Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

REQ: Serato to support non-Serato controllers (eg. new Pioneer DDJ-R* units)

HarryJ 5:04 PM - 21 July, 2016
I made the switch to Rekordbox a few months ago. While it has a lot of features that have been asked for in the Serato community, it still isn't as stable and efficient as Serato. The bugs are being ironed out quickly with each incremental update, I still sometimes feel uneasy relying on Rekordbox DJ during live gigs.

Sadly, I got rid of my DDJ-SX and moved to the DDJ-RZ. Great controller, but tied to Rekordbox. Since it shares the same internals as the DDJ-SZ, is it at all possible to use Serato (after paying for a Serato License)?

I think Serato can make a good business case by allowing non-serato controllers after having the users pay ~$99 to switch back. Would be great for a lot of people coming from Traktor or Rekordbox.

Bonus points if Serato can import and export to Rekordbox (for those who occasionally use CDJs!)
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:48 PM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Bonus points if Serato can import and export to Rekordbox (for those who occasionally use CDJs!)

next.audio
HarryJ 6:32 PM - 24 July, 2016
Yup, I know about Rekordbuddy, that willbe great when it's all done.

My main question remains unanswered -- will Serato allow non-Serato controllers for a fee?
I'm sure i'm not the only one that's jumped on board with Rekordbox that wants to come back and re-visit Serato. Since the DDJ-RZ is essentially the SZ, it should be plug and play with Serato. I'm happy to pay a one time (or monthly) fee for this to get the Serato license.

Thoughts..?
RodneyNZ 7:26 PM - 25 July, 2016
I'm interested in this discussion as well as I'm contemplating the DDJ-RR but hesitant due to Rekordbox only support.
Would It be up to Pioneer or Serato to allow for support for these Pioneer R* devices?
Daniel Ventura 5:43 PM - 26 July, 2016
as far as i know there is a hacked fw floating around to get a rekordbox ctrl working on serato. i think it's not that hard to get a rx recognized as an sx on serato.
Telony Ex 10:29 PM - 26 July, 2016
Quote:
as far as i know there is a hacked fw floating around to get a rekordbox ctrl working on serato. i think it's not that hard to get a rx recognized as an sx on serato.

holds breath. plz let this be true
IanL 10:05 PM - 27 July, 2016
Well Virtual DJ just released version 8.2 which supports the DDJ RX and RR... Will serato though? Probably not given that they don't even directly support the CDJ 2000 NXS without needing to connect via a mixer!

I used to love serato but these decisions have made me lose interest!
LilSwann 11:39 PM - 27 July, 2016
I highly doubt this would happen as the DDJ "R" series are all basically copies of the "S" series equivalent. This meaning that Pioneer put these out to be Rekordbox only controllers otherwise they wouldn't release a whole new line of products that so closely resemble the Serato counterparts. If you want a controller that supports both Serato and Rekordbox at this point then you just want to look at one of the "S" series Pioneer controllers.
IanL 4:46 AM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
I highly doubt this would happen as the DDJ "R" series are all basically copies of the "S" series equivalent. This meaning that Pioneer put these out to be Rekordbox only controllers otherwise they wouldn't release a whole new line of products that so closely resemble the Serato counterparts. If you want a controller that supports both Serato and Rekordbox at this point then you just want to look at one of the "S" series Pioneer controllers.

But virtual DJ supports them?
LilSwann 6:26 AM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Even though you may not agree virtual DJ is not in the same playing field as Serato and Rekordbox. You also have to understand that when something works with Serato especially with a controller there has to cooperation between the 2 companies to make everything. You forget that Serato DJ gets "activated" when you plug in supported hardware. Pioneer would need to collaborate with Serato for the "R" series controllers to work with SDJ and that's not going to happen. These controllers were made by Pioneer to specifically be supported by and promote Rekordbox DJ. Period....
IanL 6:31 AM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even though you may not agree virtual DJ is not in the same playing field as Serato and Rekordbox. You also have to understand that when something works with Serato especially with a controller there has to cooperation between the 2 companies to make everything. You forget that Serato DJ gets "activated" when you plug in supported hardware. Pioneer would need to collaborate with Serato for the "R" series controllers to work with SDJ and that's not going to happen. These controllers were made by Pioneer to specifically be supported by and promote Rekordbox DJ. Period....

Err nope they're still midi controllers!

Serato could just add the support for it and make it a paid add on
LilSwann 7:06 AM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:

Err nope they're still midi controllers!

Serato could just add the support for it and make it a paid add on

Does Rekordbox support plug and play with every controller even though you pretty much have to pay for their software unless you buy Rekordbox controller? No they don't they might allow any sound card to be used but that's about it. That's not how Serato has ever worked since it came out with any of it's 3 different softwares it's had. Serato is plug and play only with supported hardware that is made from other manufacturers and Serato works with these other companies to make sure the controller works properly with their software. Why do you think Rekordbox DJ was made in the first place?

Pioneer had different ways they wanted to make their hardware but when you work with a 3rd party that makes the software they wasn't on the same roadmap. So with that they made Rekordbox DJ and came out with the R series controllers to show how their hardware and software work together since they make both now.

Finally what would be the point of supporting the R series Pioneer controllers when the S series is bascially the same thing. Just buy a S series controller and then you have the option of using either Serato DJ natively or Rekordbox DJ with the purchase so you have the best of both worlds. It wouldn't even make sense to support controllers that are the same as other controllers they already had so that's happening bro I'm sorry.
IanL 7:17 AM - 28 July, 2016
To stop them losing 90% of their customers to Rekordbox as nobody wants to use Denon (Numark) equipment!
IanL 7:17 AM - 28 July, 2016
And yes I agree the SX2 is a much better buy than an RX as you can use it with anything!
LilSwann 9:25 AM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
To stop them losing 90% of their customers to Rekordbox as nobody wants to use Denon (Numark) equipment!

They aren't losing anybody if you're buying a Rekordbox controller you're buying it to use with Rekordbox software just like any Serato controller......I wouldn't say anybody either I would buy a Numark NS7 2 or 3 over a SZ for instance or buy a Denon MCX-8000 over a SX.

Quote:
And yes I agree the SX2 is a much better buy than an RX as you can use it with anything!

Exactly my point a SX2 is essentially the same as a RX the difference is what software(s) they are compatible with. Rekordbox controllers are meant to only be natively supported with Rekordbox as Pioneer is creating their own hardware/software ecosystem like Apple for example.
PopRoXxX 7:55 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:

Virtual DJ supports a lot of stuff they don't ask for. They don't care about contracts with other companies. They just go on without asking lol

I don't ever trust that

You do realize that Serato has to put time, money, resources and bodies behind development to make something work according to their standards right? Not to mention the contracts between both companies. It's not like they just say "Ok, it's super easy. We will just flip the on switch and you're ready to go."

And also ..... why buy a Pioneer R-Series controller that works with Rekordbox only and ask for Serato compatibility in the first place? When you can just buy a Pioneer S-Series controller that's pretty much the same exact thing, but works for Serato AND Rekordbox? That makes no sense to me 😂
IanL 7:58 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Virtual DJ supports a lot of stuff they don't ask for. They don't care about contracts with other companies. They just go on without asking lol

I don't ever trust that

You do realize that Serato has to put time, money, resources and bodies behind development to make something work according to their standards right? Not to mention the contracts between both companies. It's not like they just say "Ok, it's super easy. We will just flip the on switch and you're ready to go."

And also ..... why buy a Pioneer R-Series controller that works with Rekordbox only and ask for Serato compatibility in the first place? When you can just buy a Pioneer S-Series controller that's pretty much the same exact thing, but works for Serato AND Rekordbox? That makes no sense to me 😂

I didn't buy it... I got it free!

And no pretty sure they don't need a contract, they just need to map the controller and it'll work. It's a sound card with buttons
PopRoXxX 8:01 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:

Makes sense. But that's on you ..... not Serato. It was stated the day they came out

Quote:
And no pretty sure they don't need a contract, they just need to map the controller and it'll work. It's a sound card with buttons

You obviously don't realize how Serato likes to work on these situations. They use contracts on everything their name is on. But at least you've been enlightened now 👍
IanL 5:29 PM - 29 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Makes sense. But that's on you ..... not Serato. It was stated the day they came out

Quote:

You obviously don't realize how Serato likes to work on these situations. They use contracts on everything their name is on. But at least you've been enlightened now 👍

Well if you don't evolve you get left behind!

I know if Serato supported CDJ's without the need to have to wire a mixer in i'd still be using their software... but they don't so i'm not and I can't be the only one!
Rekordbox does!
Traktor does!
Virtual DJ does!
Djay Pro does!

All i'm suggesting is they add CDJ 2000 NXS & NXS2 support WITHOUT needing to wire up the mixer and make it a paid add on.