DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Indian and Arabic Music

SpinnerRoony 8:42 AM - 17 August, 2016
Hello guys!
Where is a good place to find some Indian and Arabic rap and pop music?
I'm looking for stuff that is classically popular and also the newer tunes.
Is there a website where you can get this in like a DJ Pool?

Thank you!
DJ Remy USA 6:02 PM - 17 August, 2016
Tracking I'm curious myself I get it off iTunes for now.
SpinnerRoony 12:10 AM - 18 August, 2016
Yeah.
There are pools specifically for American Hip-Hop and EDM and pools for Latino music but there are none for Arabic/Indian that I can find. I mean there are tons of places where Arbaic and Indian music are played too.
577er 9:34 PM - 18 August, 2016
Would love to know as well.
i am Dj fLiP 11:01 PM - 18 August, 2016
It's mostly Punjabi and Bhangra that are considered mainstream in their culture (feel free to correct me as this is just my observation).
I'm sure you can do some research about it, maybe check the radio stations' website for playlist etc.

Heck, even asking your fellow Indian friends could give you a suggestion or two.

I, myself, need to apply these to myself, and I'll be honest with that.

Holidays are coming up, and I'm sure there will be plenty of private holiday gigs that are coming up and it will be a variety of people and their culture, so it's good to start compiling them.
SpinnerRoony 4:32 AM - 19 August, 2016
Heck yeah!
Hey guys add me on instagram @DJCayne and I'll add you guys as well.
Together we can share our experience with searching for this type of music.
Yes, there are a LOT of Indian and Punjabi weddings where I live (near Dallas).
noysetuner 1:19 PM - 8 September, 2016
You can find lot of great stuff at www.djmaza.cool
noysetuner 1:20 PM - 8 September, 2016
Bhangra is more at the bpm what hip hop is 70-110 bpm so it goes well with mixing
Puggy 2:11 PM - 8 September, 2016
As a DJ of indian descent, I feel compelled to help you. You need to first gfind out what kind of indian music your client is into. Bhangra is only one type, but you might have clients who are not Punjabi and only like Bollywood music.

Knowing what they are looking for first is a good starting point otherwise you will be lost lol
RonDu 3:01 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
As a DJ of indian descent, I feel compelled to help you. You need to first gfind out what kind of indian music your client is into. Bhangra is only one type, but you might have clients who are not Punjabi and only like Bollywood music.

Knowing what they are looking for first is a good starting point otherwise you will be lost lol

Dude is right. You gotta know the type of music and which particular Arab/Indian party you're doing. They're very particular. It's like going to a Haitian party and playing R&B or Hip-Hop all night. Haven't done any Arab parties but I've done quite a few Indian/Trini/Guyanese parties. Lots of Soca, Calypso, Chutney, Steel band, bollywood and Parang. And some classical East Indian music as well.

Personally, I found it difficult to get good copies of these songs. I find myself having to buy some of the mix CDs and ripping the songs from there. Sometimes I just let the whole CD play out - and that is by their request. 2 or 3 CDS, some throwbacks, and the party is over.
DJ Remy USA 3:12 PM - 8 September, 2016
If you guys know any of the producers drop there names because collabing with some of those sounds always keeps our industry alive and fresh.

Im mainly into it because the beats move the crowds but no one knows the words so if I can get my hands on more I can start introducing regular crowds to beats.
DJ Remy USA 3:14 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:

Bollywood is my shit but yea Ive learned that there is difference between Bhangra, Punjabi, Bollywood which are the main styles I know there are other but these are the most mainstream are there anymore we need to be aware of?
Puggy 3:27 PM - 8 September, 2016
Some of my fave Bollywood and Bhangra tracks right now

Let's Nacho
Watchwww.youtube.com

Guru Randhawa - Suit
Watchwww.youtube.com

Be sure to check out Nucleya, he played for Major LAzer during their India tour
His album Bass Rani is fire!!!

Nucleya - Heer
Watchwww.youtube.com

To be very honest with you, I do about 20 indian events in a year, and I can only manage these events because I'm indian myself therefore I,ve been bvrought up with the music. For someone doing an indian party for the first time, it would be super difficult to pull it off without doing crazy amounts of research. There are just way too many subgenres.

This is mainly the reason why I refuse to do arabic gigs because they too are very particular with their music. Every region or country tends to have their own style of music even if it is all in the same language or dialect.
Puggy 3:29 PM - 8 September, 2016
Also, possibly the biggest revival of a classic Bhangra track into Bollywood happened this year with Kala Chashma. It samples the LL beat for Phenomenon.

Kala Chashma
Watchwww.youtube.com

This works for Bollywood parties and Bhangra!
DJ Remy USA 3:44 PM - 8 September, 2016
That Nucleya is fucking fire. Its sounds like Major Lazor but indian Im fucking hooked like super hooked
Puggy 3:48 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
That Nucleya is fucking fire. Its sounds like Major Lazor but indian Im fucking hooked like super hooked

Get that Bass Rani album, front to back, flames!

Also peep,

Navv Inder - Wakhra Swag
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remy USA 3:53 PM - 8 September, 2016
I already paid the 7$ and its downloading fuck shit its got me ready to get some ableton lol. Keep these gems coming.

I have a small indian crowd at my saturday spot and I do a little set for them when they come so they be happy I got some new shit that they probably are not even hip to.
Puggy 3:54 PM - 8 September, 2016
Glad to help! Keep killing em!
DJ Remy USA 3:56 PM - 8 September, 2016
What they straight jacked the trap beat swag on these joints but its super impressive to see how hiphop and electronic music has fused everything together.
noysetuner 11:30 AM - 11 September, 2016
Puggy : you are right ,i am just giving a generic answer.I was just being generic.Yes of course its very true to know the audience we cater to know what they want,rahter then what we want.
I am living in banglore and do all sorts of parties with bollywood pol,edm,punjabi ,tamil ,garba and all.

Depending on the event need to transit.
SpinnerRoony 5:38 AM - 26 November, 2016
Thanks for the help guys!

It's funny because I currently have an Indian girlfriend lmao.
She gives suggestions but the clients I perform for tend to request more Indian-Indian songs and less of the Americanized Indian tunes.
Since I made this post I have been researching and watching a few Bollywood movies to get a taste of what they want.

The middle aged Indian crowd is VERY particular on what they want and it most of what I played comes from movies.

The younger crowd wants the fast paced Americanized tunes mixed with modern American music like Fetty Wap, Miley Cyrus and Diplo.
I find myself mixing in TONS of EDM with these types of Indian beats because they favor each other.

But yeah!
I need to re-read through these responses!

Thanks for the help!
MR K 4:37 PM - 9 October, 2017
Dudes here -

mr-jatt.com

if you need some help with playlist - i specialize in Punjabi and Bollywood for over 100 events a year. I work in Toronto and have been in the wedding industry for over 10 years - hit me up on instagram and id be more than happy to help with some playlist

www.instagram.com
MR K 4:38 PM - 9 October, 2017
www.soundcloud.com - for my podcasts, could be usefull to jam a party for 15 minutes pre recorded if your about that life.
Mr. Goodkat 6:08 PM - 9 October, 2017
Quote:
The middle aged Indian crowd is VERY particular

all ages are very particular as to what they want. honestly the girls are the worst requesters that ive ever come across in my years of dj'ing. I'm brown skinned, but not indian or paki, which makes it worse. luckily, i dont see many anymore for whatever reason.
SpinnerRoony 1:51 AM - 18 November, 2017
Thanks guys for your replies.

Luckily I am dating an Indian woman so she fills me in with some of the music but as you said people can be particular.
The last few Indian weddings I had literally all of the "aunties" kept requesting songs after every other spin.
They had fun but I felt like passing the decks over to them LOL.

Overall, I have to say Indian weddings are the best types of weddings to DJ!

Thanks
Aman Gill786 10:50 PM - 20 December, 2017
if you want any punjabi music then you can visit here.accordin to me its best.Try Must

raagmedia.com
RiceCube 8:31 AM - 28 July, 2018
Hi, I'm a bedroom DJ. Just do this as a hobby. My girlfriend's company is having a 2 hour launch event for a product of theirs and she got me to DJ. I'm in the Silicon Valley and the company has a lot of Indian people. Would you guys mind helping out a noob with 5-10 popular Indian/Punjabi/Bhangra songs? Not trying to play stuff that only Indian people would recognize but more pop-ish stuff like Punjabi MC f. Jay-Z - Beware of the Boys. Appreciate any help!
H2o 11:39 AM - 28 July, 2018
Quote:
Hi, I'm a bedroom DJ. Just do this as a hobby. My girlfriend's company is having a 2 hour launch event for a product of theirs and she got me to DJ. I'm in the Silicon Valley and the company has a lot of Indian people. Would you guys mind helping out a noob with 5-10 popular Indian/Punjabi/Bhangra songs? Not trying to play stuff that only Indian people would recognize but more pop-ish stuff like Punjabi MC f. Jay-Z - Beware of the Boys. Appreciate any help!

Hey, I’m not really an expert on this topic, either here, but I remember hearing this name a ways back.

This article is from ‘08 but maybe it’ll give you a starting point to jump the Punjabi MC track. It’s about DJ Rekha, who did a cross over Bhangra type of set in New York

www.npr.org
Mini Z 8:28 PM - 20 November, 2018
Hi! Check out my new single: Watchwww.youtube.com

Would really like to do a remix/collab with anyone who comes up with a good idea.

Regards,

Syed Ali
SpinnerRoony 12:51 AM - 22 December, 2018
Hello DJs/Producers.

Thank you all again for your responses. I was using www.djmaza.cool for a hot minute and it looks like the site is down at the moment. If I find some new sites I'll put them up.

Thank you
GJ Cyrus 6:28 PM - 16 January, 2019
Hey what up all! First time posting here and looking to become a fellow positive contributing member to the forum.

Just wanted to find out if there's been any updates as other than being a genuine fan of Indian drum beats and rhythms (sorry still learning the genre names), I might spin for a few venues/parties catering to the community so am checking out all the helpful tips and advice previously given in the thread.

If I do get the gig and find out more, I'll def make sure to share my experiences as well.

Peace,
GJC
DJ Bittz 3:50 PM - 2 March, 2019
First of all there are no pools for Bollywood music. Websites like AIDC DJsbuzz etc. Provides you with latest remixes of bollywood music. Some producers have their own groups on social media and that's where they get some unreleased tracks. If you don't know which genre of music to play or what type of music people like just play commercial music that's what I do.
The music that appears on TV, which crosses millions on YouTube that people know.
Elite Party DJ 12:39 AM - 28 May, 2019
I have read this whole discussion and it seems to be leaning more towards the Indian genres. I am looking for any leads on popular Arabic specifically popular music from Morocco. My fiancée is from Fez, Morocco so short of writing down the titles she starts to dance to when I throw Arabic radio on my Apple Music I have no idea what to look for. The only way I can find these charts is ripping them from YouTube but the quality is no where near the record pools I subscribe to. I have even researched a dance club from her town and emailed the house dj but no response. Any ideas?
saimausmani 6:37 AM - 31 May, 2019
hi, www.spotify.com is a good place.

I also consult this website docsbay.net which is very useful.
– if you find her research on Rap and Hip-Hop outside the USA visit it is very interesting, which published by Wesleyan University Press
PrinzII 1:56 AM - 14 May, 2022
These are the subgenres of Indian Music I am familiar with....

Tamil
Gujurati
Telugu
Punjabi
Hindi
Bollywood