DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Integrating usage of iPhone into Wedding DJ'ing

Andy Savage 12:54 AM - 15 September, 2016
I have been Dj weddings and would like to add the ability to play some music off of my phone for requests that I do not own in my music library.

I run Serato through my HP laptop on Windows Home 10. I connect my Numark Mixtrack pro II to my Laptop via usb and connect my Mixtrack Pro II to my speakers through direct rca to 1/4 Cords. One channel to one speaker and on channel to the other speaker (No mixer or box separating my connection from controller to speaker) I used two 15" Behringer Eurolive B215's with an XLR chain from one of those two to my 18' Powered sub.

My question is this. I would like to be able to integrate playing songs on the fly from my Iphone 6s+. My gut tells me to order a cable that converts 3.5mm to 1/4 and when it comes time to play a track from my phone, unplug one of the RCA to 1/4 cables from one of the channels on my controller and plug in the new connection from my phone to the Speaker using the 3.5mm to 1/4.

I realize at this point all audio will only be going from my phone to 1 single speaker (unless I daisy chain my two top ends together.

Is there a way to integrate the use of a phone with a 3.5mm output into the mixtrack pro II so that i will not have to go through the hustle and annoyance of stopping music to periodically switch out the cables?

Rookie question I realize, however google and other research have not brought me much luck.
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:34 AM - 15 September, 2016
i'm laughing my ass off at the fact you are a wedding dj with that setup and no clue,

are you one of these $100 dj's?
Logisticalstyles 1:35 AM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
I connect my Numark Mixtrack pro II to my Laptop via usb and connect my Mixtrack Pro II to my speakers through direct rca to 1/4 Cords. One channel to one speaker and on channel to the other speaker (No mixer or box separating my connection from controller to speaker)

Put "a mixer or box" between your controller and speaker. It will allow you to connect more than one device to your speakers.
Andy Savage 1:37 AM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
i'm laughing my ass off at the fact you are a wedding dj with that setup and no clue,

are you one of these $100 dj's?

I don't charge at all I have just been doing a few here and there this summer for friends and family to help them out.
Logisticalstyles 1:47 AM - 15 September, 2016
www.sweetwater.com

or

www.guitarcenter.com

Either one + an aux cable will solve your problems
Andy Savage 2:18 AM - 15 September, 2016
Thanks Logisticalstyles!

Reading up on both was a big help and I actually just ordered the Behringer. I'll be purchasing more and more equipment throughout the winter to get me to where I need to be.

Unrelated: are there any other pieces of equipment you would suggest to a new event DJ? Something you've learned along the way maybe?

Appreciate it man!
DJ_Dad 3:54 AM - 15 September, 2016
When you are starting out, song selections are critical. Start to learn the crowd you are playing to and what music gets them up and dancing. A good DJ will stay with what is working and not jump around too much even is that is what the planned playlist was supposed to do. Don't try to do too much with your mixer at first. Practice some more advanced mixing skills on your own time and don't experiment during a gig. Do some simple transitions to keep the music going and don't just be an iPod playing each song. Try to keep songs with similar "feel" and tempo together in groups and not too mixed up. I try to group songs in waves building energy to a peak, keep it there for a bit, then playing some popular slower song or sing-a-long then start building again.

When your mixing skills are being honed, you can totally cover for that by being outgoing with the mic. Try to be natural and not cheesy, but sometimes you need to boost the crowd with some energetic input from you on the mic.

You will probably need to invest in some lighting if want to take this much further. The Chauvet gigbar 2 is a little pricey, but it would be all you need for a small to mid beginning lighting setup and are very good quality.

Anyway, I don't have vast experience like many others on this board and I am still learning every gig myself. Other's mileage may vary. Enjoy.
Andy Savage 3:56 AM - 15 September, 2016
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.
Antonio Essex 4:17 PM - 15 September, 2016
I think the answer to your problem would be to invest in a higher tier controller that allows you to plug your phone in a channel on the mixer through AUX/RCA cord. I play on pioneer DDJSX and I plug my phone in chanel 4 and just switch over on the mixer whenever I need to play a song I don't have or don't want to buy because it's song i'll never play again. Not knocking your hustle because you're not charging people for weddings, but if you want to start getting paid then you're going to have to bring professional quality gear. Keep grinding dude!
Andy Savage 4:40 PM - 15 September, 2016
As Ghetto-rigged as this sounds my friend suggested I do this for my wedding Saturday:
I run my wireless Mic receiver into my controller through 1/4" obviously and he said I could buy a 1/4 splitter and run my receiver into one and my phone into another through a 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter into the other. I can control the volume on my phone and also on the receiver for the mic level and control the master on the gain knob. I have my doubts about it running smoothly but I just need something ASAP for Saturday. Would something like that be at least OK for a one off gig?

Also, do you have any recommendations on a controller roughly in the $1200 range? I'd lkke to spend more but I have my eye on some nice lighting rigs and as we all know those get super expensive.

Thanks in advance!
DJ_Dad 4:59 PM - 15 September, 2016
Hard to beat the pioneer sx2. I have the new Denon mcx8000, but had the pioneer and something that just works everytime it's hard to beat the sx-2.
Antonio Essex 8:09 PM - 15 September, 2016
yeah the X2 is for me tax time. @Andy savage, jesus that sounds like a lot of bullshit to have to figure out so you can play that gig. Make sure to set all that up and test a few times before playing out live. Straight up mickey rigged. Sure you're not going to have to tap into the street lamp and steal power to run that shit like they did in the 80's NYC block party days?
DJ Guayo 8:18 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
As Ghetto-rigged as this sounds my friend suggested I do this for my wedding Saturday:
I run my wireless Mic receiver into my controller through 1/4" obviously and he said I could buy a 1/4 splitter and run my receiver into one and my phone into another through a 3.5mm to 1/4 adapter into the other. I can control the volume on my phone and also on the receiver for the mic level and control the master on the gain knob. I have my doubts about it running smoothly but I just need something ASAP for Saturday. Would something like that be at least OK for a one off gig?

Also, do you have any recommendations on a controller roughly in the $1200 range? I'd lkke to spend more but I have my eye on some nice lighting rigs and as we all know those get super expensive.

Thanks in advance!

My 2 cents. You already passed the first test and didn't get your panties in a wad after peeps critiqued your setup. Focus on your skills and audio first. You can still have a party without lights but you can't have a party without audio. See if you can tag along with other DJs as a second hand to see the ins and outs. And practice, practice, practice and when you think you're good, practice some more.
jprime 8:26 PM - 15 September, 2016
Can't you run a 3.5 out from your phone to a rca input on your controller? I bring a a 3.5 to rca female + rca cable to these kind of things for just that reason.