DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

JBL PRX718XLF vs SRX828SP

DJ SL1 3:37 PM - 6 July, 2016
I got rid of my EV ELX118p and the EV tops and switched to JBL PRX line but im wondering what would be better the 2 PRX718xlf or the 1 SRX828SP with dual 18's built in.
DJ SL1 7:58 PM - 6 July, 2016
BUMP anyone with information or a good opinion?
DJZed 8:47 PM - 6 July, 2016
SRX828p will get a bit louder and has some extra LF extension to it compared to two JBL PRX718xlfs. Both are fine subs, but you're going to be paying over $2k for a discounted pair of PRX718xlfs, whereas if you look around, an SRX828sp can be had for $1600.
desmorider 10:17 PM - 6 July, 2016
No brainer. If you have the muscle, and vehicle to carry it, the srx828sp.
DJ SL1 11:47 PM - 6 July, 2016
I ended up calling the manufacturer and they said the 2 jbl prx's would be louder consider 1500 watts a piece vs the 1000 watts a piece. Hence the price being more going the single route. So I don't know about a no brainer.
desmorider 12:00 AM - 7 July, 2016
What's the price of the two vs the one dbl 18?
desmorider 12:18 AM - 7 July, 2016
The two seperate subs should be easier to move if you are doing gigs solo. Do you like the look of tops mounted over subs, or do you cluster your subs in center together. You can't go wrong with either choice. Go with what works best or sounds best for you.
DJZed 2:04 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
I ended up calling the manufacturer and they said the 2 jbl prx's would be louder consider 1500 watts a piece vs the 1000 watts a piece. Hence the price being more going the single route. So I don't know about a no brainer.

Whoever you talked to knows absolutely nothing about sound (or is trying to hustle you).
Watts means nothing. If you bought two SRX818sps, you'd be paying more than 2 PRX718xlfs, so his argument is invalid on numerous levels. It's well known that the SRX8** performs better than PRX series. Don't listen to sales people.
pdidy 6:23 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

DJZed was right on EVERY point and btw......Don't trust sales people.
DJ SL1 11:12 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
What's the price of the two vs the one dbl 18?

2400 for two prx vs 2000 for one srx

If you bought two SRX818sps, you'd be paying more than 2 PRX718xlfs, so his argument is invalid on numerous levels. It's well known that the SRX8** performs better than PRX series. Don't listen to sales people.

I'm not talking about what if tho. I'm talking about 2 prx 18 w 1500 watts per speaker vs 1 srx containing dual speakers sharing a 2000 watt amp. I mean even from car audio it appears that if each speaker has its own amp it's going to hit harder.
DJ SL1 12:42 PM - 7 July, 2016
sorry had issue with the quoting from my phone
DJZed 3:07 PM - 7 July, 2016
The sales rep said you're paying more for 2 PRX718xlfs because the wattage is more and they'll get louder, BUT you'd be paying even more for 2 SRX818sps for less wattage. So why is the SRX P series more expensive if it has less wattage?
Cause wattage means jack. If it actually did mean something, everyone would be buying Behringer equipment. :P
DJ SL1 5:51 PM - 7 July, 2016
I hear what your saying but you apparently are not hearing what I'm saying I just want to know. And not even by theory. If I put 2 prx718 next to 1 srx828 what will be louder. Not 2 srx w 4 woofers in it.
Arjun B 6:06 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Both of these subs can be obtained for wayyy less that what you're being quoted. Sweetwater had a one day sale where the PRX718XLF was $799 Brand New. Even now its $949 Brand New.
Quote:
I ended up calling the manufacturer and they said the 2 jbl prx's would be louder consider 1500 watts a piece vs the 1000 watts a piece. Hence the price being more going the single route.
Wattage doesn't mean anything anymore. Like DJZed said, if wattage meant something, Behringer would be one of the best brands to buy. The price is higher on the SRX because it has better components, better quality and a full DSP section.
Quote:
I'm talking about 2 prx 18 w 1500 watts per speaker vs 1 srx containing dual speakers sharing a 2000 watt amp. I mean even from car audio it appears that if each speaker has its own amp it's going to hit harder.
SRX818sp's and 828sp's have more efficient drivers than the PRX subs. They don't require that much wattage to get them to achieve the same level. On paper, the SRX818sp is 1dB louder than the PRX718xlf, it goes 6-7Hz lower but it has a 1000watt amp vs the 1500watt in the PRX. The SRX828sp has a 2000watt amp, but its a bi-amp config, each woofer is getting 1000watts, just like it would in the SRX818sp.

The SRX828sp is without a doubt the best bang for the buck subwoofer you can get in the prosumer market right now. Nothing else compares with it. Even if you stack up 2 PRX718xlf beside the SRX828sp, I still think the SRX828sp will win. If you have the space, muscle and means to move it around, then its the best subwoofer you can buy. If you are a solo performer, then the PRX718xlf might be a better option.
DJZed 6:08 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
I hear what your saying but you apparently are not hearing what I'm saying I just want to know. And not even by theory. If I put 2 prx718 next to 1 srx828 what will be louder. Not 2 srx w 4 woofers in it.

I hear you. The SRX828sp is basically two SRX818sps put together. Each woofer of the SRX828sp has its own 1000 watt amplifer. In my previous posts about the wattage, I was referring to the SRX818sp, which has one woofer and one amplifier, NOT the SRX828sp.
DJZed 6:11 PM - 7 July, 2016
Arjun B hit the nail on the head. SRX828sp will be louder and get lower than 2 x PRX718xlfs.
Arjun B 6:15 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Arjun B hit the nail on the head. SRX828sp will be louder and get lower than 2 x PRX718xlfs.

Just a thought, but I was comparing the specs of the SRX818sp and 828sp, and I noticed that they both extend down to 29Hz. My understanding is that in general, dual18 subs and even 2 single subs coupled together go lower than a single 18" sub standalone. In that case, shouldn't the SRX828sp go a little lower frequency response wise than the SRX818sp?
DJ SL1 6:25 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Both of these subs can be obtained for wayyy less that what you're being quoted. Sweetwater had a one day sale where the PRX718XLF was $799 Brand New. Even now its $949 Brand New.
Quote:
I ended up calling the manufacturer and they said the 2 jbl prx's would be louder consider 1500 watts a piece vs the 1000 watts a piece. Hence the price being more going the single route.
Wattage doesn't mean anything anymore. Like DJZed said, if wattage meant something, Behringer would be one of the best brands to buy. The price is higher on the SRX because it has better components, better quality and a full DSP section.
Quote:
I'm talking about 2 prx 18 w 1500 watts per speaker vs 1 srx containing dual speakers sharing a 2000 watt amp. I mean even from car audio it appears that if each speaker has its own amp it's going to hit harder.
SRX818sp's and 828sp's have more efficient drivers than the PRX subs. They don't require that much wattage to get them to achieve the same level. On paper, the SRX818sp is 1dB louder than the PRX718xlf, it goes 6-7Hz lower but it has a 1000watt amp vs the 1500watt in the PRX. The SRX828sp has a 2000watt amp, but its a bi-amp config, each woofer is getting 1000watts, just like it would in the SRX818sp.

The SRX828sp is without a doubt the best bang for the buck subwoofer you can get in the prosumer market right now. Nothing else compares with it. Even if you stack up 2 PRX718xlf beside the SRX828sp, I still think the SRX828sp will win. If you have the space, muscle and means to move it around, then its the best subwoofer you can buy. If you are a solo performer, then the PRX718xlf might be a better option.

That site doesn't have them in stock and doesn't include free shipping.

As far as the wattage I know that its basically a rough meter for measurement and doesnt mean crap really. It's always been like that for years especially in car audio. I think brand holds more weight and integrity than the wattage of a cheap amp. Just like back when I could buy a 5000 watt Pyramid amp for a car and my kicker or memphis amp would blow it out the water.

I also figured it cost more bc all the features and components and crown amp.
DJ SL1 6:26 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

I read and seen on youtube that they are having a lot of issues hitting certain spots and they have to be programmed with the app?
DJZed 6:33 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

Just a thought, but I was comparing the specs of the SRX818sp and 828sp, and I noticed that they both extend down to 29Hz. My understanding is that in general, dual18 subs and even 2 single subs coupled together go lower than a single 18" sub standalone. In that case, shouldn't the SRX828sp go a little lower frequency response wise than the SRX818sp?

Not in this case. Mutual coupling (+3dB gained from two drivers with same amplification next to each other) works when the drivers are within a quarter wavelength of each other. The majority of the frequency range the SRX828sp covers allows for the drivers to mutually couple, so the dual-woofers pretty much just amplify its entire spectrum by +3dB. The graph JBL posts shows that both the 818 and 828 have like 99% the exact same frequency response.

Quote:
Quote:

I read and seen on youtube that they are having a lot of issues hitting certain spots and they have to be programmed with the app?

If you're referring to the "hole at 48 Hz" or whatever, I can tell you I've never had a problem like that. Honestly, there's a fair chance the guy was just fighting a room node and that's why he had a dip. I've never had an SRX skip any notes--if you look around more, you'll notice that the SRX subs are actually well-known for being about to hit every note needed. They're very full, and I don't feel like I'm missing any notes (unlike other mid-tier sub offerings).
You don't need to program anything with the app. If you want some delay, EQ, or compressing though, you can always use SRX Connect or AudioArchitect.
DJ SL1 6:46 PM - 7 July, 2016
man im regretting getting the prx now i wanted to initially get the 828 to save some money
DJZed 6:53 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
man im regretting getting the prx now i wanted to initially get the 828 to save some money

The PRX718xlf is by no means a bad sub. Both subwoofers get loud with good LF extension while sounding tight. The difference in loudness/LF extension isn't worth losing any sleep over it. :)
DJ SL1 7:34 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

The PRX718xlf is by no means a bad sub. Both subwoofers get loud with good LF extension while sounding tight. The difference in loudness/LF extension isn't worth losing any sleep over it. :)

Cool thanks
dj_soo 7:00 AM - 8 July, 2016
At least you have the benefit of bringing only one sub to smaller gigs if you want to instead of bringing that massive behemoth to a small gig.
DJ SL1 12:29 PM - 8 July, 2016
Question what setting should I have the sub on? Like as far as the polarity and gain
desmorider 1:09 PM - 8 July, 2016
Read up on setting proper gain structure. Depends on what's upstream from the sub. 0 degrees should work for polarity. Try it in both positions and see what works best. Also look at page 18 of your users guide.
DJ SL1 2:06 PM - 8 July, 2016
Ok ill try. I was running the tops halfway and they were still limiting.
DJ SL1 3:31 PM - 8 July, 2016
Quote:
Read up on setting proper gain structure. Depends on what's upstream from the sub. 0 degrees should work for polarity. Try it in both positions and see what works best. Also look at page 18 of your users guide.

So what I'm also taking from page 18 is that I should run through the sub first and then to the tops and press HI PASS to take the bass out the tops. Is this correct? I think my EVs were different bc the tops had a EQ switch that you toggle when your running with the sub. That is where my confusion was coming from.
dj_soo 8:56 AM - 12 July, 2016
EVs use a high pass filter in the tops while JBLs use a crossover output in the sub which send a high-passed signal to the tops.

So yea, just connect your mains to the sub and then output from the subs to the tops with the hipass switch on the subs activated and you're good to go.
DJ SL1 12:45 PM - 12 July, 2016
Thanks brother
DJ SL1 8:21 PM - 21 July, 2016
I have a question and i dont know if the problem is in the board i have or just the speakers. I put everything at the 12 o'clock position and have serato set at 89 auto db so im not in the red. but it seems like the limit light keeps popping up in the speakers. I have a pioneer ddj sx2. Also how many speakers can i get away with on an outlet.
DJ SL1 1:57 PM - 22 July, 2016
anyone???
desmorider 1:23 AM - 23 July, 2016
How many of which speakers can you get away with on one circuit? The user guide should tell you what the current draw is for the speakers you have. Are we talking a 15amp, 20amp, 30amp circuit. You got to give us more to work with man.
DJ SL1 3:35 PM - 23 July, 2016
I have no idea I just go to places and plug up
desmorider 5:11 PM - 23 July, 2016
Ok. So we know you have two 718's, what are the other speakers your using? Your answers lie within the spec sheets and/or manuals of your gear.
DJ SL1 7:20 PM - 23 July, 2016
Vedant 5:38 PM - 21 March, 2017
Hi I have srx828sp which I m using for prx 725 newly bought. Could u plz let me know how to set crossover on srx 828sp which I m still getting bass on prx 725 which has to cut automatically
Dj MrMiixx 3:23 AM - 26 March, 2017
the menu on your 828sp s will give you a few options ...as you turn that rotary knob youll see hp filters by hertz variables,,ie 50 63 80 100 125 ....as a begginner go with 80 and the sub with adjust its hp automatically those 725s..but there is a more advanced setting..as well which ive yet to learn
SanFran Fatztreeboy 6:23 PM - 22 November, 2017
gotta chip in even though i am late to the thread. i own both. i have a pair of prx818xlp's and i own a single srx828p..... and the winner is the SRX828p.... of course it is... it is srx vs prx..... different better drivers... more pro, more efficient cabnit. i use them interchangeably. with either a pair of srx 815's or srx835's. ( indoors i think the 815's sound way better. it has something to do w/ their wider field of view. 90 wide in comparison to 60 for the srx835.) also, i use a driverrack PAfor one function. the sub harmonic generator.... it fills in the bottom in a muscical great way. both subs go so low that some songs do not have tones to match and take advantage of this that low. so u are just turning up mid bass tones sometimes when u try n crank it loud. w/ the DBX SubHarGen it takes the lowest note in the song, copies it at 1 octave lower and blends it in. you have 3 cool ways to control it.. so when i use this the srx 828 is really being pushed and it does low deep thuds perfect. the prx can sound boomy, just a little, and u have to back them off or adjust something. that makes sense since they r rated 6hrtz higher and 6dbl quieter ... (srx828 goes to 29hrtz@141dbl and the prx818 to 35hrtz at 135 dbl)... also, i seen these at 750 bucks / dent n scratch at AMS. that is the deal i got this year($759x32) including 2 free bags, no tax, free shipping... the 828's r commonly available, dent n scratch, for 1600 pprox :)
DJ GaFFle 9:19 PM - 23 November, 2017
Quote:
gotta chip in even though i am late to the thread. i own both. i have a pair of prx818xlp's and i own a single srx828p..... and the winner is the SRX828p.... of course it is... it is srx vs prx..... different better drivers... more pro, more efficient cabnit. i use them interchangeably. with either a pair of srx 815's or srx835's. ( indoors i think the 815's sound way better. it has something to do w/ their wider field of view. 90 wide in comparison to 60 for the srx835.) also, i use a driverrack PAfor one function. the sub harmonic generator.... it fills in the bottom in a muscical great way. both subs go so low that some songs do not have tones to match and take advantage of this that low. ...

That statement sounds crack-induced. Off-axis, (from 60-90 angles), sure the SRX815 will sound better simply from its 90 degree design but on-axis and up to 60 degree angles the SRX835 buries the 815 hands down in sound quality, clarity or loudness, indoor or outdoor...
Dj Wunder 10:39 PM - 19 August, 2018
Quote:
JBLs use a crossover output in the sub which send a high-passed signal to the tops.

So yea, just connect your mains to the sub and then output from the subs to the tops with the hipass switch on the subs activated and you're good to go.

Hey Soo are you 100% sure about that? I've been reading up and I can't get confirmation that the 828sp will send a high pass signal from the output.

I'm looking for a good sub that will high pass at 80hz
dj_soo 3:04 AM - 21 August, 2018
i've never used the 828, but every other JBL sub has functioned this way. There are quite a few 828 owners on here tho so maybe track one down an pm them.

I do know the VRX918SP subs do high pass at 80hz tho.
O.B.1 3:59 PM - 11 January, 2019
I own a pair of JBL SRX828sp dual 18" subs along with a pair of the matching SRX835p 3-way tops.
Both models include built in processing containing several useful presets as well as customizable parameters such as crossover settings. (all easily accessible on a LED screen menu located on the speaker cabinet's rear panel. The default setting for my particular configuration is at 100hz but depending on the application/room I sometimes adjust by ear.
DJ SL1 8:11 PM - 16 September, 2019
ok so i am a little late getting the srx828sp but i bought them a few months ago. I still havent taken it out the box so I hope it works. But my question is what casters can I fit on them that don't cost an arm and a leg? Do I need to measure the holes or are they pretty much universal?
pdidy 9:40 PM - 16 September, 2019
Quote:
ok so i am a little late getting the srx828sp but i bought them a few months ago. I still havent taken it out the box so I hope it works. But my question is what casters can I fit on them that don't cost an arm and a leg? Do I need to measure the holes or are they pretty much universal?

www.idjnow.com
DJ SL1 1:48 PM - 19 September, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

www.idjnow.com

Yeah definitely don't want those I want cheap 30 dollar or so ones that fit.
pdidy 9:42 PM - 19 September, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.idjnow.com

Yeah definitely don't want those I want cheap 30 dollar or so ones that fit.

No prob, I got the info for those too.....www.amazon.com
DJ SL1 5:19 PM - 20 September, 2019
Are those direct bolt on and how do you measure them. Is there a step above those with colored wheels