DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Experience with the Yamaha DXR 8/ DXS 15

Lakeside DJ Services 6:34 AM - 2 October, 2016
Hey DJ's! I just want to share my experience with my new DXR 8 pair and single DXS 15 sub. First off, I know a lot of people believe that 8" speakers are incapable of handling anything other than back yard parties, and I was starting to buy into that idea. But I took a chance and got the Yamaha DXR 8 top cabs anyway, to go with a DXS 15 Sub, And wow, I'm glad I did! I did a 150+ person wedding easily last night, with the most packed dance floor I've ever had. The sound was almost too loud, I actually had to tone it down a bit after I walked out on the dance floor and realized just how loud it was. I didn't see the limit light the whole night!

Perhaps what surprised me most is that the big 15" sub, which I was afraid would be overkill, couldn't keep up with those tiny 8" top cabs. my sub was limiting, and I honestly wished I had more bass. Most of the people that choose the DXR 8's, get the 12" sub to match, and I was planning to do the same, But after A/Bing the 12 and 15 inch DXS Subs at Sam Ash, I decided a single 12" was too weak for my taste. (And I'm not even THAT much of a bass heavy DJ, I don't do much hip hop). A pair of 12's would probably be fine, but the 15 is WAY LOUDER than the 12".
Although they're advertised as 700 watts continuous, my DXR8's only read 180 watts on my watt meter when cranked up the limit light without the high pass filter engaged, and 150 watts with the HPF set to 120HZ. I cranked up the whole system (With sub) to just under where the limit light starts flashing, and my watt meter was only reading about 550 watts. I imagine you'll only pull an absolute max of about 7 or 800 at the limit, so there should be enough wiggle room to add another sub, some lights, and your mixing setup, all on a 15A breaker.

In conclusion. The DXR 8 and DXS 15 sound great, and play well with each other. I'm actually saving up for another sub to get that extra thump I want.
JDforKing 6:45 PM - 2 October, 2016
i have a similar set up. I use the yamaha dxr8s with an ev ekx15sp. The ekx15sp only weighs 57lbs and sounds great. I use to own a pair of yamaha dxs12 and got rid of them for the ekx15sp. So happy i did that.
Lakeside DJ Services 6:48 PM - 2 October, 2016
I thought
Quote:
i have a similar set up. I use the yamaha dxr8s with an ev ekx15sp. The ekx15sp only weighs 57lbs and sounds great. I use to own a pair of yamaha dxs12 and got rid of them for the ekx15sp. So happy i did that.

I thought about that sub, but I decided not to mix and match brands, not because there's any real down side to mix and matching, I just have OCD, and like everything being the same brand. I'm jealous of the light weight of the EKX sub! The dxs15 is a beast to carry!
JDforKing 6:58 PM - 2 October, 2016
Quote:
I thought
Quote:

I thought about that sub, but I decided not to mix and match brands, not because there's any real down side to mix and matching, I just have OCD, and like everything being the same brand. I'm jealous of the light weight of the EKX sub! The dxs15 is a beast to carry!

The dxs12 was 70lbs and it's a 12. No reason to carry a small sub that's heavy when they're better options that weigh less.
dj_soo 6:46 AM - 5 October, 2016
I use a similar setup as well.

I run a 1-3 Yorkville NX720S 15" subs under my DXR 8s or 10s. Usually reserve the 10s for when I'm using 2+ subs and run my 8s over a single for smaller parties or use them as monitors for bigger ones.

I'm considering upgrading my subs to EKX18SPs just because the 15" subs aren't enough for some of my gigs (even with 3 of them).

I love my DXRs - I ended up selling a pair of QSC K12s to get the DXR8s.

I think they sound fine when paired with subs although I do think the 10s sound a little warmer in the low-mids.
dj_soo 6:47 AM - 5 October, 2016
Quote:

how do you find the single 15 compares to a pair of 12s? is it about on par or is it a little less in terms of bass, but worth it for the lighter load?
JDforKing 10:37 AM - 5 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

how do you find the single 15 compares to a pair of 12s? is it about on par or is it a little less in terms of bass, but worth it for the lighter load?

I personally like the sound of the single elx15sp better than the Yamaha dxs12 coupled.
dj_soo 8:11 AM - 6 October, 2016
how about output?
Taipanic 5:22 PM - 6 October, 2016
Quote:

Although they're advertised as 700 watts continuous, my DXR8's only read 180 watts on my watt meter when cranked up the limit light without the high pass filter engaged, and 150 watts with the HPF set to 120HZ. I cranked up the whole system (With sub) to just under where the limit light starts flashing, and my watt meter was only reading about 550 watts. I imagine you'll only pull an absolute max of about 7 or 800 at the limit, so there should be enough wiggle room to add another sub, some lights, and your mixing setup, all on a 15A breaker.

Sounds about right. Most amps come no where near pulling maximum wattage, even when driven hard. If you did get up anywhere near 7-800 watts, it would probably be in the milliseconds range. Woofer is probably rated in the 2-400 watt capacity range, tweeter, probably 75 watts max. Wattage ratings are pretty much an advertising tool these days. For example, a Powersoft K10 amp at 1/4 power on a 110 circuit is pulling 29.3 amps - Full power would probably take a 50 amp feed!
GNB 7:04 PM - 2 March, 2017
Hello Lakeside DJ Services, I have a Yamaha DXS-15 sub on order and I see that you own and use one. I have never actually heard this sub, DXS-12 or 18. Buying brand new out of the box. I am looking for quality "warm, mellow" low bass, definitely not earth shattering and "boomy" I do not DJ, just want a quality combination of a single DXS-15 with 2 new DBR-12's on stands for a large hobby room. I read a lot of reviews where a sub is judged to be not worth buying without it rattling people. Rap, Hip Hop, Dub Step isn't my thing, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Bros is my style. I will be happy with a full stereo sound, even down to 42hz in Extended Low. Your comments would be appreciated. Cheers ! GNB
Just1Fixxx 8:31 PM - 2 March, 2017
Quote:
Rap, Hip Hop, Dub Step isn't my thing, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Bros is my style. I will be happy with a full stereo sound, even down to 42hz in Extended Low. Your comments would be appreciated. Cheers ! GNB

You will be more than happy with that rig for your needs.
GNB 8:56 PM - 2 March, 2017
Perfect. I have read so many comments, like's and dislikes, boom & chest shaking or don't bother buying because is doesn't go deep enough. Its confusing and depressing. I want to listen to a nice selection of tunes during the day while working or building things in a 900 sq.ft. finished building on my property which also has a music studio. I think I have a made a good choice. Just a bit unsettled, all the equipment coming is out of the box brand spankin new. I am relying on reviews, comments and a few Youtube video's only with headphones on. I am up in Northern Ontario, there no Yamaha Pro PA & Audio retailers here, it has to be ordered. Thank you very much.
Taipanic 9:04 PM - 2 March, 2017
Quote:
Perfect. I have read so many comments, like's and dislikes, boom & chest shaking or don't bother buying because is doesn't go deep enough. Its confusing and depressing.

What would you expect when you come to a DJ software Forum? SMDH...
GNB 9:12 PM - 2 March, 2017
That is true, it is a DJ forum. It has been very informative on a number of things I had questions on and I have my answer. Nuff said by me.
GNB 5:06 PM - 3 March, 2017
Lakeside DJ Services, do you find the weight of the DXS-15 a problem with DJing @ 83 lbs.. I will be doing some gigging with it now and then. I guess that a good utility cart would be smart to move it around to save my back.
Just1Fixxx 5:38 PM - 3 March, 2017
Quote:
I guess that a good utility cart would be smart to move it around to save my back.

www.harborfreight.com

www.amazon.com

Two of the best investments that I have ever made
GNB 5:49 PM - 3 March, 2017
will definitely order a light aluminum cart like the Harborfreight one. Great suggestion. Cheers.
Rebelguy 9:08 PM - 3 March, 2017
Quote:
I use a similar setup as well.

I run a 1-3 Yorkville NX720S 15" subs under my DXR 8s or 10s. Usually reserve the 10s for when I'm using 2+ subs and run my 8s over a single for smaller parties or use them as monitors for bigger ones.

I'm considering upgrading my subs to EKX18SPs just because the 15" subs aren't enough for some of my gigs (even with 3 of them).

I love my DXRs - I ended up selling a pair of QSC K12s to get the DXR8s.

I think they sound fine when paired with subs although I do think the 10s sound a little warmer in the low-mids.

The DXR-10s are pretty amazing little boxes. I currently have six of them in my inventory. I am going to be expanding my Yamaha boxes with four of the DSR112s. I am probably going to be going JBL for subs though. The Yamaha boxes are too heavy.
dj_soo 11:04 PM - 3 March, 2017
I like the whole DXR line. probably the best bang for the buck in terms of performance to cost and you really can't beat the 7 year warranty.

Never tried their subs tho although I want to hear the DXS18.
GNB 6:35 PM - 4 March, 2017
Question: best settings on the DBR-12s & DXS-15 setup for clear & crisp music reproduction only from a Sony MP3 or Sirius Satellite. Not looking for loud or boom, just quality to my ears and covering the music spectrum. Should the speakers be set on either FOH vs Off vs Monitor. Gear will be along 1 end wall of my music studio on tripods, sub in the centre on the floor. Thanks ! hopefully my speakers will be delivered next week.
dj_soo 11:27 PM - 4 March, 2017
Set it to flat. FoH gives it a bit of a smiley face curve which sounds better for a dancefloor, but gives it a bit of a compress-y sound. I'd probably keep the sub set to no processing as well at first. It's not like the music you listed has extensive sub-bass tones and needs to go that low - you just want some punch to your kicks and bass.

Set your crossover to 100hz on both the tops and subs, adjust the levels of your subs and tops to match - you'll probably have to turn down your tops a little for the sub to keep up.
GNB 11:53 PM - 4 March, 2017
Perfect. Thanks for that.
GNB 7:35 PM - 4 April, 2017
Well I have now had my gear for 2 weeks, 2 x DBR 10's on tripods and 1 x DXS-15. Fantastic sound, very clear, lots of volume for my needs, DXS-15 produces very nice low bass at Extended Low, not earth shattering but nice low rumble and very clean & precise. I have had no experience with band-pass speakers and cannot compare the sound to a bass reflect type sub. I am sure there is a difference but for my application in a music studio, the sound is perfect to my ears. I have everything bypassed at 100, the sub at about 1/3rd volume, speakers at unity and FOH. I am a very happy camper with this set up. Cheers ! GNB
DJ.Tyme 8:37 AM - 29 April, 2017
hello my fellow DJ's im glad i came across this thread...cause alot of what some of yall are talking about is what im on the fence about LOL. 1st off im a Yamaha guy!!! right now i have a set of DSR 115's for bigger events & a set of DSR 112's for smaller gigs...

ive been reading & looking at tons of youtube videos and still cant decide :-(
being a solo dj & im tired of lugging heavy stuff around a 18'' sub is out of the question. so it comes down to my DSR 112's up on poles & DXS 12 / DXS15 / Ev Ekx 15sp
my concerns are the 12'' might not be enough bass for when i dj some bigger wedding events in larger halls...the DXS15 is a big box and heavy... the Ev 15sp is nice light & compact but like another dj said i also like to keep everything the same brand name.

plus it seems the DXS15 has better features on it bass boast & LF extend bass so please anybody have any advice,info,suggestions ? thanx all for any help
GNB 1:08 PM - 29 April, 2017
For my application, the DXS-15 is superb but I do not DJ. From what I have read, the DXS-12 is also an A1 sub but better suited by 2 units in a DJ situation. I can assure you that the 15 inch sub is Loud and you can feel the depth of the bass without any problem but it might not do the job if you are looking for that pounding bass for Rap, Deep House, Hip Hop, you would probably need an 18 inch sub for the really earth-rumbling lows that the 18 does well. Further, the DXS-15 is heavy, it is not a light-weight, and a small utility cart would be best to move it around.

Myself, choosing the Yamaha equipment was a no brainer, it produces very clear and precise music to my ears, I am very happy with the DBR-10s but a DJ would probably prefer the DXR line or DSRs for live performance, these are much more powerful. I did a lot of research before buying my Yamaha set-up. I can readily afford the QSC line but I am not in this to make money by Gigging or doing DJ work at the age of 60, I wanted a full system to listen to in a medium sized studio of about 1000 sq.ft. The Yamaha warranty is 7 years, not too many companies will back their products with this kind of confidence. For medium to larger scale gigs, you might be better to look into 18 inch subs or even 2 subs depending on the venue. For more bottom rumble, definitely the 18s. However, I am very pleased with my system and the 15 inch sub does a beautiful job.

It is unfortunate that there are very few Youtube videos on the DXS-15 in a live setting. I bought all of my equipment brand new out of the box, never tried or tested in a music store. I was relying 100% on reviews on the Internet from retailers. Al Poulin has been A1 helping me out with suggestions and will help you out too. I have his email address if you are unsure about Yamaha PA equipment. Another Northern Ontario boy like myself. Cheers !
GNB 1:23 PM - 29 April, 2017
Further, I have my DXS-15 set at Extended Low and you will notice a difference, much deeper bass but not below 40 hz . I will tell you however, that I do listen to jazz and Chillin Out Lounge on my Sirius FM. With Extended Low and the amp only set at 1/3 with maybe 2 on my mixer scale, it rattles my windows in a 1000 sq.ft. building where I work, and you can easily hear the low rumble from this enclosed building outside in my yard and at a distance at this very low setting. If you look at the 1st posting from an actual DJ, he was also very pleased with the DXS-15 with DXR's, but indicated that he might get a 2nd sub for gigs. I think that 2 x 12's on tripods and 2 x 15" subs would be best for mid sized or larger venues in most cases. Good luck ! GNB
JDforKing 2:20 PM - 29 April, 2017
I use a pair Yamaha dxr8s and the ev ekx15sp combo and it works wonders. Nice, compact and not too heavy. I also have a pair of Yamaha dxr15s and I would say depending on the event they are interchangeable.
JDforKing 2:26 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
hello my fellow DJ's im glad i came across this thread...cause alot of what some of yall are talking about is what im on the fence about LOL. 1st off im a Yamaha guy!!! right now i have a set of DSR 115's for bigger events & a set of DSR 112's for smaller gigs...

ive been reading & looking at tons of youtube videos and still cant decide :-(
being a solo dj & im tired of lugging heavy stuff around a 18'' sub is out of the question. so it comes down to my DSR 112's up on poles & DXS 12 / DXS15 / Ev Ekx 15sp
my concerns are the 12'' might not be enough bass for when i dj some bigger wedding events in larger halls...the DXS15 is a big box and heavy... the Ev 15sp is nice light & compact but like another dj said i also like to keep everything the same brand name.

plus it seems the DXS15 has better features on it bass boast & LF extend bass so please anybody have any advice,info,suggestions ? thanx all for any help

The dxs subs are heavy
GNB 3:14 PM - 29 April, 2017
Agreed, the DXS-15 is pretty heavy and built like a tank. Mine is in the corner of my room and will not likely be moved around, you will need a cart for any distances. I have had my sub for a month now and it rocks. For weddings or smaller scale engagements in a confined area, it would probably work just fine, just like indicated by the 1st poster. An auditorium sized venue like a high school gym, however, may need a 2nd sub to fortify the bass, like you often see with professional DJs, 2 x subs and 2 x speakers on poles.

Obviously the size of venue would ultimately determine the size of setup. Perhaps some "Weekend Warrior" DJs could post their thoughts, they are the ones out there working, best to measure from their results and favourites. Personally, I have never tried out QSC, EV or JBL equipment. I relied 100% on reviews, the "Gear Rank" site was also very positive on Yamaha equipment under "Best Powered Subs" and "Best Powered Speakers" based on customer ratings. Also check out "Thomann" for Yamaha DXS-15, you may have to change customer reviews to English transposing, The DXS-15 is also highly rated in Europe by many happy users, weight seemed to an issue with some owners. Alternatively, QSC equipment requires more $$ initially but highly rated, EV is also a good choice with many happy users. GNB
DJ.Tyme 3:14 PM - 29 April, 2017
Thanx GNB & Jd For King :-) for your fast response GNB as i stated in my post 18" iz out of the question. im a mobile wedding dj & sometymes to bigger events. im very limited on space in my blazer & im solo so i lug everything by myself.with that being said i want to pull the trigger (today 4-29-17) :-) on the DXS15 but man ive been out in my garagre sizing up my extra space it it might just not cut it let alone 85 pounds :-( im buying from zzsounds so my choices are limited..thats how i arrived at the EV ekx 15sp its small light & compact. im not going to run 2 subs...im going to have my 12" tops on poles on each side of my table and a sub underneath to fill out the bottom end.. (not blow grandmas wig back with super bass LOL)
thanx guys for your input...i want so bad to stay with all yamahas but the weight and box size :-(
GNB 3:23 PM - 29 April, 2017
You will be just fine with your selection and a happy camper. There is a youtube out there with a fella from the UK running either 2 x DXR-8s or DXR-10s and an EV 12 or 15 sub in a room (you will see a drum set in the background), he was amazed at the performance of the EV sub in a mix sized room. Good luck man, keep rocking. GNB
GNB 4:05 PM - 29 April, 2017
If you are in a large metropolitan city, you also have the option of temporarily renting 18" subs as needed, for the larger events, that way, you are not limited by the scale of the event. Many do this without the large capital outlay needed for large speakers, and perhaps infrequent use. No point in paying big $$ if your prerogative is to stay with small to medium scale events, Just my 2 cents worth this am. (In Canadian money, its even lower than 2 cents abroad, LOL) GNB
DJ.Tyme 4:15 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
If you are in a large metropolitan city, you also have the option of temporarily renting 18" subs as needed, for the larger events, that way, you are not limited by the scale of the event. Many do this without the large capital outlay needed for large speakers, and perhaps infrequent use. No point in paying big $$ if your prerogative is to stay with small to medium scale events, Just my 2 cents worth this am. (In Canadian money, its even lower than 2 cents abroad, LOL) GNB

thanx for the 2cents :-) but like stated in my past posts 18" iz not even being considered!!!! i dont DJ school dances where i need concert bass LOL just looking for a sub that will (go under my DJ table) to fill in the bass along with my two 12'' tops ;-)
GNB 4:54 PM - 29 April, 2017
You will do just fine with the EV under the table and tops. It's a nice system. Enjoy. Like you, I wanted to stay with the same brand, my DBR-10s and DXS-15 produce an excellent sound. I do not DJ, I am just an old fart who loves music and wanted something with more power in a room of about 1000 sq.ft. rather than a conventional stereo system. I do occasionally play keyboards from time to time in a band of mostly seniors like myself, we play benefits to raise money, and small dances of mostly 70's to 90's era, a small group of guys (actually some really talented musicians) playing covers. Its a fun thing, not a grind. I bought my system primarily for a detached hobby room building built behind our main home on Lake Superior (a large Entertainment Room). When I gig, I can cart the DXS-15 to my MDX SUV, lifting would only be in and out of the vehicle and wheeling it elsewhere. Yes it is heavy for an old timer but only occasionally luckily. Good luck DJing buddy. Cheers from way up in Northern Ontario.
JDforKing 5:14 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

thanx for the 2cents :-) but like stated in my past posts 18" iz not even being considered!!!! i dont DJ school dances where i need concert bass LOL just looking for a sub that will (go under my DJ table) to fill in the bass along with my two 12'' tops ;-)

If you're just looking to add bass that will round out your sound the ex ekx15sp is the way to go.
DJ.Tyme 5:31 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you're just looking to add bass that will round out your sound the ex ekx15sp is the way to go.

thank u for your advice :-) reading your post above is what im on the fence about its coming down to a pair of DXS12's or one 15'' i see you said ( I use to own a pair of yamaha dxs12 and got rid of them for the ekx15sp) was it because of the weight ? or better lugging one 15'' vs two 12's ?
GNB 6:12 PM - 29 April, 2017
I believe that Al Poulin, a contributor to this forum, uses the 2x12 Yamaha DXS setup for DJing, He also has a Yorkville 15" LS720p sub too for gigging which he has under the DJ table and this setup works well for him in Banquet room settings or weddings. alpoulin@hotmail.com, he's really good to ask and was very helpful to me along the way with my final choice of my system. By the sounds of things, I do think you will be happy with the EV sub for your particular application. Decision on 2x12" subs vs 1 x 15" is difficult but the Yamaha DXS's frequency goes down to 47 hz, maybe lower with the Extended Low on. From what I have read and reviewed, I think that 2 subs is a more popular and congruent sound setup. GNB
Arthur M 9:42 PM - 19 December, 2017
I would like to know how was the performance about the DXS15, I'm planning to buy 2 of them because 2 DXS18 are too expensive to me. My rig is 2 DXR8 and CVA118, I was planning to get 2 CVX18 and sell the CVA118 but maybe an option get 2 DXS15 and keep the CVA118 for really low Frequencies.

¿What is your opinion about this?
dj_soo 10:01 PM - 19 December, 2017
The DXS15 is meh imo. There are better 15" subs you can get. It's loud for the price, but it doesn't go very low, and is heavier than other options that perform better.

While a lot of people will tell you to steer clear of the Cerwin Vegas due to lack of quality reputation, I just grabbed a single CVX18S and I'm very impressed with the performance and especially the sound quality.
GNB 10:09 PM - 19 December, 2017
I sold the DXS 15 Yamaha and purchased an Electrovoice EKX-18SP, sub, absolutely love it. Nice rich bass. The Yamaha was loud but not much there for low bass. Also, I am replacing my Yamaha DBR-10s for 2 x Live X ELX-112p's from Electrovoice. I was so impressed with the 18 EKX sub, that I want to go all EV with the tops. Got a great deal on the ELX-112p's and they have been ordered with delivery just after Christmas. Hoping everyone on the forum enjoys a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Freezing up here and a ton of snow in Northern Ontario but I guess that's what you get when you live here at the top of Lake Superior. Cheers ! Graydon
Al Poulin 11:13 PM - 21 December, 2017
The ELX-112Ps are ok speakers as well. You will likely find they have a more pronounced midrange vs the DBRs, that are a little more smiley face sounding IMO. I am not surprised you prefer the EKX-18SP vs the Yamaha DXS15. It should be more musical and extend lower too. The DXS subs offer good value for output, and my pair of DXS12s under DXR8s are still my system of choice for weddings, but for a home setup, you'll enjoy the deeper lows of a quality 18 :-) I've not had any wedding where the DXR8s over pair of DXS12s didn't sound anything but great, but I mostly do smaller weddings 100-200 people max, so it is an ideal (and good looking) system for this type of applications. Still love my DXR15s for smaller weddings. Al
GNB 11:59 PM - 21 December, 2017
Hello Al, I changed my order to 2 x ELX 115p rather than ELX 112p. I figured the upgrade to 15” woofer vs 12” was worth the additional expense. Plus I can use the ELX115s for pa with some extra low. I am looking at playing keyboards in a band this spring so the ELX115s can do for live performance. Hope you and your family enjoy a very nice Christmas Al. Graydon
dj_soo 12:16 AM - 22 December, 2017
you're probably better off with the 12" tops. 15" tops are better for standalone and will sound muddier in the low mids when paired with a sub since the larger woofer will be cut off at 100hz regardless and doesn't reproduce those low mids and mids as well as a 12" top.
GNB 12:50 AM - 22 December, 2017
95% of the time they will be for listening to music all day Al and in view of the fact that I am slowly losing my hearing, I doubt that my ears would be able to detect much difference sonically or musically. I am looking for really clear speakers mainly. They will be much better than the Yamaha DBR-10s I expect so I hope to hear an improvement. Unfortunately I am buying again without being able to try them out due to my remote location and a local music shop who does not carry EV speakers. It’s a gamble but from the many reviews on the web about the ELX115p line, most are very good reports from professionals. I still like Yamaha, but I was so pleased with my EKX 18 sub, I decided on the ELX115p to stay with the same manufacturer. Cheers ! Graydon
dj_soo 1:52 AM - 22 December, 2017
just saying if sound quality is your primary concern, you're better off with the 12s over the 15s. My hearing is fucked form decades of djing and I can still hear the improvement of using a 12" or even 10" over a 15" when paired with a sub
GNB 2:16 AM - 22 December, 2017
I always appreciate your years of experience DJing Al and you definitely would know the difference. However, for me the purchase is two fold, primarily for listening but they will also be for pa with a small band from time to time without a sub. I thought that the ELX115 would handle both of my applications well. I should be receiving them next week and take them for a test drive. Being wood cabinets too, they should sound better than the Yamaha 10s. We will see I guess.
dj_soo 8:53 AM - 22 December, 2017
the wood vs plastic cabinets thing is considered to be overstated if not an all-out myth.

it depends more on the design of the speaker and the quality of the parts and manufacturing.
GNB 2:41 PM - 22 December, 2017
Interesting comment. So why do so many reviewers claim that the wood cabinets provide for a “warmer” sound verses a molded cabinet. One reviewer who claimed to be a Sound Engineer states that wood enclosure provided for better resonance vs a plastic cabinet. Bogus ??

This might generate some interesting debate on the forum between plastic vs wood.

Which cabinet produces better overall sound performance forum members.

FAKE NEWS ???
Al Poulin 5:59 PM - 22 December, 2017
These days, the cabinet material makes very little difference to the overall sound of the speaker IMO. A long time ago, when powered plastic cabinets were in their infancy, the plastics / designs were new and as with anything new, little bugs needed to be worked out (cabinet rattling, air / noise etc.). If there were such an advantage sound Wise to wood vs plastic, you can bet manufacturers producing wood cabinets would be boasting about it. I own both wood and plastic cabinets, and there is no way you could identify which sounds like wood or plastic. The internal components and processing (voicing) of a particular speaker have a MUCH greater impact on the overall sound of a given cabinet.
GNB 6:23 PM - 22 December, 2017
Thanks for that Al. Sound is very subjective anyway. Gear Rank stated that the Yamaha DSX15 I purchased had very high marks for sound but in reality this band pass sub really disappointed me. Low bass really not there so I sold it and bought an EV EKX 18 and I love it. I read lots of reviews and YouTube on the EV 115sp tops and most were 4 or 5 stars so most owners are happy with it. Maybe wood vs plastic is not determining factor these days. EV ELX 112p vs 115p, I went with the EV 115p for $200 bucks more. These tops have to have more balls sound wise than my DBR 10s. Merry Christmas everyone. Cheers ! Graydon way up in the Great White North. 🎅
Al Poulin 7:00 PM - 22 December, 2017
Well, comparing a 10" full range cab to a 15" full range cab, no doubt the 15" will have substantially more low output capability when used stand alone. The ELX is also more than twice the weight and size, so certainly not a fair comparison. Comparing a DBR15 to the ELX 115 would be interesting. I'm guessing the ELX would sound clearer in the voice / mid area while the DBR15 would sound sweeter up top and in the lower frequencies. My DBR12 is surprisingly capable in the lower octaves for a compact 12, but seeing as the DBR10 is smaller and seems to have a smaller horn as well, its sound is likely different.

As for my DXR15s, they are simply outstanding overall in terms of sound quality and output, sounding like large / loud home speakers. They are the speakers I use for home listening most of the time and my favorites for small venues, when I don't want or need to bring my subs. As for the DXS15, I've never heard it personally, but have no trouble believing the EKX sounds much better in the deeper frequencies. With all designs, there's always a tradeoff. the bandpass design of the DXS subs provides lots of output at the cost of lower frequency extension. They are also considered a good value sub, so something to take into consideration.

Al
dj_soo 8:54 PM - 22 December, 2017
Keep in mind that most wood tops like the ELX series is using plywood which is mostly glue anyway - which pretty much makes it plastic.
deejayfatcat 10:30 PM - 22 December, 2017
I’ve been following this thread closely. Im in a bit of a dilemma. I have a pair of zlx12p speakers and a passive 15” EV sub powered w a NU1000 amp bridged mono. This rig isn’t the newest or best but really sounds good for most of my gigs.

2-3 times a year, I have a gig where it just isn’t loud enough and I’m watching the limiters all night. Usually when I have a bigger room and a dance floor of 100+.

I thought of upgrading the sub alone and demoed the ekx18sp. I loved it, but think my tops will still limit before I have the volume I need.

Reading all the good info about the dxr line, I though about getting the DXR10 or 8 and either 1 DXS15 or 2 DXS12.

This system is appealing to me as I’m a one man show, I don’t do it full time (usually 1-2 gigs per month and they are either friends or personal referrals], and it seems scaleable based on the requirements of the gig.

Problem is I can’t seem to decide between the 8s or 10s. I heard them both and thought the 10s sounded better, and might be able to use them for smaller gigs w/o subs. I like the portability of the 8s thought.

Other problem is that the subs in this line are generally not very well regarded and I haven’t demoed them. All I know is the ekx18 sounded very good. Deep warm musical and very little distortion.

I Soo and Al seem to be the guys with the most experience with these lines. Hoping they might provide me some clarity.
dj_soo 10:42 PM - 22 December, 2017
I have both the DXR10s and the DXR8s - get the 10s. They sound better, aren't that much heavier, and are ok for small parties on their own, although I wouldn't use them standalone for more than like 50 people or background levels. I use my 8s mainly for monitors, satellite/side fills, or mains paired with a 12" sub for my sub-100 person parties.

I've paired them with mainly Yorkville the subs - LS720Ps, PS12S, PS15S, PS18S, LS801P, and the LS2100P.

As well as KW181s and the Cerwin Vega CVX18S and they are fine - can keep up with about 4 of that class sub and should be fine with 4 EKX18SPs.

If you can find a sub with a high pass output like the JBL PRX18P, it'll probably sound a hair better just because you're using the sub's crossover and not matching up mismatched company curves, but I haven't had an issue with that over the years - sounds good, get loud, and are built well.
GNB 8:39 PM - 24 December, 2017
Sorry to change the subject a bit but I am confused. Ok so I get my ELX 115p x 2 next week and will be connecting to my EKX 118sp sub. I would like a stereo setup. Previously I had 2 xlr lines from L/R from the mixer to the sub then 1 xlr line to each top speaker. However, I watched a video on YouTube today and this configuration I use may in fact be mono ! Eek. Anyone know a better configuration for stereo with xlr lines from the mixer using 1 sub and 2 pa speakers ? 🎅
NDH 10:36 PM - 5 March, 2018
I'm new to this forum, but I do appreciate very much the real world experiences an advice from you all.

I got a pair of QSC K10 and a Yamaha StagePas 600i system for smaller karaoke gig. I'm in the process of buying a Yamaha DXS15 sub to supplement these speakers. Is it a good idea for me to buy a used sub with some warranty versus a new one?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
GNB 2:42 PM - 6 March, 2018
I have changed my position recently from Yamaha to Electrovoice although both are top of the line speakers. Having owned the DXS-15 sub from Yamaha for about 1 year but found the speaker just missing lower end bass and lack of rumble. I sold it and bought the EV EKX-18SP and what a difference. Now both are tanks to lug around but the EV just has that great warm bass, more particularly when I have Sirius XM satellite radio on and put on "Chill Out" channel 53 or "Heart & Soul" channel 48, that's where this speaker really performs especially at low volume. I now have 2 x ELX-115p speakers on tripods, very happy with the reproduction of satellite music in my 1000 sq.ft. room. Not loud, but very clean, clear, crisp sound from the ELX speakers, especially voice, acoustic guitar, amazingly clean. Both Yamaha & EV are maybe not at the level of QSC (I have never heard these speakers to be fair), but I seriously doubt that the reproduction of regular music can get much better that what I am listing to every day with the EV speakers. This system should be more than able to handle gigging with a small band from time to time. I also see that the "gear rank" web site 2018 has the EKX-18SP at or near the top of subs on the market in terms of ratings from owners. Cheers ! GNB
dj_soo 7:09 AM - 7 March, 2018
I think both EV and Yamaha sound better than QSC - I have owned both Yamaha and QSC speakers.

QSC's best feautre is their proven reliability, but while they don't sound bad, I don't think they sound as good as EV tops overall and I think yamaha sound better at high volumes.
Taipanic 2:45 PM - 7 March, 2018
Quote:
I think both EV and Yamaha sound better than QSC - I have owned both Yamaha and QSC speakers.

QSC's best feature is their proven reliability, but while they don't sound bad, I don't think they sound as good as EV tops overall and I think yamaha sound better at high volumes.

Cosign...
GNB 2:56 PM - 7 March, 2018
Based on my research before buying my systems, I found that QSC prices are much higher in most cases and for the average buyer like me. In terms of sound quality and reliability maybe they are indeed better. The pro’s can buy them. This EV system I have now has superb sound and I doubt that I would be able to hear much difference. I give Yamaha and EV top marks in sound quality and build having own both. GNB
Al Poulin 3:28 PM - 7 March, 2018
Quote:

QSC's best feautre is their proven reliability, but while they don't sound bad, I don't think they sound as good as EV tops overall and I think yamaha sound better at high volumes.

I actually used 4 tops on a gig last Saturday, it was a University graduation. Roughly 40-50 people, but they like it LOUD. I had rented some Yorkville NX55P-2s which I am making a review of shortly, and combined these with my Yamaha DXR15s. NX55P2s on stands and DXR15s on the floor was the unusual configuration. I started with both cabinets at unity (middle or 0 setting sometimes) and the DXR15s were set to FOH (D-Contour) mode. The NX55P-2s have a fairly strong deeper bass boost built-in, so I reduced the low end -3DB on my mixer channels to help a little output wise. At what I would consider decent levels, the NX55P2s already had the limit lights blinking, so I figured I'd boost the gain on the Yamahas a little to somewhat try to have all speakers at their limit together. Long story short, I was able to turn the gain on the DXR15s all the way to max setting and they still weren't limiting once the volume was up. Basically, I ran the entire night like this and the NX55P-2s were blinking limiters all night, with the DXR15s noticeably louder and only lighting up occasionally on louder deeper bass (mostly modern rap type stuff). I am aware that gain sensitivity varies from one manufacturer to another, and it seems the Yamahas do require more signal to reach a given SPL level, but at their max setting, they were definitely putting out more than the NX55P2-s who's bass boost really seems to limit full range performance. As mentionned, the yellow limit lights were on constantly... Love my DXR15s! I think the Superior processing is justs awesome and really seems to be able to get the maximum output from its transducers while keeping things sounding good at all levels...
Al Poulin 3:37 PM - 7 March, 2018
I am aware that I am comparing a 12" to 15", but still, this test told me quite a bit on the performance capabilities of both cabs run full range. It should be noted that both cabs are rated by the manufacturer to produce 133-134DBs peak. I'm sure neither of these came close to these DB levels, but it was obvious which cabs got louder overall and had the better processing. The NX55P-2s would likely do better hi-passed with subs, but even back when I owned the V1s, I recall those damn yellow lights always lighting up. My woofers also used to audibly bottom out which was annoying. Generally, the NX55Ps sound terrific used full range at low to medium levels, but sound more and more like ass once you pass the woofer's excursion limits and only the horn gets louder. The DXR15s don't sound as rich at lower levels and don't extend as low frequency wise (in spite of their bigger woofer), but MAINTAIN their sound quality up to pretty extreme levels considering their price point...

Al