DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

M44-7 affordable alternative for tracking only (not vinyl)

bigbootyhero 4:10 AM - 26 July, 2016
Been rocking 44-7's since 2002 or something. But with Stylus reaching over $50 CAN, they will no longer get my business.

Looking for something with the following:
1. More robust than 44-7; I remember certain Stantons lasting forever - late 90's era. Will settle for equally robust though.
2. Shiet Sound Quality; Not sure why so many people get this twisted - if you're playing serato, not vinyl, good needles do absolutely nothing whatsoever to improve sound quality coming out of your laptop. Please leave Ortofons out of the discussion.
3. Cheap replacement Stylus. I think I remember 44-7's being I think as low as $18? Over $50 CAN these days is right retarded.
4. Good tracking / scratching. Not sure if anything is quite as good as 44-7, but something that can be used for scratching.

Obviously there will be 100 replies stating over and over and over again that 44-7's are god, yadda yadda yadda .. Hey I used to be one of you too, but my wallet is more important now.
DJMark 5:32 AM - 26 July, 2016
Are you really going through so many replacement M44-7 styluses that the expense is a huge deal (even with the now-lousy US/CAN exchange rates)?

The Shure SC35 is somewhat cheaper than the M44-7, and the replacement styluses are a bit cheaper as well. But the SC35 tracks quite a lot heavier than the M44-7, and you might well more than make up for the few $ saved on replacement styluses with increased record wear. And also of course having to buy the different cartridge.

Ortofons aren't even worth discussing in the same post as the M44-7 both because their performance is inferior and replacement styluses are way more expensive.

The Stanton you remember in the 90's is an entirely different company now, and they discontinued their legacy products (the ones that are good) in favor of "new improved redesigned" models that were far inferior to the originals. That was maybe 15 years ago...In the meantime their cartridges seem to have disappeared.
Niro 3:35 PM - 26 July, 2016
I remember some local DJs (Seattle) ordering knock off M44-7 stylus off of Amazon for $10 and said it worked well.
Lou Dog 4:54 PM - 26 July, 2016
Never used these but considered buying one just to see what they're about

www.mcmelectronics.com
DJ Remix Detroit 6:10 PM - 26 July, 2016
Quote:
Never used these but considered buying one just to see what they're about

www.mcmelectronics.com

if you order 15 of them you get free shipping.
Lou Dog 6:48 PM - 26 July, 2016
Hahaha. Yeah shipping is like $8 through them. But with the price change in the 447s to $40 a piece, you can get 2 knockoffs for about $35. Which some people would go for. Anyone tried these knockoffs?
DJ Remix Detroit 6:50 PM - 26 July, 2016
man, ever since i bought my ns7iii, i dont even miss dealing with needles and vinyl.
Dj Shamann 3:04 AM - 29 July, 2016
$34.75 CAN @ Long & McQuade

www.long-mcquade.com
deezlee 3:38 PM - 29 July, 2016
Get used ones from a buddy that plays vinyl when they get new ones.
i am Dj fLiP 8:34 PM - 29 July, 2016
I think the recent price bump was due to all of these new turntables that are coming out.
Once they realize noone's buying it (even the new technics), it'll drop back down.

25 > 40 is a huge freakin jump just for a dang stylus.

I use the 447's because of the output. but all in all, if you're just using it for timecode, you should be fine with the cheaper ones.. because you know, it's just it's just the same frequency playing throughout the vinyl.
bigbootyhero 12:28 AM - 3 August, 2016
Solid responses, thank you.

Thanks for the insight on Stanton, I did not realize that.

Let us know how the mcm ones work out

And yeah that's not such a bad price at L&M actually, good looking out.