Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Unstable Serato on windows

Brennevin 4:10 AM - 16 September, 2016
Hi.
I am having some problems with the stability when I use serato with my sz. I have the latest version of Serato, latest firmware for sz, latest windows 10 version and I have run the mp3 checker software on all my mp3s.
I have an Asus laptop with i7-4720hq cpu @ 2.60 ghz, 16 gb ram and I am using an external hd.
Serato freezes when I play, usually the song continues and the screen freezes. So if it is early in the song I am lucky and serato unfreezes and I can use it again. Sometimes if I have qued the next song I can use the sz and listen to the next song during the freeze.
More rarely the music disappears completely and I look like a complete idiot. This happened the last weekend so I have decided to reinstall windows and see what happens. Is there anything I can do in addition to remove these problems? Or is Serato just unstable on windows?
DjSyndic8 5:48 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Hi.
I am having some problems with the stability when I use serato with my sz. I have the latest version of Serato, latest firmware for sz, latest windows 10 version and I have run the mp3 checker software on all my mp3s.
I have an Asus laptop with i7-4720hq cpu @ 2.60 ghz, 16 gb ram and I am using an external hd.
Serato freezes when I play, usually the song continues and the screen freezes. So if it is early in the song I am lucky and serato unfreezes and I can use it again. Sometimes if I have qued the next song I can use the sz and listen to the next song during the freeze.
More rarely the music disappears completely and I look like a complete idiot. This happened the last weekend so I have decided to reinstall windows and see what happens. Is there anything I can do in addition to remove these problems? Or is Serato just unstable on windows?

serato is unstable with windows in my opinion, make sure you follow these windows optimization procedure first before running Serato on your windows laptop---->support.serato.com
Burny 4:24 PM - 16 September, 2016
Amazing isnt it, Serato Sells a PC version, but it's not stable with a PC. Serato Sells Serato Video for PC, but it's not stable either. They should have their asses sued off.
DjSyndic8 7:35 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Amazing isnt it, Serato Sells a PC version, but it's not stable with a PC. Serato Sells Serato Video for PC, but it's not stable either. They should have their asses sued off.
Brennevin 4:05 PM - 20 September, 2016
Thanks, I will try that.
It is truly frustrating that they cant make it better for windows users.
I am guessing not a lot of people use Serato for Windows then? WHat do you use instead?
DjSyndic8 8:24 PM - 20 September, 2016
Quote:
Thanks, I will try that.
It is truly frustrating that they cant make it better for windows users.
I am guessing not a lot of people use Serato for Windows then? WHat do you use instead?

Mac all the way
Hanginon 2:19 AM - 21 September, 2016
Brennevin,

If you can, copy some of your library directly to the HDD or SSD in your laptop, and use that instead of the external HD (as a test).

I'm not a lover of USB ports, especially the smaller ones on portable HD's - very poor mechanical stability.
DjSyndic8 3:04 AM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
Brennevin,

If you can, copy some of your library directly to the HDD or SSD in your laptop, and use that instead of the external HD (as a test).

I'm not a lover of USB ports, especially the smaller ones on portable HD's - very poor mechanical stability.

wont make a difference I prefer using portable hard drives its easier to move to another computer if shit hits the fan
Mike Butler 7:36 AM - 21 September, 2016
I had a similar problem once when the screen just froze partway through a track. Fortunately I spotted it and cued up a track on my phone just before the whole laptop reset. Pretty sure it was my own fault though - I'd switched to using the higher performance GPU rather than the basic onboard one which I think made the system overheat. Switched back to the slower GPU and never had an issue since. This is running Windows 8.1 on an HP Envy i7 laptop, and never had any other problems with Serato, Traktor, VDJ etc. It just works.

Mike
Hanginon 1:27 PM - 21 September, 2016
DjSyndic8,

Please explain to me how it "wont make a difference" when both data AND power for an external HDD is usually supplied by the USB port?
DJ Tecniq 4:13 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
DjSyndic8,

Please explain to me how it "wont make a difference" when both data AND power for an external HDD is usually supplied by the USB port?
Because you are still using "USB power" which then is shared from your USB device (audio card, mixer) which is why dropouts or audio issues still occur. If you had an external which supports thunderbolt or FireWire connection this would be more sufficient as it frees up the USB port that is normally connected for your hard drive👍🏼
DJ Tecniq 4:15 PM - 21 September, 2016
Basically you are only running just 1 USB device for Serato which make a more smooth performance and experience. It would ups also help rule out if the dropouts or audio issues are from too much USB power or not. Good luck
Hanginon 5:44 PM - 21 September, 2016
DJ Tecniq,

I agree 100%.

Brennevin,

Before spending any $$$'s on this, put enough of your library on your internal HDD or SSD, so that you can do a gig, and see if it makes a difference, not using your external drive.
WileECoyote 12:59 AM - 22 September, 2016
It may be an ASUS thing.

I have an ASUS i7-4710;m 8GB RAM running at 2.5 GHz and it has done the same thing ever since I updated to Windows 10. It also randomly makes a severe screech sometimes when it freezes.

I never had an issue on an i5 Acer with Windows 7. I'd done all the optimizations, but just gave up after the problem resurfaced after a few weeks. Updating the GPU drivers worked for that short period; but I eventually bought a Mac.
alec.tron 3:03 AM - 22 September, 2016
Yup, I had the freeze & server screech on a festival gig as well with SDJ 1.9.2. So this feels rather more like a general windows10 issue, rather than a manufacturer specific one...
c.
alec.tron 3:09 AM - 22 September, 2016
meh
*server screech = severe screech
M.adaM 5:19 PM - 24 September, 2016
If you have an SSD on Win 10, you MUST get the Intel Rapid Storage Technology package installed.
I almost went crazy before .... it just freezes the entire system if the SSD idles for some time... you can barely move the mouse and nothing responses for 30 seconds or so....

Get the RST and things gets perfect
Sounds By JB 1:28 PM - 25 September, 2016
This is what you need to run:

www.thesycon.de

If this tool can run, on an idle machine, with a stable green or yellow trend your system should be ok.

If it shows peaks, you're fcked. This means one of your drivers, probably one having to do with your storage or USB, has issues and needs an upgrade. You would be surprised how many of the shelve laptops need upgrading and tweaking before in the safe zone.

Good luck!
mixgoonie 2:08 PM - 25 September, 2016
Never had any issue with serato, even made a party completely in power saver mode.
mixgoonie 2:08 PM - 25 September, 2016
On Windows 8
Brennevin 1:59 AM - 8 October, 2016
Thanks guys, didnt get e-mail notification so did not notice all the replies. I will try these advices.
HAd another issue tonight. I used the flanger and echo switches on the top on the sz. I stopped using them before because it would just make the sound drop immediately, like the external drive was disconnected. I figured it should be better now cause I formated the laptop and have nothing else then Serato. Did not help, all sound gone. So fu***** annoying. Why wont they make Serato buffer the current song atleast? All the old software I used to use did that. If someone was unlucky and touced the usb drive, the song would finish and I had the time to get ready the backup.
I can't believe this is a premium software supported by the likes of Pioneer etc etc.
8823430 10:48 AM - 8 October, 2016
I don't have any problems with my windows laptop .it has the latest window 10 with the anniversary update .
You have to go through ever part of your pc to make it work correctly ,
defrag pc hard drive once a week
turn off any hardware i.e wifi ,bluetooth.dvd drive.
Use good quality usb leads and max length of 1metre.
scan your music for any corrupted files and remove them.
Follow the how to make my pc work better exactly to the letter.
Try all of these and then try it out.
Keep on try it will work correctly