at a small venue in Brooklyn (25-100) and we sometimes have dance parties.

I need a sub that has some balls but that I can also throw into a taxi.

These two subs seem relatively competitive.

Turbosound makes a light weight sub but reviews are rare.

Can you folks recommend one of the two or make a recommendation?

Much obliged!
Mr.Jace 2:23 AM - 25 October, 2016
Just keep in mind, when you use these 15 inch light weight affordable subs, you are pretty much paying for the compact design, super light weight and space saver at the expense of low deep bass and some headroom. These subs are not going to pound like an 18 would with the low deepness of sub frequency. With that being said, I can give you my two cents.

I've heard these two subs, I did an A/B comparison with the prx715xlf and ev ekx15sp along with a yorkville ls720p at the music store where I hang out at. I can tell you both the Jbl and Ev were light and easy to move, weight is the same 58 pounds, yorkville at 73 pounds. I can tell you between the 3 subs:

Sound quality : I felt the yorkville ls720p sounded slighly better than ev, and the tone from the ev has my vote over Jbl. (just my opinion)

Deepness : once again yorkville ls720p went the lowest with the Jbl not too far behind while I felt the ev ekx15sp lacked the deep sound but very punchy.

Loudest : ev ekx15sp is the loudest, than the Jbl prx715xlf, and then yorkville which to me fell real short in headroom. Its a shame, I really liked the overall sound of the ls720p, compared to ev and Jbl, the headroom to me comes off as whimpy.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Hanginon 11:10 AM - 25 October, 2016
It's the Laws Of Physics. You can have only two of these choices - Loud, Low, Small.

All three are small. Sounds like (literally) EV chose Loud and Small, the Yorkville was Low and Small, and the JBL was the best compromise.

The weight difference I believe is due to the EV and JBL having neo magnet woofers, the Yorkville doesn't.

To go loud AND low, you need large. There is no way around it.
godlesshorror 12:16 PM - 25 October, 2016
Thanks for the breakdown. Very helpful. 👍🏻

I just came acros the RCF 702-AS II and it weighs 38 pounds.

Will this sub deliver like the JBL and EV? The specs look nearly the same. RCF seems to be highly regarded here. Perhaps they are able to design something that JBL and EV aren't.

I have a line on one of these RCF subs for $625 delivered and no tax.

I have a Qsc k8 for tops, btw.
Hanginon 2:42 PM - 25 October, 2016
I have no personal experience with the RCF's, but IMHO those (or other high quality 12" subs) would be a good move for you, given you're in Brooklyn, are looking at 25-100 people, and ride the Taxi!

You know, if it works out well, maybe later add another sub. If the K8's are in the QSC tote bag, bringing them and two 38 pound subs on a taxi is not unreasonable. Plus, I frankly like the looks of tops over subs vs tripod's, but, hey, that's just me.

The logical way this would be wired (with one sub) would be controller to sub, sub to K8's, so just make sure whatever sub you get has a good two channel 100 hz selectable crossover in it, OR can feed full range stereo output (seperate L & R) to the K8"s, and run them in sub mode (100 hz lowcut).
Mr.Jace 3:55 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
It's the Laws Of Physics. You can have only two of these choices - Loud, Low, Small.

All three are small. Sounds like (literally) EV chose Loud and Small, the Yorkville was Low and Small, and the JBL was the best compromise.

The weight difference I believe is due to the EV and JBL having neo magnet woofers, the Yorkville doesn't.

To go loud AND low, you need large. There is no way around it.

+1
DTweed 4:14 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
I do sound at a small venue in Brooklyn (25-100) and we sometimes have dance parties.

I need a sub that has some balls but that I can also throw into a taxi.

These two subs seem relatively competitive.

Turbosound makes a light weight sub but reviews are rare.

Can you folks recommend one of the two or make a recommendation?

Much obliged!

What type of music you play? And how big of a space? I have the JBLs so maybe you can demo them to see if they fit your needs or if you should decide on an alternative
godlesshorror 2:20 PM - 26 October, 2016
The music ranges from simply soundscapes, rock, electronic beats and classical.

I work with art installations a lot. But I also do aound for the occasional band that has a synth, drum machine or computer setup.

Rooms are generally a thousand square feet or less.

It's not for outside or a big 20,000 square foot club.
dj_soo 9:27 PM - 28 October, 2016
The Yorkville PS12S are ridiculously small and go pretty loud for the size.

They don't go low, but they go lower than comparable 12" subs (45hz as opposed to 50+ for most small subs).