DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So was G-Smooths redbull threestyle winning dj set....faked?!

Dj-M.Bezzle 7:32 PM - 12 July, 2016
youtu.be

Discuss
Cyberia 9:18 PM - 12 July, 2016
Those ultra fast transforms were clearly done using the FX and he tried to play it off on the fader.

So sad to see people resort to faking an artform.

I think it might be a great idea to have a judge watching behind the DJ and at the screen to make sure that all that is being depicted is authentic.

That being said, the only true way to put everyone on an even playing field is to lose the laptop and use real vinyl. We all know that won't happen anytime soon...
nik39 10:26 PM - 12 July, 2016
I still can't believe it, that he did it. But there are always "pioneers" ;)

It's not easy for the judges to spot such faking because they often do not sit close to the DJ setup and don't have a closeup on their screens (if they have a screen).
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:26 AM - 13 July, 2016
Right at about 1:09 the sounds don't match where the record should be. #Fugazi
DJ Ravien 4:12 AM - 13 July, 2016
Damn it I have been doing it all wrong. I've been actually trying to use my controller for more then a giant ipod. SMH.

He forgot to move the channel fader down on forgot about dre yet the audio cut out.
Dj Shamann 4:47 AM - 13 July, 2016
Private, did anybody get a rip before they took it down?
DJ Ravien 5:23 AM - 13 July, 2016
Here's another vid tho, can still see the same bs

www.downvids.net
DJ Ravien 6:31 AM - 13 July, 2016
I think this photo says it all.

oi67.tinypic.com
DJ Remy USA 4:52 PM - 13 July, 2016
its fake hes been called out by even Redbull I heard they stripped his title. Nasty business man his cred is ruined I feel bad for the dude kinda because you cant even recover he has to pick a new hobby or whatever
Dj Shamann 4:57 PM - 13 July, 2016
Their statement:

www.facebook.com
Dj Shamann 4:59 PM - 13 July, 2016
I just don't get it, clearly, if you understand the movements needed to mime the set, you must be able to actually do those moves somewhat. And imagine how much practice you would have to do to remember each movement?

Why not just practice the actual routine to get it clean instead of miming it?
DJ Remy USA 5:02 PM - 13 July, 2016
Exactly I could tell he knew how to handle the record so why play a ableton pre mix when you're live is beyond me.
DJ Ravien 6:46 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
its fake hes been called out by even Redbull I heard they stripped his title. Nasty business man his cred is ruined I feel bad for the dude kinda because you cant even recover he has to pick a new hobby or whatever

Same here but he has no one to blame but himself.

Quote:
I just don't get it, clearly, if you understand the movements needed to mime the set, you must be able to actually do those moves somewhat. And imagine how much practice you would have to do to remember each movement?

My thoughts as well, I guess just goes to show how stupid and dishonest some people can be especially when it comes to competition.

The worst part of all this is if the videos never got posted online he would still be the champion. The judges should be just as ashamed imo. Perhaps not entirely their fault but hopefully this will be a wake up call to them and they can be better situated in the future in order to keep an eye on contestants.

I don't see how the people filming didn't catch on. The announcer had to know what was going on since he was standing right there during the supposed "sound check" Why turn down the gain's and raise the sampler volume. Doesn't make sense, and I can't help but wonder if others were in on it.
sumoJr 7:50 PM - 13 July, 2016
haha, whos set is it then?
did he piece it together in studio and lip sync the performance?
DJ Irv 7:54 PM - 13 July, 2016
Those ultra fast transforms sounded like a gater effect to me but, I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I didn't think anyone was dumb enough to mime a performance like that on video for thousands of dj's to see.
Logisticalstyles 8:19 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
Those ultra fast transforms sounded like a gater effect to me but

Could have just been the transform effect in SDJ.
DJ Irv 8:24 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
Could have just been the transform effect in SDJ.

Basically cheating either way.
Mr. Goodkat 8:26 PM - 13 July, 2016
if its not really a scratch comp, is it really cheating? (only referring to the above mentioned post)
Mr. Goodkat 8:28 PM - 13 July, 2016
since the orig posted vid is down, is this the same set

www.andalive.com
DJ Irv 8:57 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
if its not really a scratch comp, is it really cheating?

If you don't fake the fader movement then it's not cheating. If you fake the fader movement then you're a fraud and want people to think you did a transform.

I'm okay with people using the transform/gater effect but, not trying to pass it off as transform.

Craze actually uses the gater effect in Traktor during the New Slaves routine but, he doesn't try to pass it off as a transform.
DJ Ravien 9:57 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
since the orig posted vid is down, is this the same set

www.andalive.com

nope, you can see the actual set here though

www.downvids.net
Mr. Goodkat 10:31 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If you don't fake the fader movement then it's not cheating. If you fake the fader movement then you're a fraud and want people to think you did a transform.

I'm okay with people using the transform/gater effect but, not trying to pass it off as transform.

Craze actually uses the gater effect in Traktor during the New Slaves routine but, he doesn't try to pass it off as a transform.

true, good point
myndgruv 10:58 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

true, good point

but no one in the world would question if craze can do a transform
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:57 PM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
That being said, the only true way to put everyone on an even playing field is to lose the laptop and use real vinyl.
DJ Irv 2:07 AM - 14 July, 2016
Quote:
but no one in the world would question if craze can do a transform

True that but, Craze wouldn't try to pass it off as transform by moving the fader really fast.

At around 2:50 at the New Slaves routine you see the effect. Note he's not pretending to move the fader really fast. G-Smooth on the other hand...
tbone8 3:35 AM - 14 July, 2016
It's interesting as to why he would do that????
I've seen him live before in a normal nightclub setting and he can cut and mix so I do think he would be able to do it live...but maybe not that tight...
It's scary to think he almost got away with it and I feel sorry for other competitors who don't get the glory of actually winning on the night
Mr. Goodkat 7:35 PM - 14 July, 2016
were all playing fake records with crappy mp3s. i cant believe this is even an issue.
DJ Tecniq 8:21 PM - 14 July, 2016
#careersuicide i just don't understand he has skill but guess he was too much of a bitch to perform it live in front of an audience...that's a chump.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:00 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
#careersuicide i just don't understand he has skill but guess he was too much of a bitch to perform it live in front of an audience...that's a chump.

Well good news for him, since tecniq is wrong 10 times outta 10 this means his career will bounce back just fine
Marv Incredible 4:41 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
Well good news for him, since tecniq is wrong 10 times outta 10 this means his career will bounce back just fine

pahahahahaha. Good job I wasn't drinking just then or I'd have spat it out.
Scully DJ Services 5:54 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i.imgur.com
DJ Tecniq 6:25 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Nice to know you're still around. Haven't heard from you since I blocked you on Facebook๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป
DJ Tecniq 6:29 PM - 15 July, 2016
If I remember correctly Bezzle it was something political about how you support Obama still...then I blocked your stupid ass๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Dj Shamann 7:46 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
pahahahahaha. Good job I wasn't drinking just then or I'd have spat it out.

LOL same
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:54 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
If I remember correctly Bezzle it was something political about how you support Obama still...then I blocked your stupid ass๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Even though I do indeed still support our current leader and chief, the actual reason you blocked me is because you couldn't accept the fact that slavery was the central cause of the civil war.....like i said 10 outta 10
DJ Tecniq 10:18 PM - 15 July, 2016
Quote:
Even though I do indeed still support our current leader and chief
Ha! Leader...yeah he's lead our country into war...
Dj Shamann 10:49 PM - 15 July, 2016
Papa Midnight 10:51 PM - 15 July, 2016
Well, guess I better get the popcorn...
DJ Remy USA 3:10 AM - 16 July, 2016
Quote:
Well, guess I better get the popcorn...

Yep pretty much its about to get good.
Quote:
Quote:

Even though I do indeed still support our current leader and chief, the actual reason you blocked me is because you couldn't accept the fact that slavery was the central cause of the civil war.....like i said 10 outta 10

Oh word Bezzle BLM like shit
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yea Im getting the pop secret ready Ive got a few hours to kill
wadup 4:09 AM - 16 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

10 out of 10 for sure.......
DJ Tecniq 7:31 AM - 16 July, 2016
Quote:
the actual reason you blocked me is because you couldn't accept the fact that slavery was the central cause of the civil war.....like i said 10 outta 10
Ha, well get ready cause we're about to have another one..๐Ÿ˜‰
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:03 AM - 16 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:03 AM - 16 July, 2016
I'm saying tho...

djshamann.com

Saves on bandwidth....
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:39 PM - 16 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

*finishes eating apple

So many ways I can go with this but they all lead to the same destination so ill let you choose how we proceed from here.

A) i noticed you just glanced over the hole "slavery wasnt a main cause of the civil war" thing. So... no argument there huh?

B) what war are you talking about?

Quote:
Quote:
the actual reason you blocked me is because you couldn't accept the fact that slavery was the central cause of the civil war.....like i said 10 outta 10
Ha, well get ready cause we're about to have another one..๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh ok, you're saying our black president is starting another civil war? Whats he doing to start this uprising? Do you really think theres a new civil war brewing? Im curious, please elaborate?
Mr. Goodkat 9:21 PM - 16 July, 2016
dont even waste your time with tec, clearly our education system failed him. luckily hes a dj.
AKIEM 2:05 AM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what?

The US Civil War was fought over Sucession, not to end slavery. There were Union slave states. The Confederate states did claim they left over the question of slavery in particular the expansion of slavery in new western states. But it was more a war concerning the industrial revolution happening vs preserving the agrarian economy of Southern land owners. The Emancipation Proclamation was a Union tactic later in the war which did not change the status of people held in the Union states. The fact is whats taught in schools about Lincoln and the North fighting the war to end slavery is false.
AKIEM 2:06 AM - 17 July, 2016
....and please continue
Simi Ranks 4:06 AM - 17 July, 2016
While we're at it, overly pre-programmed tracks should be scrutinized.

I'm still baffled how Shintaro won in 2013
deezlee 4:19 AM - 17 July, 2016
The threestyles drama is way more interesting to me but check the founding documents of the confederacy and the individual states succession papers to try to discern their intent.

The constitution of the confederacy called for a Federal law allowing slavery, not allowing for states to decide.

The racism was out of hand back then.
From texas's deceleration of succession:

โ€œWe hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.โ€
skinnyguy 5:50 PM - 17 July, 2016
so this redbull guy gets his title stripped and is publicly shamed for faking it, yet paris hilton still gets to fake it with no consequences?

=P

*runs for cover*
HighTopFade 6:06 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
While we're at it, overly pre-programmed tracks should be scrutinized.

I'm still baffled how Shintaro won in 2013

I guess Shintaro set the bar for what you can get away with. G-Smooth pushed the envelope.
AKIEM 7:38 PM - 17 July, 2016
They should make everyone submit files they will be using ahead of time.

Or open a DJ mime category, because tricking everyone like that takes some skill too...
AKIEM 7:39 PM - 17 July, 2016
btw, Lincoln was so racist he probably agreed with that quote and worse....
DJ Ravien 7:39 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
so this redbull guy gets his title stripped and is publicly shamed for faking it, yet paris hilton still gets to fake it with no consequences?

=P

*runs for cover*

Big difference imo, Paris Hilton isn't trying to win a dj competition. She ain't pretending to be a turntablist. Besides most people who hire Paris Hilton to dj ain't interested in her dj skills.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:45 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what?

The US Civil War was fought over Sucession

So why were they succeeding
Marv Incredible 7:57 PM - 17 July, 2016
Ah come on fellas. Start a civil war thread and I'll come over and read it but I came here to read about the 3styles. I love you guys but boy can you derail a thread when you're ready.

It reminds me of seeing my brothers bicker. You laugh, you love 'em, but you sometimes you just wish they would knock it off. haha
Mr. Goodkat 10:20 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
Ah come on fellas. Start a civil war thread and I'll come over and read it but I came here to read about the 3styles. I love you guys but boy can you derail a thread when you're ready.

It reminds me of seeing my brothers bicker. You laugh, you love 'em, but you sometimes you just wish they would knock it off. haha

you cant keep em locked up in the psycho ward forever aka off topic discussion forum
AKIEM 10:47 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

you cant keep em locked up in the psycho ward forever aka off topic discussion forum

If someone starts a thread, I don't have any problem posting there. :-)
AKIEM 10:49 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:

But they were not successful - they lost.
lmao!
AKIEM 10:52 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

But they were not successful - they lost.
lmao!
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:12 AM - 18 July, 2016
That was so funny it needed to be posted twice! Lol
Logisticalstyles 12:59 AM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:

+1
Marv Incredible 1:17 AM - 18 July, 2016
Interesting. How far ahead of time do you think would be reasonable? Bearing in mind that part of he beauty of using digital files is you could technically make a last-minute change right before the gig and still rock out with it, which you could never do with vinyl or dub-plates and even CDs took a while to burn (especially back in the earlier days).
HighTopFade 1:37 AM - 18 July, 2016
After with this outcome, I don't think anyone will cheat in the future. Too much to lose and very embarrassing.
Marv Incredible 2:12 AM - 18 July, 2016
From www.facebook.com
Quote:

PUBLIC STATEMENT

Firstly, I would like to start by thanking my family, friends and fans from the music scene for their constant messages of support in such a challenging time. Itโ€™s this positivity, my true love of the music and my genuine craft that will always keep me going. More importantly, itโ€™s this same love and support that reflects the true music scene, not the negative, hurtful backlash I have received over the past week. Nobody deserves that.

I assure each and every one of you, that on the night of the Australian Red Bull Thre3style championship on July 1, 2016 at Boney, my set was NOT pre-recorded. I performed my set LIVE.

Music and DJโ€™ing has been my love, passion and quite simply, my life for the last 20 years. It is the closest thing I hold to my heart, and definitely something I would not abuse with the stunts I have been accused of this past week. The accusations have been utterly offensive and couldnโ€™t be further from the truth.

For 20 years, music has allowed me the privilege to perform at some of Melbourneโ€™s best clubs and events, gaining respect and support from fellow Melbourne DJโ€™s and the broad Australian and international music scene. I performed in my first battle style competition at the age of 16. Since then, I have been in many competitions. Most notably, holding titles such as Australian ITF team champion, ITF VIC scratch champion, PBS champion, VIC Skribble jam champion, All Star International Denon DJ champion and last yearโ€™s DMC, where I was crowned Victorian Champion.

To be disqualified for cheating is offensive. For those who know me, and the love I have of music, would agree the accusation does not make sense. I have the skills and ability to perform that routine live. Those in the industry with technical experience would know that itโ€™s harder to pre-record or โ€œfakeโ€ a 15 minute routine like the one I performed. I wrote and trained for that since November. It baffles me to think that anyone would suggest I could do such a thing that would jeopardise my career and ruin my image, which I have worked so hard on.

We are all aware of the power of social media. It can make you a hero one minute and then destroy you the next โ€“ regardless of the facts. Without getting into the technicalities, my discussions with Red Bull have been very limited and brief. However, this is something that will be addressed on another day.

To the people that have tried to destroy me, you wonโ€™t succeed. I, and all those around me, know the truth. I did not and would not cheat.

It would be impossible not to defend myself when I have been accused of doing something I despise. I am aware that many of you wonโ€™t believe what I have written, you are all entitled to your opinion, though in life there is opinion, and there is fact, and fact is what I care about.

These events will not get me down or make me disappear.

This is far from being over. Until then โ€“ stay tuned, there is more to come. The truth always prevails.

Peace
G Smooth
Marv Incredible 2:16 AM - 18 July, 2016
Interesting. Lots of words. No rebuttal. Lacking proof.

Favorite comment:
Quote:
Your public statement apology is like Bill Clinton's---> "I did not have scratchual relations with that turntable"

I must admit, I'm still scratching my head over why he would cheat in such a situation when he clearly looks like he has the ability to pull it off live. But I don't believe for a second that he didn't mime that set. That's going to take some convincing..and a statement doesn't do it for me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:49 AM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:

If they're not going to submit the file ahead of time, which MAY be understandable, at LEAST do a video feed from the laptop and record it for review later on if questions arise...

That way you can check the position of faders, tracks, and anything else that may come into question.

Or just go back to regular vinyl.
HighTopFade 2:53 AM - 18 July, 2016
Maybe he doesn't think he cheated. Like singers who lip sync in concert.
DJ GaFFle 3:10 AM - 18 July, 2016
So does this mean DMC may now rescind DJ Fly's title?
DJ Remy USA 4:27 AM - 18 July, 2016
Dude is in denial it was faked in parts yea he did some parts live but a lot of that real dope shit wasn't it's a thin line now to with digital stuff is recording perfect scratches cheating in a competiton? Or is pretending to execute them live more offensive? I'm not sure
DJ Ravien 5:15 AM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
Dude is in denial it was faked in parts yea he did some parts live but a lot of that real dope shit wasn't it's a thin line now to with digital stuff is recording perfect scratches cheating in a competiton? Or is pretending to execute them live more offensive? I'm not sure

Nothing was live about any of that other then his dance moves. He may have did the mix @ home... but that entire thing was pre-recorded.

Reading the comment's on his FB page saddens me that people actually believe he did not flat out cheat and are just "haters" I hate that word... IMO People need to stop asking him to perform the routine live on FB even if he can do it and I'm not saying he can't. It doesn't change the situation one bit. He did not perform it live the night of the competition, He eliminated any chance that he might make a mistake and gave him self an unfair advantage over the other contestants. End of story. SMH.
Mr. Goodkat 6:40 AM - 18 July, 2016
wasnt there a pic of his gains turned completely down on the s9?
DJ Ravien 6:44 AM - 18 July, 2016
DJ Tecniq 7:47 AM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
I have the skills and ability to perform that routine live
But he didn't the night of his routine๐Ÿค” also dude barely if ever changed any songs on the S9 during his battle... I don't buy his sob story.
DJ Remy USA 7:48 AM - 18 July, 2016
Like I said in denial over the whole thing I felt some of the transition were transitions from one pre recorded mix to another but that's what I meant.
nik39 7:51 AM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
Like I said in denial over the whole thing I felt some of the transition were transitions from one pre recorded mix to another but that's what I meant.

That's probably what he meant too, when he said he did it live, but didn't go into details.
DJ Jonasty 8:22 AM - 18 July, 2016
Didnt know the 3style was held at boney. I work right across the road from that joint
DJ Ravien 9:11 AM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's probably what he meant too, when he said he did it live, but didn't go into details.

I don't think he even did that, The few times you could see the screen of his laptop it always appeared to be the same track loaded. The cue points on his pad never once changed at any time during the entire routine. He never switched back to the sampler after switching to cue mode. The gain knobs were turned down on the channels so even if he were add scratches over the top of the prerecorded mix we wouldn't have heard them.

He claims the gain's were on just very low.. yet only touched the sampler volume during his sound check. None of his bs add's up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:00 PM - 18 July, 2016
LMAO! Y'all got good eyes...

My thing is this...

There are so many ways to "Cheat" and so many different ways that "Cheating" can be interpreted...

Who's to say someone couldn't invent a way to load a background track in via a headphone input, or a radio receiver in a headshell?

Cut to the chase, get back to the essence and rock Vinyl.

There are too many other variables.
AKIEM 3:27 PM - 18 July, 2016
If someone really put some effort in they could plug a flash drive into an ear implant (or whataver tiny electronics) and hide that in some carts...

Or you could press singles with scratches pre performed - throw them in the og sleeves and print up some bogus labels.
DJ Irv 4:40 PM - 18 July, 2016
G-Smooth did the: Up,Up,Down,Down,Left,Right,Left,Right,B,A,B,A, Start in the RedBull 3Style.
Logisticalstyles 6:07 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:

There are so many ways to "Cheat" and so many different ways that "Cheating" can be interpreted...

True but I think we can all agree that the line can be drawn at fake scratching. Mimicking cuts that you didn't do is just wack. It reminds me of an old youtube video where this DJ is playing Return of the Mack and proceeds to fake the cuts that are in the bridge of the song.
Marv Incredible 6:30 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
It reminds me of an old youtube video where this DJ is playing Return of the Mack and proceeds to fake the cuts that are in the bridge of the song.

Oh that shit's famous. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. haha
AKIEM 6:39 PM - 18 July, 2016
I toured with this dude always pushed start on a mini disc playey while pushing off some vinyl... And other dumb shit like that.... Legit cuing the next record while acting like he was cutting up the chorus...
Robmixx 6:56 PM - 19 July, 2016
DJ Rob Swift told everybody months ago that this was gonna start happening but he got called a bitter hater
Marv Incredible 2:31 PM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
I must admit, I'm still scratching my head over why he would cheat in such a situation when he clearly looks like he has the ability to pull it off live. But I don't believe for a second that he didn't mime that set. That's going to take some convincing..and a statement doesn't do it for me.

Well, Homeboy did a live set over facebook livestream.
www.facebook.com
The statement didn't do it for me but this clearly shows he has the skills to do it live.
I feel I owe it to him to go back and watch the RedBull video again as I still find it hard to see why he'd need to cheat if he has it down so well. Before, there was nothing to compare it to...but now?

Did he bottle it and mime on the night? Or has he been wronged in the worst way? It's starting to look like the latter.
AKIEM 3:22 PM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Well, Homeboy did a live set over facebook livestream.
www.facebook.com
The statement didn't do it for me but this clearly shows he has the skills to do it live.
I feel I owe it to him to go back and watch the RedBull video again as I still find it hard to see why he'd need to cheat if he has it down so well. Before, there was nothing to compare it to...but now?

Did he bottle it and mime on the night? Or has he been wronged in the worst way? It's starting to look like the latter.

The video doesn't lie unless it was somehow out of sync. Parts if it were clearely mimed. Who knows why?
DJ Ravien 3:24 PM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:

I disagree, I watched the video quite a few times. There are many mistakes that show he was not doing it live the night in question. I never doubted his skill but am almost 100% certain he did not do the set that night. Just to name a few reasons...

Moving both channel faders down while audio was still coming out
Not moving channel fader down and sound cuts out. (Forgot about dre bit)
Sound check with sampler volume.
Gain knobs turned down
sampler volume turned all the way up.
Knocking the tone arm off the record
Movements not lining up

Quote:
still find it hard to see why he'd need to cheat if he has it down so well.

I don't see why it is so difficult to see why he would cheat. He wanted to win. Why else do people cheat? I don't think anyone really doubted his skill. However given the levels of stress, excitement etc that come with competition it is easy to make a mistake. He wanted to eliminate that possibility.

Also noted in his live facebook set, gain volumes turned up..
PopRoXxX 4:41 PM - 21 July, 2016
I knew he could already do it live. But I do believe, IMHO, he recorded himself playing it live and used that recording at the actual competition to make sure it was "perfect" instead of actually doing it ..... even though he could.

My MAIN reason, over everything else, is the record marker slipping like crazy on every big scratch part. If the maker was only slipping due to heavy bass on stage ..... you would hear it in the scratches, but the scratches were spot on the entire time. Regardless of sampler usage, volume fader/gain knob usage, cue buttons not changing, decks on screen not loaded/playing, etc ........ this marker slipping issue shows everything

Again --- just my 2 cents. No doubt he can actually do it, obviously. But lots of doubt on the night in question.
PopRoXxX 4:44 PM - 21 July, 2016
I'm also not a big fan of editing the crap out of your tracks so you never ever touch the pitch on the decks. All these "competition" jocks editing their tracks so damn much so they can leave the pitch at "0" for the entire 15 minute set. Like damn, it's become that hard huh? LOL
CMOS 4:53 PM - 21 July, 2016
I think the sampler should be eliminated from competition. I get that midi and DVS are part of the thing now, but it should be what you can do on two decks and a mixer. Whether those decks are controlled via midi or whatever is irrelevant.

You shouldnt be able to throw on an acapella (that switches up in perfect time no less) for 2 min via sampler while deck 1 plays an instrumental and deck 3 hammers out cue points.
CMOS 4:54 PM - 21 July, 2016
oops deck 2 hammers out cue points.
DJ Ravien 5:02 PM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
I knew he could already do it live. But I do believe, IMHO, he recorded himself playing it live and used that recording at the actual competition to make sure it was "perfect" instead of actually doing it ..... even though he could.

Same here, from the way he mimed the set the night in question I was pretty sure he had done it many times. However just not that night. I think it is clear in the video.

I have no where near the skill that he displays yet I was able to pick out discrepancies in the audio and video. I seen no lag in any of the audio ie when people talked it didn't look like a dubbed kung fu film. So that could not account for the movements being out of sync.

Around 6:30 on the night in question (shortly after) when he begins mixing in Forgot about dre. The audio on the opposite track cuts out.. His hands are no where near the faders or the mixer for that matter. He then proceeds to move the channel fader up and down "in time" with the audio being cut. This was the very first thing I noticed, I kept rewinding to the point to be sure. I am 99.9% certain the set was prerecorded.
PopRoXxX 5:03 PM - 21 July, 2016
Agreed ...... And also (even though I don't use it) wouldn't editing your tracks so much to never adjust pitch be the same as just pressing the SYNC button? I mean, damn .............. pushing the SYNC button is probably way easier than editing the crap out of your tracks to retain a "0" pitch for your entire set

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Marv Incredible 5:06 PM - 21 July, 2016
Haha. So much truth in these comments
DJ Ravien 5:33 PM - 21 July, 2016
Integrity

He has none.
Dj Shamann 10:30 PM - 21 July, 2016
G-Smooth defends himself, Skratch Bastid defends decision to strip title..

news.djcity.com
djkurve 11:25 PM - 21 July, 2016
Just gonna leave this here....

*smh*

youtu.be
Marv Incredible 11:32 PM - 21 July, 2016
^ Drops mic
DJ Irv 11:37 PM - 21 July, 2016
We can't make excuses for G-Smooth he has to be held to the same standard as everyone else.
Mr. Goodkat 11:41 PM - 21 July, 2016
just admit it g-smooth. he's like the trump campaign. so maybe he will admit it in a few days
DJ Ravien 1:23 AM - 22 July, 2016
I am honestly sickened with this whole thing not so much his faking the set but the amount of people who actually believe him and accuse others of being haters... That is the worst term ever invented the next time someone say's it irl I may just drop kick them.
DJ Remix Detroit 1:55 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
just admit it g-smooth. he's like the trump campaign. so maybe he will admit it in a few days

mane, dont disrespect Trump like that.
DJ Ravien 2:02 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

mane, dont disrespect Trump like that.

I got to admit, I respect Trump more then g-smooth at this point. Trump would of at least admitted to it, then said some crazy shit about building a wall or keeping the Muslims out to divert everyone's attention.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 AM - 22 July, 2016
Ok, let's do this in reverse...

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and out of sync vids...

Is there any way to try to PROVE that he DID do the routine live?

What in the vid PROVES he was doing it live?
AKIEM 4:06 AM - 22 July, 2016
Maybe the dude actually doesn't know the difference between live and recorded. Maybe his argument is that he *can do the routine live, and *did do the routine live - when he recorded it.... lol
(just trying to help him out)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:09 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
*did do the routine live - when he recorded it.... lol
(just trying to help him out)

Actually, with TODAY'S technology, even the notion of it being "Live" when he recorded it can be challenged...

Digital Editing is NO JOKE nowadayz.
dj_soo 9:51 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
Ok, let's do this in reverse...

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and out of sync vids...

Is there any way to try to PROVE that he DID do the routine live?

What in the vid PROVES he was doing it live?

dude's gains knobs are at 0 the entire set.

There's no way he did it live.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:26 PM - 22 July, 2016
Im suprised redbull took action in tje first place considering its one of the most biased, rigged, contests I've ever seen. I wouldnt be suprised if the powers that be at redbull arent the ones who told him it would be a good idea to prerecord the set just to make sure nothing goes wrong
DJ Ravien 3:32 PM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
Im suprised redbull took action in tje first place considering its one of the most biased, rigged, contests I've ever seen. I wouldnt be suprised if the powers that be at redbull arent the ones who told him it would be a good idea to prerecord the set just to make sure nothing goes wrong

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me I would think G Smooth would call them out on it. Who knows though maybe they threw him some mone or some other crap to keep it hushed. It is hard to trust any one these day's especially when money/image is involved.

I feel the judges are just as much to blame for this situation if not more so. How they can call themselves judges when they aren't apparently watching is beyond me. Just gauging their votes off crowd response I guess. Which is total bs in any case. Why more people aren't outraged at the fact that this can happen vs the guy who did it and nearly got away has left me scratching my head.
AKIEM 3:37 PM - 22 July, 2016
The way shits going that will be a perfectly fine technique in the future. Sadly, I'm less than half joking.
DJ Ravien 3:44 PM - 22 July, 2016
Redbull Thre3style World Producer Championships. Just replace the mixer and tt's with an ipod.
DJ Tecniq 4:17 PM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
Just gonna leave this here....

*smh*

youtu.be
This is quite funny to me. I have that acapella and that's how it totally sounds. Why he's triggering the pads I don't even know๐Ÿค”
DJ Reflex 4:58 PM - 22 July, 2016
^^ Sounded like some basic 'loop rolls' to me. ^^
DJ Remix Detroit 9:31 PM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
^^ Sounded like some basic 'loop rolls' to me. ^^

yeah, the remake def was not as advanced as he tried to make it out to be at the competition.

and at the competition, his pad punching was def out of sync with the track.
SpareChange 12:20 AM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:

That being said, the only true way to put everyone on an even playing field is to lose the laptop and use real vinyl. We all know that won't happen anytime soon...

One could always dream. But the way my control records skipped from the bass on the thre3style stages I was on, real wax wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe they could give each competitor a laptop with the same huge library on it and see what each could do with an hour or so to prepare.
DJ Tecniq 1:27 AM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

One could always dream. But the way my control records skipped from the bass on the thre3style stages I was on, real wax wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe they could give each competitor a laptop with the same huge library on it and see what each could do with an hour or so to prepare.
I thought this was maybe the reason he faked the set was due to vibration/feedback. Is there a way to toggle relative/internal on the s9 or it can prob just be midi mapped.
DJ Irv 11:32 AM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:

Was this on PLX's or 1200. I have a pair of PLX and they don't look like they'll stand up to bass like 1200s
SpareChange 10:38 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:

Was this on PLX's or 1200. I have a pair of PLX and they don't look like they'll stand up to bass like 1200s

On 12's but even after layering underneath them still had issues. I wish every comp had setups on cinderblocks