Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ SX2 & late 2008 Macbook Pro not stable! Help???

James Duffy 8:35 AM - 23 August, 2016
Morning all.

I just bought a DDJ SX2 & I am running a late 2008 15" MBP with core duo 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram, 128 SSD & a 500GB HHD. The SSD is the primary hard drive which Serato DJ & all my music is stored on.

It doesn't feel stable when using the SX2. When I load a song to a deck the opposite deck sometimes pauses for half a second. Sometimes when I use effects, both decks stop playing. Then to get them to work again I have to reload both songs otherwise nothing works.
My MBP meets the minimum requirements for the SX2.

I wanna know if buying a newer Macbook Pro with an i5 or i7 will solve my problem? I have a weekly Friday residency so I need to get this sorted ASAP. As I am working on a budget & a very small time scale, I have seen a 2010 15" MBP with core i7 2.66GHz. Would that be a big improvement? Or do I now need to fork out for a much newer MBP?

Thanks
DjSyndic8 10:43 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Morning all.

I just bought a DDJ SX2 & I am running a late 2008 15" MBP with core duo 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram, 128 SSD & a 500GB HHD. The SSD is the primary hard drive which Serato DJ & all my music is stored on.

It doesn't feel stable when using the SX2. When I load a song to a deck the opposite deck sometimes pauses for half a second. Sometimes when I use effects, both decks stop playing. Then to get them to work again I have to reload both songs otherwise nothing works.
My MBP meets the minimum requirements for the SX2.

I wanna know if buying a newer Macbook Pro with an i5 or i7 will solve my problem? I have a weekly Friday residency so I need to get this sorted ASAP. As I am working on a budget & a very small time scale, I have seen a 2010 15" MBP with core i7 2.66GHz. Would that be a big improvement? Or do I now need to fork out for a much newer MBP?

Thanks

unfortunately your laptops not powerful enough to run serato dj, you need to upgrade to i5 or i7 macbook pro
DjSyndic8 10:44 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
2010 15" MBP with core i7 2.66GHz. Would that be a big improvement? Or do I now need to fork out for a much newer MBP

this would do the job but the newer the better around 2012 onwards with minimum 8gb ram
James Duffy 10:50 AM - 23 August, 2016
Ok thats good to know. I have to get it done by Friday! I will look for a 2012 model onwards!

Thanks
DjSyndic8 10:54 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Ok thats good to know. I have to get it done by Friday! I will look for a 2012 model onwards!

Thanks

I have mid 2012 macbook pro 2.6ghz I7 with 16gb ram I use a ddj-sx2 as well I use my mac purely for djing nothing else
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:45 PM - 23 August, 2016
Yep from MID2012 you will be fine.
d:raf 5:06 PM - 23 August, 2016
Mid-to-late 2011 models work great too; just avoid the 15" models because they had issues with their 2nd graphics cards.
DJ Tecniq 5:58 PM - 23 August, 2016
SDJ versions 1.8 and above only support iprocessors (i3,i5,i7) your laptop is very outdated it may run 1.7 versions but that's it. SDJ's system requirements are now Iprocessors only. I'm running a 15" Mid 2014 MacBook Pro w/16 gigs ram and NVIDEA card super fast and a beast. Purchased from Best Buy. Any 2012 or newer Mac is fine. If you want to do video mixing you'll need a "15 MBP which has dedicated graphics like mine👍🏻
James Duffy 7:06 PM - 23 August, 2016
That explains it then. I have been using scratch live,1210s & CDJs for 5 years. And I hadn't updated Serato DJ since I downloaded it like 2 or 3 years ago so the version I had seemed to work fine with my SL3 and dicers when I started using it 2 weeks ago before I bought the SX2 for convenience.

Thanks for your help guys.
James Duffy 7:13 PM - 23 August, 2016
Is it possible to go backwards with my SDJ to a version that supports my Mac and SX2 even if it doesn't allow any of the new features or any features aslong as I can mox and its stable untill I can find a suitable replacement rather than me panic buying a newer Macbook???
DJ Tecniq 8:52 PM - 23 August, 2016
Here is the download archive for older versions I think any 1.7 version would be okay since the SX has been supported for quite some time now. Install it and try it out what do you have to lose? This would only support older OSX's like Mavericks/Yosemite serato.com
James Duffy 9:24 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Here is the download archive for older versions I think any 1.7 version would be okay since the SX has been supported for quite some time now. Install it and try it out what do you have to lose? This would only support older OSX's like Mavericks/Yosemite serato.com

Thanks.

I axtually googled it right after i posted the question and tried it out. I have only had a little 10 minute play with it but it seems stable and I am able to have a 1ms buffer again!!!

I am going to test it out over the next 3 days and try it out Friday night properly as a field test! I will be updating my MBP for sure but atleast i don't have to rush/panic buy one ASAP now.

I will keep this updated on its stability after a couple of gigs.

Thanks
DJ Tecniq 9:32 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

I axtually googled it right after i posted the question and tried it out. I have only had a little 10 minute play with it but it seems stable and I am able to have a 1ms buffer again!!!

I am going to test it out over the next 3 days and try it out Friday night properly as a field test! I will be updating my MBP for sure but atleast i don't have to rush/panic buy one ASAP now.

I will keep this updated on its stability after a couple of gigs.

Thanks
Good deal you're welcome. 1.7 should be solid with that laptop. But you gotta admit a 2008 mac is hella old bro def upgrade if you want to stay with current technology. Have fun!
James Duffy 2:22 PM - 24 August, 2016
Its not as old as my 1210s and CDJ 1000s and to be honest it has been nothing but perfect untill i bought an SX2 on the weekend lol.

But yes i will be upgrading it now!
938MyDJ 3:52 PM - 24 August, 2016
Mavericks & 1.8.2 works well both with My 2008 & 2009 (old just for back up) Macbooks.
DJ Tecniq 4:26 PM - 24 August, 2016
Damn I was using a 2010 MacBook Pro and I thought that was even old. I have a 2014 now. My old 2010 had a faulty graphics card