Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Denon mc7000 ???

Djkom 5:32 PM - 12 August, 2016
Seems to be a new Denon controller for Serato DJ:
www.bax-shop.nl

Anyone can translate ??? I guess it's the little brother of the mcx8000 without the screens...
Tommy Deem 7:52 PM - 12 August, 2016
skinnyguy 5:56 PM - 13 August, 2016
but with dual usb. nice. i'd actually go for that, if i haven't gotten my 8000 already.
skinnyguy 9:25 PM - 14 August, 2016
i'm thinking it will look a bit like the 4000.
Djkom 10:31 PM - 14 August, 2016
Quote:
i'm thinking it will look a bit like the 4000.

The article says it will have 16 RGB pads, dual usb, 2 dedicated mic inputs... so I think it will be exactly like mcx8000 without the screens
Ariel M 3:52 PM - 15 August, 2016
Here it is:

www.digitaldjtips.com
DJ BroMoney 4:38 PM - 15 August, 2016
Should street price for $800 if you factor in discounts. Not bad at all vs. the SX2. Wish the layout wasn't mirrored :/
skinnyguy 4:52 PM - 15 August, 2016
Well dammit, now that's just perfect.
DJ BroMoney 5:01 PM - 15 August, 2016
The outstanding questions:
1) Did the cue light issue from the MCX8000 get fixed?
2) Did the pitch resolution issue from the MCX8000 get fixed?
3) Is the the build quality and sound quality identical to the MCX8000?
Tommy Deem 5:08 PM - 15 August, 2016
forward these to denon :D
Djkom 6:19 PM - 15 August, 2016
Denon tries to replace Pioneer gap in Serato controller range. They just put more features than Pioneer for less money.
But I have the impression that it's too late now...
Moreover some issues (mirrored design, light and pitch issues...) had seriously put some djs beside...
So when Denon says "2016 will be THE year of Denon" I HAVE definitely some doubts.
DJ Unique 9:49 PM - 15 August, 2016
Looks decent.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:33 AM - 16 August, 2016
The USB is gone again. Why? No faith in Engine?
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:36 AM - 16 August, 2016
But then again, USB capability would have required some sort of screen to use. A single screen would have sufficed.

The mirrored layout still remains
serkan 7:59 AM - 16 August, 2016
I'm still looking at the DDJ-SX2.
Only reason:
I hate mirrored layouts!
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:57 AM - 16 August, 2016
So this is the same price as a MCX8000 but doesn't have usb hub or usb input or engine or any screens or stagelinq.

That's one expensive extra usb port on this!

I would have thought it be priced the same as the SX2.

Denons pricing sure is strange.

However it looks nice but
Quote:
I'm still looking at the DDJ-SX2.
Only reason:
I hate mirrored layouts!

Yep hate hate hate them.
Tommy Deem 9:01 AM - 16 August, 2016
For me it dosen't matter is layout mirrored or not. Has no effect on basic performance as an Dj. Most important thing is the feel of the pads, knobs etc. How well each control is spaced to controller. This looks something that takes on pioneer controllers. Nice new features and good collab with serato.

Only thing remains is the quality of the controller and controls. No feel so far of mcx8000 or other high end controllers made by denon.

Price range is same as sx2, and 300$ less than mcx8000. So far so good.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:05 AM - 16 August, 2016
In uk its £849 the mcx8000 when released was £849 in uk SX2 £759
Tommy Deem 9:09 AM - 16 August, 2016
Mcx 8000 release price was listed as 1299$ and 7000 is 999$ so seemly my math is wrong :P
In pounds 7000 release price is 770£ and if u do the math regarding how much lover the release price is there where u live. 7000 price should be 620£ so still cant see how they cost the same :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:11 AM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
Mcx 8000 release price was listed as 1299$ and 7000 is 999$ so seemly my math is wrong :P
In pounds 7000 release price is 770£ and if u do the math regarding how much lover the release price is there where u live. 7000 price should be 620£ so still cant see how they cost the same :)

the uk price IS £849 for the 7000. no way would it be as cheap as you have just said.
the mcx8000 was also £849 in the uk. SX2 is £759 so that is just how it works out here.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:13 AM - 16 August, 2016
i just double checked and Denon have put the price up by £100 on the MCX8000 lol what they smoking thing normally go down in price not UP.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:15 AM - 16 August, 2016
So Pioneer SX2 - £759
Denon MC7000 - £849
Denon MCX8000 - £949
Pioneer SZ - £1529
DJ BroMoney 12:45 PM - 16 August, 2016
This unit can probably be picked up for cheaper then an SX2 stateside if you know where to look. Denon DJ is usually included in all sales so I'm expecting $800, although iDJnow listed it at $1300 msrp. Still too soon to see.

Dj worx posted that interesting tidbit on Pioneer vs Denon UK pricing. They confirmed that it had something to do with Brexit/currency changes due to the fact that Denon is a US company as opposed to Pioneer as a global brand. Still it makes sense to pay with your wallet only if the numbers make sense.
popnwave 6:37 PM - 16 August, 2016
Tempting as an SX replacement for me - finally dual USB for easier switching.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:38 PM - 16 August, 2016
Ya i like this 7000 it's perfect apart from the mirror layout damnnnnn
Mr Wilks 11:05 PM - 22 August, 2016
I'm used to the mirrored layout on the MCX8000 now... It's took me over two months though coming from the SX!!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:11 AM - 23 August, 2016
I wouldn't get used to it as use cdjs alot. If your a turntable/cdj user these mirrored layouts are not the one.
Tommy Deem 2:10 PM - 23 August, 2016
I'm turntable/cdj user and mirrored layout not an issue :p if the play button and pitch slider are positioned different, it shouldn't be a crucial issue to anybody :)
Mr Wilks 2:24 PM - 23 August, 2016
I switch between turntables and the MCX8000 to keep it fresh.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:13 PM - 23 August, 2016
I got no time for that we will see if denon changes that in time. In the mean time i will stay on pioneer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:45 PM - 23 August, 2016
I just did a quick browsing of the Denon Numark controller inventory, looks like mirrored layout is the rule with them.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:54 PM - 23 August, 2016
www.denondj.com

Even when they try to keep things normal with the MC4000 they still stick the pitch controller on opposite sides.

I use 1st couple of hot cues (performance pads) and the play button with one hand to stutter start. With the play button on the other hand it will be a bit weird initially.

Anyways I think the 7000 is a step back from the 8000. That engine-usb capability is the attraction for me.
popnwave 6:26 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
www.denondj.com

Even when they try to keep things normal with the MC4000 they still stick the pitch controller on opposite sides.

I use 1st couple of hot cues (performance pads) and the play button with one hand to stutter start. With the play button on the other hand it will be a bit weird initially.

Anyways I think the 7000 is a step back from the 8000. That engine-usb capability is the attraction for me.

Step back is good, when it is cheaper. I do video so Engine is useless for me :D
Mr Wilks 9:51 PM - 23 August, 2016
Most/all controllers are mirrored apart from the Pioneer ones. I find it hard to find one that isn't.

Even the Vestax ones was (but they kept the transport buttons the same if I remember?).
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:11 PM - 23 August, 2016
And maybe that's the reason Pioneer sells more equipment than any other brand!

Vestax had them under the platter dead central, which was also strange and the one thing that annoyed me but at least if i went for the cue button i just hit metal haha.
popnwave 10:12 PM - 23 August, 2016
Mirrored layout is like driving on the opposite side of the road, either it bugs the shit out of you or you get used to it and can flip back and forth with ease. It's not a big deal these days!
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:16 PM - 23 August, 2016
Or just stick with what you want, which as pointed out only Pioneer do none mirrored layout. So i will stick with that until/if others change.
Mr Wilks 11:30 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:

If Pioneer gear was mirrored it would still sell well.

It's got that word "Pioneer" on it that so many people aspire to own.
Mr Wilks 11:35 PM - 23 August, 2016
The SB and WeeGo is mirrored if I remember?

They just copied their CDJ line in layout but as a newbie if you've never played on CDJs or TTs you don't know the difference when your first venture into the DJ world is a controller.

What's more "natural" is mirrored to someone who's never done it before. It's just people that's used legacy hardware that find the switch a little tricker... like I did.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:36 AM - 24 August, 2016
What is annoying is only some controls are mirrored so its just a mess really.
Djkom 11:13 PM - 24 August, 2016
This mirrored layout is ergonomically a big fail for left handed djs which represent the majority of djs:
- Not all controls are mirrored (fx, player rotation...)
- Pitch slider beside the hand we use to scratch/control the platter causes unexpected speed controls
- Ergonomically the most used controls should be placed near each other. It is not the case for the play/use buttons compared platter control.
- Brings nothing more

This mirrored layout is just a way to not look like the other controllers especially Pioneer ones. Absolutely not a new paradigm for djing!
We can get used to it with time, but what a pain !!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:16 PM - 24 August, 2016
It is a shame as that 7000 looks nice and the dual usb is a great bonus! And screens amd engine don't bother me. Still love me sx2 for now. But ima keep watching Denon.
Marv Incredible 11:48 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
This mirrored layout is just a way to not look like the other controllers especially Pioneer ones. Absolutely not a new paradigm for djing!

This!
deejdave 1:22 AM - 25 August, 2016
Quote:

You mean sells more than ALL other brands combined. LOL True story though ;)
Quote:
Most/all controllers are mirrored apart from the Pioneer ones

IMO actual Mirrored layout applies only to when the Play buttons (etc) are not where they are supposed to be and this really only applies to InMusic specifically recent Denon and Numark gear. Native instruments, Vestax DDJ-SB/Wego, Hercules, Korg, Gemini, Reloop etc all have the play buttons where they belong. As some said it is just a matter of user preference and as also mentioned it is really the experienced DJ's who would be bothered by this. I can see it being natural for someone new to the scene.

As always to each his own though. My NS7II has sat pretty much since the day I got it and this certainly did not help its case with me.
SG SOUNDS 3:48 AM - 25 August, 2016
If the sound card in this sounds exactly like the 8000 ill definitely get this...i love my ddj sx but the sound quality sucks compared to the 8000..hope some more info comes out on the 7000
Mr Wilks 1:34 PM - 25 August, 2016
Quote:
IMO actual Mirrored layout applies only to when the Play buttons (etc) are not where they are supposed to be and this really only applies to InMusic specifically recent Denon and Numark gear. Native instruments, Vestax DDJ-SB/Wego, Hercules, Korg, Gemini, Reloop etc all have the play buttons where they belong. As some said it is just a matter of user preference and as also mentioned it is really the experienced DJ's who would be bothered by this. I can see it being natural for someone new to the scene.

As always to each his own though. My NS7II has sat pretty much since the day I got it and this certainly did not help its case with me.

It was the moving of the play/cue and auto loop/sync on the MCX8000 that took me so long to get the hang of it as I came from the SX. I'm fine now but it took me around two months. I wish they'd kept them in the right order on both sides. the play and cue wasn't a big deal but the loops/sync was a total nightmare as I always loop the intros and then hit sync so on one deck it was fine yet the other deck I was turning off the loop instead of syncing!!!

For the new peeps who's never touched a TT or CDJ there won't really be an issue. I remember when I bought a left hand drive car (a Smart Car) that was a German import back in 2001. It was a weird feeling! Haha!
Ian Williams 8:41 AM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:

For the new peeps who's never touched a TT or CDJ there won't really be an issue. I remember when I bought a left hand drive car (a Smart Car) that was a German import back in 2001. It was a weird feeling! Haha!

My first Smart was a "leftie" around the same time. .....best car I've ever had! :-)

Meanwhile, back on topic. .....I ordered an MC7000 last night. The non mirrored layout concerns me slightly, but i'm sure i'll get used to it