DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane TTM57sl still a good mixer to start with?

Wolf_505 6:09 AM - 10 July, 2016
New to DJing. Was going to purchase a ttm 57sl just to learn and mess around with as a hobby for $500. Knowing that this mixer has been discontinued as well with serato not being updated/supported anymore, is it worth the money to buy this mixer just to learn with, or is it a waste of money?

I have a MacBook Pro from 2012 running El Capt.

Any advice on purchasing this Mixer even though it's not being supported anymore it would be great.

Thx.
DJ Irv 12:53 PM - 10 July, 2016
If the mixer is good condition it will probably remain that way since it's built like a tank but, it does not work with El Capitan. You will find yourself running through hoops to get it to work with El Cap and remain working with future OS updates/upgrades.

Why not buy a brand new Z2 for $600 that comes with Traktor Scratch Pro and is compatible with El Cap? I have had both mixers and the Z2 is a good mixer.

The Akai AMX is also an alternative but, not a real stand alone mixer and will require the DVS plugin for use with turntables. That setup is $350 plus another $40 for control vinyl. Still not a bad setup if you don't need to play real record or route mic or aux.
Wolf_505 8:33 PM - 10 July, 2016
@Irv Hey thx for the info on the native traktor z2. I looked over its features and not too bad of a mixer for that price. I would like to check one out in person. Nothing but good reviews.

As far as the ttm 57sl I have in mind... I inspected it in person and it is in prestine condition. Pretty much new. No dents, scratches, or flaws. Just the mixer and the power cord though. A friend of a friend is trying to get rid of it and dies by it.

He was saying the serato scratch live software never came with this model? He just bought serato separately and once you plug the mixer in it recognizes everything... is this true?

I found a thread on here that shows you how to intergerate El Capt. to get serato software going for this ttm 57sl mixer.

Your thoughts?
Culprit 9:17 PM - 10 July, 2016
That guy has no idea what he's talking about. Hopefully it ain't stolen. ScratchLIVE is free with the mixer. Works out the box.
Culprit 9:17 PM - 10 July, 2016
SeratoDJ does not work with that mixer
Dj Shamann 8:22 PM - 12 July, 2016
Quote:
He was saying the serato scratch live software never came with this model? He just bought serato separately

Not true at all. There is no "buying Serato" in regards to Scratch Live and Rane mixers. It's enabled, period.

I use a 57 with SL 2.4.4, a 2014 MBP and Yosemite, zero problems. I can't co-sign El Capitan because I've never used it but there are people around here that have experience with it.

The only problem I've had with this mixer (after like 6 years of heavy use) was the USB port became a little wobbly, it was easily replaced. Other than that, the mixer is still in near perfect condition. No paint chipping etc, even though I scratch on it for 6 hours a night at gigs.

If you find that you can use it with no problems on your choice of OS, there's really no reason to ever have to update if your MBP is just for DJing. Alternatively, you could use it for a while and decide you want to upgrade eventually, but you'll never be forced to.
deezlee 10:09 PM - 12 July, 2016
Get a used older MacBook too and run SSL. It'll be flawless and the software is free.
Culprit 7:31 AM - 13 July, 2016
Quote:
Get a used older MacBook too and run SSL. It'll be flawless and the software is free.

yes, good advice.
record player 8:48 AM - 25 August, 2016
what about those of us that have a ttm57sl and updated to OS 10.11?
DJ Pimpcaso 10:51 PM - 30 October, 2019
so do the 57s work on serato without the SL software?
Culprit 1:20 AM - 31 October, 2019
Quote:
so do the 57s work on serato without the SL software?

what? that question does not make any sense
DJ Pimpcaso 1:39 AM - 31 October, 2019
does the 57sl need the original scratchlive software or will it work automatically without it on regular serato
Culprit 4:08 AM - 31 October, 2019
you need the original scratch live software or it wont work
DTweed 1:18 PM - 31 October, 2019
Quote:
does the 57sl need the original scratchlive software or will it work automatically without it on regular serato

The mixer will work without the software but in order to actually dj and mix you will need the original scratch live software (which is free).

Exactly what are you trying to do? If you want to use another software outside of SSL with the 57 you will need the appropriate box. You can’t use serato dj with a 57