DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Poll: AUTOPLAY

AKIEM 6:52 AM - 26 July, 2016
Question:

A: Do you think Serato probably has more important features and fixes to focus on since this one has several easy work arounds already.

B: Do you think Serato should implement an 'auto-fade' to mix song to song automatically without any gap.
AKIEM 6:52 AM - 26 July, 2016
A
slimmjimm 11:50 AM - 26 July, 2016
C
Hanginon 11:50 AM - 26 July, 2016
C: Gapless Autoplay. The same Autoplay we have now but with dead space automatically
removed from the files.
DJ Ravien 12:10 PM - 26 July, 2016
I was going to say, the last thread didn't actually request auto fade.. but gap less auto play... Regardless SDJ has bigger issues then auto play.

A.
Hanginon 1:16 PM - 26 July, 2016
Quote:
I was going to say, the last thread didn't actually request auto fade.. but gap less auto play... Regardless SDJ has bigger issues then auto play.

Understand - but it should have been Gapless Autoplay from the get go.
Detroitbootybass 4:04 PM - 26 July, 2016
A.

Serato should be hyper focused on stability fixes (not new/improved features).
CMOS 5:16 PM - 26 July, 2016
Quote:
A.

This, there shouldnt be anything added until its rock solid. How much dev time was spent on soundswitch or pulselocker which a small percentage of people will use.
AKIEM 4:13 PM - 27 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Understand - but it should have been Gapless Autoplay from the get go.

Here is a quote from one of the latest posts in the other thread:
Quote:
Autoplay is stupid - we want Autofade - continuous and relay play in and between decks, with the ability to load (prepare) crates/playlists, and even switch them up on the fly.

I didn't include a C in this poll which I guess would be
Quote:
C: Gapless Autoplay. The same Autoplay we have now but with dead space automatically
removed from the files.

That reads like you want the files automagically edited. But I assume you mean that when playing reaches the end of a file it jumps to the next file. I dont know if you are talking about it detecting the fade out at the end of a song, an 'End Cue Point' or are you talking about a variable/set number of seconds that it automatically cuts from each file?

If its the latter, I bet that would be easier to implement but I doubt it works well. If it just jumps from cut to cut (say 5 seconds) before the file ends its going to sound like crap and be worse (imo) than a gap. (That's why recordings fade out btw)

But in the end, clearely people are not going to be satisfied until its just fully automated.
ral 4:24 PM - 27 July, 2016
maybe thats why serato build pyro app?

yeah - A
Hanginon 4:50 PM - 27 July, 2016
Gapless Autoplay is usually implemented in software by simply having a threshold, say -60db, that in the last few seconds of a song, if nothing higher is detected, it switches to the next song. I'm critical of Serato, because this is how Auotoplay should have been implemented from the start. I actually use mp3DirectCut to do exactly the same thing prior to adding anything to my library, but it really is an unnecessary step for something so easily implemented, and as I say, should have originally been there.

This survey would have had far more meaning if you had to specify what type of DJ you are. If you're a working, mobile DJ, that does weddings/parties, there is a real need for this. If you're a club DJ that never uses a mic, and only really comes up for air at the end of your set, it's basically useless.

C I'm a mobile DJ
AKIEM 6:23 PM - 27 July, 2016
Quote:
Gapless Autoplay is usually implemented in software by simply having a threshold, say -60db, that in the last few seconds of a song, if nothing higher is detected, it switches to the next song.
ok, that would probably actually work
Quote:
I'm critical of Serato, because this is how Auotoplay should have been implemented from the start. I actually use mp3DirectCut to do exactly the same thing prior to adding anything to my library, but it really is an unnecessary step for something so easily implemented, and as I say, should have originally been there.

One of my biggest criticisms of Serato is implementing features then letting them languish after tons real world use and data.... This would qualify.

Quote:

This survey would have had far more meaning if you had to specify what type of DJ you are. If you're a working, mobile DJ, that does weddings/parties, there is a real need for this. If you're a club DJ that never uses a mic, and only really comes up for air at the end of your set, it's basically useless.

C I'm a mobile DJ

I do all types of gigs. But the point of it being a poll is to measure support/interest regardless of what type of DJ you are. There is another thread for that which spawned this poll.
DJ Ravien 9:11 PM - 27 July, 2016
I actually just came here to correct my statement as I just re-read where it was in fact asking for auto-fade.
AKIEM 11:08 PM - 27 July, 2016
And yes they could have made it gapless when they released it...... But there would still be a group of dudes complaining that it doesn't sync the tracks.

No one is going to be satisfied until it is fully automated, from auto-download to auto-sync.
DJ Reflex 11:23 PM - 27 July, 2016
iTunes already has/had this. I'd been using it for weddings (automated dinner music) for years. It only had a pre-set time fader, but it was better than dead space before the next track was loaded.

Wasn't this a feature request back in 2011 - SSL era? I remember asking about this years ago.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:29 PM - 27 July, 2016
Quote:
A.

Like finally fixing the AutoGain.