DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Where to get started?

NoxyTime 6:53 PM - 27 September, 2016
I want to get started as a DJ but where should I get started? I live on a college campus and there doesn't seem to be a lot of parties needing DJs, at least from what I've seen most of the kids just plug their phones/mp3/Ps4/XboxOne into large speakers and call it good. There are, however, small clubs within walking distance, should I ask if they have any opening spots? I don't know if this matters but I just have a Pioneer DDJ-SB2 with Serato DJ Intro was looking to buy the full Serato DJ after maybe a gig or something. Also feel free to leave a story of how you got started below I'd be happy to read them and possibly it may give me ideas. Thanks so much!
Antonio Essex 8:14 PM - 27 September, 2016
Start with practice. Then, practice some more. Build your library by joining a decent online pool. You don't even have the full version of serato and you want to hit up a local club for gigs? I'd lock myself in my dorm room every night for 2 hours and learn how to use the software, my controller, the effects, how to beat match by ear, how to phrase my mixes, the fundamentals of "DJing" and not worry about gigs for a long while. It's not just hitting play. There's levels to this and you're not even in the game yet.
NoxyTime 9:46 PM - 27 September, 2016
Quote:
You don't even have the full version of serato and you want to hit up a local club for gigs? I'd lock myself in my dorm room every night for 2 hours and learn how to use the software, my controller, the effects, how to beat match by ear, how to phrase my mixes, the fundamentals of "DJing" and not worry about gigs for a long while. It's not just hitting play. There's levels to this and you're not even in the game yet.

I know it's not just about hitting the play button I've seen those kinds of DJs and I really hate those kinds of DJs. Also can't you do a pretty decent set with intro? I don't really know your level of experience but if you are really good then I'm sure that you could probably pull off a good set with intro. I figure as long as you can beatmatch extremely well and are creative you could maybe do even better than some dudes with the full version. Don't worry I am not gonna hit the clubs up yet I'm just saying that it's an option in the future and would it be wise to make it sort of a first experience. Thank you for your comment.
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:02 AM - 28 September, 2016
my advice of where to get started hasn't changed since the days when there were only turntables and vinyl...build your music library first!.

You CAN do a great set with Intro, it's all about the music. Learn the basic as stated here already. Then repeat until people are begging you to play. Make recordings of you practicing and give them to people who WILL listen AND give feedback. Rock those mixes in the car or when you are cruising in some headphones and break them apart until you know exactly what is happening in every second. Great DJs have control of every note. It isn't tricks or versions of software that make a great DJ... just listen, learn, and practice....repeat

Cheers to asking the right question!
NoxyTime 3:38 AM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
...build your music library first!.
You CAN do a great set with Intro, it's all about the music. Learn the basic as stated here already. Then repeat until people are begging you to play. Make recordings of you practicing and give them to people who WILL listen AND give feedback. Rock those mixes in the car or when you are cruising in some headphones and break them apart until you know exactly what is happening in every second. Great DJs have control of every note. It isn't tricks or versions of software that make a great DJ... just listen, learn, and practice....repeat

First, thanks for your advice almost everyday I look for new songs to build up my library, most of it is EDM, Progressive House, Dub, and UK Hardcore. I'm also currently trying to figure out a way to record mixes because you know with Intro they don't really give you that option. I just really wish that I had someone (with a DJ background) to point out things I need to work on in person cause it sounds and feels like I got beatmatching and transitioning down but you know some reinforcement would be nice. I've been practicing for a little over a month which I know isn't a lot but it's something haha.
AKIEM 3:42 AM - 28 September, 2016
Do you use the sync button?
NoxyTime 3:53 AM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
Do you use the sync button?

Haven't even touched it at all. Been beatmatching by dropping the track with timing (to the best of my abilities) and tweaking the waveform with the jogwheels.
AKIEM 4:56 AM - 28 September, 2016
ok.

I echo Dub Cowboy tho - practice.

When I started, I didn't dare try my first house party until I mastered a certain level. Things are different now, so I don't know what level of mastery I would advise. But, no need to rush into getting booked. jmo
Taipanic 2:28 PM - 28 September, 2016
To put this further into perspective, most of the DJs playing the big clubs spent years of practicing and invested thousands of dollars on music & equipment before even playing out. To go through that meant that you were really passionate about music and wanting to create artistic mixes and make people happy. We kind of frown on the up and comers that suddenly decide to be a DJ because it's the cool thing this year, download a hard drive of crappy sounding, illegal music, and then want to go out and undercut us and take our gigs, while DJing poorly. If you are really serious and passionate about this, you won't mind investing in yourself and this lifestyle. People who balk at that are generally not really into it. People like me will always be a DJ, no matter what life throws at you, because it is a part of who we are, not just a fad or faze we are going through. If spending $100 for Serato and $20 a month for a record pool is to much of a commitment, then you probably aren't meant to be a DJ. I've been DJing probably since before you were born and I still invest thousands a year into my craft. Figure out how important this really is to you and if you really want to move forward then do it the right way, which as stated above, starts with a lot of practice at home and building up your music collection (and musical knowledge of other genres, classics, etc...).
AKIEM 3:50 PM - 28 September, 2016
good advice
Michael A 4:53 PM - 28 September, 2016
If it were me, I'd practice every night in my dorm room and leave the door and windows open so people passing by can hear. If the music is good, the party may find you. Maybe you can make and sell some mix tapes. That might buy you the full Serato. Word of mouth spreads and maybe you get some offers to do parties, etc. All the while you're practicing and getting better.
NoxyTime 6:17 PM - 28 September, 2016
Thanks for the advice guys I'll definitely practice hard and learn as much as I can because I know DJing is an art form and I am passionate about it. I definitely don't want to be lumped in with the "iPod" DJs. Also Michale A, that mix tape idea sounds pretty good I'll look more into that and perhaps SoundCloud.
Marv Incredible 7:01 PM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
I'm also currently trying to figure out a way to record mixes because you know with Intro they don't really give you that option.

If you're using a Mac, try this:
rogueamoeba.com
NoxyTime 7:12 PM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
If you're using a Mac, try this:
rogueamoeba.com

Thanks but I use a Windows PC.
Michael A 7:41 PM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
that mix tape idea sounds pretty good I'll look more into that and perhaps SoundCloud.

I believe Mixcloud is the way to go, Soundcloud was pulling mixes down due to licensing issues.

Bottom line, I'd try to exploit your environment to get your music out there, "Create and Hustle". Being on a college campus, it can't hurt from a social standpoint either. ;)
CMOS 9:01 PM - 28 September, 2016
Figure out how to record your mix and record everything. You should be your worst critic.

You should be able to pick out every mistake.

The above was the best advice i was ever given.

Everything sounds good while spinning when you are new. Those recordings however will show you whats really there.

In a few months listen to your old mixes, you will hate them. This is good.

Dont take your best friends advice, post them here if you want real criticism. Be prepared for the criticism though, some people here have 40 years experience.
Marv Incredible 11:05 PM - 28 September, 2016
Quote:
Thanks but I use a Windows PC.

Cool. Then you can use the built-in sound recording features. You just need a program to actually capture and edit it, like Audacity.

And since you mentioned it...
Quote:
I live on a college campus and there doesn't seem to be a lot of parties needing DJs, at least from what I've seen most of the kids just plug their phones/mp3/Ps4/XboxOne into large speakers and call it good

That paragraph contains everything you need really. You just have to find ways to turn it to your advantage. For example:

Being on campus, surrounded by young people constantly playing the music they like puts you in a great position to know what's hot and what's not. Use that info. Soak it up. Build your library based on what you know will work for a college crowd (I know you said you have certain preferences but you also said you wanna get paid so..).

Someone in the college (the college themselves or a fraternity / student union, will be responsible for events that they put on at certain times of the year. Find out who does it. What they do. Do they hire in DJs? Can you get involved somehow? Even if you can't bag the gig for yourself (or can't handle it yet), you could lot learn a lot from the DJs or event organisers that are doing it.

You're surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of people. Think of how many birthdays per year there are. Start off doing mixes for people's birthdays. Among other things, it'll give purpose to your practice recordings (which is more powerful than recording for recording's sake). Once you build a good reputation for making banging mixes, you'll soon get asked to do actual birthday parties or other events, even if they're small-scale to begin with.

Get known. Get to know others. Earn people's trust as a 'music man'. Because, if you're connected to hundreds or thousands of college kids, you'll be valuable to promoters or venues in your area who are trying to target that same demographic. Being a good promoter or party organiser (or at elast having a solid understanding of the process) helps to make you a better DJ and these days, you're more likely to get booked and paid if you have a large following you can promote to and potentially bring along.

Bottom line is you're actually in a good position and seem to be going about it in the right way. Good luck to you man. And have fun!
NoxyTime 1:31 AM - 29 September, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Dont take your best friends advice, post them here if you want real criticism. Be prepared for the criticism though, some people here have 40 years experience.

I will definitely come here for some constructive criticism once I think I'm good enough to be critiqued by the veterans. Sure hope it is constructive though cause I've seen some of them just laugh and tore apart a dude without giving any sort of advice or pointers, just a "you suck I'm better *insert video link*" that sort of thing.

Quote:
Get known. Get to know others. Earn people's trust as a 'music man'. Because, if you're connected to hundreds or thousands of college kids, you'll be valuable to promoters or venues in your area who are trying to target that same demographic. Being a good promoter or party organiser (or at elast having a solid understanding of the process) helps to make you a better DJ and these days, you're more likely to get booked and paid if you have a large following you can promote to and potentially bring along.

Bottom line is you're actually in a good position and seem to be going about it in the right way. Good luck to you man. And have fun!

Thanks for the advice I'll definitely look into that once I get more practice in and I feel that I'm ready to show these people here what I can do!
Michael A 1:56 PM - 29 September, 2016
Quote:

Quote:

I will definitely come here for some constructive criticism once I think I'm good enough to be critiqued by the veterans. Sure hope it is constructive though cause I've seen some of them just laugh and tore apart a dude without giving any sort of advice or pointers, just a "you suck I'm better *insert video link*" that sort of thing.

I've been reading these forums for a relatively short time, but I think I can say this with confidence. The knowledgebase here is second to none. You have some very knowledgable and/or successful DJ's who will give you some priceless info and help. The main thing is to come at these folks the right way (as you can see from the responses to your OP). Be humble, accept criticism and even some hazing. You may get tore up. That's what new jacks in any industry should expect from the OG's. But these folks can detect BS from a mile away and will call you on it without mercy.

If your serious about this, take all of what Marv said into consideration. Do your homework on how the greats from NYC, Philly, Detroit got their starts. Grassroots, they paid dues.
NoxyTime 10:38 PM - 29 September, 2016
Quote:
The knowledgebase here is second to none. You have some very knowledgable and/or successful DJ's who will give you some priceless info and help. The main thing is to come at these folks the right way (as you can see from the responses to your OP). Be humble, accept criticism and even some hazing. You may get tore up. That's what new jacks in any industry should expect from the OG's. But these folks can detect BS from a mile away and will call you on it without mercy.

If I were to post like a video or an audio recording on here is there any way for me to do it without uploading it to YouTube and just pasting the link here?
nathans1 2:14 AM - 30 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I just really wish that I had someone (with a DJ background) to point out things I need to work on in person cause it sounds and feels like I got beatmatching and transitioning down

1) You probably don't have it down yet. YOU MIGHT! But you probably don't. That's ok though because if you practice you might get it.
2) YouTube has great video tutorials to help you. DJ Elaskins, DJ TLM and many more.
3) Depending on the city that you live in, some cities have dj school. I personally wouldn't spend very much money if any (I would use YouTube) But if its available it might be a starting point for you.
4) Practice & record yourself as others have said. even with a video camera and listen back to your mixes. Things tend to sound drastically different when you listen back.
5) Good luck!!!
Taipanic 2:41 PM - 30 September, 2016
Quote:

If I were to post like a video or an audio recording on here is there any way for me to do it without uploading it to YouTube and just pasting the link here?

Not really, no. There is no file hosting for any kind of media on this Forum, you will have to upload it somewhere and link to it.