DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What Happened To 100.3 The Beat So. Cal?

twinsouls 12:33 AM - 31 May, 2006
Not that I listen to the radio much (because of the same playlist over and over) but I was wondering whats is going on with The Beat. They like play Hot 92 Jams stuff now and no more Hip Hop. This is bull because I always chose 100.3 over Power 106. They play more RnB on the Beat. There website is even down ("Under Construction"). Anyone know whats going on?
Julls 12:48 AM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
Not that I listen to the radio much (because of the same playlist over and over) but I was wondering whats is going on with The Beat. They like play Hot 92 Jams stuff now and no more Hip Hop. This is bull because I always chose 100.3 over Power 106. They play more RnB on the Beat. There website is even down ("Under Construction"). Anyone know whats going on?

They are going "easy listening"! Haha...I dunno man. Is it a Clear Channel or Cumulus etc. radio station?
DjWoody 1:10 AM - 31 May, 2006
It's a Radio One Station.... I also prefer 100.3 over Power. But this past weekend I've been listening to Latino a lot.
DjWoody 1:15 AM - 31 May, 2006
It looks like it's switching to Talk....

--------------------------------------------------

Meet The New Beat:
Radio One's KKBT/Los Angeles

On the heels of the recent news that high profile syndicated personalities Tom Joyner and Michael Baisden were joining Radio One Urban KKBT (100.3 The Beat)/Los Angeles, the station has evolved its music mix to Urban AC to better compliment the new content: The Beat is now "Rhythm & Talk" with the positioner "Today's R&B and Classic Soul."

PD Tom Calococci explains the mindset behind the adjustment: "The industry has changed, and the radio landscape here in L.A. has changed dramatically as well. It's no secret that the hip-hop audience is already being well served by a number of stations, including KIIS-FM, Power 106, KDAY, and KXOL. We figured we'd let them let them fight it out in that crowded room, while we pursued a clearer lane," he tells R&R. "Plus, with the addition of the intelligent content provided by Tom Joyner and Michael Baisden, we felt this was the best move for the station and the company, and we feel we can win with this both from a revenue and ratings standpoint."

Calococci also revealed that the Dallas-based Joyner is deadly serious when it comes to his new gig in Los Angeles: "Tom is buying a house here in LA and plans on spending the bulk of his time here. He's making a major commitment to The Beat and its local audience."

Once Joyner starts, sometime in June, the jock schedule will shape up like this: Joyner in the morning, followed by former morning co-host Ananda Lewis from 9am-noon, ABC Networks syndicated Michael Baisden from noon-4pm, followed by the lovely and talented Free, the former host of BET's 106th & Park from 4-8pm. Armand and the Night Beat will roll from 8-midnight.

As to the fate of The Beat's most recent night team K-Sly & Eric Cubiche, "We're looking to re-assign them within the company," says Calococci. "Although they're not currently on-air, they continue to work for Radio One."

— Kevin Carter, R&R CHR/Pop Editor
jcmendo01 1:31 AM - 31 May, 2006
Just go XMradio....i barely listen to radio.
twinsouls 1:49 AM - 31 May, 2006
Man This Sucks. Remember when The Beat use to be 92.3? 923 was always my code. Like back in the "Pager" days when you would page someone and leave your code so that the person knew who it was.

R.I.P The Beat.

An Old School The Beat shirt I won for guessing the right producer to a certain song while The Beat was at a Foot Locker in Cerritos:
i18.photobucket.com

After Winning 2nd Place for writing a rap song for a contest caled "Wrap It Up" which Power 106 later had the same contest. I won CD's, Tickets to a couple of different places. Other than That, this card is the only proof of my winnings because I signed the song over to the Station without keeping a copy for myself. I never thought I would have gotten 2nd:
i18.photobucket.com
i18.photobucket.com
djtrackie 2:44 AM - 31 May, 2006
they'll probably switch back to hiphop when they figure out that all the money is at commercial hiphop.
Dj KaGeN 3:46 AM - 31 May, 2006
SIRIUS blows XM radio out of the water. XM has been goofin up lately, why hop aboard the sinking boat?
Sim 3:57 AM - 31 May, 2006
Sirius ftw

u wont care about wat happened to the Beat once u have satellite

but I did like it better than Power while it was around
hologram 4:31 AM - 31 May, 2006
Wait who owns KDAY? hehe
Dj KaGeN 4:42 AM - 31 May, 2006
you will not go back to FREE radio after hooking up satellite.
DJ Unique 5:40 AM - 31 May, 2006
I love my Sirius.
Wish there was more Dance/Electronic stations though.
Dj K.Smith 5:46 AM - 31 May, 2006
Why pay to listen to the radio in the first place?
Dj KaGeN 5:49 AM - 31 May, 2006
NO COMMERCIALS - DIRTY WORDS ARE ALLOWED, how's that for starters. Real genre's of music. Over 100 channels. No stupid call in and win and listen to stoopid broads screaming on the radio. It's just better ALL THE TIME, except when stopped under a bridge.
Sim 5:50 AM - 31 May, 2006
I now hate bridges since gettin sirius
Dj KaGeN 5:52 AM - 31 May, 2006
traffic + bridges... overwise tis all GOOD.. raw dog cracks my shizzle up all the time, Stern is dope, and all the music.... Regular radio and CD's for me are a thing of the past.
mightyjunebugg 3:44 PM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
Man This Sucks. Remember when The Beat use to be 92.3? 923 was always my code. Like back in the "Pager" days when you would page someone and leave your code so that the person knew who it was.

R.I.P The Beat.

An Old School The Beat shirt I won for guessing the right producer to a certain song while The Beat was at a Foot Locker in Cerritos:
i18.photobucket.com

After Winning 2nd Place for writing a rap song for a contest caled "Wrap It Up" which Power 106 later had the same contest. I won CD's, Tickets to a couple of different places. Other than That, this card is the only proof of my winnings because I signed the song over to the Station without keeping a copy for myself. I never thought I would have gotten 2nd:
i18.photobucket.com
i18.photobucket.com

damn, twinsouls got souvineers!
Dj K.Smith 3:57 PM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
NO COMMERCIALS - DIRTY WORDS ARE ALLOWED, how's that for starters. Real genre's of music. Over 100 channels. No stupid call in and win and listen to stoopid broads screaming on the radio. It's just better ALL THE TIME, except when stopped under a bridge.

So just because you can hear B%tch or F@ck that's a reason to get and pay for radio? Step out of the box for a minute and really peep what you're saying. If you want to hear cuss words buy/download the cd. But to pay for someone to have a program where obscenities are the main course, wow...

We as a society seem to fall for anything that is "hot". In a few years, our morals will dip even lower when B&tch and F@ck are allowed on tv...
Dj KaGeN 4:37 PM - 31 May, 2006
I'm thinking along the lines of all the FCC bullshit that has made terrestrial radio bland / boring and full of commercials. Do I need swear words to make radio sound good? No - but hearing comedy from the greats unedited is damn funny. Howard stern uncensored is damn funny. In addition, the music content has the unedited version. To me this is worth the money and it’s a big change from the free stuff you're listening to. Hearing it the way the artist intended it to be heard.
anewsome 4:45 PM - 31 May, 2006
When 92.3 The Beat was in it's heyday, they were bad as hell. When they had on air personalities like Tre Black, Theo, Julio G. They were pretty damn hot. I remember they would get the biggest names to drop in studio and just hang for a minute. I remember being at one of the first Summer Jam concerts (one of the few with no stabbings) and having all-access pass. I was sitting behind the speaker stacks, on stage with queen latifah, watching brandy and naughty by nature, hanging out in the trailer with the gap band. what happened to this station man!
kidjay 5:12 PM - 31 May, 2006
Why listen to any of those stations when you can listen to me on 99.1 KGGI......Kidding....

100.3 the beat owned by Radio One, changed because the competition in L.A. is getting tough.. There is Power, KIIS, KDAY, and Latino all playing hip hop & R&B. The best bet for them was to switch over now....

And if you really want to listen to me, I'm on-air as a personality every saturday from 2p-6p and a mixer every Friday night from 12am - 3am on 99.1 KGGI.
mightyjunebugg 5:36 PM - 31 May, 2006
KGGI used to be my station back in high school when I lived in Riverside!
twinsouls 5:51 PM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
When 92.3 The Beat was in it's heyday, they were bad as hell. When they had on air personalities like Tre Black, Theo, Julio G. They were pretty damn hot. Summer Jam concerts (one of the few with no stabbings) and having all-access pass.what happened to this station man!
Don't forget about Kevin Nash with NightBeat. Crazy how Julio G and Steve Harvy are on KDAY now. Oh well I guess no more Summer Jam. Caught the last two. last year with G-Unit and the the year before was off the hook, Had backstage area passes w/ free drinks and front row seats, actually 2nd row. I met Raphael Saadiq and got his autograph. And the wife from The Huegly's, Dont know her name but damn she was hot in person)That day was the Sh**. Had to frame it up:i18.photobucket.com

Quote:
Why listen to any of those stations when you can listen to me on 99.1 KGGI......Kidding....

100.3 the beat owned by Radio One, changed because the competition in L.A. is getting tough.. There is Power, KIIS, KDAY, and Latino all playing hip hop & R&B. The best bet for them was to switch over now....
Could never get 99.1 in L.A. but now that I live in Chino it's cool. As far as KIIS, I always hated this "Super Commercial" station with there mix of different genres but now all I hear on the staion is Hip Hop. I stand firm, Screw this staion.
mightyjunebugg 6:16 PM - 31 May, 2006
twinsouls...I grew up in Chino! If you ever need your car fixed...let me know, my dad owns a repair shop out there. (Chino & Yorba)
Sim 6:27 PM - 31 May, 2006
who owns a speaker shop, I needa change out my speakers on my coupe, I hate them lol
twinsouls 6:55 PM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
twinsouls...I grew up in Chino! If you ever need your car fixed...let me know, my dad owns a repair shop out there. (Chino & Yorba)
Thanks, thats only a couple blocks from my crib.
mightyjunebugg 6:56 PM - 31 May, 2006
dstyles lives in chino too....wait a minute~!
kidjay 7:55 PM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
As far as KIIS, I always hated this "Super Commercial" station with there mix of different genres but now all I hear on the staion is Hip Hop. I stand firm, Screw this staion.

Twinsouls I hear ya about KIIS, but they are the #1 station in L.A.....There doing something right.
el presidente 4:12 AM - 1 June, 2006
i'm a big, big power 106 supporter, but i LOVED kevin slow jammin james weekend nights on the beat. that was some of the dopest radio i had heard since the days of the real kday (1580 am).

radio one needed to do something with kkbt, becuase they were hurting bad. the la radio market is insanely competitive at the moment, especially in the chr/urban/churban/top 40 areas. plus the massive spanish language stations and their influence is creating a competitive landscape rarely seen. anyways, its fascinating stuff if you are in the industry or have a vested interest.
DJ EkSeL 5:00 AM - 2 June, 2006
It's all about power 106 "Puro Pinche Party"
djtrackie 5:35 AM - 2 June, 2006
cali caliente
twinsouls 5:02 PM - 2 June, 2006
Lucious Liz = Hot :)

Power 106 "The Sh**"? = Not