Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can't find my genre

Dj Stag 11:38 AM - 22 October, 2016
Hi, there! So today i have come here in search of advice on something that has really started to become an issue for me. In fact at this point I'd say this actually has become a severe, internal conflict for myself at times lol. Im talking about genres of course, genres in the sense of what style of music defines me, and what I want to play the most, also what should be played where. I've really been having problems with this, all my friends that also dj all pretty much have a basically 2 or 3 or 4 generes that they constantly spin and they have a style/sound that is there's ya know? Well not this guy lol basically I'm the dj that spins some of everything. I've been playing for almost 3 years now so I'm finally building a name for myself, along with buildng up a pretty decent library, and this struggle of mine just keeps getting worse with time. I can never decide on a genre, i just love all dance music, I'm the guy that starts off the night with deep house than moves into electro house or bass house just to go straight into some Melbourne aussie stuff than decide naww I don't need any of that and go to some dnb or techno than finally maybe end my set with some hard grimy dubstep lol. That's seriously a common thing that happens in my sets. I just feel like my sound is all the sounds haha I have no specific genere I play the most anymore, if it's edm of some kind and 4 on the floor than I'm down. It used to be that i played house, deep house, dnb an dubstep and than as i collected more music my selection just kept growing and growig an now here we are. So all in all I'm just wondering how other djs out there found "there sound" and found the music they feel describes them as a dj if that makes sense? I had this all thought out in my head but I'm pretty stoned and I can't seem to relay everything from my mind to the page the way I want to lol so sorry if this doesn't make much sense.
Tommy Deem 12:54 AM - 23 October, 2016
.... speechless
Dj Stag 6:07 AM - 23 October, 2016
Elaborate.... am I just a dumb ass or what?
popnwave 7:09 PM - 24 October, 2016
Open format?

I mean even producers of Trap, EDM, whatever you want to call it, usually don't just play that format if they DJ live. Unless you are TRYING to pigeonhole your self (TOP 40 DJ STAG) I wouldn't bother with a genre label at all.