Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Waveform Lag

Dudwhiz 7:02 AM - 31 July, 2016
Well since the "support" from Serato seems to never respond to my emails about the waveform lag that occurs on PCs, I take it no one has fixed this problem yet? As far as I've seen on this forum, this problem has been around for years and not a single Serato person seems to know the answer to it. Fellow DJs, help me out since they will not? How do you guys get rid of this waveform lag that occurs only on PCs and not on Macs?

PS. I've tried every single guide on this website and every single support route possible. Like I said, they seem to not respond because they can't figure it out.
DjSyndic8 8:41 PM - 31 July, 2016
Quote:
Well since the "support" from Serato seems to never respond to my emails about the waveform lag that occurs on PCs, I take it no one has fixed this problem yet? As far as I've seen on this forum, this problem has been around for years and not a single Serato person seems to know the answer to it. Fellow DJs, help me out since they will not? How do you guys get rid of this waveform lag that occurs only on PCs and not on Macs?

PS. I've tried every single guide on this website and every single support route possible. Like I said, they seem to not respond because they can't figure it out.

your right its an ongoing issue no fix to date, having a high spec pc will help a little also try bumping your refresh rate from 60 to 50 in the serato settings
deejdave 1:47 AM - 1 August, 2016
Unfortunately you do not get rid of it. You can have the highest spec'd PC available and it will still exist. As mentioned above you can minimize but no way to eliminate.
DJ Tecniq 8:15 AM - 1 August, 2016
I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro (it's a beast with full 16 gigs ram) and the waveforms are still jittery...so there's that👌🏻
DJ Ravien 9:37 AM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:
I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro (it's a beast with full 16 gigs ram) and the waveforms are still jittery...so there's that👌🏻

Same only 2015, Though I hardly find it to be an issue. Honestly never noticed it till I noticed everyone kept talking about it. I guess coming from my little crappy windows laptop everything seems to be a huge improvement.
Dudwhiz 11:23 PM - 1 August, 2016
What a joke!!! What are they doing with all of this money we're handing them for this equipment and add on packs that are FREE with Traktor???!?!?!
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:12 AM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
What a joke!!! What are they doing with all of this money we're handing them for this equipment and add on packs that are FREE with Traktor???!?!?!

Buying Macs 🏃🏻🏃🏻🏃🏻
sotosoul 8:51 AM - 2 August, 2016
I regret to inform you that this is still an issue on my MacBook pro retina late 2013 and on my mac mini mid 2011 with the discrete GPU...

For all those mentioning "improvements", please compare with versions up to and including 1.7.8, because it was perfect then.

Also, keep in mind that the hardware specs do not matter, since it's a software thing; most *modern* macs have the processing capacity to handle it. However, mentioning them might help with identifying potential incompatibilities.

And finally, it's not just about the waveforms, it's about the entire UI. We casually mention the waveforms because it's the first thing that we notice!

Cheers
DJ Tecniq 8:57 AM - 2 August, 2016
Try the latest 1.9.2 version that just got released👍🏻 pretty smooth on my end with my Mac also CPU is decreased as well.
sotosoul 8:58 AM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Try the latest 1.9.2 version that just got released👍🏻 pretty smooth on my end with my Mac also CPU is decreased as well.

Hi, just to make sure, is it "Version 7-smooth"?
DJ Tecniq 9:00 AM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Hi, just to make sure, is it "Version 7-smooth"?
Been a very long time since I've tried version 1.7 also you can have two versions of SDJ installed just rename the current version to something else and the new 1.9.2 won't rewrite over it. You should have one for testing purposes anyways👍🏻
sotosoul 9:04 AM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Been ... anyways👍🏻

Good that you mention it, but please tell me, when you say 'pretty smooth', what do you mean? Is it as smooth as versions 1.7.8 and before? And which mac do you have?
DJ Tecniq 9:06 AM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Been ... anyways👍🏻

Good that you mention it, but please tell me, when you say 'pretty smooth', what do you mean? Is it as smooth as versions 1.7.8 and before? And which mac do you have?
I have a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro with the best specs out there. I can only confirm the waveforms smooth in offline I have not connected my mixer yet. That test will come tomorrow. Cheers👍🏻
sotosoul 9:12 AM - 2 August, 2016
Multiple choice game:
A) SDJ 1.9.2 UI is as smooth as versions up to and including SDJ 1.7.8
B) SDJ 1.9.2 UI is smoother than SDJ 1.9.1
C) I don't know, but it feels smooth enough

Please select one of the following! Thanks
DJ Ravien 1:23 PM - 2 August, 2016
C! Do I win a prize?!

Just woke up to the surprise of 1.9.2 being released soon as I read it on here I jumped to my mac book and installed and quickly organized my smart crates into folders! Woo!!!

I do agree that the wave forms do look smoother in offline mode, quickly checked with mixer connected and did notice a little bit of jitter here or there but not nearly as bad as 1.9.1

Also diggin the multi column sort feature. However noticed that, once you sort by multi column that it stays highlighted even after sorting by a single column was a bit confusing at first and would prefer that if I re-sort by a single column that it would only highlight the column that is actually sorting. I guess I will have to wait for 1.9.3 to see that corrected.

Really did not expect to see this released so soon...
PopRoXxX 3:24 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Multiple choice game:
A) SDJ 1.9.2 UI is as smooth as versions up to and including SDJ 1.7.8
B) SDJ 1.9.2 UI is smoother than SDJ 1.9.1
C) I don't know, but it feels smooth enough

Please select one of the following! Thanks

A) sotosoul. Try it out!
Richard J 12:07 PM - 14 August, 2016
I'm on a 2016 Mac, I have a pioneer we-go 3 to practice on, no problems with waveforms at all. Switch over to my pair of CDJ900's on DVS, wave forms all over the place.
sotosoul 12:10 PM - 14 August, 2016
I have to admit that there has been an improvement from versions 1.8 onwards but v.1.9.2 is no way as smooth as 1.7.8 was. Try scrolling the lists underneath, you'll know what I mean!
Asymptotic 5:37 PM - 19 August, 2016
"Improved waveform refresh rate on Mac"

Meanwhile PC has been waiting for waveform improvement since 2004.

Big ups Serato.
DjSyndic8 7:26 PM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:
"Improved waveform refresh rate on Mac"

Meanwhile PC has been waiting for waveform improvement since 2004.

Big ups Serato.

this is obviously not a priority for Windows,
Asymptotic 7:27 PM - 19 August, 2016
I'm switching over to Traktor with my next controller purchase. Getting tired of Serato's shit.
Tommy Deem 9:25 PM - 19 August, 2016
No shit with serato, works like a charm. On the other hand, no need to look waveforms, like to mix with my ears and not with my eyes. Allways using libary view with serato. Suits best for me :)
Asymptotic 9:28 PM - 19 August, 2016
It's almost like it's subjective or something ;)
DjSyndic8 1:47 AM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:
It's almost like it's subjective or something ;)

If I waited for serato to implement stuff to suit windows DJs I'll still be waiting till the day I die and that's the truth this is the sole reason why I purchased a Mac, I'm too old to stress out about windows stability and issues, get a bloody Mac guys less stress less problems then windows
dj zaza 5:25 AM - 20 August, 2016
I can tell you the other way I use both Windows and Mac, and I have not had a problem, Serato perfectly turns like on Mac, of course Serato is focused on Apple, but if you check in somewhere forum because most of the problems are on Mac .
dj zaza 8:39 AM - 20 August, 2016
I read that Apple could adopt amd processors in future MacBook, Serato them would be in trouble since it officially does not support CPU amd
deejdave 1:00 PM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:
I read that Apple could adopt amd processors in future MacBook, Serato them would be in trouble since it officially does not support CPU amd

What you read is Apple is thinking of AMD GPU not CPU.
Quote:
I can tell you the other way I use both Windows and Mac, and I have not had a problem, Serato perfectly turns like on Mac, of course Serato is focused on Apple, but if you check in somewhere forum because most of the problems are on Mac .

Not trying to stir the pot but this is often due to the fact Mac users expect more. The waveforms for instance ............................ more often than not Windows users don't even care yet Mac users think it is the end of the world. This then translates into a bug for Mac and not Windows as this is how it is portrayed.
dj zaza 1:15 PM - 20 August, 2016
hello deejdave, perhaps I confused you, I must tell you that on my MacBook retina early 2013 and surface pro 4 Serato not problems of any kind, only waveform and adaptation dpi are available for viewing on Windows and Mac, the situation is different . I can not understand why Serato should manage the interface differently, because everything has to run smoothly on the Mac and on Windows everything is left to chance? I think anyone who has a PC should have the program running perfectly as on Mac, then waveforms etc. are years that the Windows people complain about this, so SSL, and when they created Serato DJ, have not kept up with this, it developed the interface exactly as before. I do not care if all goes smoothly graphically, but they are more demanding in performance, but as they say "the eye wants its part.
deejdave 5:28 PM - 20 August, 2016
For sure. I am by no means suggesting this is the way things SHOULD be. Just reiterating the fact that this is certainly the way they are...............
DjSyndic8 3:29 AM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:

lol Mac is not going to go cheap with AMD processors thats like saying BMW is going to have HYUNDAI Motors in them in the future just not gonna happen

Quote:
Not trying to stir the pot but this is often due to the fact Mac users expect more. The waveforms for instance ............................ more often than not Windows users don't even care yet Mac users think it is the end of the world. This then translates into a bug for Mac and not Windows as this is how it is portrayed.

Agree, us Mac users wants everything to be absolutely perfect yet I see windows djs with waveform s lagging like a earth quake Rictascale @10 and they just deal with it lol

Quote:
hello deejdave, perhaps I confused you, I must tell you that on my MacBook retina early 2013 and surface pro 4 Serato not problems of any kind, only waveform and adaptation dpi are available for viewing on Windows and Mac, the situation is different . I can not understand why Serato should manage the interface differently, because everything has to run smoothly on the Mac and on Windows everything is left to chance? I think anyone who has a PC should have the program running perfectly as on Mac, then waveforms etc. are years that the Windows people complain about this, so SSL, and when they created Serato DJ, have not kept up with this, it developed the interface exactly as before. I do not care if all goes smoothly graphically, but they are more demanding in performance, but as they say "the eye wants its part.

like I mentioned before Serato Prioritizes issues, the waveform lag on windows will never be addressed it does not effect the workings of Serato, its just a visual issue so its somewhere at the back of the line for the long serato to do list
dj zaza 5:16 AM - 21 August, 2016
I'm a Mac user, but I also have a surface pro 4, in fact, if you re-read I said that I have no such problems on a Windows machine, okay list, ok priorities, but it is a problem I repeat that you carry behind SSL, and did nothing to change that when it came out Serato dJ, the same problem has repercussions on Mac where more than four years that there are the Retina display and for their part, nothing has been done to adapt the interface . same goes for writing a 32-bit program, we know how to improve in the program if 64-bit written, but as I write always, satisfy us simply saying that this is in the list but do not know when will be implemented. the last time they had eliminated the match display, after persistent complaints has been reinserted. with this I am not saying that tomorrow they have to change things, but at least start testing any changes to the interface of the high display resolutions.
DjSyndic8 10:13 PM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:
I'm a Mac user, but I also have a surface pro 4, in fact, if you re-read I said that I have no such problems on a Windows machine, okay list, ok priorities, but it is a problem I repeat that you carry behind SSL, and did nothing to change that when it came out Serato dJ, the same problem has repercussions on Mac where more than four years that there are the Retina display and for their part, nothing has been done to adapt the interface . same goes for writing a 32-bit program, we know how to improve in the program if 64-bit written, but as I write always, satisfy us simply saying that this is in the list but do not know when will be implemented. the last time they had eliminated the match display, after persistent complaints has been reinserted. with this I am not saying that tomorrow they have to change things, but at least start testing any changes to the interface of the high display resolutions.

I am starting to thing can this problem be rectified or is it out of Serato's depth
dj zaza 5:21 AM - 22 August, 2016
I honestly do not know, it would be nice to have the list of priorities of Serato programmers, to understand what is important to them, surely the first place there are performance and stability, then the inclusion of new controllers, the software fix problems with the various devices , I think the rest is left to chance, also looks out the echo, how long are asked to eliminate distortion, thank goodness that the company that creates the effects for Serato, yet proven, then this is the result, for echo out any correction, adaptation dpi, no correction, the waveform is good only on Mac. time to time ok, but then things will have to adjust, otherwise requests to improve on what forum they serve if we are becoming of their head and they do not listen to us.
popnwave 11:36 PM - 22 August, 2016
That's silly - no private company shares that sort of info.

Actually I don't think anyone does, because it makes you an easy target for your competition.
DjSyndic8 4:08 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
That's silly - no private company shares that sort of info.

Actually I don't think anyone does, because it makes you an easy target for your competition.

true
dj zaza 5:08 AM - 23 August, 2016
it was ironic, I know that you may not know certain things, I am confident in the future of Serato, and the improvements that will bring the software in general, unfortunately, the wait times are a bit 'long.
DJ Nostalgia 3:12 PM - 23 August, 2016
Seems to be a 'pattern' arising here...

As Serato race to keep up with the competition, adding new features/whistles/bells to SDJ, the stability of the audio/visual experience deteriorates...

Many respondents advocate 'rolling-back' to earlier versions (I've seen suggestions as far back as 1.7.x / 1.8.x !!!) which totally defeats the object of introducing new features...

I wasn't having any real issues with my Quad-core, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro laptop until I updated to Windows 10 Pro & SDJ 1.9.2. Since then, NO version of SDJ has performed as smoothly as they did with Windows 7 - so my 'gut' feeling is that the issue is with Windows 10, not Serato. Unfortunately, as I missed the free upgrade period for Windows 10 & had to pay the full price, rolling-back to Windows 7 is not an option. Guess I'll just have to wait until I can afford either a Mac, or a dedicated Windows 10 laptop (as opposed to upgrading the OS) :-(

Seems to me that the desire of Serato/its customers to forge ahead of the competition with new, improved features is out-stripping the capabilities of the current Windows 10 software/hardware?

Serato Support have also gone suspiciously quiet on my Support request for this issue, despite suggesting all manner of troubleshooting procedures early-on. Further indication that they 'don't know what the problem(s) is/are' - or how to fix them???
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:15 PM - 23 August, 2016
Windows 10 was loads smoother and better for me than win7 again just so many different things that could change the experience! Thats why testing out public BETAS is the best thing you can do to help Serato get the software running good on your machine
dj zaza 3:45 PM - 23 August, 2016
dj nostalgia, I use surface pro 4 core i7 with 16 GB RAM 512 ssd, disabled network adapter, imposed resolution 1280x800 maximum update fps 1ms latency and everything works perfectly, no drop outs, temperature remains about 47 degrees. Unfortunately, if I use Serato native resolution temperatures are higher because there is still support for high resolutions.
popnwave 6:22 PM - 23 August, 2016
Love it when people think there is some sort of conspiracy going on!

How many of you guys work in an environment with project management? If you do, think about "creep" and what you do with your production/live environment (in this case an app like SDJ) to make sure it works 99% of the time in a usable fashion.

Hell, in my work place to even take a 1.00.00.xx revision we have to do weeks and months of testing to make sure it won't cause a work stoppage.

Underestimating to work being done on any software development is easy to do - but unless you are forced to use the latest and greatest the rule still stands - stick with the OS and app version that works properly for you.
djemdub 6:47 PM - 28 March, 2017
Quote:
Love it when people think there is some sort of conspiracy going on!

How many of you guys work in an environment with project management? If you do, think about "creep" and what you do with your production/live environment (in this case an app like SDJ) to make sure it works 99% of the time in a usable fashion.

Hell, in my work place to even take a 1.00.00.xx revision we have to do weeks and months of testing to make sure it won't cause a work stoppage.

Underestimating to work being done on any software development is easy to do - but unless you are forced to use the latest and greatest the rule still stands - stick with the OS and app version that works properly for you.

I am a full stack developer and there are usually these things called user stories which have a priority and a difficulty label and those labels are used to decide which tasks will get put into a sprint(2 weeks or more). If they follow this Agile method, it could mean that they simply pass up this user story every single time or they are just unable to fix it. Seeing that this has been around since before I became a Serato user(started with the NS6 on ITCH), I think it is safe to assume that they either don't care or don't have the resources/knowledge to make it happen.

If they continue to pass up on this fix it could be that they have this on the backburner and have 0 priority since it isn't breaking anything. This is more or less a nice-to-have.
Richard J 6:52 PM - 28 March, 2017
I bought a Pioneer XDJ RX, while I save up for CDJ2000. Sold Serato.....
Dunhill421 7:16 PM - 21 February, 2019
Im having the same issue on the 2.1 version of SDJ Pro on my 2015 MacBook pro i7 16 gb of ram and 256 SSD. Over 100GB unused.. They just stopped responding to me ever since i made a video on youtube and sent it to them..

Ive tried two support tickets sending multiple emails after their first initial response and send a message on facebook and also posted on facebook.

All i want is someone to take the time to say hey its normal, we don't have a fix OR hey try this.

Like what happens if something really doesn't work and you have gigs to play out?? its like we put our faith in the equipment that uses serato and without serato most of the equipment is useless. But they just don't care it seems
deejdave 7:37 PM - 21 February, 2019
Could you post said video? I would like to see what flavor this lag is. There are a few factors which have been discovered but most should be affecting MacBook Pro's 2017 and newer. As mentioned previously this is just the way it is with Windows but with Mac there will usually be a culprit/s causing the issue.
Dunhill421 7:52 PM - 21 February, 2019
youtu.be

I hear ya, I just don’t like that they don’t get back to us. It’s not right

This waveform lag happens every time I mix two songs together. It skips.
The audio is stable when this happens.

In the video I show two of the same song being played and one is infront if the other. When I’m slowing the turntable manually to bring them into sync is usually when it happens.
Seen at 12 seconds in the video.
DJ Tecniq 10:25 PM - 21 February, 2019
Do you have anti-drift enabled in settings? This keeps the bpm more steady and will keep the songs from drifting.
Dunhill421 10:47 PM - 21 February, 2019
I don't use anti drift because my drift is only .1 .2 the issue is the waveforms jumping every time I match two songs bpm

but thanks for the suggestion.

it happens on both of my Macs so I'm sure its just a Serato thing

A bigger issue I'm having now is with my New mixer and Serato
my Rane 72 only causes usb drop outs when I'm changing the effects and or parameters from the mixer. this only stops when I put buffer to 10 ms which is way to much latency for me.
I tested this on both Macs and it happens on both so I'm thinking they need to work on that because scratching like crazy beat juggling on the pads effects on I never get a usb drop out even at 1 ms on both computers but the second I go to change the effect from my mixer boom audio drop out and the yellow and red lights come one.
deejdave 10:59 PM - 21 February, 2019
If you have not done so can you try one thing for me. Put USB buffer to 2ms close out Serato open and see what happens? Also do you have Hi-Res enabled if so turn off then again restart serato. Also I mean NO offense by this but you would be surprised how often this comes up. Are you 100% sure it is USB dropout warning and not the limiter warning light? Thing is FX can spike both as it strains the system (so to speak) and it can also cause a spike in volume.
Dunhill421 11:09 PM - 21 February, 2019
Hey Okay so I set to 2ms and close and then re open and it still does it.
Im sure its USB drop out because the audio skips and the songs go from being in line with each other to out of line.

I can't use anything higher than the 2ms because when I do the songs don't line up correctly.
to get them perfectly in sync one beat has to be behind another.

2ms and 1 ms are the only settings that keep everything inline with each other just that usb drop out happens when I scroll through the effects for Serato from the mixer. =(

I hope its something they can fix with an update
Dunhill421 12:31 AM - 22 February, 2019
Okay never mind that after playing today for about 2 hours no matter what ms I put it on eventually the beats have to be slightly behind each other in order to be perfectly on beat. If I put all the lines together its off until I restart Serato ugh this is so annoying and I don't understand why last year with my ddi sz2 I never had a problem
deejdave 10:49 PM - 22 February, 2019
Have you tried the newest public beta? www.facebook.com
Dunhill421 2:32 PM - 25 February, 2019
no I haven't. have you ? how is it?
DJ Tecniq 6:29 PM - 25 February, 2019
Latest release is shit. Laggy waveform when scrolling or searching. Shits gotta end. Haven’t tried the beta yet don’t care for it🤷🏼‍♂️
Dunhill421 7:00 PM - 25 February, 2019
My wave forms skip at least once every couple of minutes.
And scrolling through effects(Serato) on my mixer causes usb drop outs even at 5 ms latency.

I can’t see one single post on that issue.
But I do see a lot of waveform issues
deejdave 10:30 PM - 25 February, 2019
Yes plenty of waveform issues but similar to what is seen in this post. I haven't really heard of the issue you are having.......... at least not in a long while. Skipping yes but remaining off while music is clearly not, no.